Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
High School Students Learn Carrara
Posted: 09 February 2013 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  0

Hello everyone,

I have been hired to teach Carrara at Shaw High School for the 2nd year. The 1st project was so successful the superintendent of the school system called us back. The students all 11th graders. Our project this time is to build Shaw a home.
Last year I was the main modeler/compositor/animator. My composer created the score along with the school band. The kids wrote the script, did the research, did some photoshop work, video, and still photography. They also scheduled all the shoot times and models. It was a fast and furious 3 months.

This time I have 6 months. We will focus on modeling, lighting, texturing, and animation. My composer will create the score. I will be the primary animator. Just to get the kids up beat I created a 1min animation of Shaw Cardinal. Like last year, we will focus on team work.

Daz has been a great help by donating Carrara 8 to the school. (very Cool ) So far the kids are crazy about Carrara. They are amazed at how fast they can create really cool stuff. Bare in mind, none of them had ever touched a 3D app before this class.

I will keep you guys in the loop as we progress toward Shaw Cardinals new home. Presently we are working on the basics of modeling and texturing. I have been teaching 2 weeks to date.

Shaw needs a home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Pm1WhLZLQ

The Mighty Cardinal ( last years project)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-UUJebBYZ8

Image Attachments
Hi-1a.jpgHi-1b.jpgHi-2.jpgHi-4b.jpgHi-5.jpg

Posted: 09 February 2013 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4727
Joined  2004-07-01
MSolomon - 09 February 2013 06:36 PM

Hello everyone,

I have been hired to teach Carrara at Shaw High School for the 2nd year. The 1st project was so successful the superintendent of the school system called us back. The students all 11th graders. Our project this time is to build Shaw a home.
Last year I was the main modeler/compositor/animator. My composer created the score along with the school band. The kids wrote the script, did the research, did some photoshop work, video, and still photography. They also scheduled all the shoot times and models. It was a fast and furious 3 months.

This time I have 6 months. We will focus on modeling, lighting, texturing, and animation. My composer will create the score. I will be the primary animator. Just to get the kids up beat I created a 1min animation of Shaw Cardinal. Like last year, we will focus on team work.

Daz has been a great help by donating Carrara 8 to the school. (very Cool ) So far the kids are crazy about Carrara. They are amazed at how fast they can create really cool stuff. Bare in mind, none of them had ever touched a 3D app before this class.

I will keep you guys in the loop as we progress toward Shaw Cardinals new home. Presently we are working on the basics of modeling and texturing. I have been teaching 2 weeks to date.

Shaw needs a home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Pm1WhLZLQ

The Mighty Cardinal ( last years project)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-UUJebBYZ8

good luck to all !

Posted: 09 February 2013 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  0

Thanks Bigh,

So far so good.

Posted: 09 February 2013 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2006-02-03

Outstanding!

I’ve seen your work and positive attitude.  This goes a long way in teaching students.  Best of luck and keep in touch, we all want to hear how this class progresses.

Posted: 09 February 2013 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1387
Joined  2011-01-03

That is very cool. I’m looking forward to updates to this thread.

Back in the day, my final math class in college was “Math For Computer Graphics.” We barely scratched the surface of the topic but it definitely piqued my interest.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 09 February 2013 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  0
Design Acrobat - 09 February 2013 07:34 PM

Outstanding!

I’ve seen your work and positive attitude.  This goes a long way in teaching students.  Best of luck and keep in touch, we all want to hear how this class progresses.

Thanks Design Acrobat,
Needless to say, they have their moments of chaos but we are having a lot of fun. I will post some student work this week.

Posted: 10 February 2013 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2010-06-09

Best of luck. Your positive enthusiasm will inspire the kids.

Posted: 10 February 2013 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6137
Joined  2007-12-04

Man… I love this! What a great thing.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 10 February 2013 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7864
Joined  2009-05-14

So subscribed to this thread…about time we had a feel good thread around here.

londonmarlo nevermind the students hell I am getting inspired. smile

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 10 February 2013 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  0
londonmarlo - 10 February 2013 12:49 AM

Best of luck. Your positive enthusiasm will inspire the kids.

Thanks, so far it seems to be working.

Posted: 10 February 2013 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  0
Dartanbeck - 10 February 2013 01:45 AM

Man… I love this! What a great thing.

It’s a lot of fun with occasional moments of teen age confusion.

Posted: 10 February 2013 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  0
Szark - 10 February 2013 08:10 AM

So subscribed to this thread…about time we had a feel good thread around here.

londonmarlo nevermind the students hell I am getting inspired. smile

LOL, thanks Szark.

Subscribing to this thread would be a good idea. I plan on adding to it as the project progresses. Infact, I think this thread would be a good candidate for a sticky? How does that work?

Posted: 10 February 2013 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7864
Joined  2009-05-14

To get a thread stickied or is that stuckied humm, is to ask one of the Forum Mods..some mods will see this and probably respond explaining what and can be stickied better than I.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 10 February 2013 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15757
Joined  2003-10-09

Actually we have a debate about it, as some people don’t like too many stickies at the top of forums.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 10 February 2013 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6137
Joined  2007-12-04

We put a link to this thread in the already “Stickied” Carrara info thread. It’ll be incorporated into a “Community Favorite Threads” page, which will make it easier to find using the Table of Contents at the beginning.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 10 February 2013 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2009-06-30

This is so cool! 
My son’s high school (Robinson in Little Rock, Arkansas) offers EAST Initiative, where students use technology, including computer graphics, to work on various service projects.  He is in his second year with the class & has been working with SoftImage all that time & loves it.  He’s probably better with SoftImage than I am with either Cararra 8 or Daz3Advanced, in fact.  Her certainly had a better learning curve.
I would love to hear more about how you got your class set up with Carrara, so I can suggest it to the EAST facilitator.

1 of 2