3 of 23
Still waiting
Posted: 16 February 2013 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1387
Joined  2011-01-03
holly wetcircuit - 16 February 2013 03:41 PM

There is no Carrara development team on payroll right now. We have no Carrara manager that I know of…

Statements like this have been made repeatedly - near as I can tell, they are always speculation. Did I miss an announcement from DAZ that revealed their payroll roster?

I think the likely scenario is that there is a small group of devs that have to divide their time between advancing the products (clearly the bulk of the time here has been D|S and Genesis) and supporting their internal I.T. stuff (i.e. these forums). As such, Carrara just doesn’t get the love we wish it did.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 16 February 2013 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
Garstor - 16 February 2013 04:12 PM
holly wetcircuit - 16 February 2013 03:41 PM

There is no Carrara development team on payroll right now. We have no Carrara manager that I know of…

Statements like this have been made repeatedly - near as I can tell, they are always speculation. Did I miss an announcement from DAZ that revealed their payroll roster?

I think the likely scenario is that there is a small group of devs that have to divide their time between advancing the products (clearly the bulk of the time here has been D|S and Genesis) and supporting their internal I.T. stuff (i.e. these forums). As such, Carrara just doesn’t get the love we wish it did.

Sorry, I meant to say DEDICATED developers… As in, people hired just for Carrara, project managers for Carrara, etc.

Payroll or not, can you name anyone who *IS* the Carrara project manager?

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 16 February 2013 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  492
Joined  2003-10-09

The biggest positive sign lately is that Carrara 8 Pro is showcased in their Top 10 sold in January.

Image Attachments
TopTenOfJanuary2013.jpg

Posted: 16 February 2013 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
holly wetcircuit - 16 February 2013 04:23 PM

Sorry, I meant to say DEDICATED developers… As in, people hired just for Carrara, project managers for Carrara, etc.

Payroll or not, can you name anyone who *IS* the Carrara project manager?

Now we’re talking! Sure, DAZ isn’t Microsoft when it comes to development. Heck, even a team of one person wouldn’t be bad…

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

Posted: 16 February 2013 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2008-12-02

Its always an interesting game with Daz and Carrara . We never know for sure whats going to happen. You know if there was no Genesis——-I wonder if we would have seen more pure Carrara improvements or not. With a Genesis—they seemed compelled to make it work well for Carrara and so it dragged out everything.
                        Hopefully we hear something soon and hopefully its good. I also am having doubts about a 8.5—I think its going to be 9 next——genesis and some other goodies. Just my guess. I know nothing.

Signature 

Rich

Favorite items   Cararra   - Modo -    Animation Master-    Houdini

Posted: 16 February 2013 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

*self edited…*

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2013 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6132
Joined  2007-12-04

Kinda cool though, isn’t it? Daz3d is very much unmatched in making the best versatile, morphable doll-type figures anywhere…
And Genesis just blows away what they’ve done before - and Gen 4 is still better than what anyone else has come up with.*
*Disclaimer - talking, of course, about the vast marketplace - not individual or in-house use only projects

Image Attachments
bg_genesis_lineup_01.jpg
 Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 16 February 2013 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2013-02-16

Dartanbeck—At least the last few builds of the beta give us an excellent 3d authoring suite.
I’m lovin’ it

well sir,  your attitude is certainly a welcome breath of fresh air for a new carrara user.

I wish you could channel this over to the beginning daz members.  Are they in fact ” loving”
that software,  or would they be much happier here!?

Posted: 16 February 2013 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Well, and then there’s our very own Toons collection from 3D Universe

Image Attachments
jasmin-for-genesis-bundle-large.jpg
 Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 16 February 2013 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
carfor - 16 February 2013 04:46 PM

Dartanbeck—At least the last few builds of the beta give us an excellent 3d authoring suite.
I’m lovin’ it

well sir,  your attitude is certainly a welcome breath of fresh air for a new carrara user.

I wish you could channel this over to the beginning daz members.  Are they in fact ” loving”

LOL!

I think Carrara is the easiest to learn 3D suite…. Maybe because it is the one I learned on…

I would still like to quite my job(s) and just make fun beginner tutorials for Carrara all day… That’s why I started my Carrara site, but you know… time… life… etc…

Dartanbeck for Club Leader!!!

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2013 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
holly wetcircuit - 16 February 2013 04:52 PM

I would still like to quite my job(s) and just make fun beginner tutorials for Carrara all day… That’s why I started my Carrara site, but you know… time… life… etc…

Dartanbeck for Club Leader!!!

I hear ya! I dream of this constantly.

Microsoft has its MVP (Most Valuable Professional) Program—people are community nominated and then evaluated by Microsoft for the award. Most products have their family of respected MVPs. Without a doubt, Dartanbeck would be an MVP for Carrara.

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 16 February 2013 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
carfor - 16 February 2013 04:46 PM

I’m lovin’ it

Man, I guess the Software Bundle offer is over, huh. Bryce and Hex aren’t FREE anymore, but they sure are affordable.
Have you tried Daz Studio 4.5 Pro?
(I take it that’s what you’re referring to?)
I feel all warm and fuzzy about that one too. Here’s the thing. If I didn’t (or couldn’t) have Carrara Pro, I’d be loving the Daz3d Professional Artist and Developer Software Suite. I’d use the threesome as my Carrara. Use the bridges to cruize between them - using whichever as the app of choice for what I was working on. The big drawback for me, as far as I can tell right now, would be the lack of Carrara’s Renders.
DS and Bryce have both proven their worth in that department - no worries on that end… but I love Carrara’s Ray Tracing speed. I have yet to try out Bryce, but after a few short conversations with David Brinnen and I’m on track to get into it and finally check it out.
Personally, I believe Daz3d to have the sweet lineup of choice 3d Art software right now. They have a huge right to be proud!

Daz3d Professional Artist and Developer Software Suite
              Bryce 7 Pro              Daz Studio 4.5 Pro              Hexagon 2.5

Check out the New Daz3d Install Manager - It Totally R O C K S !
Daz Forums Software Discussion Field Trip

See the Daz3d Carrara 8 Promo Reel

Cripeman’s dedication to Frank Frazetta
Where he links to a feature-length special on the artist himself:
Frank Frazetta - Painting with Fire

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2013 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

And then Daz3d Store also has this super-crazy awesome editing software as well:

Project Dogwaffle
PD Pro Howler is fast digital painting and animation software created by an artist for hobbyists and professionals alike.
This link takes you to a thread I began while considering to add this software to my work flow. Within the thread are many links to tutorials and plugins for the software - as well as the Purchase Page at Daz3d and to the PD Official Site.

MAIN FEATURES
* Paint features * Animation features * Filters and Special FX
Many Available Plugins and Tutorials
Direct Focus Toward the Creation and Editing of Animated Scenes

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2013 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2013-02-16

Man, I guess the Software Bundle offer is over, huh. Bryce and Hex aren’t FREE anymore, but they sure are affordable.

well,  yes, Daz Studio 4—-  I didnt get too deep into it.  I was never crazy about the interface,  but beyond that I knew it was starter
software,  and I wouldn’t be able to grow too far with it.

I used to own Bryce way back when.  Fun stuff!  The problem is it always looked like a “Bryce” render.  Whereas Terragen and
Vue I think are more realistic.  I gather Bryce may be on the “death march” as well ? - lol

Posted: 16 February 2013 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  492
Joined  2003-10-09
carfor - 16 February 2013 05:15 PM

well,  yes, Daz Studio 4—-  I didnt get too deep into it.  I was never crazy about the interface,  but beyond that I knew it was starter
software,  and I wouldn’t be able to grow too far with it.

I used to own Bryce way back when.  Fun stuff!  The problem is it always looked like a “Bryce” render.  Whereas Terragen and
Vue I think are more realistic.  I gather Bryce may be on the “death march” as well ? - lol

Bryce was rumored dead for the longest time and there was much gnashing of teeth, wailing and tearing of clothes.. and then DAZ surprised everyone with a new version and features.

Lesson to be learned? DAZ only reveals info and new software/products when they can. They don’t tease forever and “DAZ soon” is long gone… maybe another reason we never hear anything. Everyone always complained about “DAZ soon”... maybe the new management took that to heart. See what happens when you complain - unintended consequences ... like not getting any news.

There was another thread recently where I posted a link to a blog or whatever where it was pointed out that Carrara has been thought to be dead or dying ever since it came out! Must be the mindset of some Carrara fans.

3 of 23