4 of 16
Project Dogwaffle Howler
Posted: 28 March 2013 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6184
Joined  2007-12-04
Garstor - 27 March 2013 11:29 AM

Is chivalry dead? Somebody get that poor woman a towel!

(Chicago - Italian Mobster accent from the movies of the 60’s) Sure thing, there… as soon as we get the footage we need. Don’t worry… the Dame’s getting paid!
Besides, she’s my Dame… and I gotta tell ya - Chivalry ain’t dead. She’s just tough, is all!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 07 April 2013 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1142
Joined  2010-11-30

New Project Dogwaffle product is out and the new build 8.2d of Howler got a preview in the new Dogwaffle Newsletter.

Link to the new product:

Project Dogwaffle Soundtrack Collection

Posted: 08 April 2013 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Gotta have it! Thanks for the link, Jay!

Also, for those of you who may want to try Dogwaffle for your still life work, PD Artist 8.2 just hit the shelves at the Daz3d store at a considerable savings to its already screaming low price! PD Artist is the same as PD Pro Howler without the ability to ‘create’ animations. You may still make and use animated brushes, just like the Howler edition - just cannot save as sequenced image files or avi

If you’ve ever enjoyed painting with oils, acrylics, watercolors… but either don’t like the mess, don’t have time to set it all up, or just can’t afford all of the paints and supplies, Project Dogwaffle is amazingly close to the same thing, but using your Windows computer instead! Your tablet and stylus will behave just like canvas or paper and brush. Don’t have a tablet? Project Dogwaffle’s curve tool will allow you to simulate a similar feel using your mouse!
It’s amazing how it allows you to leave your paint wet, or have it dry out, however you like to work. Never before have I felt such an “oil paint feel” before owning Dogwaffle!

Pencil sketching is amazing, too… even though Dogwaffle is digital - so it allows you to do so much more!

Going back throughout this thread will lead you to many various links to help illustrate what it looks like to work in it and with it. They are the most helpful developers I’ve seen so far with helping their customers understand how to use their software through personally recorded video tutorials, nicely edited into entertaining, educational broadcasts.

I have indexed some of the lessons into my own playlists that I thought I would share, just in case others find it useful.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 08 April 2013 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
Jay_NOLA - 07 April 2013 08:51 PM

New Project Dogwaffle product is out and the new build 8.2d of Howler got a preview in the new Dogwaffle Newsletter.

Link to the new product:

Project Dogwaffle Soundtrack Collection

Okay, I bought the DJ D’Artagnan collection from the Cool Creative Bundle. This is different. This is the excellent movie soundtrack material by Dan Ritchie, mastermind of Dogwaffle. Very cool! Thanks again, Jay!

Edit:
I’m thinking to myself… Why didn’t I get the newsletter? Sure enough. Sitting in the Spam folder along with Digital Anarchy’s letter. Why is it that every month I have to tell my e-mail that this stuff is not spam? shock
(Rhetorical question only - no answer required)
I’ll add the addresses to my contacts to avoid future mishaps. Of all of the stuff I get… these newsletters I really want to read! tongue laugh

Nice! Check out what our very own Jet Bird (Danis Anis) does with Dogwaffle!!!

Signature 

Posted: 09 April 2013 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2003-10-09

Tis a great program. I have 3.7 and PD Howler 6.2. So much to learn and so little time to do it in.

Posted: 09 April 2013 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2112
Joined  2008-01-28

looks interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06F37wZw9g0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=145HNAj9wMA

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 10 April 2013 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2004-03-24
head wax - 09 April 2013 10:11 PM

looks interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06F37wZw9g0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=145HNAj9wMA

Glad you saw these. There’s a whole bunch more in our youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/pdhowler - and if you have any questions like “How do I…?” be sure to contact me and I just might make time to create another tutorial.

These two videos you listed focus on the 3D Designer which has been in PD Pro (Howler and Artist editions) for a little while but only with this new 8.2 release have we added GPU support, so it’s at times significantly faster. There are a few other filters that also already use the GPU when possible, but this is probably by far the one with the biggest impact. So we have a lot of new features also in the 3D Designer, such as distant fog and ground fog, antialiasing and prefiltering, and you can transfer the Zbuffer data to alpha, for example to then do a smart Bokeh blur based on the distance.. The 3D Designer can be used for much more than terrain but that’s certainly a great starting activity. You can also flip it vertically and use it for great clouds that appear a little 3D/depth’ish with sun lighting from underneath. You can see some examples in the Gallery or Slideshow at http://www.thebest3d.com/slideshow8.2

Image Attachments
terrainClouds01.jpg

Posted: 10 April 2013 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  269
Joined  2006-05-09

Well I bought the cool creative bundle and bought the upgrade to PD 8.2.  Now just to use it all smile

Signature 

Carrara Cafe

Posted: 11 April 2013 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2112
Joined  2008-01-28

staigerman saideth

Glad you saw these. There’s a whole bunch more in our youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/pdhowler - and if you have any questions like “How do I…?” be sure to contact me and I just might make time to create another tutorial.

thanks I appreciate that.
I have had plenty of fun with the 8.2 paint part (don’t do animations at the moment)

I have been designing the terrains in dogwaffle and bringing them height maps and texture maps into carrara wink

though they look excellent in dogwaffle - better actually because of the real time feedback with the lighting.

the transform to 3d gives a very fast response - and I’m doing textures 4096 by 4096

some really excellent results so far , lots I need to experiment with

your tuts on the net are very good (apart from the music wink ) Tuts make a big difference as far as customer satisfaction and repeat business.

thanks for How Do I offer. I’ll certainly send you questions if necessary.

(just kidding about the music)

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 11 April 2013 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Yeah… I love the music!!!
I really love how FAST dogwaffle is with animation stuff. I bought the Cool Creative Bundle, which was going to be my one chance to try PD Pro 7.2, but Philip was so fast with sending me my upgrade code, I installed Howler 8.2 instead! lol
I’ve been watching the tutorials every night now. My wife watches TV, I watch “The Daily Dose”! (I still call it that, even though they don’t, anymore)

My new product is nearly done. Then I am planning on making Howler part of my normal work flow - and will likely come up with some new questions for you. I’ve never used anything quite so cool. Plenty of image editing things… but nothing like this. Wow. My pen and tablet just came to life. No more sitting lifeless on a shelf collecting dust. With Howler’s speed at rendering animations, I think I have some cool new ideas on how to help Carrara animators by using Howler right along side of it. You’ll see soon.

Philip Staigerman,
Glad to see you in this thread. Love your video tutorials, TheBest3d.com website and, of course, your product. I find it impressive how you help everybody by offering previous version of your software at a discount. That’s a handy way to start, if you lack the funds for the latest and greatest, but still need the tools. Dogwaffle is so unique in it’s Brush-centric, Alpha-centric, Filter-centric sort of way, that anything is possible.

I made a Carrara animation, and the wind blew too hard on some of the trees. It made their trunks disappear and reappear - flashing. Before Howler, that whole animation (and the time spent rendering it) would have been lost. But I saw your episodes about rotoscoping and had to give it a try. I was amazed at how well and how quickly I was able to fix it! But then I played around with the color/contrast grading features of AnyFX plugin… Wow! Anyways, there is still so much more to explore here.

Signature 

Posted: 11 April 2013 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2006-03-31
Dartanbeck - 11 April 2013 06:05 AM

Philip was so fast with sending me my upgrade code, I installed Howler 8.2 instead!

I know what you mean. I got the absolute, very best customer support from those people. I was amazed. I got an early edition freebie to look at it and immediately purchased a full version. The same day, I got the coupon for updating, and I am saving up for it now (have to recoup from March Madness).

I also had a bit of a problem with my installation and could not get it going straight off, so I emailed them and the turnaround on the support was phenomenal! Same day!

I love this program - if only I were good enough to use it to it’s full extent (I mainly use these types of programs for photo editing and “accidental” abstracts)... but I know enough about these types of software to know what an artist needs, and this one does not disappoint in the least.

Signature 

Forget world peace…
    visualize using your turn signal!

Posted: 11 April 2013 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
staticdrifter - 11 April 2013 06:40 AM
Dartanbeck - 11 April 2013 06:05 AM

Philip was so fast with sending me my upgrade code, I installed Howler 8.2 instead!

I know what you mean. I got the absolute, very best customer support from those people. I was amazed. I got an early edition freebie to look at it and immediately purchased a full version. The same day, I got the coupon for updating, and I am saving up for it now (have to recoup from March Madness).

I also had a bit of a problem with my installation and could not get it going straight off, so I emailed them and the turnaround on the support was phenomenal! Same day!

I love this program - if only I were good enough to use it to it’s full extent (I mainly use these types of programs for photo editing and “accidental” abstracts)... but I know enough about these types of software to know what an artist needs, and this one does not disappoint in the least.

I know,
I can’t wait to get better, myself. Practice, practice, practice.
I am familiar with many of the usual terms and how to adjust the filters and such. But I’ve never seen an Alpha layer being treated so wonderfully before. Just paint away. I can paint the individual needles on my pine trees, then come back with a bigger brush and finish painting in the rest of the opposite of what I want selected within the Alpha channel, and the invert the selection and animate stuff in the new selection. Never have I had it so easy!

Key framing the curve tool is amazingly easy. At first I was bumming that I didn’t think I should (or could) use motion detection, since the trunks were actually disappearing. Not motion detector, the other one in the rotoscoping tools. So I had to key frame in the trunk manually. Wow… it’s just as easy as working within Carrara. They’re perfect together!

I am going to have a lot of fun with the particles!

Signature 

Posted: 11 April 2013 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2004-03-24
head wax - 11 April 2013 12:48 AM

staigerman saideth

I have been designing the terrains in dogwaffle and bringing them height maps and texture maps into carrara wink
though they look excellent in dogwaffle - better actually because of the real time feedback with the lighting.
the transform to 3d gives a very fast response - and I’m doing textures 4096 by 4096
some really excellent results so far , lots I need to experiment with

Ooooh I’d looooove to see these terrains and texture maps and stuff you make. PErhaps something we could feature in a DOTM page? (Dogwaffler of the Moment). You can see the “DOTM” link in the top left of our main page at thebest3d.com

We’re always looking for great examples to show and tell, especially when it also speaks to users of Carrara, Poser, DAZstudio, Bryce etc… and can help show them how PD Pro can be used in conjunction with those other great tools.

I did a bunch of 3D terrain animations in Carrara in support of a musician in Honduras who needed some screen activity ahead of his live concerts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCvU_H9vU4I&list=PLBqbdhU5umbdKZYqV7WRDSO3J9zrzjxa9

- the last one had also a bit of PD work in there, showing the transition from a cloud photo near the beginning (after the pond scene) converted to elevation map, and turned 3D in the 3D Designer of PD Howler, the same elevation map later textured and animated in Carrara.

The Language of the Wind - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64cscmB5Vtg&list=PLBqbdhU5umbdKZYqV7WRDSO3J9zrzjxa9

Image Attachments
my-terrains-animated-in-Carrara.jpg

Posted: 11 April 2013 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

- the last one had also a bit of PD work in there, showing the transition from a cloud photo near the beginning (after the pond scene) converted to elevation map, and turned 3D in the 3D Designer of PD Howler, the same elevation map later textured and animated in Carrara.

That’s really cool that we can do this.

Signature 

Posted: 11 April 2013 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Wow. I was just about to start digging through the manual to figure out how to apply Text to an image. Before I did, I remembered my lessons on growing alpha and subtracting from alpha. Yeah… I want that. So I just click the Text to Alpha button. nothing. Oh… Alpha is currently white, and I used white because I wanted… okay, so clear alpha to black and stamp. Yeah!
So it’s not at all a difficult tool (or suite of tools, rather), but I just need to get used to how everything works and where to find the stuff - which all makes perfect sense once you start Howling and Waffling, anyways!

Edit: I didn’t do that… I made a new brush with the text and painted that down where I wanted it in the Alpha Channel, then worked with it from there.

Image Attachments
Dense_Forest_Stream.jpgMountain_Fog.jpgSun_Rays.jpgWith_Starry_Sky.jpg
 Signature 

4 of 16