Digital Art Zone

9 of 18
Project Dogwaffle Howler
Posted: 15 May 2013 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  155
Joined  2004-03-24

So, some of these channels, like depth channel, was that rendered in Dazstudio, Carrara, Poser or other? Either way, you could load that into the alpha channel of Dogwaffle, to make it a selection that fades with distance. Then you can do all sorts of things that are limited to the little critter or the foreground, such as fade the background to blurry (might need to invert alpha first). There’s also another filter in the Artistic filters group, Brush Strokes. Can also be useful. Perhaps in one layer and again in another layer with different direction. Layers will multiply or otherwise combine.

Posted: 15 May 2013 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2210
Joined  2008-01-28
staigerman - 15 May 2013 08:11 AM

So, some of these channels, like depth channel, was that rendered in Dazstudio, Carrara, Poser or other? Either way, you could load that into the alpha channel of Dogwaffle, to make it a selection that fades with distance. Then you can do all sorts of things that are limited to the little critter or the foreground, such as fade the background to blurry (might need to invert alpha first). There’s also another filter in the Artistic filters group, Brush Strokes. Can also be useful. Perhaps in one layer and again in another layer with different direction. Layers will multiply or otherwise combine.

Ahh, what a great idea. Thanks for that! Will try it this evening!

The renders are Carrara. The Carrara depth pass is strange but I will keep playing with it. For example if you use an infinite plain, the plane is black from near to far - and so are things on it (?)

so once you discover that it helps.

I’m not sure if the depthe effect is focal length dependent or whether a render of an individual object as opposed to that object in a scene, gives a different depth effect/

Will check it out because those things too will make a big difference.

thanks again for your help. It really helps to have such good guided exploration.

cheers wink

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 17 May 2013 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  155
Joined  2004-03-24

Hello, here’s another look at some of the techniques to add a toony artsy look including a border around the rendered character coming out of Poser in this example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPxHArAOk7w&feature=youtu.be

Posted: 18 May 2013 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

wow! thanks very much for the doing that!
Looks great and lots of stuff to chew on.
Shows how deep this goes.
Can’t wait to have a play with all these ideas smile

!!!!!!!!

appreciated once again.

Signature 

Posted: 19 June 2013 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6469
Joined  2007-12-04
head wax - 15 May 2013 02:42 PM

The Carrara depth pass is strange but I will keep playing with it. For example if you use an infinite plain, the plane is black from near to far - and so are things on it (?)

I think that may be due to the nature of the infinite plane. So, if you know you’re going for a depth pass thing… try using a plane instead, and scaling it WAY big and see if you get a difference in the depth pass. This is all a guess as I’ve never used depth pass and such yet. Just two cents to try.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 19 June 2013 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
staigerman - 17 May 2013 08:44 AM

Hello, here’s another look at some of the techniques to add a toony artsy look including a border around the rendered character coming out of Poser in this example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPxHArAOk7w&feature=youtu.be

Very Cool! Thanks Philip!
You know, I’ll never tire of your instructional videos. You can just keep making them if you want… hint, hint!

On that note, you could even make some for Carrara, if you’d like smile

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 19 June 2013 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Just FYI:
I have edited the First Post of this Thread with a nice pile of links to help guide you into some great ways to find out more about Project Dogwaffle.

Whether you already have any version of Dogwaffle or just want to have a look at some of what this amazing software is all about, you’ll find some great information and links in that, initial post.

I’d also like to mention that the latest and greatest Dogwaffle is now available here, at the Daz3d store!

Signature 

Posted: 19 June 2013 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2006-05-09

Thanks for all the information you added and all the work!

Signature 

Carrara Cafe

Posted: 19 June 2013 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28
Dartanbeck - 19 June 2013 08:05 AM

The Carrara depth pass is strange but I will keep playing with it. For example if you use an infinite plain, the plane is black from near to far - and so are things on it (?)

I think that may be due to the nature of the infinite plane. So, if you know you’re going for a depth pass thing… try using a plane instead, and scaling it WAY big and see if you get a difference in the depth pass. This is all a guess as I’ve never used depth pass and such yet. Just two cents to try.

Yes that works thank you.
We need a thread on Carrara rendering layers I think - they seemed underused.
And they obviously work well when used in Dogwaffle. wink (insert wink here)

Signature 

Posted: 20 June 2013 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
-_Milo_- - 19 June 2013 10:46 PM

Thanks for all the information you added and all the work!

You’re welcome.

head wax - 19 June 2013 11:13 PM

We need a thread on Carrara rendering layers I think - they seemed underused.
And they obviously work well when used in Dogwaffle. wink

Yes… We need that!

head wax - 19 June 2013 11:13 PM

(insert wink here)

I want our smileys back!

Signature 

Posted: 20 June 2013 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2006-04-26
Dartanbeck - 19 June 2013 08:05 AM

Exactly, using a regular plane as a “background” will force the greyscale values to a specific range of distances.

The problem here is that a maximum of 256 greyscale values will be used, so if you don’t “limit” the distance range you may end up with a bunch of objects with the same (or close to the same value). Obviously this is not very useful for a depth information.

If Carrara used 65536 (16-bit) greyscale values, the depth pass would be much more useful. For compositing with transparency or blur, the 256 values is a severe limitation. Hopefully this will be corrected very soon because in my opinion it is one of the main things preventing Carrara from being used professionally for compositing work

Posted: 20 June 2013 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-04-26

I should say limited to 256 greyscale values when exported. Internally, Carrara is using more or we would not get the nice renderings with subtle transparency.

Posted: 20 June 2013 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28
cdordoni - 20 June 2013 07:59 PM

I should say limited to 256 greyscale values when exported. Internally, Carrara is using more or we would not get the nice renderings with subtle transparency.

Thanks for the explanation. I often wondered how contracting the depth of a scene would change the range of tonal values in a depth pass, and there the answer was looking at me all the time (in how the infinite plane works) Yet I didn’t see it smile

cheers

Signature 

Posted: 20 June 2013 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-04-26

I’m not sure if the depthe effect is focal length dependent or whether a render of an individual object as opposed to that object in a scene, gives a different depth effect

If you wanted consistency with this, you would need an object(s) always the same near distance and always the same far distance that is rendered by the camera.

I suppose you could build a “set” that would accomplish this. The near and far objects could also be very small. What I have not experimented with yet is if the objects were smaller than a pixel in the finished rendering if this would still work to limit the range without requiring any editing later.

Posted: 21 June 2013 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Speaking of building sets, that’s what I am constantly doing with Carrara - constantly. The advice I give in “Your Carrara Browser” is how I am able to keep all of the things I’m constantly doing in an organized library that I can access at any moment’s notice. So when you hear me going off about how happy I am because I just bought Shanty Town by TheAntFarm, you’ll also know that I have given it the standard lighting and shader treatment in a scene with a standard background that fits with the continuity of the rest of my scenes, and saved it in it’s rightful spot as a new .car file.
This is a big part of what I consider to be the Magic of Carrara - as no other software has ever been so friendly towards accomplishing these tasks - that I have tried.

Signature 

9 of 18