Digital Art Zone

5 of 7
IMPORTANT - Install Manager Notice - BEST THING EVER (updated)
Posted: 23 March 2013 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6413
Joined  2007-12-04
holly wetcircuit - 08 March 2013 07:19 AM
Dartanbeck - 07 March 2013 08:53 PM

It started uninstalling everything it had to update and jammed out the whole thing….

long face is this…. favorable…? Pardon me for only speaking Vulcan at taking things too literally. I had to re-read this several times and it didn’t make sense until I applied a “Rad Dewd” accent to it… LOL

sick

Sorry, that’s Dartanian for: “It proceeded to uninstall the old files and replaced them with the new, in the same locations to avoid errors”.

Also, to write the article, mentioned here, on the previous page,  I uninstalled all of the content that I wanted to switch to runtime folders. The DIM is equally proficient (and fast) with uninstalling as it is downloading and installing. Writing the article side by side as I performed the operations and created the folders was fun. I hope anyone interested in this stuff enjoys the read.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 28 March 2013 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-12-29

I’m not sure where to mention this, so I’ll ask it here:

If we are 100% SURE that the only products not included in the Daz Install Manager download listing are those exclusive to Bryce and Carrara, Plugins from other parties, and software, (we ARE 100% certain, right?) then shouldn’t there be a way to filter those out on the website?

I’m finding that in order to get an organized backup copy of ALL of my purchased content, I’m having to pick through my order history to figure out which files are missed.  This is NOT saving me any time.  >.<

Posted: 28 March 2013 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9327
Joined  2007-11-06
Netjera - 28 March 2013 12:56 AM

I’m not sure where to mention this, so I’ll ask it here:

If we are 100% SURE that the only products not included in the Daz Install Manager download listing are those exclusive to Bryce and Carrara, Plugins from other parties, and software, (we ARE 100% certain, right?) then shouldn’t there be a way to filter those out on the website?

I’m finding that in order to get an organized backup copy of ALL of my purchased content, I’m having to pick through my order history to figure out which files are missed.  This is NOT saving me any time.  >.<

There are still DS/Poser content items which aren’t in DIM, about 10% of my order history, 90% of the missing ones being older items (SKU’s less than 5000).  I’m seeing a few dozen items added every few days.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 29 April 2013 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  190
Joined  2011-08-08

I’m still using the DIM Beta test version, as I have been unable to update as of yet. Everything was going fine until I tried using it for a certain two very large files. One is the Gatehouse, and the other is Technopolis. The DIM claims that they are installed correctly, but I cannot load anything from either of those product packs into the scene. I get the Missing Files message. The app I am using is DAZ Studio 4.5.0.114.
Extra info:
Technopolis file size = 325.9 MB.
The Gatehouse file size = 539.6 MB.
The above file sizes are the DIM sizes.
I have tried closing DAZ Studio and Opening it several times to see if I could get it to work. It is still not working. I think I will be uninstalling these two files and downloading them the old way. I noted that the older file sizes are smaller for each of them, and if they install correctly into DAZ Studio that way and work correctly, I shall not be using the DIM for large files in the foreseeable future, at least until I can afford the upgraded version of the DIM. Hopefully that will be soon.
The reason I am posting this here is to inform others here about this problem I am having, and to see if others are having this issue also. Let me know either way, and I would appreciate any advice that anyone can provide in this matter. Although it has been more than two weeks since I installed these two products, I shall wait to uninstall until someone can tell me whether that would be wise or not.

Posted: 29 April 2013 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

HI Mage 13X13 smile

I think I will be uninstalling these two files and downloading them the old way.

The (content)  files in the Zip (for DIM) should be the same as the (content) of the files contained in the old installers,.

If there’s any issue with any product you’ve purchased,. then it’s better for everyone if you report that as an issue,./ even if you’re the only one getting that issue.

Simply uninstalling the “problem”, and reverting back to what worked previously, ...doesn’t help you in the longer term once uninstallers are phased out completely,. and it allows a problem to go unresolved,..

Please report this issue through the helpdesk

Unfortunately I don’t have either of those products you mentioned,. but I have installed several products which are over 500mb,. and I’ve installed over 2000 products using DIM.

Dim has no problem with big files or small files,. the file size doesn’t matter,. what does matter is the way that the products have been packaged for the new ZIP / DIM method of downloading and installing.

if something is missing or wrong, then Daz3D need to know about it,.,.. and fix it.

thanks smile

Posted: 29 April 2013 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2005-11-22

Concidering re-installing DAZ files. Will saved scenes still be able to find my characters & stuff in different installed folders?

Posted: 29 April 2013 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-08-08
3DAGE - 29 April 2013 11:08 AM

HI Mage 13X13 smile

The (content)  files in the Zip (for DIM) should be the same as the (content) of the files contained in the old installers,.

If there’s any issue with any product you’ve purchased,. then it’s better for everyone if you report that as an issue,./ even if you’re the only one getting that issue.

I have a request at the Help Desk which unfortunately has gone unanswered for more than two weeks now. Today, I added a comment to the request for the purpose of kick starting it. All the Info that I could think of that would be relevant has been provided. I have no idea what the problem might be.
As the DIM has been quite a useful tool for me, making downloads and installations much easier, I had to wonder about whether it was the problem or not. These are the only two files I have had any problems with. A couple of my friends from the art community I am a member of have the products, and report no problems.
I wonder if during the download, these products could have been corrupted. As they are zips, from what you have indicated, I wonder how that might be corrupted though.
The only other thing I can think of is that something happened during the compression or conversion process. I have modeled a few products myself that for me import into DAZ Studio positioned as I modeled them to do. When a friend tried importing the same product into Poser for the same figure, the position data did not translate to that app. I have no idea why that would occur, since the products import into all of my apps in the correct positions. My point is that after creating the zip file and uploading the product, something was lost. I’m no expert on how such things work, but if it can happen to what I produce, I would imagine it can also happen to what others produce.
At any rate, I have yet to hear back from my request at the Help Desk.

Posted: 29 April 2013 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
Algonquin - 29 April 2013 12:49 PM

Concidering re-installing DAZ files. Will saved scenes still be able to find my characters & stuff in different installed folders?

I’m not sure about Daz Studio content… stuff installed in the previous “My Library” going to the new “My Daz3d Library”. I’m not sure if those newer installers changed anything - as I just don’t have experience with that system.

For Poser Runtime stuff, I’m fairly certain that as long as you use the same Folder Names where you install your runtimes to, and have the runtimes identified by Carrara, you will not have issues. Otherwise, you end up having to locate many of the texture file locations upon loading.

The big thing about runtimes:
Back them up and don’t delete them until after a successful test!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 29 April 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

If you would like a quick run through the process of using the DIM to create runtime folders, check out the Carrara Walkthrough article about the subject wink

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2013 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5939
Joined  2006-08-27

Doesn’t matter if they’re zips or not. File corruption can still happen. My first thought after reading your post is that perhaps you did get a corrupted download. The easiest way to check if the file was corrupted during download, or verify that it may be a bad conversion, would be to delete the downloaded file and try and re-download it. If it works, then great, you can probably feel confident that it was a fluke. If the file behaves the same way, then it’s a good bet that it’s a bad file to begin with, and is stored on the server.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 29 April 2013 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-08-08
evilproducer - 29 April 2013 01:13 PM

Doesn’t matter if they’re zips or not. File corruption can still happen. My first thought after reading your post is that perhaps you did get a corrupted download. The easiest way to check if the file was corrupted during download, or verify that it may be a bad conversion, would be to delete the downloaded file and try and re-download it. If it works, then great, you can probably feel confident that it was a fluke. If the file behaves the same way, then it’s a good bet that it’s a bad file to begin with, and is stored on the server.

So if it is on the server itself, what can be done to fix that? I would think that there are backups for all files at DAZ 3D just for such problems. As I have said, my community friends are having no problems with these products. Of course, one of them has had his copies for several months (since before the release of the DIM Beta version).
As I have recently cleared my cookies and cache, I shall try your suggestion and see if that fixes the problem. If so, I’m good to go. Otherwise, I’ll still be waiting for the Help Desk to respond.

Posted: 29 April 2013 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Joined  2005-11-22

Thanks, for your reply.
I only use DAZ.  I’ve never used “my library” or “my DAZ3d library”, just runtimes.  If I read you right, as long as the characters/textures/items are in the same named folders in the new “my DAZ3d library”  they can still be found by the old scene file?

Posted: 29 April 2013 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

No…
Use new runtimes, but if you had your runtimes in folders with specific names, use those same names for your new ones - even if their actual location (drive, folder, whatever) is different.

Example:

I install ALL of my V4 related products to a V4 folder on my hard drive.
To get my scenes that use anything from that runtime to open again, I would make sure to install all of my content for V4 into a new “V4” folder.

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2013 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Joined  2005-11-22

ah… I think I see.
I’ll test it out on a new drive to be sure before I commit it.
Thank you.

Can the “my DAZ3d library” reside on that same new drive?

Posted: 29 April 2013 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

HI Algonquin smile

The issue is less about which drive you choose to hold your content,. since the CMS will supply the metadata about products to each program that asks for it,.
It’s more important that you tell DS or Carrara, or Poser, where your content is located.

Once your programs know where your content is located,.. then they can load content from wherever that is.

For example :
If you create a scene with V4 loaded from a Runtime, folder,...
then you uninstall that figure,. and install it to a different folder,..

your software will look at the scene (contents) and try to load them, and as long as your software knows that your figure has moved, and where it’s located,. then it’ll be able to find and load the figure.

smile

5 of 7