Digital Art Zone

1 of 15
Project Dogwaffle Howler
Posted: 13 February 2013 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5965
Joined  2007-12-04

Okay, I’m editing this first post, since I’ve started this thread before I bought it - so some of the earlier posts might not make much sense after I change this one. Oh well.

I went looking into Dogwaffle because, after seeing what it does, I was under the impression that it could be the ultimate post work editor for Carrara. Regular image editors work great for stills, but I do animation work. PD Pro: Howler is like an image editor for animated files… or so I thought! Project Dogwaffle might look similar to an image editor by looking at its interface - but that’s very near the end of the similarities. Sure you can do a lot of what an image editor can do - and you can even use it as an image editor. It is beautiful for that stuff. But Dogwaffle goes vastly beyond that. It is extremely brush-centric - meaning that you perform much of your work through a brush - even though it doesn’t seem like you would. There are also other ways of doing everything, so If it takes a while for the brush-centric methods to sink in, you can use other techniques to put amazing enhancements to existing images, or start from scratch. You can use your brush to store an animation. Then save that brush to a buffer window and grab a different brush and use that. Dogwaffle works with buffer windows to enable you to store anything you are doing along the path of creating your masterpiece. This cool set of functions allows everyone to work in any order they choose. Daniel Ritchie, the brainchild of Project Dogwaffle, is after all an artist. A very good artist who has unlocked the way an artist has to deal with digital graphics forever! He made brushes that feel… yes, feel as if you were really painting with your favorite brush using oil paints on a canvas. Speaking of oils on a canvas, he also made it so that, wherever you are in your project, the current colors on the canvas can be dry, still fresh and wet, or anywhere in between, giving an incredibly analog feel. It’s beautiful!

There is a lot to talk about, when it comes to Dogwaffle. So I will be editing some more of the posts I’ve made below if it doesn’t seem to interrupt the flow to much. For now I’d like to toss out a few links to help me illustrate how cool this software is. One of the developers, Philip Staigerman, the guy in charge of bringing Dogwaffle into the Daz3d store, releasing it and other cool things and news, etc., to the site that he runs, The Best 3d.com, and many other things (he must be very energetic to be so busy!) also is much of the magic behind helping us, the programs users, to understand its many many features and functions. And he does so in the funnest way possible. He’s excellent. What he does, is creates wonderful tutorials while using the software, and releases them to YouTube. There are many more tutorials at his site, but his videos have been my favorite source to learn from.

►  The Best 3d.com (Philip Staiger’s Dogwaffle staging grounds)
      This place is Endless! Ever have some spare time and want to have some fun? Check this place out!

►  Dogwaffle Tutorials at The Best 3d.com

►  My Playlists of his YouTube tutorials (You’ll run across this on page 3 of this thread)

Okay, below the link to The Best 3d.com, above, I wrote that the place is endless, right? Check this out. He has a page on there that almost seems to never end with links to useful places to know in any field you may be in, to have led you to this thread. Brilliant. Well… here you go:

►  An Exhaustive List of Links to Great Products, Resources, Plugins, and Information from TheBest3D.com

Here is a cool Project Dogwaffle Overview of the many versions that you have to choose from. Being an animator, I needed the best that they have to offer for that. So I have “Skyock’s Egret” , otherwise known as PD Pro Howler 8.2, which has an impressive list of amazing new features added to an already amazing piece of artist-ware. Here is a list of features added to version 8.2 from version 8.1 just before it! Amazing, right? I know!

Well I’ve been the proud owner of Skyock’s Egret for a short time now, and the experience has been nothing short of amazing. I used to have difficulty in image editors, getting a selection just right. In any version of Dogwaffle, you can use any tool you want within this incredible Alpha channel. You can use the usual tools found in image editors, but I’ve had times when I wished that I could get my selections really precise around very tight details. Dogwaffle lets you paint in the alpha. Yeah… with an unlimited amount of brushes. Truly unlimited. You can take any piece of any image or any little part or the whole part of whatever you draw or paint, and turn it immediately into a brush! What even more cool, like I’ve mentioned earlier, you can store that brush and make another! Save as many brushes as you like! Store as many things as your computer’s memory can handle. I have 16GB and can double that on this workstation, so I can store all the stored thingies that I want! I can help you build your own really cool workstation here There’s also a really powerful curve tool in Dogwaffle. In Howler versions, your curve tool has “Rotoscoping” options in a special menu called: “Rotoscoping”! Clever, huh! Well I’ve made an animation with Carrara where I set up al the trees to have blowing wind properties amongst everything else. Well in the rendering process, one of the trunks to my trees would flash between visible and invisible. CGI animators deal with this sort of stuff all the time. It’s not just Carrara that has issues during an animated render. Anyways, normally I’d have to change some settings and try again, not knowing if the next time would have similarly disappointing results or not. Throw the previous render away… right? Well this was a good time to try my hand at Rotoscoping for the first time in my shiny new copy of Howler. Well embarrassingly enough, I couldn’t remember how. No big deal… all I had to do is to watch this video, or series of videos, rather, and I was creating my own tracking mask for editing a falling tree trunk in the middle of a wind storm animation. Of course, it wasn’t supposed to be just a wind storm. I wanted this animation so that I could take it into Howler, and make a lightning storm in the rain, using my new AnyFX Plugin for the rain FX. The Rotoscoping went very well my first try through, and I didn’t use automatic tracking, since my trunk was disappearing on me. Here is the result on YouTube, if you’re interested. Here is the tutorial on making lightning and rain.

Dogwaffle, not just Howler, has all kinds of great artists tools. Some may not even sound like artists tools, like Particles. The very word used to make me nervous in 3d. But that was before I realized how easy they are to work with - especially in Carrara! But even more so in Dogwaffle. This particles system is applied to a brush and works its magic whenever you start to paint with it. In its simplest form, it shoots out particles according to various, easy to understand and manipulate parameters in the brushes settings panel. However, the Particles brush includes a great list of presets to choose from. You may never even need to set up your own. I know I will!
Here, at Daz3d’s Store, you can even buy the Particles Brushes in their own little program for only $5.00 at the time that I write this - not even on sale! Check out what we have here at Daz3d. For the same small price, you can even get PD Pro 3.5! FYI: PD Pro didn’t become “Howler” until version 6. I say this because Philip may say: “But you would need Howler for that”... so now you know that this would mean PD Pro 6 or newer.

Check out the 3D Designer Landscapes you can make with Howler 8.2!

Here are some more great tutorial videos on features that I think are incredibly helpful to Carrara artists:

►  Spritesheets to Animation and Back Again!  Miniseries

►  [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pam866XH-bY&list=PLXrNZxsK3Q4lVPT1iUURZTuuvScgedO_k]Using Drop Magenta for Video Compositing[url] The same techniques can be used for “Magic Pink”, “Green Screen” and “Blue Screen” within PD

►  Turn your Meals into… a Planet???!!!  Miniseries

►  Dan Ritchie Shows Us How to Paint anOrange!

►  Creating Your Own Paints Pallets

►  Intro to the Curve Tool  Miniseries

►  Cityscapes using 3D Designer Miniseries

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 13 February 2013 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

I’ve been seeing this since I’ve been shopping at Daz3d, except the older version - which still looks great to this day!
I’m going to get it. It just looks too perfect for what I want to do.
You can even open and save avi files, you can convert footage to slow-mo or time-lapse…
But I’ll even be able to draw right on my video footage! Yeah!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 13 February 2013 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  319
Joined  2006-02-03

There was a review on DogWaffle Pro 6 by a Dana Anis.  Is that the same one who frequents the Carrara forum?

http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/dotm/DanasAnis/review.html

Posted: 13 February 2013 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Yeah.
Thanks!

Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2013 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4951
Joined  2006-08-27
Dartanbeck - 13 February 2013 11:05 AM

So I’m going to get this PD Pro v.7 - Howler. I was wondering if anyone here has tried it? I know you can get a trial… I’ll do that when I’m nearing the purchase.

PD looks like it would be perfect for animated clip post work, doesn’t it?

Just looks like with this, I won’t need to keep borrowing PS from my nephew’s computer (even though he lives in the neighboring duplex). He has a Mac, so it’s all backwards for me to use that anyways. I have theGimp, Someone set me up with a link to Art Weaver, which I’ve downloaded but haven’t tried.
Gimp has been okay, but I still go next door to use PS. He’s in Multi-media college and has the full-blown CS from Adobe. But… like I said. It’s Mac.

Not to rip on Mac, but - how does anyone ever get used to that? Geeze!

I would ask how anyone ever got used to Windows, as Macs had a GUI before Microsoft. Quit hitting your head on your masonry jobs, and you’ll have an easier time using a Mac. raspberry

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 13 February 2013 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1308
Joined  2006-08-19
evilproducer - 13 February 2013 02:48 PM
Dartanbeck - 13 February 2013 11:05 AM

So I’m going to get this PD Pro v.7 - Howler. I was wondering if anyone here has tried it? I know you can get a trial… I’ll do that when I’m nearing the purchase.

PD looks like it would be perfect for animated clip post work, doesn’t it?

Just looks like with this, I won’t need to keep borrowing PS from my nephew’s computer (even though he lives in the neighboring duplex). He has a Mac, so it’s all backwards for me to use that anyways. I have theGimp, Someone set me up with a link to Art Weaver, which I’ve downloaded but haven’t tried.
Gimp has been okay, but I still go next door to use PS. He’s in Multi-media college and has the full-blown CS from Adobe. But… like I said. It’s Mac.

Not to rip on Mac, but - how does anyone ever get used to that? Geeze!

I would ask how anyone ever got used to Windows, as Macs had a GUI before Microsoft. Quit hitting your head on your masonry jobs, and you’ll have an easier time using a Mac. raspberry

not if I want to continue to use Bryce…

Signature 

http://rarethdigitalmusings.blogspot.com/

http://rareth1966.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 13 February 2013 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
evilproducer - 13 February 2013 02:48 PM

But….

Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2013 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1099
Joined  2010-11-30

I’ve use it for video editing and it works great.

A new version, PD Pro 8.2, is in the works.

Also, you sometimes can find an older version of Dogwaffle on sale at DAZ and it can be cheaper to buy an older version when it is on sale and pay the upgrade cost to the newer version.  I did that and saved about $50 if I remember correctly.

Support is excellent and if you buy it, you’ll get emails on development, new tutorials, and other things.

Brush wise you’ll have to convert your photo shop brushes to use them with it.  This isn’t difficult.

Posted: 13 February 2013 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
Jay_NOLA - 13 February 2013 06:04 PM

Also, you sometimes can find an older version of Dogwaffle on sale at DAZ and it can be cheaper to buy an older version when it is on sale and pay the upgrade cost to the newer version.  I did that and saved about $50 if I remember correctly.

Support is excellent and if you buy it, you’ll get emails on development, new tutorials, and other things.

Brush wise you’ll have to convert your photo shop brushes to use them with it.  This isn’t difficult.

Perfect!  Yeah, they have 5.1b in the store for $50 less. But 7.2 is already at such a great deal… I’ll support the cause.
Was trying to watch through some of those awesome (and many!!!) video tutorials, but I got stuck in on my hair project - when I’m actually supposed to be working! I’m in trouble now!

Thanks Jay. I’ll be Howlin’ and Wafflin’ soon!

Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2013 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4628
Joined  2004-07-01
Dartanbeck - 13 February 2013 06:25 PM
Jay_NOLA - 13 February 2013 06:04 PM

Perfect!  Yeah, they have 5.1b in the store for $50 less. But 7.2 is already at such a great deal… I’ll support the cause.
Was trying to watch through some of those awesome (and many!!!) video tutorials, but I got stuck in on my hair project - when I’m actually supposed to be working! I’m in trouble now!

Thanks Jay. I’ll be Howlin’ and Wafflin’ soon!

tryed it off and on for years - not a big fan - to many other free ones to used .

Posted: 14 February 2013 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Project Dogwaffle
Looking for a decent animation editing tool that won’t break the bank, yet has a multitude of features that allow me to conduct various levels of post work on sequenced images. Well Project Dogwaffle Pro 7: Howler goes even beyond that. It lets you open, edit and save avi files. This looks like the exact product I was looking for - and I found it right here at Daz3d!
Amazingly, I was checking out PD Particles, thinking it was a plugin pack. No. For $5, it’s a stand-alone image software! Same with the $5 PD Pro 3.5! Amazing. That’s really inexpensive for those tools. You don’t need any of that with PD Pro 7.2 (or the up-and-coming Pro 8). For this is an entire culmination of everything they’ve got - or so it seems.

TheBest3d.com The Creators of Project Dogwaffle Home Page

About Philip Staiger & TheBest3d

3rd Party Plugins Page

Signature 

Posted: 14 February 2013 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Okay, just learning more, I am quite certain that I’ll be able to (should I decide to, which I might) use the Dynamic hair that I like so much, and remove the friz frames selectively (just the hair) to eliminate the jitter. Another option on that same note, is that I could blend the differences, and yet another method would be to store the hair frame data - any frame I choose, and use it to filter out the jitter caused by the friz or kink shader during animation.
Granted, this is all theory based on learning from the great information gleaned through video tutorials at Project Dogwaffle - The Daily Dose, where you spend less money and spend more time Waffling and Howling! Gotta love this guy!

Talk about the perfect painter software for the animator, though. At least it seems. We’ll find out soon.

Signature 

Posted: 14 February 2013 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Interested in Project Dogwaffle?
Peruse the Online Help File or you can
Download the extensive Help Manual Here and print it out.

Project Dogwaffle Products @ Daz3d.com

Did you know that you can get a free plugin to turn an AVI into an Animated Brush?
You can load an animation or video from Avi file directly into the cutom brush as an animated brush and paint with it - even paint video on video!!!

Save Poser runs to Animated Gif
Creating Poser walk sequences?
Convert AVI and Save to animated Gif using the free DoggyFX plugin. Also supports importing animated gif and saving to MNG!!!

Find out a whole lot more of what you can do at the Project Dogwaffle’s extensive Tutorials Index
And let’s get Waffling and Howling!!!

Image Attachments
PD_Alphas.gifPD_SSexample.gifPD_PoserRun.gifPD_Dogwaffle.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 14 February 2013 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1099
Joined  2010-11-30

Some of the free plugins are all ready included in newer versions of the program.  A few aren’t though.

Pixelean makes a version of AnyFX for Dogwaffle that is worth purchasing.

http://www.pixelan.com/afx/intro.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVmlAsSNKXs

Also, for those who like space scenes.  Tutorial to do a rocket exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUc006DWiws&feature=share&list=UUhhWiBVGa-zLq52myfi-UlA

Posted: 15 February 2013 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Okay,
I haven’t been feeling well today, so I’m just kickin’ back with my dog on my lap, watching The Dailey Dose, which is a playlist of TV shows, 15 minutes long, that are Dogwaffle tutorials. Less Money, More Howling!
These are really good. I’m just amazed at what this software can do. Enough typing for now. My little dog, Celie, and I have to get back to Waffling and Howling. vampire

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2013 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-02-01
Dartanbeck - 15 February 2013 06:00 PM

Okay,
I haven’t been feeling well today, so I’m just kickin’ back with my dog on my lap, watching The Dailey Dose, which is a playlist of TV shows, 15 minutes long, that are Dogwaffle tutorials. Less Money, More Howling!
These are really good. I’m just amazed at what this software can do. Enough typing for now. My little dog, Celie, and I have to get back to Waffling and Howling. vampire

Dart,

I’ll assume you have seen this post but if not, here it is. I just bought 7.2 here on DAZ as well.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/16400/

Signature 

DaRkWyNdE/Tigrestripe
—————————————————————————————————————————————
There is no reality. Everything is just a render of your imaginiation.

1 of 15