Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Letters to Santa Daz - Carrara developmental requests
Posted: 17 February 2013 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6094
Joined  2007-12-04

There seems to be a lot of requests for future development of Carrara. This thread is in no way an official request by Daz3d. But if they do ask, it would be nice to already have some thoughts on the matter.
Holly, if you remember what you said in the last thread like this in the old forums… let rip please? Those were perfect - and even realistic!
When great ideas come up in here, I’ll edit them into the saved thread in the Carrara Information Guide thread. So feel free to fill this with all sorts of discussion on the matter - this is important stuff.

I thought this one was great:
Carrara for CAD work
John really enjoys using Carrara for CAD work. He also uses it with a 3d printer. He wishes for just a few things to make his experience better.

Yeah, if you see a good post that you think even might be a good suggestion, paste a link in here somewhere.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 17 February 2013 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

Uuuum…. zipper I’m not going to be the one to tell you. Santa. OK. Sure.

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 17 February 2013 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1386
Joined  2011-01-03
holly wetcircuit - 17 February 2013 08:40 AM

Holly, be careful! If his world-view is shattered there is no telling what might happen! wink

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 17 February 2013 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
Garstor - 17 February 2013 08:56 AM

Holly, be careful! If his world-view is shattered there is no telling what might happen! wink

I will not be responsible. Say nothing….

Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

Ok, here’s one for SANTA!

Why are the SHININESS and HIGHLIGHT channels reversed in the Hair Shader? Please fix that and in the future do not scramble the shader channel order that we have been using for 20years.

Image Attachments
Screen_Shot_2013-02-17_at_10.17_.16_AM_.pngScreen_Shot_2013-02-17_at_10.16_.58_AM_.png
 Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5186
Joined  2006-08-27
holly wetcircuit - 17 February 2013 09:10 AM

Why are the SHININESS and HIGHLIGHT channels reversed in the Hair Shader? Please fix that and in the future do not scramble the shader channel order that we have been using for 20years.

Holy crap! I never noticed that before! Now I know what I was screwing up! I was just going in auto mode. Thanks for that Holly!

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 17 February 2013 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
evilproducer - 17 February 2013 09:53 AM
holly wetcircuit - 17 February 2013 09:10 AM

Holy crap! I never noticed that before! Now I know what I was screwing up! I was just going in auto mode. Thanks for that Holly!

Me TOO! Ugh!!! Was it ALWAYS this way, because I was doing it backwards the whole time….

Bug report: https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=49475

Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5186
Joined  2006-08-27
holly wetcircuit - 17 February 2013 10:00 AM

Me TOO! Ugh!!! Was it ALWAYS this way, because I was doing it backwards the whole time….

I don’t know. I’ll check my version when my render is complete. I’m in C7 Pro. If it’s not reversed in C7, then it’s a C8 or C8.5 Beta introduced bug.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 17 February 2013 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
holly wetcircuit - 17 February 2013 08:57 AM
Garstor - 17 February 2013 08:56 AM

I will not be responsible. Say nothing….

LMFAOROFFFLAFFFAO

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 17 February 2013 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
evilproducer - 17 February 2013 10:24 AM
holly wetcircuit - 17 February 2013 10:00 AM

I don’t know. I’ll check my version when my render is complete. I’m in C7 Pro. If it’s not reversed in C7, then it’s a C8 or C8.5 Beta introduced bug.

I just checked my Kitty fur tutorial that was made in C6…. The channels are in the wrong order there too. I have been turning all highlights to zero because I thought it was all crazy…. Now I realize I never saw DAZ had flipped the channels and I just did the settings automatically too.!

snake

Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  959
Joined  2006-06-12

Santa Daz

In the render room, could you create a setting that we could start the render at the BOTTOM of an image?
Sometimes I have had images stop part the way through and had to start from the beginning.
Being able to start the render at the bottom would be helpful.

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 17 February 2013 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  484
Joined  2003-10-09

This has been mentioned before, but please multi-thread all current single-thread functions. Thank you! smile

Posted: 19 February 2013 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  193
Joined  2005-10-18

Intelligent Mutli-threaded rendering please, where finished threads / buckets will then assist with other threads that are still rendering, otherwise its not TRUELY mutli threaded and to have it work on Network rendering as well.

There’s nothing worse than having 24 threads available and having a couple of them stuck on a particular, often small segment of a render.

Cheers,

S.K.

Posted: 12 March 2013 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

I can’t believe that there are so many requests and feature wishes that nobody wants to participate in this thread. I’m only trying to help the community get what they want. I doubt, highly, that the Dev team has enough time to scour each and every post in this lengthy forum. If they miss yours, and they never hear your request, I don’t pity you in the slightest if your wants are never answered. 
When it comes time for Carrara 9 development, I’ll be compiling a list for DazSpooky - in an easy to follow list. This thread is all about that - I could just give him a link to this thread - “here ya go, Spook!”. I don’t think the devs use Carrara much at all. But they know how it works from the inside out. They need to know what you want - or they’ll just put in what Daz tells them to. I think that Daz wants to know what you want. Help me tell them!
As you’re all aware, I’m very happy with Carrara already. But if I could input some wishes of my own,
Here’s some of what I want:

a) Hair shaders - Kink, Wave and Frizz - these shaders currently animate drastically from one frame to the next - before applying any simulation to the hair itself. Remove these aspects in the shader, and the fluttering animation goes away. If there is any way to remove that flutter from the above mentioned shaders, I’d be tickled pink. Note that I included wave, but haven’t tested that one. Both Friz and Kink have this behavior. To test this, simply load in any hair and don’t simulate it. Now apply a kink or friz to the shader and render a one or more second test render. You’ll see that, although the dynamic hair is not yet set to motion, the hair moves unbelievably fast in many directions. This is currently unacceptable for use in my animations - otherwise it would be the hair of my choice - as it’s the best looking hair I’ve ever seen on my Rosie character.

b) GPU Assisted rendering? - I know that there’s a calling for this. My meager graphics card has 48 CUDA cores. If those could assist in renders, that would be cool. I’m not sure if what I just said is how it works. But I do know that many people in this field are extremely interested in seeing GPU Assistance in their render engines.

c) Walk Cycle Generator -A while back, a fellow community member was close to releasing a beta version of a Walk Cycle engine for Carrara before something in Real Life situations dragged him away. For examples of what I’m talking about, go into the “Walk Cycle” window of Poser and check out ho w it works. I believe that, like Nerd3d, users should be able to add custom walk cycle data. But it should come with a good selection of walks that work for Gen 4 and Genesis at the very least. Even a simple basic selection to start with would be great, but just having such a tool within Carrara would be a big help in animation creation.

d) Genesis Clothing Morph Assistance - If it is possible,  it would be of great help if the Auto Fit clothing on genesis could have the ability to retain it’s current shape when jumping into the model room for tweaks. My example being that if I apply clothing to the Basic female preset of Genesis - and then double-click the clothing to go into the model room, the clothing shows up as if it was fit to the base Genesis figure - making it more difficult to work with for minor tweaks here and there. Or major tweaks for that matter.

e) Updated Browser Presets - If there are still browser presets that don’t work, or won’t open (like Smoke Particles) I would like to offer my assistance in getting these fixed. I am also willing to help provide some fresh new presets to the Native Content collection that comes with Carrara 9 as well. Spooky and/or Devs, Please Contact me via PM for details.

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2013 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
Dartanbeck - 12 March 2013 08:37 AM

I can’t believe that there are so many requests and feature wishes that nobody wants to participate in this thread. I’m only trying to help the community get what they want. I doubt, highly, that the Dev team has enough time to scour each and every post in this lengthy forum. If they miss yours, and they never hear your request, I don’t pity you in the slightest if your wants are never answered.

So you are guaranteeing that participation in this thread will get our feature requests into Carrara9?

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2013 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
holly wetcircuit - 12 March 2013 08:47 AM

So you are guaranteeing that participation in this thread will get our feature requests into Carrara9?

Now that’s just being cynical. I love it!
No. But I will guarantee that legitimate requests in here will be sent to be seen by the correct set of eyes.

Signature 

1 of 3