Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Temple Complex WIP - Creating content questions
Posted: 20 February 2013 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1781
Joined  2007-12-10

Further playing with what I’ve put together so far.
This time just seeing how the different material zone choices plus my proposition to save the model with 6 camera memory dot views and 4 sky memory dots will make the model very versatile and moods can be changed within very little amount of work.

Image Attachments
SkyDay.jpgSkyEve.jpgSkySunSet.jpgSkyNight.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 20 February 2013 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2701
Joined  2004-07-06

Good idea, the different moods work well, for the night scene you might consider doing some up-lighting - like you see on monuments and churches?

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 21 February 2013 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1797
Joined  2011-09-25

Love the different times of day look you’ve created Dave.  I’ve a feeling many others will too.  Sooo, is there a list of whose first in line for downloading?

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 21 February 2013 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  763
Joined  2010-02-18

Super results, Savage...a sign of an artist/modeller in control of his skill. I like the Evening one best, and its roof, too, but, I don’t kinow what it is, the vertically staggered brickwork on the corners is a distraction to my eye as they don’t fit in with the exotic overall feel to the building, which has a wonderful ‘Arabian Nights’ ambience to it. But, that’s just me, and each to his/her own, of course. Now, all we need is a story from Scheherazade to add to your model smile

Jay

Posted: 21 February 2013 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2005-03-10

Just a few modeling tips.
I too prefer Bryce and I love Bryce style modeling.  However even if your model is for us only within Bryce it is well worth the time to model the object in another program.  The reason is memory useage.  A Bryce object is typically 10-1000 times more ploygon + object intensive then a mesh made in another program. 
Converting Byrce objects to meshes is not stable and can lead to some very strange results. 
Amongs these include:
reveresed normals (a polygon only visible from the “wrong” side. 
A fly away point.  Where the location of one of the points will be far away from where it was prior to conversion.
Missing polygons.  Some polygons are just lost in the conversion.  Not a reversed normal, simply not there.
Finally there is the quality of the resulting mesh.  Suffice it to say it is “not good”.  The poly/point count will remain MUCH larger then the same object created using the same techniques in another modeler.
Given that you modeled this in Bryce it might be interesting to know that the modeler which allows the closest to Bryce style modeling is Cinema 4d.  It is the modeler most friendly to the use of boolean style modeling.  You can use the same type of “stretch/compress” techniques too.
The advantages of a cleaner mesh are several.  It is faster and easier for people to work with.  It can still be saved as an OBP.  With good selection of regions and where the individual mesh components are you can still use Bryce procedurals.  Plus it opens up the mesh for advanced texturing mapping / UV Mapping either via the modeling tool or one of the free programs.  And the biggie would be the salability of your creation.  A texture mapped OBJ or 3ds mesh can be used in lots of programs meaning many more potential customers.

Finally for releaseing/shareing, have you considered sharecg.com?
I have shared a few objects on there and can recommend it.  You get rather to see how many click on it, how many download it, etc… You can also post links to your shared object in other locations.  Including renderosity and the freebie forums here.

Posted: 21 February 2013 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  881
Joined  2008-11-26

Wow Dave, love all the different moods. Looking forward to downloading it, if its a freebie. lol

Posted: 13 March 2013 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

Finally got back to doing some more work on this.
Have spent some time today rebuilding the outer wall and corner towers and renaming all the components.

Just a few finishing touches to do then I have to put the whole thing together and double check the material families are all set correctly.

Image Attachments
OuterWallCompleteTest.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 13 March 2013 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1797
Joined  2011-09-25

@Dave:  That base alone looks great.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 15 March 2013 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2772
Joined  2007-05-05

Savage64; They had free sights on yahoo and gmail for a web page, I had one at one time…you might check that out…it was pretty cool they had alot of options for designing the pages….Trish

Signature 

Please remember my comprehension level is not the same as a rocket scientist…
Bryce7Pro-Addict…............Darkside-oholic…......Carrara-wannabee
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/269      http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/28462/

Posted: 17 March 2013 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  931
Joined  2003-10-09

I know you’re doing this in spare time but you are putting a lot of effort into it and it’s looking really good I think I’m going to have to agree with Frank on this and say you should reconsider selling it vs giving it away.

Posted: 18 March 2013 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2673
Joined  2011-12-10

This looks amazing!  Wish you could export it for DS!  Beautiful work!!!

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 18 March 2013 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

@LHD: If I was money minded I’d be working all the time and then I wouldn’t have time to make free stuff. grin

@ Wancow: Thanks. It’ll need testing properly and I don’t use DS or the bridge, but there may well be the option to load it into Bryce then send it to DS over the bridge. Materials will most likely need tweaking afterwards because I’ll be using Bryce procedurals and as far as I know DS doesn’t like those much.

Signature 

Posted: 18 March 2013 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2673
Joined  2011-12-10

Does Bryce have a way to export to OBJ?

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 18 March 2013 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2701
Joined  2004-07-06
wancow - 18 March 2013 06:35 PM

Does Bryce have a way to export to OBJ?

Yes, File > Export Object - if it is a mesh or a terrain.

There are options in the drop down.

Image Attachments
Image2.jpgImage1.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 18 March 2013 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

As David says “yes”.
The problem being that this model is 99.9% Bryce primitives and not mesh objects so it won’t export directly without a fair amount of work to convert all the primitives to meshes.
Having said that, when it’s complete. I’ll be encouraging people to do whatever they want with it as long as they pass the result on free, so if anyone fancies converting it, that’ll be cool.

Signature 

2 of 3