The Realism Challenge - Biased VS Unbiased Showdown
Posted: 17 February 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
Harry Dresden - 17 February 2013 10:47 AM
Jaderail - 17 February 2013 10:31 AM

Gee really this again? I’ve always been of the impression that it’s not the tools that create but the person using the tools. I’ll link to two of my old ones and you figure out what they were done wih.
http://jaderail.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/art/Bruuna-by-JJW-296745874?_sid=2bc68410
http://jaderail.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/art/A-moment-in-time-316364781?_sid=4bf3f581

Not cool. If you don’t like the topic then don’t spoil it for the rest. And if you actually read the intro you’d have realised the point is exactly to prove that it’s the artist that makes the tool.

Opps, sorry bout that. It was just a spur of the moment thing. Carry on, I’ll hush now.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 17 February 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5167
Joined  2006-08-27
Rareth - 17 February 2013 10:41 AM
evilproducer - 17 February 2013 10:15 AM
Harry Dresden - 17 February 2013 09:55 AM

I meant my challenge to carfor but agreed. Lol. We’ll go with the fruit if everyone is happy with that. Downloading as we speak.

Go ahead with the fruit if you wish. I’m not using a still life to show off what Carrara’s renderer can do versus another. I think if you want to show off your render engine of choice, you should find some gee-whiz feature that the other renderer either can’t do, or can do, but with more difficulty. Otherwise this challenge is akin to seeing which car handles better in a school zone: The Prius or the Volt.

oh, well I thought the object was to show off the rendering aspecting of things, my bad.

It is to show off the rendering abilities of your renderer of choice. If you think you can show that off to the best effect using the fruit bowl scene, then that’s great.

My two main points are that your renderer should be flexible, and the only way to get the most out of it, is to have some grasp on what you’re doing. Personally, I think the fruit bowl scene is good example of one way to light and texture a scene. It’s a fine foundation, but does it show off everything the renderer can do?

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 17 February 2013 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1308
Joined  2006-08-19
evilproducer - 17 February 2013 10:51 AM

I meant my challenge to carfor but agreed. Lol. We’ll go with the fruit if everyone is happy with that. Downloading as we speak.

Go ahead with the fruit if you wish. I’m not using a still life to show off what Carrara’s renderer can do versus another. I think if you want to show off your render engine of choice, you should find some gee-whiz feature that the other renderer either can’t do, or can do, but with more difficulty. Otherwise this challenge is akin to seeing which car handles better in a school zone: The Prius or the Volt.

oh, well I thought the object was to show off the rendering aspecting of things, my bad.

It is to show off the rendering abilities of your renderer of choice. If you think you can show that off to the best effect using the fruit bowl scene, then that’s great.

My two main points are that your renderer should be flexible, and the only way to get the most out of it, is to have some grasp on what you’re doing. Personally, I think the fruit bowl scene is good example of one way to light and texture a scene. It’s a fine foundation, but does it show off everything the renderer can do?

well depends on what you put into it I guess,  I’ve done the fruitbowl scene in Carrara and Bryce,  (both awhile ago)  and while I think I did a fairly decent job in both,  I think I got more out of the Bryce render than I did from the Carrara render (as in I learned more).

Signature 

http://rarethdigitalmusings.blogspot.com/

http://rareth1966.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 17 February 2013 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  220
Joined  0
evilproducer - 17 February 2013 09:27 AM

Did this one awhile ago. Pretty simple scene. I wanted to test how minimal I could go.

Carrara 7.2 Pro render.

One light and a white background color. Partial GI- Meaning I only had the Skylight option enabled and not full Indirect lighting. Skylight allows for the white Background color (or anything in the scenes’s Background actually) to act like an IBL. I simulated SSS by using the skin’s color image map in the glow channel.

unbeatable hair EP, well done, I’d like to see some other shots that makes hair so real
this is my SSS test made in Carrara 8

Image Attachments
pp.jpg

Posted: 17 February 2013 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

After using Carrara for 15 years I don’t think it’s possible for ME to be un-biased. LOL. My eye has been trained to like Carrara. I’m interested when people say they like the look of one renderer over another, but it’s still subjective. Photoreal is in the eye of the beholder, there is no neutral test to say which is “better”.

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 17 February 2013 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
magaremoto - 17 February 2013 11:04 AM
evilproducer - 17 February 2013 09:27 AM

Did this one awhile ago. Pretty simple scene. I wanted to test how minimal I could go.

Carrara 7.2 Pro render.

One light and a white background color. Partial GI- Meaning I only had the Skylight option enabled and not full Indirect lighting. Skylight allows for the white Background color (or anything in the scenes’s Background actually) to act like an IBL. I simulated SSS by using the skin’s color image map in the glow channel.

unbeatable hair EP, well done, I’d like to see some other shots that makes hair so real
this is my SSS test made in Carrara 8

The hair is Kozoboro’s (sp?) short bob!

Nice SSS by the way! Looks good!

Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
Rareth - 17 February 2013 10:56 AM
evilproducer - 17 February 2013 10:51 AM

well depends on what you put into it I guess,  I’ve done the fruitbowl scene in Carrara and Bryce,  (both awhile ago)  and while I think I did a fairly decent job in both,  I think I got more out of the Bryce render than I did from the Carrara render (as in I learned more).

I guess I should have added a third point as well, or maybe emphasized the second point better: If you don’t have a good grasp of shading and lighting, no renderer is going to be shown to it’s best advantage. That’s why I personally think that flexilbility is important. Lighting, shading and optimizing a scene is great, but you also need to be able to do that for a whole range of scenes. I’ve done some nice portraits, but they’re not all I want to do.

Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

Here’s a couple more non-postworked images:

The Bikini Car Wash picture uses the Skylight in Carrara. No Indirect light. I simulated that by adding a couple spot lights where the shadows were too deep.

The second uses no GI whatsoever and is an interior scene, which required a different take on lighting and texturing. I used volumetric clouds.

Image Attachments
Bikini-Car-wash-GI.jpgThe-Orc-Pit-copy.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  345
Joined  2009-03-17

Great skin there magaremoto! Love your second pic evil.

We need some Reality fans in here to set some benchmarks. LOL

Signature 

My life is a symphony nearing a crescendo. There have been too many segues in this piece and I long for a caesura.

Posted: 17 February 2013 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
Harry Dresden - 17 February 2013 11:48 AM

They are still rendering… LOL

Here is another Carrara render from one of the scenes that triggered this thread… I was told this is not realistic at all… I humbly beg to disagree but whatever. It’s not like I win a cookie or someone is buying me a beer. Photorealism is boring (to me) because it’s like that game in the children’s magazine Highlights - spot the inconsistency.

I’d rather keep going in the direction I’m going in, not that re-re-re-render for an entire weekend the same scene…. I’m not trying to impress anyone. If the figure is more “character” than “mannequin” then you are doing what you need to do.

Image Attachments
Doc3.png
 Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  855
Joined  2005-11-06

As one I thought about posting here, but with comments like Hollys below taking a jab at rendering times and this one

Harry Dresden - 17 February 2013 09:25 AM

The original challenge over at Carrara was on the subject of humans and skin but we can change that. Lol. LOL

But seeing as I waited 1.5 hours for this render to finish I’m posting it! Grrr… LOL

DAZ Studio 4.5 - Eat your hearty out Reality. cheese

this thread seems to be biased already, no pun intended.

I do agree the realism is subjective. I happen to love carrara but just knowing that the lighting is biased keeps be away from it now. I want to know that what i am seeing is actual light and how actual light reacts on a surface and not my interpretation of what it might look like.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 17 February 2013 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
FSMCDesigns - 17 February 2013 12:20 PM

As one I thought about posting here, but with comments like Hollys below taking a jab at rendering times and this one

Aww. Yes of course we are all biased. That is no reason not to post… Did you see the glowing bananas? tongue laugh

I do agree the realism is subjective. I happen to love carrara but just knowing that the lighting is biased keeps be away from it now. I want to know that what i am seeing is actual light and how actual light reacts on a surface and not my interpretation of what it might look like.

Hmmm. I don’t understand your bias against biased…. It really isn’t “actual” light, it’s still someone else’s settings on your scenes…. But then again, “photorealism” is completely derivative, LOL.

I use my “eye”, but I also did a lot of reading, like the Jeremy Birn lighting books.

Here’s another pic with a fishyer-eyed camera… I just can’t go in and add a bunch of tiny wrinkle maps. For me it is “real enough” and still renders fast enough to be used in animations (Although I would probably tone down the details for animation anyway to get better encoding results)...

Image Attachments
Doc4.png
 Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-17

Harry Dresden - 17 February 2013 09:25 AM

The original challenge over at Carrara was on the subject of humans and skin but we can change that. Lol. LOL

But seeing as I waited 1.5 hours for this render to finish I’m posting it! Grrr… LOL

DAZ Studio 4.5 - Eat your hearty out Reality. cheese

Noooo. It’s really not biased (there’s just no escaping that pun is there?). The problem is that so far the entries are a bit one sided. And yes, people are poking fun but its all in good spirit (I hope).

Here’s the thing - I truly believe that Poser, Carrara, Bryce and Studio are all capable of rendering stunningly realistic images. The problem is nobody believes it (notibly Reality users, lol). So I’m trying to appeal to the experts in both camps to have some fun and show off. Reality is great at what it does and so is Octane. I know coz I have both. But how close can we get to those renderers if we don’t have them? That is the question.

Signature 

My life is a symphony nearing a crescendo. There have been too many segues in this piece and I long for a caesura.

Posted: 17 February 2013 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-17

One of the things I like about biased renderers is volumetric lighting. I’m not sure if and how volumetrics works in unbiased renderers so if you guys know something I don’t please share the know-how. Here’s a simple scene I just rendered. I cheated a little and used UberSurface 2 to add some cuts to the body and blood spatter to the table. Not perfect but with no postwork it will do.

Image Attachments
morgue.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  220
Joined  0
holly wetcircuit - 17 February 2013 12:31 PM

Aww. Yes of course we are all biased. That is no reason not to post… Did you see the glowing bananas? tongue laugh

Hmmm. I don’t understand your bias against biased…. It really isn’t “actual” light, it’s still someone else’s settings on your scenes…. But then again, “photorealism” is completely derivative, LOL.

I use my “eye”, but I also did a lot of reading, like the Jeremy Birn lighting books.

Here’s another pic with a fishyer-eyed camera… I just can’t go in and add a bunch of tiny wrinkle maps. For me it is “real enough” and still renders fast enough to be used in animations (Although I would probably tone down the details for animation anyway to get better encoding results)...

Wendy you open your challenge with one of the most difficult topics - make a realistic brown skin - however you are very close to the target, some improvements on nose and ears, the rest is very convincing imo. maybe if the model were not so fat he could be much more realistic

3 of 20