Digital Art Zone

3 of 6
The Mac FAQ
Posted: 15 August 2013 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-08-15

I’m struggling with the 32- and 64-bit thing. I have an older Mac, 2009, running Snow Leopard (10.6). While Snow Leopard is 64-bit capable, I don’t believe I ever enabled it. For example, my system report says:
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

However, I know it’s 64-bit capable, I installed the 64-bit DAZ Studio and it launched.

So my question is, should I uninstall and re-install using the 32-bit installer.

Thanks.

Posted: 15 August 2013 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Joined  2013-08-15

User Accounts

If I intend to use DAZ Studio 4 within 2 different (Mac) user accounts, do I need to do anything different when I install. Does it matter which account installs (or installs first)?

Just so you know, I tried this and I found the [user name]/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library to be different for the 2 different accounts.

Thanks.

Posted: 15 August 2013 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8532
Joined  2007-11-06
tmconnolly88 - 15 August 2013 08:28 PM

User Accounts

If I intend to use DAZ Studio 4 within 2 different (Mac) user accounts, do I need to do anything different when I install. Does it matter which account installs (or installs first)?

Just so you know, I tried this and I found the [user name]/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library to be different for the 2 different accounts.

Thanks.

If you’re using it with 2 different user accounts, it would be better to install the content to Shared.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 15 August 2013 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2013-08-15
fixmypcmike - 15 August 2013 08:30 PM

User Accounts

Thanks.

If you’re using it with 2 different user accounts, it would be better to install the content to Shared.

Thanks, but I realize my question wasn’t clear enough, and that I actually have 2/3 questions.
1. If using DAZ Studio 4 with 2 user accounts, do I need to do anything (besides the defaults) when I install the program (DAZ Studio 4)?
1B. Does it matter whether I use the standalone installers or the Installer Manager?

2. I haven’t gotten content installed yet, but my second question is, Can you be more specific about “install content to shared?” Yes, I see that a folder was created in Users/Shared. But is there anything more significant than pointing to that during content install?

Thanks so much for your reply.

Posted: 15 August 2013 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
tmconnolly88 - 15 August 2013 08:48 PM

User Accounts

Thanks.

Thanks, but I realize my question wasn’t clear enough, and that I actually have 2/3 questions.
1. If using DAZ Studio 4 with 2 user accounts, do I need to do anything (besides the defaults) when I install the program (DAZ Studio 4)?
1B. Does it matter whether I use the standalone installers or the Installer Manager?

2. I haven’t gotten content installed yet, but my second question is, Can you be more specific about “install content to shared?” Yes, I see that a folder was created in Users/Shared. But is there anything more significant than pointing to that during content install?

1. I don’t know if Mac defaults to applications being available to all users—if it does, then there’s nothing else you need to do when installing.

1B. Should be the same whether you use standalone or Install Manager.

2. No, all that you need to do is use the location in Shared for content—if it’s a fresh install of DS (that is, you haven’t had DS installed on this computer before), then it will by default map two locations:  one in the particular user’s documents, and one in Shared.  If everything is going to be shared, I would remove the non-shared one.  The default for DIM (DAZ3D Install Manager) is to install content to Shared.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 15 August 2013 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5498
Joined  2005-08-29
tmconnolly88 - 15 August 2013 08:48 PM

User Accounts

Thanks.

Aside from what Mike has said:
(1a) Applications in /Applications are accessible by all users.

(1b) No, but when using standalone installers, think twice what default path they want to install to, you will most likely change that.

(2) If you plan to have “a lot of content”, I would recommend installing all content to a separate disc, but other that that, as long as you have diskspace, just create a “My Librray’ folder in Shared and install to that (but you can use whatever name you like.

And for your 64/32 bit question, 64 bit is the way to go. SL (10.6) has full support for user space applications running 64 bit.
32-bit is like installing an old VW beetle engine in your ford explorer wink

Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 30 September 2013 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-12-22

I’ve tried everything and I can’t get the Content Panel to even show when Daz opens.This is what I get when Daz opens any suggestions? should i just erase all the daz info on my computer and re install? I didn’t have this problem prior to installing Daz 4.6 pro. My system is Mac 10.6.8. Thanks!

Posted: 01 October 2013 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29
jearl07 - 30 September 2013 05:37 PM

I’ve tried everything and I can’t get the Content Panel to even show when Daz opens.This is what I get when Daz opens any suggestions? should i just erase all the daz info on my computer and re install? I didn’t have this problem prior to installing Daz 4.6 pro. My system is Mac 10.6.8. Thanks!

First, do you mean Smart Content or Content Library, and when you say show, do you mean be visible or show any content?

Signature 

Community Volunteer

I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 23 October 2013 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2012-02-05

Anyone tried DAZ 4.6 (and Carrara 8.5) on OSX 10.9 Mavericks?

Posted: 23 October 2013 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  255
Joined  2003-10-09

DS 4.6 runs fine on Mavericks. There are no problems at all.

Posted: 23 October 2013 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29
tlight23 - 23 October 2013 12:16 AM

Anyone tried DAZ 4.6 (and Carrara 8.5) on OSX 10.9 Mavericks?

I’ve run both DAZ Studio 4.6 and Carrara 8.5 on it. Carrara seems to benefit a lot from the updated ATI Video drivers that come with 10.9.
Seen one “interface glitch” that I’m trying to reproduce so I can bugreport it in Carrara, a screen refresh after a open dialog that fails, but might not be related to 10.9 at all.

Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 26 October 2013 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2012-02-05

Thank you for the answers. I´m on OSX 10.9 Mavericks now and two renders I did before and after upgrade show a speed-up about 10% grin

Posted: 26 October 2013 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-29
tlight23 - 26 October 2013 02:52 AM

Thank you for the answers. I´m on OSX 10.9 Mavericks now and two renders I did before and after upgrade show a speed-up about 10% grin

Yes, sounds reasonable. Specially if you are on a low memory machine, then memory compression really helps.

Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 07 November 2013 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2004-03-08

I’ve been struggling most the afternoon trying to get things to work right. I have the Genesis folders created (and showing up in Poser), but when I try to use Victoria 5, 6 or any of the Genesis figures it gives me the following error (see attached)

Now I’ve installed DSON in the poser directory where it said to but I’m not having any luck. Help?  Someone?

Image Attachments
Screen_Shot_2013-11-07_at_7.24_.56_PM_.png

Posted: 07 November 2013 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
Iret - 07 November 2013 06:26 PM

I’ve been struggling most the afternoon trying to get things to work right. I have the Genesis folders created (and showing up in Poser), but when I try to use Victoria 5, 6 or any of the Genesis figures it gives me the following error (see attached)

Now I’ve installed DSON in the poser directory where it said to but I’m not having any luck. Help?  Someone?

If you’re using P9/PP2012, do you have SR3.1 installed?

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

3 of 6