Digital Art Zone

7 of 12
The Music Video Thread II :
Posted: 28 July 2012 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2004-06-12

@Jaderail
Just in case, I want to point out that this thread is for whatever you want to post, it doesn’t have to be related to stuff others posts here.  It’s just a general music video thread where you are free to post whatever you like, or you feel others might like.

@Ascania
That song reminded me of a video I found, “The Bicycle Strip”.  I only watched it because it was shot on the same camera I have, and with the same lens I’m currently saving for, although the thumbnail helped to force my mouse over it and click on it.  I couldn’t help it, it was like one of those ouija boards moving my hand to select it.

I should also point out that it’s NSFW:
http://vimeo.com/18678969

@Kettu
Didn’t like Magica, they’re just another Nightwish to my ears.  There’s clearly talent there, but it’s not compatible with the harmonic and melodic sensors in my ears.  It hits my eardrums and bounces off again rather than being absorbed as anything catchy.  Palava just bored me as well.  Has to be catchy or unusual for me to like it.

Oh, and Lizzy Borden appears to be right nutter (which can be a good thing)!

As for Spice and Wolf, the title of the last episode I’ve seen so far was “Wolf and Her Helpless Partner” although I think it should have been called “You two, get a room”.  Will probably watch episode 5 tonight.  Perhaps “girly” wasn’t the right term for it but it’s still girly compared to stuff like Ghost in the Shell.

Regards Boney M, yes indeed, there’s definitely some serious talent going on with their recordings.  I once tried to look up who did the compression work but hit a brick wall and couldn’t find out.  I found names but no definite clue as to who did what because a few engineers have worked on their stuff, often more than one engineered a single track.  Whoever it was working the compressor, I was hoping they’d wrote a book on the subject because I’ve never heard such perfectly crafted compression, like I said, on any other tracks by any other band.  It pumps transparently yet powerfully, and the amazing thing is, the compressor even seems to ‘dance’ if that makes any sense.  I think whoever did that (especially on the Ma Baker track) is an absolute craftsman with the compressor!

Regards Russia, yes, yes indeed, Russia is respected for it’s achievements as well, of course it is.  I was just dwelling on the negatives when I wrote that.  But yup, Russia is known for opera, musicians, ballet, and of course athletes.  Your opinion on England is only slightly off I think.  The only problems I ever hear of are between Ireland and the UK, there is generally no other rifts, certainly not with Scotland or Wales, not that I know of.  We don’t have armed men patrolling the borders between England/Scotland or England/Wales - we just go where we like, and so do they, never a problem.  The only real rift was over Northern Ireland and even that seems to be on level ground the last time I heard anything.  As for the English being secretive, yes, your’re right, we are, and that’s a direct result of the way we are treated as citizens.  There is just sooooooooo much red tape in England that it’s become a constant pressure to live here.  This country is perfectly rigged by solicitors for solicitors.  The government have no control over anything, and whatever they do flex their muscles over is always something that puts even more stress on it’s citizens and shoves them further still into that secrecy you observe.

Personally, I prefer to be outspoken, I’m not a typical Englishman.

Farscape, yup, I thought you might like that.  I noticed that Farscape seemed to be structured differently to other series of the genre in that it played more like a film rather than have a radically different topic for each episode.  Been a while since they showed it here but I would definitely watch it again if they do.

Regards Alien 3, I thought it was an ok film.  The problem is that Dance really does steal the show with that acting thing he does, but he’s only in the first half.  There’s a daunting seriousness about the first half, but later it all goes back to being as false and ridiculous as the second movie was.  If you ever see the movie you’ll understand what I mean.  One other thing to be careful of is that you never pick up a British copy that has been censored by the a-holes at the BBFC.  I was absolutely furious when I found a clip on YouTube showing one of the clips the BBFC decided us adults can’t handle.  Don’t you just love censorship, adults telling other adults what they can and can’t watch.  Thank god for the internet then, it means the BBFC bullshit is doomed.

Try not to drink anything when you watch this banned clip (no really):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN6mfc0fFIY

Posted: 28 July 2012 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

I forgot to say that I suspect the Boney compressor genius might be Frank Farian who also worked with a band called “Eruption”.

Here’s a catchy track from Eruption, very Boney M (again produced by Farian):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_jUtiKSf1Y

Posted: 28 July 2012 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

Just had another look into this, but no luck again, and here’s why I’m finding it impossible to find out who did the compression.

Often when it’s pointed out that a track was produced by Frank Farian, it resembles “The Farian Crew”, and that’s at least nine people judging by this photo.  Any one of those could have been responsible for the compressor work, certainly doesn’t make finding out about it easy, even with the internet.  One of the reasons I want to know so bad isn’t just because of the technique, but also which model of compressor was used.  If I knew I’d be on eBay for one, no messing.

Now then dudes, time to fess-up, which one of you is the compressor wizard, eh?

Image Attachments
FF.jpg

Posted: 28 July 2012 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12
Mustakettu85 - 27 July 2012 09:48 AM

[And fake diamonds, you mean this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_zirconia

I knew I’d forgotten to answer something.  All I remember was a program the BBC (I think) made some years back, it was an hour-long documentary (Horizon or something like that), and they discovered that the Russians were making diamonds by compressing sand (I think it was sand) using insanely powerful presses which mimic the effect of them being created under the sort of pressure they are naturally created under over time in nature.

They took it to an expert at De Beers in London to have him check out the purity, but at the time, they were unable to fool him, and the reason was that the process always left a tell-tale fracture inside the diamond.  The last I heard was that they need only to perfect it and it would effectively be a real diamond.  That was a long time ago though, so for all I know, by now you Russkies are probably knocking-out diamonds like there’s no tomorrow.

Posted: 28 July 2012 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  271
Joined  2005-08-20

And now, to purge any thought of Boney M from our collective minds: http://youtu.be/BQAKRw6mToA

Signature 

*Sigh* Window->Tabs->Tool Settings->Draw Style->Manipulation: Off
Yeah. It’s like that.

Posted: 28 July 2012 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

You only posted that wondering if I knew whether Frank Farian was involved, which he was, I still didn’t like it though.

Here’s one for you, just listen to the music but try not to look at the screen.  I hear women burn-up with envy when they see how beautiful Nastassja is - although I can’t say I blame them - she is one of the hottest retro babes alive.  Yes, those are real eyebrows and real lips, no silicone.  Anyway, the music is an analogue lovers dream from the Italian, Giorgio Moroder.  The pics of Nastassja are there because she was in the film, Cat People, for which the music was written.

Nastassja wins on an enjoyment level over the music, but dammit, only just:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKIULQE2zyo

Image Attachments
NK.jpg

Posted: 28 July 2012 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

Some more Moroder from the same film, again, in beautiful analogue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9LwPrCmF1s

Image Attachments
GM.jpg

Posted: 28 July 2012 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-08-20

With that father of hers you wouldn’t have thought it.

Signature 

Yeah. It’s like that.

Posted: 28 July 2012 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

That’s a fair point - lol

Still, I never saw what her mother looked like, maybe ‘beauty and the beast’ genetics play a part in either producing something extra stunning or extra ugly.  Klaus was a good actor though, I really liked that vampire movie he made, a remake of the classic Nosferatu called “Nosferatu the Vampire” (first Screenshot) - it’s way ahead of all that Hollywood crap.  It was the exact opposite to other vampire movies in that it was very un-far-fetched.  It had a seriousness to it that the others lack, none of that Hollywood mentality whatsoever.  And that reminds me, he made a sequel called “Nosferatu in Venice” that I’ve yet to see (second screen shot).

Image Attachments
NTV.jpg
NIV.jpg

Posted: 28 July 2012 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-08-20

and it was a poor copy of the original

Signature 

Yeah. It’s like that.

Posted: 28 July 2012 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

Can’t for the life of me imagine why you say that, I mean it wasn’t the same sort of thing as the original, but it “stood out” just like the original did.  It’s quite a few years since I saw it and I’ve only seen it once, yet despite that, it’s feel and atmosphere is still pretty clear in my mind.  I’m just pissed off it’s taking them so long to release it on Blu-ray.  Been going to get the DVD a few times now, but always put it off waiting for the Blu-ray.

Same with the sequel, I might as well see it for the first time when it hits Blu-ray.

Posted: 29 July 2012 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

“Beat it, I don’t give a shit.

If you’re not capable of asking the right questions or know how to listen to me, we can just forget about the interview.  You have no right to interrupt me when I’m talking, did you understand that or not?

I don’t talk for you but for the millions of viewers of this.

Listen closely, do you listen now?
Don’t ever interrupt me again or I’ll go home.

A bunch of idiots! - Some smart-ass interviewer trying to provoke me for her interview.  Come to my show and listen to what I’ve got to say so you don’t need to ask stupid questions.

I’m 45 years old, I don’t have to take shit from such an illiterate.”

Yeah, you tell ‘em Klaus, that’ll teach those illiterate interviewer idiots.  Those are the words of Klaus Kinski when being interviewed, and when an interview is as entertaining as that, you sort of know you’re in for some quality acting.  I wonder if he behaved like that while dressed as Nosferatu?  Anyway, here’s the interview, but those who don’t speak German will need to press the CC button on the YouTube player to see the subtitles:

Klaus is cool (he starts getting pissed-off at around 5:40 although there are hints of it earlier in the interview):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uwr9JT-nk4

Image Attachments
KK.jpg

Posted: 29 July 2012 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-08-20

He didn’t just ‘teach those illiterate interviewer idiots’. 

http://youtu.be/MPKODzv1PD4

Signature 

Yeah. It’s like that.

Posted: 29 July 2012 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

Bloody hell, hadn’t seen that one!

In the subtitles, Herzog says:
“The cause was trivial, and I didn’t bother to interfere, because Kinski compared to his previous outbreaks seemed rather mild.”

So if that one was “rather mild”, that might suggest another out there that’s even more entertaining, have you seen it?

BTW, had to lol at a YouTube comment:
“Christian Bale is so f*cking jealous right now.”

Posted: 29 July 2012 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  736
Joined  2003-10-09

I just found this thread. Judging by Page 1 (Bowie) and Page 7 (Kinski), it’s my kind of thread - lol.

Anyway, if you don’t know the Icelandic band Sigur Ros, this video is worth a look. Even if you don’t like the music, try watching the whole video - it’s worth it. (Hint - The children ‘apparently’ indulge in a mass suicide at the end, but nothing is ever what it seems).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr_MJAOyOeU

mac

7 of 12