3 of 7
To all Poser users
Posted: 09 June 2012 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  149
Joined  2004-07-01
scorpio64dragon - 09 June 2012 08:42 AM
Zev0 - 09 June 2012 07:01 AM

I think Daz has ben more than reasonable with their gen4 support. Hell, most come from vendors anyway. Remember some companies do a full “we do not support previous versions”. EG microsoft who stopped Win XP support and forced win7 on us. Now we all love win7 and dont wanna move to win8 lol

And - go to Rendo and look at how many products arn’t even tested in DS let alone supported.

I can’t run get Poser 9 to install on my computer and when I tried Poser 8 I was amazed at how much stuff I couldn’t do that I could in DS, and if I did want to do it I had to buy a plug in, (which I would have to buy again for Poser9).

I understand the OP’s frustration but I’m tired of seeing threads damming Daz for supporting their products as if this is some sort of unforgivable sin.

I use Poser and without buying all kinds of plugins I get my images done, don’t know what kind of things Studio can do that Poser can’t so I won’t comment on that.
Rendo always was a store for Poser stuff like Daz was when they began. The difference between those stores is that at Daz we pay for a membership and that should benefit both Poser and Daz studio users equally.
And as for the threads, I think that in a community it is everyones right to ventilate their frustrations when they think they are pushed aside.

Posted: 09 June 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  220
Joined  2004-09-27

The difference is Daz has always made Poser content and started out doing that. If Daz had never been a huge source for Poser content Genesis would not be an issue.

Posted: 09 June 2012 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  959
Joined  2006-06-12

I’m not a Poser user, but I use Carrara. Daz is trying to get Genesis into Carrara, but it’s in beta. It may take awhile and some of us may not make the jump, so I understand where a lot of you are coming from.

It is funny to me that when people lament the lack of new items in Poser from Daz, someone always runs in and talks about 1 or 2 items that were released a month ago or some such thing.

There is an obvious move away from Gen4. I place no particular value judgement on it. It just is.

I do wish Daz hadn’t made Genesis such a radical departure from Gen4 products.

Oh well, spilled milk.

I can buy the items from Daz I don’t have and also shop at Rendo and other shops.
Best of Luck!

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 09 June 2012 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2003-10-09

Genesis is not the issue, it is a response to many many user requests for a better and more flexible figure. Those requests were on this forum and many others including Rendo and RDNA.

If Poser supported Genesis then the Genesis items here would be as useful to poser users as they are to DAZ4 users.

The owners of Poser chose not to include support for the Genesis figure, a decision which affected all Poser users. That is where your issue lies. If you want to complain to a store that your interests as a customer are not being served, then my best advice would be to head over to the Poser forum at RDNA, and petition Smith Micro to add Genesis support into Poser.

Posted: 09 June 2012 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  225
Joined  2009-01-12
background - 09 June 2012 12:45 PM

Genesis is not the issue, it is a response to many many user requests for a better and more flexible figure. Those requests were on this forum and many others including Rendo and RDNA.

If Poser supported Genesis then the Genesis items here would be as useful to poser users as they are to DAZ4 users.

The owners of Poser chose not to include support for the Genesis figure, a decision which affected all Poser users. That is where your issue lies. If you want to complain to a store that your interests as a customer are not being served, then my best advice would be to head over to the Poser forum at RDNA, and petition Smith Micro to add Genesis support into Poser.

That’s a very valid observation.

Posted: 09 June 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2011-11-06

To start with, I am using OSX 10.7 and have had good results with DS4. Not everything works but the same goes with my Poser program. But at least I’ll have access to those items when Apple and DAZ finally get everything to work with the UNIX root system.
Secondly, a store (and DAZ is a store first and foremost) can’t carry everything. If they try, they become nothing more than a clone of WALMART.
Finally, customers are important unless they’re walking into Jack-in-the-Box and trying to get everything scattered, smothered, covered and diced. Or going into the Wafflehouse and trying to order a jumbo Jack and curly fries.

Maybe instead of tearing down a company that is doing the best they can, you should go to the right venues for the products you want. In fact, after I check a couple more threads, I’ll be off to SM to spend some money before checking in at Cheetah and Autodesk.

HAPPY RENDERING!!!

Posted: 09 June 2012 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-06-12
background - 09 June 2012 12:45 PM

I disagree. Genesis is very much the issue. Daz should not have created a figure that was so far removed from all the current technology. It has been proven that a better more flexible figure can be created without radical departures (see the many new items available at Renderosity for V4).

Anyway, spilled milk.

Signature 

Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 09 June 2012 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2005-10-16
Bernard Adams - 09 June 2012 01:46 PM

Secondly, a store (and DAZ is a store first and foremost) can’t carry everything. If they try, they become nothing more than a clone of WALMART.
Finally, customers are important unless they’re walking into Jack-in-the-Box and trying to get everything scattered, smothered, covered and diced. Or going into the Wafflehouse and trying to order a jumbo Jack and curly fries.

Actually, a more correct analogy would be going to your favorite store and being told they don’t serve what you want anymore.
Daz has always been stringent on quality and did not accept bulk crap like some other stores thus they have never been close to becoming a Walmart.

Poser products was first and foremost for many years prior to the changeover.

Customers apparently are not all that important since I don’t really spend any money here anymore.

Signature 

Gone.

Posted: 09 June 2012 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  395
Joined  2005-08-23
nightwolf1982 - 09 June 2012 02:13 AM

Two things people tend to forget, I think;

One, DAZ has tried working with Smith Micro (the current developers of Poser) to get Genesis working in Poser.  SM chose not to continue with that effort, however.

<snip>

At least that’s the way DAZ tells it. I get the impression it was more along the lines of DAZ saying to SM, “Here’s our shiny new toy! Redesign your program to work with it!”

As to vendor support, I get the impression DAZ is being a bit discriminatory to Poser products, though. For example, (please note that this is only my observation and opinion and is not based on any insider information), one of my favorite vendors, Surreality, is well-known to be a primarily Poser-using and -supporting vendor. Traditionally, she sold most of her characters here at DAZ and most of her hair textures at Rendo. However, her past four (five?) characters have all been released at Rendo. It may very well be that this is her own choice or preference, or it may have nothing to do with Genesis vs Poser (I know that DAZ was giving her a hard time before because her characters were too unique). Still, it is interesting to note that her last released character here was for both Genesis and V4, and since then all her V4 characters have been released at Rendo. Once again, I want to emphasize that I have heard nothing from Surreality on this point; this is merely my own speculation.

Signature 

My RuntimeDNA Store
My Renderosity Gallery
My deviantArt Gallery

Posted: 09 June 2012 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1307
Joined  2004-02-13
Zaarin - 09 June 2012 02:12 PM

One, DAZ has tried working with Smith Micro (the current developers of Poser) to get Genesis working in Poser.  SM chose not to continue with that effort, however.

<snip>

At least that’s the way DAZ tells it. I get the impression it was more along the lines of DAZ saying to SM, “Here’s our shiny new toy! Redesign your program to work with it!”

As to vendor support, I get the impression DAZ is being a bit discriminatory to Poser products, though. For example, (please note that this is only my observation and opinion and is not based on any insider information), one of my favorite vendors, Surreality, is well-known to be a primarily Poser-using and -supporting vendor. Traditionally, she sold most of her characters here at DAZ and most of her hair textures at Rendo. However, her past four (five?) characters have all been released at Rendo. It may very well be that this is her own choice or preference, or it may have nothing to do with Genesis vs Poser (I know that DAZ was giving her a hard time before because her characters were too unique). Still, it is interesting to note that her last released character here was for both Genesis and V4, and since then all her V4 characters have been released at Rendo. Once again, I want to emphasize that I have heard nothing from Surreality on this point; this is merely my own speculation.

If DAZ wasn’t accepting Gen 4 products then neither myself nor IgnisSerpentus would be able to sell here and would both be on Rendo or RDNA as well. As for Sur’s choices on why etc, that would be for to Sur to answer as to her reasons.

Speaking for myself, as someone who tries to support both I am finding myself frustrated. And this may be the first official harsh thing I’ve ever posted here in the forums so hopefully you all take it as me just speaking for myself as a PA and also will forgive me this one possibly short remark…

Do you know how frustrating it is right now to try to support this or that just to have customers on both sides complain how there is nothing for them? Do something supporting Poser, then read 500 threads how no one is bothering to support Poser. Then make a pack that can be used in both but that is not “optimized” to be used as best it could with Genesis because you want the DS and Poser versions to be the same or close and have Genesis people complain it is not done as properly as it should be. At this point, as a PA doing any product, it’s like no matter what you do your wrong. If trying to keep everyone happy leads to no one happy then there isn’t much choice then to “choose a side”. At least then 1/2 of your customers might be happy :(

People are mad at DAZ3D for this or Smith Micro for that, but honestly the only people feeling the blunt of this tug of war are the PA’s who are caught in the middle of choices they had nothing to do with on either side. That’s all I’m gonna say :(

Signature 

Aundrea M Anderson (ann0314) (ARTCollaborations) (ARTCollab)
DAZ3D Community Volunteer Program Manager
DAZ3D PA/Customer Relations Liaison
Co-Owner of ARTCollaborations

Posted: 09 June 2012 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  622
Joined  2004-12-14
DAZ_ann0314 - 09 June 2012 02:35 PM
Zaarin - 09 June 2012 02:12 PM

<snip>

If DAZ wasn’t accepting Gen 4 products then neither myself nor IgnisSerpentus would be able to sell here and would both be on Rendo or RDNA as well. As for Sur’s choices on why etc, that would be for to Sur to answer as to her reasons.

Speaking for myself, as someone who tries to support both I am finding myself frustrated. And this may be the first official harsh thing I’ve ever posted here in the forums so hopefully you all take it as me just speaking for myself as a PA and also will forgive me this one possibly short remark…

Do you know how frustrating it is right now to try to support this or that just to have customers on both sides complain how there is nothing for them? Do something supporting Poser, then read 500 threads how no one is bothering to support Poser. Then make a pack that can be used in both but that is not “optimized” to be used as best it could with Genesis because you want the DS and Poser versions to be the same or close and have Genesis people complain it is not done as properly as it should be. At this point, as a PA doing any product, it’s like no matter what you do your wrong. If trying to keep everyone happy leads to no one happy then there isn’t much choice then to “choose a side”. At least then 1/2 of your customers might be happy :(

People are mad at DAZ3D for this or Smith Micro for that, but honestly the only people feeling the blunt of this tug of war are the PA’s who are caught in the middle of choices they had nothing to do with on either side. That’s all I’m gonna say :(

Sell the Genesis version here and the V4 version elseswhere, along with a GNDA2 version.  Cover all markets.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 09 June 2012 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  220
Joined  2004-09-27

Daz’s fault or SM’s fault I do not care. Everyone has an opinion on who is to blame, but that is beside the point now. Doing something that alienates at least half of your paying customers is the point. I really don’t understand why DS users find all of this so hard to understand. If Genesis or V5/M5 would not have worked with DS you would have just as much of a problem with it as we are now. Or maybe if Daz decided to stop updating DS, and only made Poser content from now on?

ETA: This was not aimed at you Ann, but to previous posts.

Posted: 09 June 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14209
Joined  2003-10-09

We have had to remove a number of posts from this thread as they went beyond the limits of reasonable debate. We do not wish to stifle all discussion, but if the thread’s tone does not improve markedly it will be locked

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 09 June 2012 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-06-12
DAZ_ann0314 - 09 June 2012 02:35 PM

Daz_ann0314

I guess we don’t say THANK YOU enough to the vendors that still support Gen4. So, I will say it. Thank You.

Your support allows people who use Poser, Carrara, and older versions of Daz, a chance to have great new products. Keep up the good work. You are appreciated, even if you don’t hear it enough.

grin

Signature 

Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 09 June 2012 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1307
Joined  2004-02-13
ssgbryan - 09 June 2012 02:43 PM

Sell the Genesis version here and the V4 version elseswhere, along with a GNDA2 version.  Cover all markets.

Why would I need to do that? I can sell both versions here with no problems on the brokering side of it. Why should I start selling my Poser content elsewhere when DAZ3D has always and are still taking Poser Content from me happily with no problems? It’s like penalizing DAZ3D for something they haven’t done.

They made Genesis sure, but they also made Steph Petite, and V4 etc before that and SM has made Miki etc. Seems to me DAZ3D made a figure as they have always done. Nothing more and nothing less. SM does the same. I am sure their next versions SM releases wont work in DS just like Genesis isn’t working as we would like in Poser. It’s how it goes. Some things I buy only work in one app or another like my Vue content I buy on Cornucopia that I can’t use in Poser or DS. It is the way these things work as companies find and go their own ways. That’s what innovation does…it finds it’s own path. Poser and DS’s paths went the same way for awhile now on BOTH sides they have gone their own way. Why one company or the other is more wrong for choosing their own company’s business path I honestly don’t know. To me it makes no sense. It’s like telling me why can’t I be more like Stonemason. No matter what I can’t be and DAZ can’t be Smith Micro or visa versa either.

Signature 

Aundrea M Anderson (ann0314) (ARTCollaborations) (ARTCollab)
DAZ3D Community Volunteer Program Manager
DAZ3D PA/Customer Relations Liaison
Co-Owner of ARTCollaborations

3 of 7