Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
HOW to use 3Delight Stand Alone Render Engine (tutorial)
Posted: 14 February 2013 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

This is a windows specific tutorial, it includes DOS commands, so you will need to locate your DOS Prompt in windows.  It will most likely be found in ACCESSORIES

First: Download and install the render engine
http://www.3delight.com/en/index.php?page=3DSP_download

Open a Scene in DAZ Studio

Go to your render settings, ADVANCED OPTIONS

Scroll to the bottom of that tab

Check RENDER TO RIB
Click on the file button and save a file.  Four our purposes we will just call it FILE (FILE.RIB) but you only need to type FILE (it will add the RIB extension)

Check KEEP SHADOWS and COLLECT AND LOCALIZE
(this will write all your renderman shaders to a local file folder.  The file folder will be called file_collected (File (underscore) collected)

hit RENDER A new window will pop up but it will remain black.  A dialog box will also pop up and show progress.  ONce that dialog box dissapears, the RIB file will be ready.

OPEN Your DOS Prompt

You will need go to the folder where your files are located.

I save MY files in My Library\documents\daz 3d\rib\

So, as my dos prompt opens up in My Library, I must type “cd documents\daz 3d\rib\file_collected\

(NOTE: you have actually created TWO rib files, each with the same file name.  Ignore the one that is NOT in file_collected unless you are keeping your DAZ Studio scene open, going to the file_collected folder will allow you to close that scene)

TO RENDER:

type the following command: renderdl -id file.rib

IF you do not wish to watch your render in progress, you can type: renderdl file.rib

BUT adding the “-id” will open the 3Delight i-display which will display your render in progress

when the render is done, save it from i-display to where ever…

You may now delete the file_collected folder and all its content

Your render should be exactly what you would see in the DAZ studio native render engine with the possible exception of the background colour.  That part I have yet to figure out… so if anyone knows how to make that stick… I don’t think I can yet have a background image work either, but I have not tried yet.  I still have to rely on DAZ Studio for that part.

I run a quad core intel i5 and have seen no real difference in render speed even though the 3Delight free stand alone is limited to two cores.  You may, of course, experience different results.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 15 February 2013 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5888
Joined  2006-02-20

Question: do you still have to apply for a new license for the free 3Delight version every 6 months?

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 15 February 2013 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2007-01-08

I think they have done away with that but I’m not sure.

Posted: 15 February 2013 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

I didn’t apply for a liscense at all… just installed it and began using it…

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 15 February 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5888
Joined  2006-02-20

This is beginning to sound interesting!
Thank you!
(Sorry, I forgot to say thank you for the tutorial in the beginning ... *redfaced*)

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 15 February 2013 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

no worries!  I’m just hoping it helps someone who’s lost… I remember how lost I was when I first tried to figure out BMRT

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 15 February 2013 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2003-10-09

Thanks for writing this. 

A question:

Your render should be exactly what you would see in the DAZ studio native render engine with the possible exception of the background colour.  That part I have yet to figure out

If it comes out the same, what’s the advantage of using it?

Signature 

Computer: Apple iMac
3.4 Ghz Intel i7 (Quad Core)
16 GB Ram

Posted: 15 February 2013 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

it frees up DAZ Studio to do other things.  Since it’s restricted to two cores, if you’re like me and have a quad core, it actually leaves half the CPU free so that you can work without having your computer pretty much locked up.  As I said, speed wise, I have not seen any huge difference.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 15 February 2013 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-08-19
wancow - 15 February 2013 11:04 AM

it frees up DAZ Studio to do other things.  Since it’s restricted to two cores, if you’re like me and have a quad core, it actually leaves half the CPU free so that you can work without having your computer pretty much locked up.  As I said, speed wise, I have not seen any huge difference.

the best use of this that I have read is to get the Linux version and convert an older system to linux to run this on, as you can do this all command line in linux without the resource hog of a GUI in the way. from what I have been lead to understand its ALOT faster when used in this manner.

Signature 

http://rarethdigitalmusings.blogspot.com/

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#galleries/76346/

Posted: 15 February 2013 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

I’ve heard the same…. but then, everything runs faster on linux smile

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 17 March 2013 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2009-12-23

question:
as someone kindly mentioned in a thread (about bryce, but gone off-topic) here, where i mentioned my very poor low netbook specs made rendering in good quality impossible (too low memory being the main prob) - i DL the 3delight standalone and tried a file which i had rendered in quality 3 in daz studio, but setting quality to 4 - garanteed to crash in daz studio.

got the RIB file, opened it (without prompt, worked directly.. is it because i use windows 7?) - and after what, not even 10%, it crashed. i retried, ditto.

so, i guess with or without standalone - as long as i’m sitting on this netbook, i can forget any serious work.. confused

Image Attachments
Test_01_portal_scene_1_RIB-CRASH.jpg

Posted: 17 March 2013 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1138
Joined  2003-12-16
portisHeart - 17 March 2013 08:06 AM

question:
as someone kindly mentioned in a thread (about bryce, but gone off-topic) here, where i mentioned my very poor low netbook specs made rendering in good quality impossible (too low memory being the main prob) - i DL the 3delight standalone and tried a file which i had rendered in quality 3 in daz studio, but setting quality to 4 - garanteed to crash in daz studio.

got the RIB file, opened it (without prompt, worked directly.. is it because i use windows 7?) - and after what, not even 10%, it crashed. i retried, ditto.

so, i guess with or without standalone - as long as i’m sitting on this netbook, i can forget any serious work.. confused

Signal 11 error sounds like a bad geometry somewhere in your render. There may be a specific model(s) that are causing the render to crash, sometimes with 3Delight you can pinpoint it by watching where it is and what it was trying to render when it went kaboom. If its the case of the model then the rendering engine is not the blame. Often you can take the offening model and resave iit or export as an OBJ or something else, remove it, re import the model and get through it.

secondly, what are the specs of that computer? OS version (32/64?), RAM and what else is running on it. Make and Model. Often you buy a laptop from a distributor and they suck up a gig or RAM with bells and whistles. Sure lightscribe is fun if you are still burning disks but you don’t need it running all the time using up RAM when your trying to render.

Signature 

Gravy to potatoes, Luke to Darth Vader, I’m a souped up sucker and I’ll see you all later

Posted: 17 March 2013 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-23
StratDragon - 17 March 2013 09:13 AM

Signal 11 error sounds like a bad geometry somewhere in your render. There may be a specific model(s) that are causing the render to crash, sometimes with 3Delight you can pinpoint it by watching where it is and what it was trying to render when it went kaboom. If its the case of the model then the rendering engine is not the blame. Often you can take the offening model and resave iit or export as an OBJ or something else, remove it, re import the model and get through it.

that something in the scene itself might be faulty is a thought that crossed my mind too.. so after i posted this, i searched for a scene i made with 1 genesis, 1 michael 4, 3 planes, 1 camera & 1 light. nothing else - and retried RIB & render - it crashed too…
so unless my genesis default is bugged ~

secondly, what are the specs of that computer? OS version (32/64?), RAM and what else is running on it. Make and Model. Often you buy a laptop from a distributor and they suck up a gig or RAM with bells and whistles. Sure lightscribe is fun if you are still burning disks but you don’t need it running all the time using up RAM when your trying to render.

as i mentioned i think in the other thread maybe, it’s already a miracle daz actually runs on this system. it’s a netbook, not even a laptop.
no real graphic card, only a lame integrated chipset. os win 7 (starter, not even win 7 full..), 32bit.
sure some apps might run in the background, but i even switched off wlan while rendering, no other prog running.
—> ASUS 1001PX //  Intel Atom CPU N450 1.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.7GHz // 1024MB RAM //  Graphics Media Accelerator 3150… <—
this is not a decent pc, i should be ashamed to spam your threads with this sorry excuse for a computer, and probably not bother until i sit on a decent system - which i can’t afford yet ~

Posted: 17 March 2013 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

nm… I have not the first clue what is happening here.  You’re rendering to RIB in the collected folder and all should work…
http://www.3delight.com/en/modules/PunBB/

There is a 3Delight forum… also a wiki… I’ll see what I can find there.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 17 March 2013 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-23
wancow - 17 March 2013 11:52 AM

There is a 3Delight forum… also a wiki… I’ll see what I can find there.

i had a peek in the 3del forum - crashes on much better systems too. but i didn’t find useful specific info about specs or RAM.. and most things i just don’t understand. i’m a beginner and this sounds like chinese to me..

i tried to search/read the 3delight user manual too, but honestly, i don’t get anything at all, it almost gives me seizures..

funny is, i tried rendering another scene. just heavy enough (1 genesis, 3 panels) to challenge daz render, and see if/when it crashes.
- quality 3 went ok in seconds, as predictable

- quality 4, means 3delight in daz, worked too (pic wasn’t so big)
- 3delight standalone crashed with the RIB made from the same file. and i tried about 5x to screencap the error msg in the dos window, too fast :(

finally, i tried rendering the most simple thing: genesis alone (like in startup), nothing else. 3del standalone crashed.

already, understanding daz is challenging, i’m not sure i want to be challenged by another program. 3del standalone just doesn’t work for me, i might leave it at that..

Image Attachments
Test_03_genesis_alone_Q4_in_RIB-CRASH.jpg

Posted: 17 March 2013 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

I’m assuming the same scene does not crash using DS.  I honestly am at a complete loss. If you can get help at the 3Delight forums, I would strongly suggest you do so.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

1 of 3