Digital Art Zone

1 of 7
IMPORTANT - Install Manager Notice - BEST THING EVER (updated)
Posted: 12 February 2013 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5974
Joined  2007-12-04

IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT INSTALL MANAGER
Install Manager, by default, uses a Different Default Installation Directory than the Daz Studio default.
By default, it makes a whole new content directory: “My Daz 3d Library” in the Public User - for Windows

This is actually the best way to do it - it’s a fresh new directory - untouched. That’s perfect because you want to keep DIM installs separate from others, I think, because DIM has the ability to uninstall, should you choose to do so. You do need to know this location, however, so that you can tell Daz Studio that you have a new content directory.cool hmm

Check out the Instructions Here and have a look through all of the cool features it offers.

Here is an Article detailing my experience from before I knew squat about the thing, to having it download and install my entire collection of Daz Products on an otherwise Daz-less laptop!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 12 February 2013 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  0

I noticed that, looks a good idea for nas or lan

Posted: 12 February 2013 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Don’t get me wrong… the DIM is the best freaking thing ever!!! I love it!

Image Attachments
DIMscreenshot.jpg
 Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 12 February 2013 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  751
Joined  2003-10-09
Dartanbeck - 12 February 2013 11:26 AM

Does your comment apply only to DAZ Studio?  I don’t use DS much, so does the DIM do anything for Carrara users?  I can’t see using it since I like all my Poser style runtimes on an external hard drive, linked when used via C8’s browser.

Posted: 12 February 2013 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  157
Joined  2008-05-12

I have yet to work out how to get it to install female clothing to a certain dir, female clothing to another, male stuff etc etc

Posted: 12 February 2013 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
Steve K - 12 February 2013 12:14 PM
Dartanbeck - 12 February 2013 11:26 AM

Does your comment apply only to DAZ Studio?  I don’t use DS much, so does the DIM do anything for Carrara users?  I can’t see using it since I like all my Poser style runtimes on an external hard drive, linked when used via C8’s browser.

CoolArtDude - 12 February 2013 12:59 PM

I have yet to work out how to get it to install female clothing to a certain dir, female clothing to another, male stuff etc etc

Absolutely everybody who has purchased content at Daz3d.com with this one bit of exception:
It doesn’t download or install software
It doesn’t yet see content entirely specific to Carrara or Bryce

All other content… yeah. Allow me to explain in a bit more detail:

CoolArtDude, Many people use Poser Runtime folder structures to sort out their content.
Poser starts off with its own “runtime” folder in its installation directory (Poser > Runtime)
Poser (and even more so, Carrara) accepts multiple runtimes. They did this to help people as their content collections began to get so large that it became nearly impossible to find anything. So… in addition to Poser > Runtime, you can create your own:
V4 > Runtime
M4 > Runtime
Etc.,

This has been the trend now for years. The thoughtful developers at Daz3d had this in mind for the Daz3d Install Manager

When you go to your account at Daz3d.com, you start with a view of 10 download items, but you can expand it to 20 or 50.
You can only view what’s fairly recent. Otherwise you’ll have to access your Itemized History. Again. Start with 10, but you can increase the view to 20 or 50. And the you can “reset” downloads no longer available in your list of downloadable content.

The Daz3d Install Manager shows everything from 0 - 9, then A - Z right off the bat. Everything except software and non-DS plugins or Carrara - Only or Bryce - Only products. Everything else is their - in the one list!

If you leave it in its default behavior, it will download everything to a folder: Public(All Users) Documents > DAZ 3D > Install Manager > Downloads, and will automatically install everything as their downloads complete into: Public(All Users) Documents > My Daz3d Library

That’s the default.

The cool part is that you get to select what to download, whether to install, Where to install to, and whether to keep the installer files after installation. I’m Mr. Back-up… so of course I keep my download files.

So if I’m using it on my Workstation, which still uses the Poser multiple Runtimes approach, I’ll fire up the Install Manager, and open the settings and tell it to install to C\: Daz\: M4 and that I only want to see the Poser installers, and close the settings dialog.
Now I start clicking on products that I want in my M4 runtime! Rinse and repeat for all of my content.

Also very slick: It knows what it installs, so once it’s installed it, it doesn’t show back up in the list unless you put a check in the “Show Hidden” box at the top of the list panel. Sweet!

The “Installed” tab shows all of the content that DIM has installed for you. By glancing your eyes towards this list, you can immediately tell which products work as Smart Content, you can access the Product’s ReadMe file, you can Uninstall the product.

Very, very cool!

Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2013 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  157
Joined  2008-05-12

Which I do, and from what was implied, the DIM installer should be able to put different content different places, without user intervention, What is all the meta files for?

Posted: 13 February 2013 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
CoolArtDude - 13 February 2013 12:53 PM

Which I do, and from what was implied, the DIM installer should be able to put different content different places, without user intervention, What is all the meta files for?

I believe more will be added as it leaves beta and into the actual, official release - but this is only a guess from seing what’s inside the thing.
Go to Applications, and you can verify where stuff is installed. I don’t have Poser installed (nor do I own a current version), mine reads Daz Studio 4 and Daz Studio 3, probably because I used to have older DS on this machine - plus I asked for legacy content to download and install - so it even gave me my licensed version of aniMate, even though DS3 isn’t there… just doing as I asked it to.
I’m not entirely hip to what all it might be able to do - but what I can get it to do is nice.

Problem is that it did it already. Bam! Done! Now it’s just sitting there waiting for me to get more money into my bank account! shock

Dude, I am so sorry for explaining runtimes. I was on no sleep and just read your words wrong! If I’d have realized….
Oh the embarrassment! (been doing that a lot lately  hmmm  )

Signature 

Posted: 14 February 2013 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

I’m glad I don’t have these issues lol wink

Posted: 14 February 2013 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
ManStan - 14 February 2013 07:57 AM

I’m glad I don’t have these issues lol wink

Yup Stan, I’m finally going to test out this whole Smart Content thing. I’m all set up, everything is downloaded and using DS CMS. This is on my laptop.
Aside from DS not knowing where Genesis was, and Me not knowing where DIM installed everything to, which was very quickly answered in very special thanks TO the DIM, everything went so smoothly that I may have to redo my workstation.

I really like my multiple runtime environment, largely because I can then look here for this, and there for that. Like you do.
The Daz Studio organizational system is actually even better than that. I was blind to it, so I never saw it.

First off, it already has specific places to install different stuff - animals to animals, people to people, etc., But even better, on an individual basis, and only if you want to, you can sub categorize stuff within the database… I think… I haven’t gotten that far yet.
So far, I’m a little lost. But that’s understandable whenever you switch to a new bus route.

I definitely look forward to picking this up. The DIM made it really exciting… and then nothing. Because it was all done! No more endless days and nights double-clicking. It’s just done! No special runtimes needed and the DIM now acts as a product home page - all readmes and uninstallers, as well as a complete list, all in one spot on a single page! It’s nice.

Signature 

Posted: 24 February 2013 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2011-01-03

Time to test your cheerleading Dart…

I got force-fed the DAZ Install Manager when I bought Aiko 3.0 a few minutes ago. I was going to avoid this because I was reading that it does not support Carrara.

Well, it is downloading my purchases (kinda nice) but I did not realize that it would also install them. If it doesn’t support Carrara, how does it know my preferred runtime structure?

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 24 February 2013 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-07

Lets step in to the way back machine, back to the last time i was banned, right after studio 4 came out. A certain individual let it slip on another forum about this possible cloud system. DAZstore-your purchase-auto download and install-update smart content. We argued about this automated system quite some time back.

Taa Daa long face

Anything more I can think to say about it would just mean a pulled post.

Straight up. If I can’t download a zip, I ain’t buying it.

Posted: 24 February 2013 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2011-01-03
ManStan - 24 February 2013 04:19 PM

Straight up. If I can’t download a zip, I ain’t buying it.

Indeed…I’m not yet sure if I’ll join that peaceful protest of yours but…

NOTE TO DAZ DEVELOPERS: Hey, thanks for asking me during installation what my preferences were… For the record; “C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library” is not a good location for this machine…

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 24 February 2013 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1818
Joined  2004-08-24

HI Garstor smile

Dim can download and installe products automatically (if you use that option)
it can also just Download them, then you can select the products,. and the folder where you want those products installed,. then it’ll install the selectied files, into whatever folder you specify.#

by default, it’s set to the new ( C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library )

you can obviously change that to whatever folder you want, bearing in mind that it’s not a great idea to install products into a runtime where you already have products,. since DIM cannot install / uninstall content which it hasn’t installed.
that’s why a start over with a fresh install location is recommended.

As far as support for Carrara,.Bryce and other software,.. that will happen, but right now it only handles “content” which actually means that it works with all software which uses content. ..including Carrara.

Right now it doesn’t download or install carrara specific content,. but it will…. and more.

EG: If you had Carrara, and nothing else,. you could use DIM to create a runtime within carrara, or anywhere else,.  and install your content there. that includes external drives.

If you want to have a Customise set of folders to install male clothing , or dresses , or whatever,. then that’s your choice,.
You can set up your folders,. Download the products, and then select and install them to wherever you want to.

Meta data is used by the database to update the view of content in the “Smart content” section of the browser in both DS and Carrara, It also tells the database which products work with which products,..

EG: If you load an item of clothing,. then select it,. the Smart Content display will change to show you all the materials which work with that product,. even if you have several materials from different developers,.  so you don’t need to search through several different folders of materials for that product,. all materials are shown in one screen in the smart content.

As for setting up an automatic way of DIM identifying whether products are male or female and installing them automatically into a pre-defined folder,..
I’m not sure that’s possible, especially where genesis is concerned where the same base figure is Male / female / animal / monster etc..

There’s no issues in setting up a set of folders for V3 or M4,.. and then installing specific content using DIM into those folders.

Hope that makes sense smile

Posted: 24 February 2013 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1818
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Stan smile

ALL of the files in the store have been replaced with ZIP as the default,.

That’s what DIM actually downloads. they’re all zips,.
You can choose to extract those ZIP files manually,.. into whatever folder you want,. but that won’t update the smart content database with that item,  then DIM won;t show you updates for it,.. and it won’t be un-installable with DIM if you didn’t use DIM to install it in the first place.

Garstor,..smile

The User / public folder shouldn’t cause any issue for you.
it’s now the default for Poser, and Daz content
Autodesk and other apps are also defaulting to this location for files.

Posted: 24 February 2013 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-07

Nope not going to stick my finger in that mouse trap to see if it works wink

I was looking at the store today. Hadn’t shopped in a while and the store flagged me about a stonemason sale.  So I did some checking, shopped a bit, and I’ve hit upon another instance where I can’t think of anything to say that wouldn’t get the post pulled.

1 of 7