5 of 15
Project Dogwaffle Howler
Posted: 11 April 2013 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1927
Joined  2008-01-28

staigerman wrote:

Ooooh I’d looooove to see these terrains and texture maps and stuff you make. PErhaps something we could feature in a DOTM page? (Dogwaffler of the Moment). You can see the “DOTM” link in the top left of our main page at thebest3d.com

We’re always looking for great examples to show and tell, especially when it also speaks to users of Carrara, Poser, DAZstudio, Bryce etc… and can help show them how PD Pro can be used in conjunction with those other great tools.

I did a bunch of 3D terrain animations in Carrara in support of a musician in Honduras who needed some screen activity ahead of his live concerts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCvU_H9vU4I&list=PLBqbdhU5umbdKZYqV7WRDSO3J9zrzjxa9

- the last one had also a bit of PD work in there, showing the transition from a cloud photo near the beginning (after the pond scene) converted to elevation map, and turned 3D in the 3D Designer of PD Howler, the same elevation map later textured and animated in Carrara.

The Language of the Wind - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64cscmB5Vtg&list=PLBqbdhU5umbdKZYqV7WRDSO3J9zrzjxa9

thanks I’ll post something next week if I do something worthwhile sharing wink

I’m finding dogwaffle much better than carrara for terrains as it is much quicker to see what you are working on

I saw those animations when you posted them to the forum.

amazing job you did. I will revisit them later - !

PS nice work Dartanbeck

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 12 April 2013 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5913
Joined  2007-12-04

FYI: I have updated the very first post to turn the thread from a question into a statement. I must say that I am very impressed with this software!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 13 April 2013 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
head wax - 11 April 2013 05:55 PM

thanks I’ll post something next week if I do something worthwhile sharing wink

I’m finding dogwaffle much better than carrara for terrains as it is much quicker to see what you are working on

How cool. I’ve watched Philip and Daniel work on these in their videos. Very cool indeed! But now, with the incredibly awesome alpha selectability in Howler (all dogwaffles, actually), I wonder how cool this would be for drawing distribution maps and such.
I’m definitely going to look into using this to enhance Carrara

I saw those animations when you posted them to the forum.

amazing job you did. I will revisit them later - !

Agreed. I’ve seen them recently… twice!

PS nice work Dartanbeck

Thank you, sir. I appreciate it. Small project for the Skyock’s Egret, (Howler 8.2), but it was all fun!
One thing that I’m not used to yet, is having a tablet. It works beautifully in Dogwaffle. But I’ll lay it on my lap and paint. Then I’ll grab my mouse when I need to do a bunch of menu navigating and such… and then I forget to pick up my stylus again! lol
Time will beat me into shape! wink

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 13 April 2013 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

no trouble, i mainly use a mouse though i have tablet

question re Manual.

I’m fairly keen to download it print it out.

Not sure how to do this?

any clues appreciated!

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2013 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  140
Joined  2004-03-24

You mean the manual for Dogwaffle?

There isn’t really an updated latest version manual. There is one that dates back to v2.1 or so, still has a lot of validity though for basic concepts, even if the interface has evolved, and much was added since.

http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/help/how_to_print.html

Scroll down and you’ll find a link to a PDF version.

and a choice of formats here: (zip, html,...)
http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/help/index.html

Posted: 14 April 2013 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

Thanks staigerman, appreciate the prompt reply.

That’s a very helpful link.!

Sorry I wasn’t more explanatory, my wife was still in bed. She gets annoyed when I get up and get on the PC first thing in the morning - so I was typing “quietly”.

It’s always handy to have a hard copy of the manual wink

Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2013 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
head wax - 14 April 2013 03:28 AM

Thanks staigerman, appreciate the prompt reply.

That’s a very helpful link.!

Sorry I wasn’t more explanatory, my wife was still in bed. She gets annoyed when I get up and get on the PC first thing in the morning - so I was typing “quietly”.

It’s always handy to have a hard copy of the manual wink

Me too… First thing smile

Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2013 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
staigerman - 11 April 2013 08:10 AM

I did a bunch of 3D terrain animations in Carrara in support of a musician in Honduras who needed some screen activity ahead of his live concerts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCvU_H9vU4I&list=PLBqbdhU5umbdKZYqV7WRDSO3J9zrzjxa9

Okay… maybe I didn’t actually have the playlist running the first time. This a really long (and fun!) series. Very nice. That first one I saw before - but it was great to watch it again. I love that music anyways! When the second one started… Bang! Wow! Ooooooh!!! LOL It really is an exciting ride, good thing I wore my seat belt!

staigerman - 11 April 2013 08:10 AM

- the last one had also a bit of PD work in there, showing the transition from a cloud photo near the beginning (after the pond scene) converted to elevation map, and turned 3D in the 3D Designer of PD Howler, the same elevation map later textured and animated in Carrara.

The Language of the Wind - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64cscmB5Vtg&list=PLBqbdhU5umbdKZYqV7WRDSO3J9zrzjxa9

This was a very neat thing you did with the transitions. Going from live camera footage to an image to height map in PD and then cruisin’ the landscape of Carrara… very cool trick!

As I watched through the series, I thought I saw a terrain grow… I haven’t tried yet as my workstation is always busy rendering. But can Carrara use animated Height maps?

I used the curve tool to correct a flickering tree trunk in a windy animated scene. the clouds are animated too.
First I used the curve tool and Rotoscoping to key frame where the trunk ‘should’ be by tracking where it really was throughout the animation. Then I made lightning and flashed the brightness levels with the strikes.  Then I made a rain mask for the first layer of rain using AnyFX, like your video shows.
Now it’s a 1280 x 720 Backdrop, and I saved the camera movement - which is used with this backdrop.
My first use was kind of okay… but the new one I’m making now is so much better!
Here’s my first one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Hedc99hAk

Signature 

Posted: 15 April 2013 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1085
Joined  2010-11-30

Howler 8.2d is out.  This was announced on the yahoo dogwaffle group.  The download link to registers going to be mailed out in the next two weeks to Howler 8 owners.

Howler 8.2d What’s New

Posted: 15 April 2013 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Awesome, right? My baby netbook had that black icon issue. Can’t wait to see what the UI choices are smile
I really love Dogwaffle more and more every time I open it. It took a little getting used to at first. But I blame myself, because I’ve been watching all of their videos in order, sequentially. I should have started with the Version 8 stuff, and then started from the beginning. Philip explains, in very great detail, exactly how to take your first steps in Howler (and/or Artist) within those first few videos. I find that I can just watch those things over and over again. That’s my nightly TV show now!

Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2013 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2013-02-26
A3DLover - 20 March 2013 11:01 PM

I still use 3.7 pd pro it really loves tga image sequences

I think we’ve started supporting more major formats natively, for importing image sequences, recently.

Posted: 23 April 2013 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
Dan_Ritchie - 23 April 2013 09:57 AM
A3DLover - 20 March 2013 11:01 PM

I still use 3.7 pd pro it really loves tga image sequences

I think we’ve started supporting more major formats natively, for importing image sequences, recently.

Very cool news! I’m really loving 8.2d even though I’ve barely had time to really put it to work. Just today I used the Motion Detection filter to lengthen several animation that went way too fast. I can hardly believe how fast you software works on these functions. I used some pretty decent settings, too - was very impressed with how smoothly the conversions went. That rotoscoping curve tool has got me a bit addicted. Here I am… all excited to paint and draw and make my own particle brush systems… Oh I wish I could buy time. But then again… If I could it would be way out of my range… I’d have to wait for a sale! smile

Signature 

Posted: 25 April 2013 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2013-02-26
Dartanbeck - 25 March 2013 12:06 PM

Finally!
My first short try at Dogwaffle was in a hotel room with a new netbook sporting Windows 8 64 bit, with a small cpu

We spent a lot of time developing on netbooks.  For some reason, we like those things.  One of our development machines is an AMD c60 powered APU, and an older one had one of the original Atom processors.  We did that also looking forward to tablets based on Windows 8.  It looks like AMD is releasing some Jaguar processors that should rock for tablets in the very near future.

Posted: 25 April 2013 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Kick A.. Anle…
Kick Ankle! Yeah… thats it!
I love this little thing too. It seems like it would almost fit in the drive of my mighty eight core workstation… and now I’m drooling over building a bigger, faster one… and you go and get me all excited to buy a new Jaguar! LOL
Love it. These things (netbooks) really are handy - mine is just the celeron with Win8 on it. Dogwaffle Howler works great - even on this teensy weesy smart phone - styled lappy. That’s what it is… my smart phone/sketchbook!

I’ll likely buy a Jaguar version when they come out. I give my current one to one of my four, adult children - who ever needs it most. Nobody ever turns down these cute little things. My Atom (the first Acer AspireOne netbooks) played Nevrwinter Nights pretty darned good for a proc that was designed out of smart-phone tech

Dan,
You truly are a hero to have made this marvelous software, that is Project Dogwaffle.And then to keep the older versions around for less cash, and those who have less need for the new. I need all the poweryou can give me. In fact, in the future I’d love to get more capability of fetting bigger. Like animating an 8000 x 4000 (or even bigger) spherical backgrounf image for Carrara. Perhaps Icould now if I had more RAM (I have 16GB now).

But I am so happy with my Howler! Man, I can’t beleive how real you make it. You have my stylus (which I’venever liked to use before) feeling exactly like a real paint brush, heavy and sticky with a glob of oil paint on it - or dry with a touch of acrylic, or tempra…

My first use was on this little netbook. I was traveling - didn’t like my first session with Win8, because I forgot my memorized e-mail PW that they’ve been making me change… Arghhh…  get into the hotel room, without actually knowing the right-click to choose a brush… I just used the panel controls to create what I thought would be a 7H, maybe 6H pencil. Jammed out a sketch just like I was on my sketch pad. As I get more used to the controls and my tablet, I’ll get much better - and want to create an oil painted animation fantasy drama - like a hour and a half, two hours long… somewhere in there… I think it would be fun, and very cool.

You freaking R O C K ! ! !
Oh… and I love you adventure music too!

Signature 

Posted: 01 May 2013 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

Hya

Is this a good place to ask questions?

So I am working at about 7200 by 3600 pixels for publication.
I need to take the CG look from some of my work.
I;ve had a few goes at changing the mode so I am exposing the swap channel
but
I’m finding the inbuilt brushes a little small.
Apart from that some of the effects are good.

I would like to turn my image into something more resembling hand worked.
My options might be water color, oil or coloured pencil effects.

Could someone hold my hand here for a moment (please)
So step one, I copy my image into dogwaffle into the swap channel?
And then - for example if I wanted to achieve a pencil effect what would I do?

I’m looking for a way to change the original image but not have to draw it again - being lazy smile

Also anyway of chancing the transparency of layers?
Is there a better place to ask these questions?

thanks in advance

Signature 

5 of 15