Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Populate trees using image mask
Posted: 15 February 2013 02:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2012-11-05

Hi,
I have an image that shows the distribution of the forest (derived from land cover data). Can I use it in Bryce to populate it with trees?
Thanks.

Posted: 15 February 2013 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  310
Joined  2005-09-28

I will allow it, yes.

Signature 

Oroboros Presents… KEY-FLAME: Bryce Animation Tutorials

Posted: 15 February 2013 03:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2012-11-05

How can it be done?
Thanks.

Posted: 15 February 2013 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1774
Joined  2007-12-10

It’d be quite complex, but it’d be done by importing your image as a mask into the terrain editor, then using the red and yellow clipping filters to create a terrain that matched the areas where you want trees.
Then you populate it with trees using the Instancing lab.

The advantage of creating a terrain using the clipping filters is that you then create a terrain that only shows to areas you want trees once you’re in the instancing lab and you can only see a wireframe where you brush the trees on.

How much you already know about Bryce will depend on how much you understand these instructions.
If this doesn’t make sense, let me know and I’ll fill in some details with screen grabs to illustrate.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 15 February 2013 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2012-11-05

Thanks TheSavage64,

Some more help will be much appreciated. I’m just a newbie in Bryce.
Thanks.

Posted: 15 February 2013 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  310
Joined  2005-09-28

We’ll need to see the picture.

We have no idea what you’re working with. It could be a contour map, a DEM, or simply a satellite pic of some trees.

Signature 

Oroboros Presents… KEY-FLAME: Bryce Animation Tutorials

Posted: 15 February 2013 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2012-11-05

The landcover data are ESRI shapefiles (vectors).
What I want to do is to color the forest with some color save it as raster format (psd, tiff, bmp, ......) and use that as a mask.

Posted: 15 February 2013 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2012-11-05

And here is the picture.
Thanks

Image Attachments
Forests.jpg

Posted: 15 February 2013 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

What sort of scale/area is that pic covering?

You’d be creating a real monster scene if you had to populate it with thousands of trees.
The instancing lab in Bryce is temperamental at the best of times and as Bryce is only 32 bit, it doesn’t take much nowadays to get ‘out of memory’ errors and crashes.

Also, is your terrain flat or mountainous?

I’m just rendering something at the moment but I’ll have a look at what I can put together for you this afternoon.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 15 February 2013 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

Guessing that the forest area pic you supplied covers miles, I’ve done this quickly.
If this would do for your requirements, let me know and I’ll write up how to do it.

Because it only uses the terrain editor it’s much less complicated than having to populate the whole scene with trees which are very memory intensive and will slow down the scene to the point where it’s unusable or even crash Bryce.

Image Attachments
ForestLandscape.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2013 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2008-11-17

You might be able to achieve quicker and simplier required result using method similar to one from this tutorial:
www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/8441/

Posted: 15 February 2013 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

That’s kind of the method I used, only at distance, it’s not necessary to use a volumetric foliage material and there are some extra steps because the trees have to follow a set area plus there may be height map to take into account too.

But really my method only took 5 minutes and is quite simple. smile

But the OP may still come back and say he needs real trees. big surprise In which case we’ll have to hope Rashad comes along and explains the process he goes through to create his mega populated scenes.

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2013 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2012-11-05

Thanks TheSavage64,
That’s exactly what I want to do.
And yes it is a mountainous area. I would give you the heightfield I use but it’s a PGM 90 mb.
I really appreciate your willing to help.
I also tried to find a way to import DEMs directly but it seems Bryce doesn’t import a classic USGS DEM file. Maybe in future versions.

Posted: 15 February 2013 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2012-11-05

This is what I did so far but using bump mapping for forests

Posted: 15 February 2013 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2012-11-05

This one, sorry.

Image Attachments
Hateg_Render5.jpg

Posted: 15 February 2013 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
claudiu.onea - 15 February 2013 09:15 AM

Thanks TheSavage64,
That’s exactly what I want to do.
And yes it is a mountainous area. I would give you the heightfield I use but it’s a PGM 90 mb.
I really appreciate your willing to help.
I also tried to find a way to import DEMs directly but it seems Bryce doesn’t import a classic USGS DEM file. Maybe in future versions.

If you could save the height map as a greyscale .jpg and post it I’ll knock up the example using it instead of just a random one.
It’s not ideal as height maps should really be 32 bit tiffs to prevent stepping but for the purposes of an example, we can use it.

The same size and a direct overlay as the forest area pic is fine if you can (1500x1500px).

Signature 

1 of 2