Digital Art Zone

Win7 64 / Bryce 7: Export to DAE or FBX does not work
Posted: 16 February 2013 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-01-29

Hi there

I have just installed Bryce 7 on a Win7 64 box and loaded the Warraok. The object loads and renders nicely in Bryce. However, I can’t manage to export the object. Here’s what I tried:

1) Export to DAE
- Start Bryce 7
- Load the Warraok into the scene
- Select the Warraok
- Choose “Export Object”—> COLLADA export(*.dae)

Result: After the export was finished, I found heaps of BMP files in the chosen folder, but no .dae file anywhere.

2) Export to FBX
- Start Bryce 7
- Load the Warraok into the scene
- Select the Warraok
- Choose “Export Object”—> FBX export (*.fbx)

Result: After the export was finished, I couldn’t find any .fbx file

I have even tried to start Bryce 7 in various compatibility modes (Win7, XP SP2, XP SP3 etc.). Nothing helped to solve the issue.

The last thing I tried was the bridge from Bryce 7 to DAZ 4.5 Pro. But the transfer either stops half way through, or misses parts of the object. Sometimes Bryce ended up looping in the “Sending ...” status.

And occasionally Bryce 7 just crashes.

Overall, it doesn’t look very promising. Do you have any hints or recommendations?

Posted: 17 February 2013 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3550
Joined  2004-10-01

I haven’t exported DAE or FBX from Bryce - I rather import such. Bryce normally uses procedural materials and if you export an objects, these procedural are converted to flat pictures - hence you get a lot of BMPs. Try exporting as Wavefront *.obj and see if you have more success. I’m using either obj or 3ds and have no issues.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 17 February 2013 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1618
Joined  2007-12-10

I too have found over the years that all the export options are a bit iffy, with the exception of .obj (and sometimes 3DS but .obj is usually the easiest and most compatible with other stuff I use).

That’s quite a nice looking ship too… by coincidence I’m just doing another ship render myself.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 17 February 2013 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-01-29

Thanks a lot to both of you. I have tried both .OBJ and .3DS:

.OBJ
It did export the mesh very nicely, but when imported into Maya, no textures were found/attached. There’s just the pure (gray) mesh.

.3DS
This one did the job: When imported into Maya, it had all meshes, materials, textures, etc. So .3DS it shall be (-:

Again, thanks a lot for your help! (-:

However, it did surprise me that even the bridge from Bryce 7 to DAZ Studio 4.5 is glitchy.

Posted: 17 February 2013 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1618
Joined  2007-12-10

That’s odd about the .obj not sending the materials.

Didn’t it save a .mtl file?

Here is an .obj file and all the stuff Bryce created to go with it that I exported the other day while testing a model I’m building at the moment.

Image Attachments
Picture-10.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.