Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Total Newbie Tutorial: How to apply a Surface Shader in DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro
Posted: 12 February 2013 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2007-11-24

I admit it…I’m a total newbie. In fact, I’m such a newbie I can still count the number of renders I’ve done on the fingers of both hands. So why oh why would I write a tutorial?

Basically, because as newbies, sometimes we need a step-by-step on how to do the most basic tasks – in this case, applying a shader. Hopefully, this will be of some use to someone.

Step One:
Acquire some shaders. These can be purchased or downloaded for free and can do things like make a surface appear to be different types of fabric, or metal, or even stone or wood. (Note that this tutorial is not intended to explain light shaders).

Step Two:
Install your shader files. These could be executable files, or they could be zip files. Either way, install them the same way you would install any other file. Double-click on the .exe file or extract and move the zip files.

Step Three:
Load the model whose surface you want to change. Make sure that the name of the model is selected in the Parameters Tab.

Image Attachments
Tutorial_1.jpg

Posted: 12 February 2013 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-24

Step Four:
Open your surfaces tab by clicking WINDOW—TABS—SURFACES (color)

Image Attachments
Tutorial_2.jpg

Posted: 12 February 2013 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-24

Step Five:

The name of the model selected in the parameters tab will already be open in the surfaces tab. Click on the model’s name to apply the shader to the whole model.

Image Attachments
Tutorial_3.jpg

Posted: 12 February 2013 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-24

Step Six:

If the model is made up of parts, you can choose to apply the shader to only some of the parts at a time. To see the parts, click the triangle next to the model name to get a list of the parts. Click on the part you wish to change. (In this case, I have chosen Victoria 4.2 and SKIN FACE.

Image Attachments
Tutorial_4.jpg

Posted: 12 February 2013 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-24

Step Seven:

Locate the shader you wish to use in the Content Library. If the shaders were designed for DAZ Studio, try clicking DAZ STUDIO FORMATS—STUDIO 3—SHADERS.

Image Attachments
Tutorial_5.jpg

Posted: 12 February 2013 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-24

Step Eight:

Apply the shader by clicking on the folder containing the shaders (in this case, Fuzzy Wuzzy, a free shader pack from Marianne) and then double-clicking on the shader itself. (I chose the black bear shader)

Note that while the color of Victoria’s face changed, it is not fuzzy yet. This is because you will only see the full shader effect after rendering.

Image Attachments
Tutorial_6.jpg

Posted: 12 February 2013 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-24

That’s it. A basic how-to tutorial by a total newbie. If anyone would like to add anything, feel free!

Posted: 12 February 2013 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16419
Joined  2009-01-22

100% correct, but do not forget the Shader must be applied when Both are selected. And Shaders are great. I use them on clothing and props all the time.

EDIT: Well done.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 12 February 2013 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1272
Joined  0

thank you for that tutorial….its nice to see step by step how to do things click this select that…and not assume we already know smile

Posted: 13 February 2013 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-24
Jaderail - 12 February 2013 06:27 PM

100% correct, but do not forget the Shader must be applied when Both are selected. And Shaders are great. I use them on clothing and props all the time.

Thank-you!

Posted: 13 February 2013 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-24
Kharma - 12 February 2013 08:11 PM

thank you for that tutorial….its nice to see step by step how to do things click this select that…and not assume we already know smile

thank-you!  I was inspired by the fantastic kit-bashing contest going on over in the commons. I almost didn’t enter because I couldn’t figure out how to apply the shaders. It’s really fun once you get going, lol.

Posted: 13 February 2013 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1272
Joined  0

awesome that you entered, I hardly even look at the contest threads cause no way am I ready to enter any contest…still fumbling around finding stuff smile

Good for you!!!

Posted: 13 February 2013 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  187
Joined  2012-02-05

Love this step by step method…i have just tried this and i have learnt from it so i hope you continue with the step by steps lol THANKYOU

Posted: 04 March 2013 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3343
Joined  2012-02-06

Great tutorial, SGCBearcub! Knowing how to apply a shader is a very important skill to have, and not something that’s easy to figure out…until someone tells you how. smile

I thought I’d mention that in addition to applying freebie shaders you’ve acquired, and shaders you have purchased, this same method can also be used to apply the Elite Human Surface Shader (EHSS) and UberSurface shader, both of which are included with the DAZ Studio software. Either is great for realistic skin, and can also be useful when applied to clothing, hair, or other items (note: many products load with EHSS or UberSurface by default, but many others do not).

They offer many settings and delving into them can get pretty technical, but here’s a good resource for getting started: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/20658113-how-to-use-the-elite-human-surface-shaders (That’s for EHSS, but the same method can be used for UberSurface) It’s a good “next step” for those who want to learn more about using shaders.

Edited to add: EHSS and UberSurface are similar in many ways, but UberSurface offers more settings and options.

Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 04 March 2013 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2012-12-20
Jaderail - 12 February 2013 06:27 PM

what does both refer to?

Posted: 04 March 2013 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16419
Joined  2009-01-22

The Item in the Scene Tab and the Surface you wish to change in the Surfaces Tab. Both must be selected to Apply a Shader.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

1 of 2