Best way to do a clean install and use Install Mgr?[/size]Anyone with advice on uninstalling and reinstalling Studio 18.104.22.168 then adding Install Manager. What should I install before using Install Manager i.e. Starter Essentials etc?
Here is a hybrid method to re-install your DAZ stuff without break your current working setup. It works best for people who not moved the installed files from they default location and those which have the product’s uninstallers. If you use metadata to organize your stuff, export the User data using the Content Database Maintenance. Make a copy of your metadata folder located at your actual main Runtime:Support to any safe location.
1) Create a new empty content folder at any place where you want.
2) Set up this new folder as an installation directory in DIM.
3) Map the new content folder in DS using the Content Directory Manager and put it at the top of the list.
4) Download the products which you want re-install unchecking the “Install After Download” option in DIM’s Ready to Install panel.
5) Go to Uninstallers folder in your old content directory and uninstall any product which you want re-install using DIM.
6) Re-install the product using DIM.
7) Repeat with every each product which you want re-install
This allows me to continue my work without breaking my current workflow. This process is working very well to me. Maybe it works for you.
- Yep, I definitively would start to uninstall Genesis Essential with the provided uninstaller and reinstall it using DIM.
- You can use your current working directory to re-install your stuff using this method, but as we know, some uninstallers are faulty and did not delete all previously installed files.
- Install a product over a previous installation is not a good idea because you will mess old and new files which sometimes have different names at all. A clean folder assures that you will get the most recent files and they are not messed with residual files. Most recent files are not necessarily better than older… some older metadata files works while some new are faulty. One more reason to make a copy of previous metadata. You can replace a damaged metadata file with one from your backup.
- Some products have a different name when installed by DIM, so some metadata customization can be lost in the process. You will need fix this manually merging the new .dsx file with that one customized in a text editor (you made a backup, remember), or re-customizing it in the Content DB Editor.