Digital Art Zone

2 of 5
My Very First Character / Render Attempt
Posted: 11 February 2013 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6946
Joined  2012-09-10

And is collision equivalent to the amount of area that the two surfaces touch? So a low amount of collision would be less contact?

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
The Art Studio: Thread #4   Product Discussions
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 11 February 2013 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1390
Joined  2011-11-16

Not quite. The lower the collision iteration, the more the meshes will pass through one another, and, thus, the more “poke-through”.

Posted: 11 February 2013 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

I got it down to 12 in the smoothing iterations, when I went lower, some of the strands were acting weird. Could probably take it down to 10 or so. Not seeing much difference when I did.

Image Attachments
kaetlH.jpg
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 11 February 2013 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16
Novica - 11 February 2013 06:38 AM

I got it down to 12 in the smoothing iterations, when I went lower, some of the strands were acting weird. Could probably take it down to 10 or so. Not seeing much difference when I did.

Looks good to me.

Posted: 11 February 2013 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10
Tramp Graphics - 11 February 2013 06:41 AM
Novica - 11 February 2013 06:38 AM

Looks good to me.

Thank you!
So is 16 a high or a low number for the collision iterations? I havent a clue what I’m doing.

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 11 February 2013 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

Tramp Graphics- appreciate you very much, just wanted to repeat that.  This hasn’t been the most fun for a first render, but having you help has made all the difference in throwing in the towel or trying to get it solved. And I’m thinking this will help a lot of other newbies.
Cathie

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 11 February 2013 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

It’s moderate. The base line minimum is typically 3. On occasion, I’ve gone as high as 100 collision iterations.

Posted: 11 February 2013 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

How can you tell what the collision iterations are doing when you change the slider? I’m not seeing anything. Also, is there supposed to be a huge lag between the times you move the slider, is that normal? )Or could it be my computer, or Studio getting ready to crash on me again?

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 11 February 2013 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

I typically don’t use the slider. I type in the number I want. I could,t tell you about the lag time. Could be using too much RAM.

Posted: 11 February 2013 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

Thanks so much. Signing off for now, trying to figure out hair morphs but am exhausted. I found them but not sure what all the abbreviations are, and I have a LOT of lag. I did move her bangs over to the left (as you look at it)  and shortened them. This is a fun hairstyle! (Pyrit hair, for anyone who is interested.) Lots of color choices and morphs.

Cathie

Image Attachments
kaetlJ.jpg
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 11 February 2013 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3520
Joined  2012-02-06

Hi Novica, I like the look of your character!

The lag you are experiencing is probably due to the smoothing modifier…it means the computer has to make lots of calculations every time you change something. Some people like to turn smoothing off until the scene is ready to render…obviously that’s probably not the best option in this particular example since smoothing seems to be essential to what you’re trying to get the hair to do. But do take a look at that link that kitakoredaz posted…itmight be a way to solve your problem without using the smoothing modifier so much.

In case you haven’t seen it, I thought I’d provide a link to my tutorial on hair: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/5646/ There’s a surprising amount of stuff to learn when it comes to hair…the tutorial doesn’t cover everything, but I hope you find it useful. I certainly learned a lot just in the process of putting it together.

Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 11 February 2013 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1344
Joined  0

OMG Novica, I love your character!!!  Who is it…she looks like Ashley Judd smile)

Signature 

“If you get a chance….Take it!  If it changes your life….Let it!.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.”

Posted: 11 February 2013 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

Thank you smile  I made changes, turned her in all directions, more slider work, turned her, more slider, turned her…for several hours- and that was just the face. It was because it was so much FUN!  I didnt want a drop dead gorgeous model, I tried for a pretty gal.  She looks good from all angles.  Haven’t started really messing with the hair morphs yet.  Just got a couple strands out of the eyes.

I just got up at 2pm (six hours of sleep) so I can pour over this thread. I do have one thing that I found- this was on the right side of the page, not left- that’s why I couldn’t find it when it was mentioned. (Not complaining, really appreciate the help.) Thought I would show that so other newbies would know.

Another thing (can you tell training was my profession?) to remember, that little box up there changes, depending on what is selected. If you have Scene, it gives you different options than if Parameters is selected.  I know, common sense would tell you that, but not necessarily for noobs.

Will check out the videos and tutorials now.
(In this view, the smoothing iterations and the collision are both on 9)

Image Attachments
kaetlK.jpg
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 11 February 2013 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

Thought I would also share this- the model I used is below. I’m using Genesis.  Here ya go:  (love her!)
http://www.daz3d.com/caitlyn-for-victoria-42-genesis

A few adjustments but not many.  The shirt can be had for $1.99 and is Casual 1950 For Genesis Female. Here’s a closeup of my figure wearing it. You can also compare her more easily to Caitlyn, in a front view. 

Love the texture.  I also like that it shows a lot of skin, but is definitely family friendly. Can’t go wrong for 1.99. (If you’re new and haven’t joined the Platinum Club, consider doing so. You’ll easily save the initial cost of signing up (if it’s still what, $30?) in what you save on items. You can do the monthly and stock up, and quit at any time. Ok, off my soapbox.)

http://www.daz3d.com/casual-1950-for-genesis-female

Image Attachments
kaetlL.jpgkaetlM.jpgkaetlN.jpg
 Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 11 February 2013 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1344
Joined  0

Added Caitlyn to my wishlist smile  holding back on shopping till march madness, still need to install all my products with DIM.

That was good info on the smoothing modifier, haven’t used it so when I need to I will at least know where it is

Signature 

“If you get a chance….Take it!  If it changes your life….Let it!.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.”

2 of 5