Digital Art Zone

9 of 12
The Music Video Thread II :
Posted: 06 August 2012 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2004-06-12

@Blaze’
Welcome to the madhouse, and it’s cool to hear Kettu’s been promoting the thread :-P
BTW, I thought “My Dying Bride” wasn’t too bad.

@Kettu
I never realised YouTube could be such a pain in the arse for finding certain music.  Still haven’t found exactly what I wanted you to hear, but I have some versions close enough and will post them later.  Just a few more to find.

Posted: 06 August 2012 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

OK Kettu, here’s the track I had difficulty placing second to Impossible Dream (real difficulty).

Before you hear it, here’s an explanation.  Impossible Dream is a song I heard a long time ago, and like I said, when I heard it it was one of those tunes that got me whistling it for a long time.  However, it’s fair to say that what Honda did with it, giving it footage and adding the roar of the engines, is what really added the “goosebump factor” to it for me, because without that, it doesn’t have quite same musical adrenalin to it.

This second track got placed second because, I think, the visuals aren’t there, but listening to it again just now I still got goosebumps and at one point, even a spine tingle (oh yes I did, just wait until you hear it).  If this song is so good without the visuals, I can only imagine what it would be like if it had the same visual treatment Honda gave to Impossible Dream ;-)

If there was such a thing as an “unfairness ratio”, then you’re about to experience one big-time, because fact is, this track is relatively unknown.  It’s actually a B-Side to yet another beautiful track.  It’s lucky some Japanese fan has uploaded this otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to show you.  Anyway, I’m babbling, so just think Matt Monro, Frank Sinatra, Joe Longthorne, all of those who have covered stunning ballads.  Well, they should have covered this as well.

Now that you have the other track, I’d love to hear, in laymen’s terms, what connects them.  You already said something that got my attention, and I’ll question it once I have the lowdown from you (which I really look forward to).  You mentioned that Lara Fabian had a good vocal that was more about power, and I agree.  Well, here’s a vocalist who is noted for the emotion put into the work.

Goosebump time, play it at least twice and be sure to use 1080p to get as much ‘air’ as possible:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64TFobO53N8

And for convenience of comparison, here’s the previous track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHWX2YTolwQ

PS: I would also be interested to know which of the two you like best, and why.

Posted: 06 August 2012 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  425
Joined  2008-06-25
pumeco - 06 August 2012 12:30 PM

Now that you have the other track, I’d love to hear, in laymen’s terms, what connects them.  You already said something that got my attention, and I’ll question it once I have the lowdown from you (which I really look forward to).  You mentioned that Lara Fabian had a good vocal that was more about power, and I agree.  Well, here’s a vocalist who is noted for the emotion put into the work.

Goosebump time, play it at least twice and be sure to use 1080p to get as much ‘air’ as possible:

And for convenience of comparison, here’s the previous track:
http://vimeo.com/18992156

PS: I would also be interested to know which of the two you like best, and why.

Oh wow. This is surely an emotional performance, and the lyrics ring very true to me.

So, what do these songs have in common… Apart from the general sonic texture. I think, the way the melody moves: there’s no dissonant, “harsh” steps. And then, I think I hear complex chords, like the seventh chords. Is it laymen enough? It’s a major chord with an extra note on top, sounds very pretty. There’s a chart I found that shows the note positions for them on the staff: http://www.thecipher.com/seventh_chords_of_major.html - try playing them on your keyboard.

And you know… this song kept me thinking involuntarily of that “Je suis malade” one. One of those songs that my friends tend to play to me. I youtube’d it, et voilà... the top result is by a certain Serge Lama (and then there’s Lara Fabian, I think it’s either her or Dalida’s version my friends like to put on… or both…). And when I googled the lyrics for “Alone” (I like looking at the whole song at once), one of the authors was listed as “S. Lama”, must be the same one because this definitely sounds French, from the way the melody moves… the song is wistful, but the melody is a little “playful”, if you compare it to the “Impossible Dream” which does less jumping up and down, I think. There’s that certain “playfulness” in many French songs.
You also mentioned Sinatra, and “My Way” is the one both songs reminded me of - because of the seventh chords, I think… And then I remembered “My Way” was also translated from French! It’s called “Comme d’habitude”, but I don’t remember who did it originally… If I know anything about French music, blame my friends and their obsession with French music…they call themselves “Francofolies”, “French-crazies” =D

Which one I like best… Hard to say, they’re both beautiful songs. I think, if we take these tracks as they are, I’d go with “Alone” because Ms Mouskouri’s voice strikes a deeper chord within my heart, her delivery is very solemn and… haunting? But while I was looking for the authors of “Impossible Dream” (to see if they were by any chance French, however unlikely - and they aren’t), I found a version that Elvis did. And the way Elvis sung any song is guaranteed to move me. He was by no means perfect, but had that special something… So with the Elvis version, it’s a tie. I can see why you were struggling!

Elvis Presley, also known as “The King”, doing “Impossible Dream”, most likely live:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4wTwt_D9qM

...and then I started thinking in what songs that I regularly listen to seventh chords are that prominent. Most of them are by Peter Hammill, either solo or with Van der Graaf Generator... His song are rarely “conventionally” pretty, there’s a fair share of dissonant and/or unusual twists in melodies and arrangements. Here’s one… If you have about twelve minutes of time. The metaphoric lyrics have that SF tinge: http://www.hammill.ru/vdgg76s.html#270 - read them before you listen but don’t worry if they don’t seem to make sense right away… Hammill is notorious for very unconventional lyrics.

And then, listen. Childlike Faith in Childhood’s End (the majestic part that is most heavy on seventh chords first comes in at about 02:40):

http://www.progarchives.com/mp3.asp?id=166

Oh yeah, VdGG is a British band, too =)

Signature 

do your research before blaming 3Delight for shortcomings of your renders

dA gallery link in profile along with anything else you may need to know about me

my thread with freebies

Posted: 06 August 2012 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

... and I’ve forgotten to answer questions again :-P

Mustakettu85 - 04 August 2012 06:43 PM

I’m sorry, I’ve just seen the post!! Must have been some forum notification glitch…

Same here, haven’t been getting notifications for hardly anything lately.

The song is very pretty and has wonderful lyrics with a lovely spiritual message. I’ve never heard it before - who did it, BTW?

I can only go by the Wiki which states Mitch Leigh is the composer and lyrics are by Joe Darion.  The guy you see on the video isn’t actually singing, he’s just miming.  The person you hear singing is Andy Williams.

...but I’ve seen the lyrics quoted here and there. And even though I’ve never heard it, it has that “instant familiarity” that is considered to form the basis of a “classic hit” - the chord progression is pleasantly recognisable yet is not really some tried and true I-IV-V, and the melody moves mostly in consonant intervals. It seems seventh chords are very important for the arrangement - I tend to think of them as “high fashion” because they’re used in many classic pop or jazz hits. Do you like jazz?

I’ll leave the chord thing for when I’ve heard your thoughts on the other song, but as for Jazz, yes, I do like Jazz but again it’s a bit like with classical music, I’m just an absolute prick when it comes to knowing who did what.

I’m still looking for some tracks and among them you’ll notice Jazz, or at least a feel of Jazz makes it’s way into a lot of them, and funny enough, I read that the guy who composed Impossible Dream was also a Jazz musician - so there’s definitely something “Jazz” in the stuff I like.

Posted: 06 August 2012 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-25
pumeco - 05 August 2012 09:18 AM

You probably know what I’m going to say before I even say it; I thought the best one was “Energize Me”.  It’s not what I’d listen to but I thought it was better than the others in that list.

Well yeah, I did have a feeling you were going to choose it =)

Look… there’s this band, Epica. I dislike them for many reasons, but there’s one track I can’t get over. It’s just soo damn simple - when I play it, I usually just play power chords… but I love the bold leaps in the melody, and, well, I guess the fact that it’s acoustic. Take a listen - even if you don’t like it, you’ll at least see a pretty Dutch girl in the video… //actually this is an After Forever spinoff, and I’m happy the guy went to form this Epica because early After Forever was almost as boring as Epica is//

Epica - Solitary Ground:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb17Yc1a8lE

And just for the heck of it: one of the early After Forever songs I like, “Emphasis” - the melody is interesting, but the guitar/keyboard riffs put me to sleep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_sHjB5aHgo - the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56WYlHS6Vq8 - a better quality audio upload

TATU almost always released in both Russian and English.  You need two albums to get both languages, but at least there’s a choice.  Some are better in English, some are better in Russian.

Could you please post some of your favourites? I’ve only heard “Not gonna get us” in English, and, as I said, nothing apart from the singles.

Again, thanks for the kind words, you just made my head swell!

You’re welcome, and it’s okay if your head swells unless it prevents you from wearing a Gary Cooper hat! =)

I’m ashamed I know so little about who’s who with the classical composers, especially, as I said, I do respect the music.

That’s OK. We can always play this “do you like it” game =)

And then there’s that French site http://www.deezer.com - it has two “radio stations”, “Classique Vocal” and “Classique Instrumental”. It might be tricky to find them, though - so try these links:
http://www.deezer.com/en/radio/radio-116 - vocal
http://www.deezer.com/en/radio/radio-117 - instrumental
You may need to register or login with facebook if you use it, before it lets you play the music. The cool thing is that all the info is there =)

So, a couple of my favourites… Sung by Marilyn Horne.

Che faro senza Euridice” from Gluck‘s Orfeo & Euridice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUAM0ER-Dw

Perche turbar la calma” from Rossini‘s Tancredi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5omp5y9NkPA

The only consolation I have is that my playing technique allows me to do things a correctly taught person probably wouldn’t do, and I suppose sometimes it comes out nice and ‘different’.

This made me think of Ken Hensley… The guy behind much of the early Uriah Heep stuff. I generally prefer their late 70s or (universally hated) 80s period, but it’s just because I don’t like David Byron, their original singer, that much… Basically he’s also a self-taught keyboardist and said similar things about his playing. I think it’s just as fine for non-classical music, unless “wrong” technique makes your hands tire when playing.

You must have heard this 10,000 times… but isn’t it still cute… Uriah Heep - July Morning, live 1975 (more British bands!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP_y2ZG_gM4

I like reading such things, it’s not a rant to me, more an insight really.

Thanks =)

The analogue purists aren’t knocking digital, they’re simply trying to get through to those new people in the industry that the “high-end” is analogue, not digital.

Well, if that is the heart of the matter, it’s strange that some people don’t get it… The thing is, generally within any technology, “high end” stuff is, as a rule, the stuff that costs more. And it’s much the same for all aspects of a musical performance, like, the instruments. (OK some guitars ARE ridiculously overpriced for their design faults, but these are unfortunate exceptions)

The fact is that digital is only ever good if you don’t want the qualities of natural audio - and I never saw the attraction in it.

And still, such people exist. Even among rock performers. At least, their stuff sounds like freaking MIDI through an old FM synth, and they don’t appear to be on such a tight budget - if they have managed to get that plastic sound out of analogue gear, this must imply some outrageously perverse talent…

now you’re sounding more like an analogue purist tongue laugh

Haha, thanks, but I’m no purist - unless we’re talking about artistic expression, now this is where I get zealous (or drums… LOL) I’m just a very practically minded loud-voiced singer with that type of tone that generally needs a little harmonic oomph to sound convincing on record.

And I have to ask, so does this mean you have a website for your band, somewhere we can hear you play and sing?

Thanks for asking, but… Not yet. I’ve been trying to get some talented people to work with me for the last ten years, but they lose interest quickly or get distracted by the “real life”. I should probably gather courage and make some simple songwriting demos so that I could start searching for people to collaborate with online… But it’s on the backburner as of right now (I need to remain focused on some “real life” stuff for a while). Basically, my biggest problem is that I’m a slow arranger (music programming feels very tedious to me) and not that much of a guitar player (I can’t play solos). I have a keyboard, but even if I were a good keyboard player, you can’t really play a guitar solo on a keyboard, the “feel” is too different.

If I ever get this off the ground or somehow sneak into a “ready-made” band, I will most likely announce it here on the forums. Though this looks to be a trademark “DAZ soon” away LOL

I’m not sure you’d like my stuff anyway, I’m heavily influenced by bands you weren’t much impressed with =D

I didn’t even know Russia made MP3 players, sounds like the Russians made a deal with Samsung or something.

No, no, Samsung and other Korean brands have nothing to do with it. This is a local brand that builds portable electronics using generic components like the Rockchip circuits. The quality varies from model to model, but it’s still better than more popular brands because those are terribly overpriced for their similar quality lapses.

And it’s great to hear you would never buy a song from iTunes, me neither, not just because of the greed, but because I prefer physical media.  Some good news recently is that Vinyl sales are on the increase and the download bubble has already burst (it was only a matter of time until that happened).

I like physical media, too - mostly CDs because even if vinyl weren’t that expensive, it is too fragile for me to handle. Though vinyl disks have giant sleeves that are great for artwork… But I am really grateful that people invented digital distribution because there are albums I would not be able to buy otherwise (either they can’t be shipped to Russia or the delivery prices are insane). And then there’s those albums that go out of print too quickly (the more obscure the band is, the harder it is to get their stuff - and I mostly like obscure bands). And there’s always a matter of storage space, too =)
What saddens me is that not every digital retailer carries lossless formats or album artwork. The best thing is, of course, to buy directly from the artist, or at least from a service like cdbaby that has the best royalties, but not every band these days has this luxury… Most are still slaves to the record label.

Of course the only reason these measures have to be taken in the first place is because of the damage iTunes and other such crap has done to music retailers worldwide, and because our governments are incapable of dealing with industry and job threatening monopolies.

I actually see it a bit differently. For me, iTunes, music retailer chains and record labels are all part of the same God-awful showbiz machine that promotes “flavour of the month” instead of letting the artist grow. The whole mainstream showbiz model of today is EVIL, to me. I see the Internet as a chance for changing that, hopefully dragging the showbiz moguls down and soiling all the shiny suits of those record label executives who issue mindless orders to the A&R departments that actually maim and cripple unsuspecting young bands who are so happy to get that darned coveted record deal. And those who won’t comply get their careers ruined because of one line in legalese fine print that they unwittingly had signed under.

I love sites like reverbnation and mikseri because there’s a lot of unsigned talent there. And even if they don’t have the budget for “big” records, I’d rather hear something less perfectly sounding but at least, faithful to the band’s artistic intent.

The artist, right now, is the most disposable part of the “food chain”. And this makes me very sad.

Signature 

dA gallery link in profile along with anything else you may need to know about me

my thread with freebies

Posted: 06 August 2012 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-25
BlazeMystEra - 05 August 2012 08:40 AM

Oh wow… so many great links here… I guess It’ll take me a few days to sort through that, thanks Mustakettu85 for pointing me here smile

Welcome!! Yeah this is the thread to get lost in =)

Somehow this thread inspired me to listen to some of my faves again… I don’t really know how to categorize them… Never been good at that smile Hmm… I admit I haven’t read all the sites yet and this might be linked already… but…

My Dying Bride (especially For my fallen Angel)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLmspcgrYrY

One of my closer friends likes them a lot. Always think of her when I hear them =)

...why does youtube show POISON in related videos?!?! LOL

or the Wolfheart Album…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtbUPfhA18c

Ooh Moonspell… We were listening to them with schoolmates when I was about fourteen… This one and “Irreligious” too… We thought “Sin/Pecado” to be somewhat of a sell-out…

Found a superb live version of one of my favourites off “Irreligious” - with Anneke van Giersbergen guesting! \m/

Moonspell - Raven Claws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYymEGpq6Hw

And for a less “heavy menu” how’s about Bands like Airbourne?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQBtVQ0TxWA

These are totally awesome!! The singer sounds like a lot of my 80s favourites rolled into one…

Signature 

my thread with freebies

Posted: 07 August 2012 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2010-11-26

Because Youtube is “awesome” like that? wink raspberry

Hmm… what did I listen to at the age of 14… you know the first ‘Rockband’ I ever heard was Bon Jovi… and my Mother would have kicked me out had I ever bought a cassette (yes, yes, cassette…) of Bon Jovi… it was OK for my brother though, who was 5 years younger and didn’t listen to music back then anyway, so… I uhm… borrowed what I gifted to him? ^^

I was about 17 when I got across Music that I would have gotten into real problem with my mother for… you know… Kiss *lol* I was such a ‘Pop-Tart’ My first CD though was a nice “Oldies” CD ... first time my mother and I could agree on music… the Beatles. The agreement was gone though when a friend gifted me with a Doro cassette… and from there it went uphill for me (or downhill if you ask my mother wink )

I just remembered something I wanted to link… so I’ll stand here and wait for the verbal slaps *g*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMgaTb9apSE
Because it’s somehow sick *lol* to me it feels like a mixture of ... I don’t know… Sailormoon, Terminator and Every Parents Nightmare wink But somehow it just… fits.

Signature 

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.  ~Herm Albright

Posted: 07 August 2012 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

Thanks for that, Kettu, I appreciate it :-)

I’m preparing a link-fest for you so that I can answer the questions and provide links at the same time (a lot of stuff seems closely related to another things).  I’ve learnt two things from what you told me, so it was definitely worth me asking.  I wont get the big post done today, but in the meantime here’s another favourite along the same lines as my top two, and indeed, has a sort of “My Way” about it.  It’s unfortunate I can’t find the album version of it (which is the best version ever sung IMHO), but at least I’ve been able to find the artist.  This is a live version sung by Joe Longthorne, someone I know through my sister being friends with his father.  I’ve actually had his father sat in the back seat of my car, and I tell you what, watching his father navigating in and out of the back seat of a three-door MG Metro, was quite amusing - lol

Anyway, please bear in mind that he was fighting cancer when he performed this, so he’s not himself, he’s tired, swollen, and can hardly walk in this one.  I’m pleased to say he beat it and now looks a good ten years younger than he did in this clip.

You said you like to see lyrics, so I’ve included them here for you to soak-up before you hear it.  Bear in mind that I posted these lyrics based on the way he sings it on the album, so there are some differences.  Anyway, hope you like it - I think you will.

If I Never Sing Another Song

In my heyday, young girls wrote to me
Everybody seemed to have time to devote to me
Everyone I saw, all swore they knew me
Once upon a song

Main attraction, you couldn’t buy a seat
I was the celebrity celebrities would die to meet
I’ve had every accolade bestowed on me
And so you see ...

If I never sing another song
It wouldn’t bother me
I’ve had my share of fame
You know my name

Or take another bow
I would get by, but I’m not sure, how

Always posing, but you love it all
Though you have to learn to act like you’re above it all
Everything I did, the world applauded me
Once upon a star

Framed citations, hung on every wall
Got a scrapbook full of quotes, I can’t recall them all
There was a time when I thought all the world belonged to me
And so you see ...

It wouldn’t bother me
I’ve had my share of fame
You know my name

Or take another bow
I would get by, but I’m not sure, how

You can listen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_lhHyT0Z50

Image Attachments
JL.jpg

Posted: 08 August 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12
Mustakettu85 - 06 August 2012 05:23 PM

Oh wow. This is surely an emotional performance, and the lyrics ring very true to me.

So, what do these songs have in common… Apart from the general sonic texture. I think, the way the melody moves: there’s no dissonant, “harsh” steps. And then, I think I hear complex chords, like the seventh chords. Is it laymen enough? It’s a major chord with an extra note on top, sounds very pretty. There’s a chart I found that shows the note positions for them on the staff: http://www.thecipher.com/seventh_chords_of_major.html - try playing them on your keyboard.

Right then, the sonic texture makes sense for a start.  I have a thing for high-pitched strings and perfectly placed horns etc.  In fact, as odd as it might sound, it’s a often the sound of the horn that bring-on the goosebumps.

The chord page you linked to is just scary to me, it has those “musical dots”.  You were only “layman” enough for me to understand a seventh chord because thankfully, I’ve had this book since I got my first keyboard, and seventh chords is about as far as I got, haven’t even looked at the book for years.

A very visual guide and the only way I could grasp it, at least back then:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keyboardists-Picture-Chord-Encyclopedia-Piano/dp/0825611326/

And you know… this song kept me thinking involuntarily of that “Je suis malade” one. One of those songs that my friends tend to play to me. I youtube’d it, et voilà... the top result is by a certain Serge Lama (and then there’s Lara Fabian, I think it’s either her or Dalida’s version my friends like to put on… or both…). And when I googled the lyrics for “Alone” (I like looking at the whole song at once), one of the authors was listed as “S. Lama”, must be the same one because this definitely sounds French, from the way the melody moves… the song is wistful, but the melody is a little “playful”, if you compare it to the “Impossible Dream” which does less jumping up and down, I think. There’s that certain “playfulness” in many French songs.
You also mentioned Sinatra, and “My Way” is the one both songs reminded me of - because of the seventh chords, I think… And then I remembered “My Way” was also translated from French! It’s called “Comme d’habitude”, but I don’t remember who did it originally… If I know anything about French music, blame my friends and their obsession with French music…they call themselves “Francofolies”, “French-crazies” =D

I looked-up the Fabian track and it wasn’t bad.  It was a bit lacking ‘flow’ I think you call it, but it was definitely OK.

The most interesting thing you said there was that it “sounds French”.  That got my attention because years ago I used to think the same things about certain songs, but at the same time, I thought, nah, how can something sound French.  On the one hand, something can sound like, for example, Japanese if it has traditional Japanese instruments in it, but remove those instruments and would it still sound Japanese?  I dismissed the fact that something could sound French for the same reasons, but reading your comment there, it seems perhaps I was right, things can sound French.

Extra interesting about the French thing is that I do like a lot French music, especially French pop.  Here’s a track I like, she’s French but sings in both English and French, and one of the main reasons I like this track (apart from it being super-catchy), is the chord sequence.  It seems relatively basic, but I love this chord sequence.  Is this chord sequence somehow French?

In English:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z15snGzGFpo

In French:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=240S04eCCC0

Live (here purely for men’s enjoyment):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6omsDyFNlk

Which one I like best… Hard to say, they’re both beautiful songs. I think, if we take these tracks as they are, I’d go with “Alone” because Ms Mouskouri’s voice strikes a deeper chord within my heart, her delivery is very solemn and… haunting? But while I was looking for the authors of “Impossible Dream” (to see if they were by any chance French, however unlikely - and they aren’t), I found a version that Elvis did. And the way Elvis sung any song is guaranteed to move me. He was by no means perfect, but had that special something… So with the Elvis version, it’s a tie. I can see why you were struggling!

Elvis Presley, also known as “The King”, doing “Impossible Dream”, most likely live:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4wTwt_D9qM

...and then I started thinking in what songs that I regularly listen to seventh chords are that prominent. Most of them are by Peter Hammill, either solo or with Van der Graaf Generator... His song are rarely “conventionally” pretty, there’s a fair share of dissonant and/or unusual twists in melodies and arrangements. Here’s one… If you have about twelve minutes of time. The metaphoric lyrics have that SF tinge: http://www.hammill.ru/vdgg76s.html#270 - read them before you listen but don’t worry if they don’t seem to make sense right away… Hammill is notorious for very unconventional lyrics.

And then, listen. Childlike Faith in Childhood’s End (the majestic part that is most heavy on seventh chords first comes in at about 02:40):

http://www.progarchives.com/mp3.asp?id=166

Oh yeah, VdGG is a British band, too =)

I’m just glad they both come across as beautiful songs.

Regards Mouskouri’s voice, yes, definitely haunting, although I must admit I don’t have any of her albums so I’m just basing that on the two songs I have of hers, the A and B side of a vinyl I got when I was a teen - it was the first time I ever asked my parents to buy me a record, so even then there was something powerful about the music to make me do that.  Side A, of course, was absolutely super as you are about to hear.

Side A:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4saETJVfkfQ

Side B:

I should point out that it was Side A that made me want it, Side B, “Alone”, just happened to be the most amazing B-Side.  You might even like Side A better than Side B, it has that amazing “prettyness” you speak of to it.  At this point I should also point out that I’m not some soppy guy, the words to Side A meant nothing to me, I was a kid and it was only the melody that struck me.

As for Elvis singing “The Impossible Dream”, you’re not gonna like this, but I thought it was bloody awful.  Never could stand Elvis, irritating beyond belief, always sounds as if he’s putting an act on, which of course he is.  VdGG, again, I thought it was bloody awful, just didn’t sound musical to me.  It was quite weird as well, so for me not to like something that is weird, that’s really saying something :-P

Mustakettu85 - 06 August 2012 07:16 PM

Well yeah, I did have a feeling you were going to choose it =)

Look… there’s this band, Epica. I dislike them for many reasons, but there’s one track I can’t get over. It’s just soo damn simple - when I play it, I usually just play power chords… but I love the bold leaps in the melody, and, well, I guess the fact that it’s acoustic. Take a listen - even if you don’t like it, you’ll at least see a pretty Dutch girl in the video… //actually this is an After Forever spinoff, and I’m happy the guy went to form this Epica because early After Forever was almost as boring as Epica is//

Epica - Solitary Ground:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb17Yc1a8lE

And just for the heck of it: one of the early After Forever songs I like, “Emphasis” - the melody is interesting, but the guitar/keyboard riffs put me to sleep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_sHjB5aHgo - the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56WYlHS6Vq8 - a better quality audio upload

“Solitary Ground” sounded promising but I didn’t like the vocal, whereas Emphasis, again, don’t like the vocal, has that Operatic tone to it and a lot of female Opera singers irritate the crap out of me.

Could you please post some of your favourites? I’ve only heard “Not gonna get us” in English, and, as I said, nothing apart from the singles.

My favourite TATU tracks are the lesser known ones, and my absolute favourite of theirs is a track that in many ways, equals an ABBA track (even the way they filmed it appears to be a nod to ABBA profile shots).  When you think “ABBA”, you think quality lyrics, melody, harmony, and of course, production.  If there was ever proof that TATU are more than just the publicity-seeking machine people think they were - this is that proof:

My favourite TATU track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98kgUvnbTLM

That track is what TATU were cut out to do, they’re a duet and their vocal differences really work together in that track.  It’s a real shame they didn’t do more like that.  I knew from the early stuff they were going to be a big hit.  People mock and mark “All The Things She Said” and “Not Gonna Get Us” as attention-seeking marketeering due to the “spin” surrounding them (which of course it was), but behind all that are unmistakably well-crafted pop music - “melodies that stick” - a TATU trademark.

As for other favourites, I prefer the later tracks because the voices aren’t as high-pitched as they were in the early stuff, meaning you now get to enjoy the TATU musical flair without the ear pain :-P

White Robe - English:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3bCJ-rqkMw
White Robe - Russian:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYTO4piTi48

Sparks - English:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0sXkdRwCPo
Sparks - Russian:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOcmSsBfafg

You’re welcome, and it’s okay if your head swells unless it prevents you from wearing a Gary Cooper hat! =)

I prefer my woolly hat as it allows for ample head expansion :-D

That’s OK. We can always play this “do you like it” game =)

And then there’s that French site http://www.deezer.com - it has two “radio stations”, “Classique Vocal” and “Classique Instrumental”. It might be tricky to find them, though - so try these links:
http://www.deezer.com/en/radio/radio-116 - vocal
http://www.deezer.com/en/radio/radio-117 - instrumental
You may need to register or login with facebook if you use it, before it lets you play the music. The cool thing is that all the info is there =)

So, a couple of my favourites… Sung by Marilyn Horne.

Che faro senza Euridice” from Gluck‘s Orfeo & Euridice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUAM0ER-Dw

Perche turbar la calma” from Rossini‘s Tancredi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5omp5y9NkPA

As you probably gathered due to my comment above, I like classical music but don’t like the singer added.  I like to hear the orchestral arrangements of classical music, and I like music that feels to be inspired by it, but I don’t like singers added to classical music - it’s strictly an instrument like for me.

If there’s four genre’s of music I cannot stand, they are Opera, Gospel, Rap, and Dub-step, yet if you mix Classical, Rap, and Dub-step in just the right amount, you end up with something really very cool indeed.  I think this track is great, I really do, and I absolutely love the chord sequence.

A stroke of genius, a nice track and video ruined only by the shitty quality, low volume upload typical of VEVO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRzMtlZjXpU

This made me think of Ken Hensley… The guy behind much of the early Uriah Heep stuff. I generally prefer their late 70s or (universally hated) 80s period, but it’s just because I don’t like David Byron, their original singer, that much… Basically he’s also a self-taught keyboardist and said similar things about his playing. I think it’s just as fine for non-classical music, unless “wrong” technique makes your hands tire when playing.

You must have heard this 10,000 times… but isn’t it still cute… Uriah Heep - July Morning, live 1975 (more British bands!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP_y2ZG_gM4

At last, something that had a good chord sequence and sounded musical :-)

Well, if that is the heart of the matter, it’s strange that some people don’t get it… The thing is, generally within any technology, “high end” stuff is, as a rule, the stuff that costs more. And it’s much the same for all aspects of a musical performance, like, the instruments. (OK some guitars ARE ridiculously overpriced for their design faults, but these are unfortunate exceptions)

What nonsense, I don’t know where you picked that up from (probably YouTube judging by how ridiculous it sounds), but whoever gave you the impression that “High-end” was related to price, was talking through their arse.  But even if that were the case, analogue wins hands down because it is so expensive even large studios cannot afford it (which is why they’re forced to use digital).

How expensive is the High-end, well, here’s a little piece of high-end analogue:
http://www.ams-neve.com/products/outboard/1081-mic-preamp-equalizer

That’ll be just £6,800.00 for the 3U version, and if you’re feeling flush, how about the 7U at just £24,000.00.  So Kettu, just promise me you wont ever say something like that when you become famous and get to hear yourself through one of those fancy analogue consoles.  Of course the price is prohibitive, and there’s no way on earth the cost is justified for the materials or even the labour, unless of course, you’re a studio that must have the very best that money can buy.  Remember that it is the purpose of the studio to capture the best it can, and with digital, no matter how good, that cannot be done because the best it can be is in analogue form, not digital.

YouTube is full of crackpots who haven’t a clue what they’re talking about, take no notice of them.

And still, such people exist. Even among rock performers. At least, their stuff sounds like freaking MIDI through an old FM synth, and they don’t appear to be on such a tight budget - if they have managed to get that plastic sound out of analogue gear, this must imply some outrageously perverse talent…

You mentioned earlier that digital has it’s place for people who want it to sound digital.  To an extent I agree, there might be the odd band out there that would actually benefit from digital, but for the most part it’s a false positive.

Back in the eighties, when the Fairlight CMI arrived, the technology was new and the bit-rate and resolution were moderate to say the least.  But despite the fact the resolution was so low, recordings of that instrument sounded fantastic because even though the instrument was digital, it was getting recorded in analogue.  It resulted in a crunchy, solid sound, where the crunch came from the low-fi digital and the solidity came from the high fidelity of analogue.

Here’s an example of analogue “helping” digital, be careful not to blow your head off, analogue is stamped all over it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SRUwv781fk

That track is basically what my setup is, digital instruments that get mixed and recorded in analogue - and the result - amazing.

Haha, thanks, but I’m no purist - unless we’re talking about artistic expression, now this is where I get zealous (or drums… LOL) I’m just a very practically minded loud-voiced singer with that type of tone that generally needs a little harmonic oomph to sound convincing on record.

You might not be an analogue purist, yet, but there is always hope :-P

Thanks for asking, but… Not yet. I’ve been trying to get some talented people to work with me for the last ten years, but they lose interest quickly or get distracted by the “real life”. I should probably gather courage and make some simple songwriting demos so that I could start searching for people to collaborate with online… But it’s on the backburner as of right now (I need to remain focused on some “real life” stuff for a while). Basically, my biggest problem is that I’m a slow arranger (music programming feels very tedious to me) and not that much of a guitar player (I can’t play solos). I have a keyboard, but even if I were a good keyboard player, you can’t really play a guitar solo on a keyboard, the “feel” is too different.

If I ever get this off the ground or somehow sneak into a “ready-made” band, I will most likely announce it here on the forums. Though this looks to be a trademark “DAZ soon” away LOL

I’m not sure you’d like my stuff anyway, I’m heavily influenced by bands you weren’t much impressed with =D

lol - Well as long as it doesn’t result in a band sounding like Elvis’ music, I wish you the best of luck ;-)

I like physical media, too - mostly CDs because even if vinyl weren’t that expensive, it is too fragile for me to handle. Though vinyl disks have giant sleeves that are great for artwork… But I am really grateful that people invented digital distribution because there are albums I would not be able to buy otherwise (either they can’t be shipped to Russia or the delivery prices are insane). And then there’s those albums that go out of print too quickly (the more obscure the band is, the harder it is to get their stuff - and I mostly like obscure bands). And there’s always a matter of storage space, too =)
What saddens me is that not every digital retailer carries lossless formats or album artwork. The best thing is, of course, to buy directly from the artist, or at least from a service like cdbaby that has the best royalties, but not every band these days has this luxury… Most are still slaves to the record label.

Well said.

I actually see it a bit differently. For me, iTunes, music retailer chains and record labels are all part of the same God-awful showbiz machine that promotes “flavour of the month” instead of letting the artist grow. The whole mainstream showbiz model of today is EVIL, to me. I see the Internet as a chance for changing that, hopefully dragging the showbiz moguls down and soiling all the shiny suits of those record label executives who issue mindless orders to the A&R departments that actually maim and cripple unsuspecting young bands who are so happy to get that darned coveted record deal. And those who won’t comply get their careers ruined because of one line in legalese fine print that they unwittingly had signed under.

I love sites like reverbnation and mikseri because there’s a lot of unsigned talent there. And even if they don’t have the budget for “big” records, I’d rather hear something less perfectly sounding but at least, faithful to the band’s artistic intent.

The artist, right now, is the most disposable part of the “food chain”. And this makes me very sad.

Yup, they’re evil, and what amuses me is that we’ve never had it so easy for promoting and distributing our own music.  If ever I get around to recording an album, I’ve always said that I would use it to support the cassette community out there.  It makes sense for me to do that because I’m a fan of the format and love the idea of releasing solely on cassette.  It’s surprising how many people do it now, it’s slowly building and the really cool thing is, because you’re releasing to a format that is no longer flooded, it’s easier to get noticed, in fact, I’d say it’s practically impossible not to get noticed in such communities.  You get to hear stuff no one else would hear, releases that will never be released on digital, and earn some equipment pocket-money in the process.

It’s also very cool to be releasing on cassette, I mean how many people do that.  It’s not for people with visions of fame, but then, people who are prepared to do stuff like that aren’t really bothered about fame anyway.

Posted: 08 August 2012 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

Sorry, accidentally copy/pasted Kettu’s link for the favourite TATU track, edited now, here’s the right one:

Posted: 08 August 2012 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-25
pumeco - 07 August 2012 11:36 AM

Thanks for that, Kettu, I appreciate it grin
I’ve learnt two things from what you told me, so it was definitely worth me asking.

You’re welcome! I’m glad you found something useful in my posts.

pumeco - 07 August 2012 11:36 AM

This is a live version sung by Joe Longthorne, someone I know through my sister being friends with his father.  I’ve actually had his father sat in the back seat of my car, and I tell you what, watching his father navigating in and out of the back seat of a three-door MG Metro, was quite amusing - lol

Ah cool =) Well, Mr Longhorne surely doesn’t look that bad in that video! I’d never have guessed he was sick if you hadn’t told me… Thanks for the lyrics! Interesting how while the lyrics are very poignant, the music is heartfelt yet optimistic… I guess this was the songwriter’s intent. I think the chords are simpler here, but you don’t necessarily need them all jazzed up all the time =) All in all, I totally loved the track, it has a lot of what I find most attractive in popular music… Thanks!!

And it reminded me LOTS of that old Soviet hit by Alla Pugachova (penned by Igor Krutoi, he’s also playing the piano). “Love like a Dream” (youtube says Lara Fabian covered it later, why isn’t it surprising anymore LOL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYVGY69pAbo

pumeco - 08 August 2012 09:14 AM

The chord page you linked to is just scary to me, it has those “musical dots”.

You know, if I ever had a right to give you advice, it would be this: become familiar with the “scary dots” =) The staff notation is here to stay, and it’s very convenient actually. Especially for reading music. For writing music in software, I tend to prefer “piano roll” (easier to visualise chord relationships), but sometimes I use the staff, too.

The most interesting thing you said there was that it “sounds French”.  That got my attention because years ago I used to think the same things about certain songs, but at the same time, I thought, nah, how can something sound French. ...

I think it’s a matter of statistics. People who live close to each other tend to share “culture” (i.e. an inconceivable number of mind-shaping factors), so they tend to use certain gimmicks when doing things, including writing music. When we hear enough music done by people from a certain country, we notice, subconsciously or consciously, what these works have in common, and this shapes our idea of “French music” or anything else.

Extra interesting about the French thing is that I do like a lot French music, especially French pop.  Here’s a track I like, she’s French but sings in both English and French, and one of the main reasons I like this track (apart from it being super-catchy), is the chord sequence.  It seems relatively basic, but I love this chord sequence.  Is this chord sequence somehow French?

What a cool little track =) A bit repetitive for me (though sometimes repetitive stuff works for certain moods of mine), very Mylene Farmer… and here you go, her name is in the credits LOL
I’d say not the chords, the chords do sound very basic i.e. widely used, this pop rock thing that started with The Beatles, I’d say… but the arrangement has that French “playfulness”.

I should point out that it was Side A that made me want it, Side B, “Alone”, just happened to be the most amazing B-Side.  You might even like Side A better than Side B, it has that amazing “prettyness” you speak of to it.

Aww thanks for this link, it really is super pretty! You’re right, I think I like it better than side B, just because it sounds more hopeful and optimistic. Side B is great for the real dark type of mood…

As for Elvis singing “The Impossible Dream”, you’re not gonna like this, but I thought it was bloody awful.  Never could stand Elvis, irritating beyond belief, always sounds as if he’s putting an act on, which of course he is.

Funny, I call it “theatrics” and this is exactly the reason why I love Elvis =) If you know anything about Russian theatre traditions, Elvis is more “Meyerhold” than “Stanislavsky”. “Larger than life”, of mythic proportions.

VdGG, again, I thought it was bloody awful, just didn’t sound musical to me.  It was quite weird as well, so for me not to like something that is weird, that’s really saying something tongue laugh

Ahaha, well I suspected they aren’t your cup of tea =) VdGG are indeed not that accessible - that’s the real oldschool progressive rock (though the best prog guys hate this term LOL), more experimental than anything. Subverting established patterns. Peter Hammill’s solo stuff is more “traditional”... Well, sometimes…

Peter Hammill - Airport
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M6mtKw9n7Q

“Solitary Ground” sounded promising but I didn’t like the vocal
whereas Emphasis, again, don’t like the vocal, has that Operatic tone to it and a lot of female Opera singers irritate the crap out of me.

So we don’t like Simone’s vocals, but for different reasons =D She´s not too operatically skilled for me.

My favourite TATU tracks are the lesser known ones, and my absolute favourite of theirs is a track that in many ways, equals an ABBA track (even the way they filmed it appears to be a nod to ABBA profile shots).  When you think “ABBA”, you think quality lyrics, melody, harmony, and of course, production.  If there was ever proof that TATU are more than just the publicity-seeking machine people think they were - this is that proof:

Thanks for the links!! I hope I’ll listen to them a bit later, gotta run soon…

As you probably gathered due to my comment above, I like classical music but don’t like the singer added.

That´s OK. But beware, one day you may grow into it =P And I’m a huuuuge opera freak, so I will be posting opera stuff anyway, I’ll just add large warnings for you not to click on that =)

If there’s four genre’s of music I cannot stand, they are Opera, Gospel, Rap, and Dub-step, yet if you mix Classical, Rap, and Dub-step in just the right amount, you end up with something really very cool indeed.  I think this track is great, I really do, and I absolutely love the chord sequence.

A stroke of genius, a nice track and video ruined only by the shitty quality, low volume upload typical of VEVO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRzMtlZjXpU

Oh. Now this is an example of production that won’t let me enjoy the music… the bass, it’s mixed in that contemporary sort of way that makes my ears bleed. One of the reasons I can’t listen to a lot of mainstream English-speaking music… Anyway, you mean the chord progression in the chorus? It’s a pretty popular one… I think Boston used something similar in at least one of their hits…

At last, something that had a good chord sequence and sounded musical grin

That’s your classic rock born in the British Isles, one of the things to be proud of =)

What nonsense, I don’t know where you picked that up from (probably YouTube judging by how ridiculous it sounds), but whoever gave you the impression that “High-end” was related to price, was talking through their arse.

There, there. Don’t forget I’m a mech engineer/researcher by trade - and at least in Russia, whatever tech you’re thinking of, you get what you pay for. Or were you using some specialised meaning of “high end”? Not “state of the art”?

...I’ll be back to reply to the rest of the post, either in several hours or tomorrow =)

Signature 

my thread with freebies

Posted: 08 August 2012 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

No rush on the responses, Kettu, the thread isn’t going anywhere.  I was thinking a few days back I’ve got to start trimming down the size of the posts, they’re taking so much time I had to start splitting them myself.

Regards the analogue thing, I was just referring to the “High-end” as being the best.  State-of-the-art can be applied to either analogue or digital, both can be said to be state-of-the-art.  We have both state-of-the-art digital and analogue systems so the only real way to separate them is that one is the high-end and the other isn’t.  Analogue is the high-end due to the way it works and what it can handle.  The worlds finest synthesizers, recorders, consoles, compressors, hif-fi systems, are all analogue.

If not “High-end” then I would have to use the term “Higher-end”, meaning analogue is Higher-end than digital - both in price and performance.  Digital audio has no redeeming features other than being cheap and convenient, ideal for the digital age.

Posted: 08 August 2012 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-25
BlazeMystEra - 07 August 2012 06:51 AM

Hmm… what did I listen to at the age of 14… you know the first ‘Rockband’ I ever heard was Bon Jovi… and my Mother would have kicked me out had I ever bought a cassette (yes, yes, cassette…) of Bon Jovi… it was OK for my brother though, who was 5 years younger and didn’t listen to music back then anyway, so… I uhm… borrowed what I gifted to him? ^^

Are we sisters or something? =D Bon Jovi came into my life a bit earlier (I was 10), and even though I’d heard other rock bands before, they were an instant favourite (Second Favourite Band Ever (tm)). My parents thought them completely outrageous (to put it mildly), but they did buy me a cassette, though, - I guess they were hoping I’d grow out of it, but nope… ;P
And why is that younger brothers always get away with anything? =D

I was about 17 when I got across Music that I would have gotten into real problem with my mother for… you know… Kiss *lol*

You know, there’s that (one?) Kiss album which is not pop. Carnival of Souls. My first Kiss album, accidentally… Have you heard it? It’s full of huuuuge 90s riffs and other delightful weirdness, like this song which is sung by that wicked session guitarist Bruce Kulick who happened to be handling the guitars on that album…

KISS - I Walk Alone (feat. Bruce Kulick)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETmWN8thNhI

I was such a ‘Pop-Tart’ My first CD though was a nice “Oldies” CD ... first time my mother and I could agree on music… the Beatles. The agreement was gone though when a friend gifted me with a Doro cassette… and from there it went uphill for me (or downhill if you ask my mother wink

Well at least we have different mothers - my mother hates The Beatles =) And Doro is the Queen of Metal!! Let’s celebrate!!

Doro with Veronica Freeman and Liv Kristine - Celebrate (live)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soAgtcwiLtg

I love all these ladies!

I just remembered something I wanted to link… so I’ll stand here and wait for the verbal slaps *g*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMgaTb9apSE

No, that would only be verbal hugs. X Japan are awesome!! Like Mötley Crüe, they are what “neoglam” bands like Crashdiet are constantly aspiring to be but will never become - because 90% of “neoglam” bands are purely f-a-k-e. Wow, turns out I do have negative opinions about something!!

Signature 

my thread with freebies

Posted: 08 August 2012 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-25
pumeco - 08 August 2012 01:01 PM

No rush on the responses, Kettu, the thread isn’t going anywhere.  I was thinking a few days back I’ve got to start trimming down the size of the posts, they’re taking so much time I had to start splitting them myself.

Yeah, it’s true… BTW have you noticed if the threads bump now or not? There’s some info on that in the announcements, but I may have misunderstood…

And I just wanted to highlight this link again for you - http://www.deezer.com/en/radio/radio-117 - instrumental classical music radio. Really, vocals haven’t cropped up on this channel yet =)

pumeco - 08 August 2012 01:01 PM

If not “High-end” then I would have to use the term “Higher-end”, meaning analogue is Higher-end than digital - both in price and performance.  Digital audio has no redeeming features other than being cheap and convenient, ideal for the digital age.

I see now, thanks =) In “my” field of engineering “high end” is more clearly cut… but yeah, the more I think about what is happening now in the “tech behind music”, the more I realise that there’s no rules anymore above a certain price level. Hell, I’ve heard drummers lament the faults of new top-level big-buck TAMA kits!! And there is a reason vintage Strats, Teles and Gibsons (these are electric guitars) are still highly sought after. Not for “purist” reasons - even the actual assembly quality used to be more consistent.

That track is what TATU were cut out to do, they’re a duet and their vocal differences really work together in that track.  It’s a real shame they didn’t do more like that.

Wow, thanks, that’s a completely new side of T.a.T.u. for me!! This is absolutely “Tom Scholz of Boston goes pop”, and even though I can’t listen to Boston anymore because of what Brad Delp did, still if I compare anything to Boston, it’s one of the greatest compliments I could ever muster.
...the softer side of PMMP kinda seems to be built around the same principles, too. I’m now wondering if PMMP could have been originally conceived as “Finland’s answer to T.A.T.u” (or, given the band’s strong counterculture edge, more like a parody of them…)

Here’s that 2003 breakthrough hit of theirs - I’m not sure you will be able to enjoy it from the musical point of view because it’s one of their “punkier” songs, but I hope you’ll get a laugh out of the video and the lyrics - be sure to read the translation here before you watch: http://lyricstranslate.com/en/rusketusraidat-tan-lines.html

OK here we go. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome - PMMP, Paulan ja Miran molemmat puolet = Both sides of Paula and Mira… doing “Rusketusraidat”! Now everyone take cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwhwIa1Xs0U

White Robe - English:
White Robe - Russian:

It’s interesting how the lyrics change the song. I’ve heard the Russian version before, and the English one is almost innocent. The Russian one is downright angry and bitter, the English one is more like a distant observation. And yeah, the lyrics aren’t translated, they are just sort of written in the same mood, but not exactly.

Sparks - English:
Sparks - Russian:

...and the trend is continued here. And amplified. Do you know that in Russian, it’s openly a song about that desire to kill oneself and that darned significant other? I’ve never heard it, and I guess that because of the lyrics it wasn’t widely played here. The English version is subtly metaphorical, the Russian one is murderous.

Both sets of lyrics are good, though, even the Russian ones - they’re raw but well-written. Unlike, say, Princessa Avenue whose Russian lyrics make me want to do a 220 to the band and their entire crew LOL

...and on the subject of Lena Katina. You know I love Anette of Nightwish, but I think Lena’s part in “October and April” worked better. I can’t generally stand The Rasmus, though - Lauri’s voice makes me sick, and then there’s his obnoxious female fans who actively hate PMMP because Paula is his wife… Anyway, I like the song (and BlazeMystEra - here you go, just what you’ve just told me about ;D )

The Rasmus feat. Lena Katina - October and April
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW3zN1-0Qvk

You mentioned earlier that digital has it’s place for people who want it to sound digital.  To an extent I agree, there might be the odd band out there that would actually benefit from digital, but for the most part it’s a false positive.

I’m sure there must be some sort of a subculture that crafts some sort of weird electronic music that only uses cheap Casio keyboards and Windows Sound Recorder… I’ve heard people use random speech samples as “notes”, I’ve heard the most outrageously lo-fi black metal and other things I have no words to describe - there’s always something out there that is, well, OUT THERE… LOL

...recordings of that instrument sounded fantastic because even though the instrument was digital, it was getting recorded in analogue.

Blackie Lawless of W.A.S.P. also used to pair the two up, though in his case, the instruments and effects were analogue (not that many uses for synths in oldschool metal), but recorded to hard disk. Here’s one of the two tracks of his you may ever have a chance to like… or not.

W.A.S.P. - Keep Holding On
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNMJSyxEbmU

Here’s an example of analogue “helping” digital, be careful not to blow your head off, analogue is stamped all over it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SRUwv781fk

You don’t know what you just did. This was my First Favourite Band Ever, as a pre-school kid. I’ve only had two or three cassettes, though - greatest hits and the like, so I’ve never heard this one until now. And it’s awesome. A whole new side of them, again. Thanks!!

lol - Well as long as it doesn’t result in a band sounding like Elvis’ music, I wish you the best of luck wink

You know, if I ever get compared to Elvis, even if it is going to be you doing it in a negative sense, I will still take it as a great compliment!! Anyway, thanks. And if you ever do release a cassette, let me know, please - I’d love to buy one.

Signature 

my thread with freebies

Posted: 09 August 2012 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12
Mustakettu85 - 08 August 2012 11:51 AM

Ah cool =) Well, Mr Longhorne surely doesn’t look that bad in that video! I’d never have guessed he was sick if you hadn’t told me…

Let’s just say he’s good at hiding it ;-)

And I reckon Mr Longthorne would be pleased to hear yet another female call him Mr Longhorne.  He has a few words for women who flatter him like that.  I’ll spare you the details but I’m sure you can guess how it goes :-D

All in all, I totally loved the track, it has a lot of what I find most attractive in popular music… Thanks!!

Great stuff, and in that case, here’s yet another you might like.  Both the musician and singer are Japanese, but it’s sung in English and there isn’t even the slightest hint of a Japanese accent.  What I like about this track is pretty much what I like about the others, only this one seems to build more gradually, each verse has slightly more to it than the previous.

Follow Me
Follow me, to a land across the shining sea
Waiting beyond the world we have known
Beyond the world, the dream could be
And the joy we have tasted

Follow me, along the road that only love can see
Rising above the fun years of the night
Into the light, beyond the tears
And all the years we have wasted

Follow me, to a distand land this mountain high
Where all the music that we always kept inside will fill the sky
Singing in the silent swerve, a heart is free
While the world goes on turning and turning
Turning and falling

You can listen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHxEj3UvmNs

And it reminded me LOTS of that old Soviet hit by Alla Pugachova (penned by Igor Krutoi, he’s also playing the piano). “Love like a Dream” (youtube says Lara Fabian covered it later, why isn’t it surprising anymore LOL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYVGY69pAbo

It sounded very musical but I didn’t like the vocal, will look for another version though.

You know, if I ever had a right to give you advice, it would be this: become familiar with the “scary dots” =) The staff notation is here to stay, and it’s very convenient actually. Especially for reading music. For writing music in software, I tend to prefer “piano roll” (easier to visualise chord relationships), but sometimes I use the staff, too.

You’re right of course, but I have to say that book I linked to earlier is probably partly responsible for me getting away with it for so long.  The book is so damn good, really handy, much better than other books like that.  I’m the same when it comes to sequencing, I prefer the piano roll over those dots and that’s another reason I keep putting it off.  But yup, will definitely knuckle-down and give it a bash some day.

I think it’s a matter of statistics. People who live close to each other tend to share “culture” (i.e. an inconceivable number of mind-shaping factors), so they tend to use certain gimmicks when doing things, including writing music. When we hear enough music done by people from a certain country, we notice, subconsciously or consciously, what these works have in common, and this shapes our idea of “French music” or anything else.

That makes sense perfect sense.

Aww thanks for this link, it really is super pretty! You’re right, I think I like it better than side B, just because it sounds more hopeful and optimistic. Side B is great for the real dark type of mood…

Nevermind “Awww”, I’m not a soppy guy I tell you - shut-up!!!
And anyway, I never posted Side A, you only imagined it.

Funny, I call it “theatrics” and this is exactly the reason why I love Elvis =) If you know anything about Russian theatre traditions, Elvis is more “Meyerhold” than “Stanislavsky”. “Larger than life”, of mythic proportions.

Yeah, but Freddy Mercury was “theatrical”, but he did it without being annoying!

Ahaha, well I suspected they aren’t your cup of tea =) VdGG are indeed not that accessible - that’s the real oldschool progressive rock (though the best prog guys hate this term LOL), more experimental than anything. Subverting established patterns. Peter Hammill’s solo stuff is more “traditional”... Well, sometimes…

Peter Hammill - Airport
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M6mtKw9n7Q

Nope, just didn’t do anything for me.

That´s OK. But beware, one day you may grow into it =P And I’m a huuuuge opera freak, so I will be posting opera stuff anyway, I’ll just add large warnings for you not to click on that =)

Actually, I was probably a bit careless there, I’ll explain this the best I can.

I can’t stand opera when it’s the type of voice we discussed of the female vocalist earlier, that sort of “faked-hollow” vocal sound.  There are opera singers I thoroughly enjoy listening to (Vitas), but he sings songs that are not always “opera” songs, and even when they are, he makes it more enjoyable, and actually, very cool.

Vitas - Lucia Di Lammermoor (spanning five octaves):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3yfFOq_CFQ

So, when I say I can’t stand opera, it’s just the typical “opera thing” I can’t stand.  Vitas is fantastic, but then I don’t think Vitas is a typical Opera singer.  I do like opera, but only very specific types, and he was the one that caused me to like opera (done his way).

Gospel though, god I hate gospel, I think I’d rather slit my wrist than subject myself to even a minute of it.  Every time I hear Gospel, I feel like loading a blow-pipe with tranquiliser darts and aiming for the buttocks, just to shut them up until I’m out of audible range.  Scary thing is, they love it so much and are sooooooooo energetic, it’s almost as if even an atom bomb couldn’t shut them up - nevermind the humble blow-pipe!

As for Rap and Dub-step ...

Now this is an example of production that won’t let me enjoy the music… the bass, it’s mixed in that contemporary sort of way that makes my ears bleed. One of the reasons I can’t listen to a lot of mainstream English-speaking music… Anyway, you mean the chord progression in the chorus? It’s a pretty popular one… I think Boston used something similar in at least one of their hits…

I meant the entire song, I’m really surprised you didn’t like it.  You seem to have a much broader range of likes than I do, and even I like it.  They’re the only band who produce that type of music to a standard I’m able to listen to.  There’s a few of their tracks I like.  I think what strikes me about their tracks is the inventiveness.  It’s like they take elements of other genres and structure them cleverly together.  I think they make a good musical job of it because, like I say, I cannot stand rap yet they manage to make it musical.  I cannot stand dub-step yet they make simple but slick use of it.  To top it all off, I love the beat and the fact that they add a classical element to it.  One thing common to the tracks of theirs I like, is the musicality despite the fact that their style of music isn’t exactly cut out for being musical.  I think that’s something that separates them from others in their genre.  There’s definitely something because I normally cannot listen to stuff like that at all.

Yup, I’m very surprised at you reaction to that one.

Yeah, it’s true… BTW have you noticed if the threads bump now or not? There’s some info on that in the announcements, but I may have misunderstood…

Yup, I noticed when I thought the thread had disappeared :-D

And I just wanted to highlight this link again for you - http://www.deezer.com/en/radio/radio-117 - instrumental classical music radio. Really, vocals haven’t cropped up on this channel yet =)

It’s just as well you did, because last time I visited it I never bothered with it thinking I had to sign-up.  Thanks, that’s more like it, I visited twice and got a live feed of classical without vocal both times - bookmarked.

I see now, thanks =) In “my” field of engineering “high end” is more clearly cut… but yeah, the more I think about what is happening now in the “tech behind music”, the more I realise that there’s no rules anymore above a certain price level. Hell, I’ve heard drummers lament the faults of new top-level big-buck TAMA kits!! And there is a reason vintage Strats, Teles and Gibsons (these are electric guitars) are still highly sought after. Not for “purist” reasons - even the actual assembly quality used to be more consistent.

Same for me, I’m never in agreement with the way price/performance goes.  I still use a Yamaha AST-based hi-fi system for critical monitoring (yes, I really did say hi-fi for critical monitoring).  Why, because AST is a technology that actually makes sense, and to this day, I’ve not heard anything on the level of Yamaha’s AST gear - no matter how expensive.  I once put-up a second-hand synth for sale, and the guy who came to buy it was sort of engineers’ dogsbody, he was going around buying-up some equipment for a studio.  He came to buy the synth, but couldn’t give a crap about it from the moment he struck the keys and heard it though the Yamaha system I had it connected to.  At one point I actually thought he was going to try blackmailing me into either selling him the hi-fi or he won’t buy the synth.  Luckily it never got to that (and I wouldn’t have parted with it anyway), but wow did he try!

But it just goes to show that even in environments like studios where they have dedicated monitors, there is such technology out there that handles it notably better.  I know it, and he knew it the instant he heard it, even though it cost notably less than a dedicated high-end monitoring system.  He wanted it for the same reason I wont part with it.

I often drool over dedicated monitors and have even tried a few, but I always go back to the AST technology, that’s how good it is.

Wow, thanks, that’s a completely new side of T.a.T.u. for me!! This is absolutely “Tom Scholz of Boston goes pop”, and even though I can’t listen to Boston anymore because of what Brad Delp did, still if I compare anything to Boston, it’s one of the greatest compliments I could ever muster.
...the softer side of PMMP kinda seems to be built around the same principles, too. I’m now wondering if PMMP could have been originally conceived as “Finland’s answer to T.A.T.u” (or, given the band’s strong counterculture edge, more like a parody of them…)

Here’s that 2003 breakthrough hit of theirs - I’m not sure you will be able to enjoy it from the musical point of view because it’s one of their “punkier” songs, but I hope you’ll get a laugh out of the video and the lyrics - be sure to read the translation here before you watch: http://lyricstranslate.com/en/rusketusraidat-tan-lines.html

OK here we go. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome - PMMP, Paulan ja Miran molemmat puolet = Both sides of Paula and Mira… doing “Rusketusraidat”! Now everyone take cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwhwIa1Xs0U

With lyrics like that I just had to listen!
Yup, looks like a TATU type thing, but they’re certainly no TATU judging by that track :-D

White Robe - English:
White Robe - Russian:

It’s interesting how the lyrics change the song. I’ve heard the Russian version before, and the English one is almost innocent. The Russian one is downright angry and bitter, the English one is more like a distant observation. And yeah, the lyrics aren’t translated, they are just sort of written in the same mood, but not exactly.

Sparks - English:
Sparks - Russian:

...and the trend is continued here. And amplified. Do you know that in Russian, it’s openly a song about that desire to kill oneself and that darned significant other? I’ve never heard it, and I guess that because of the lyrics it wasn’t widely played here. The English version is subtly metaphorical, the Russian one is murderous.

Both sets of lyrics are good, though, even the Russian ones - they’re raw but well-written. Unlike, say, Princessa Avenue whose Russian lyrics make me want to do a 220 to the band and their entire crew LOL

...and on the subject of Lena Katina. You know I love Anette of Nightwish, but I think Lena’s part in “October and April” worked better. I can’t generally stand The Rasmus, though - Lauri’s voice makes me sick, and then there’s his obnoxious female fans who actively hate PMMP because Paula is his wife… Anyway, I like the song (and BlazeMystEra - here you go, just what you’ve just told me about ;D )

The Rasmus feat. Lena Katina - October and April
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW3zN1-0Qvk

Congratulations on posting the most musical sounding track you have ever posted for me.  I will definitely look into The Rasmus, especially if that track is a typical one, they actually sound melodic to me, so thanks!

It was also interesting to hear from a native Russian what she felt about the TATU tracks as well.  I guessed a while back they weren’t basic translations, but I never knew what the differences were.  You mention the Russian version is literally murderous, and that fits in with a difference I spotted in “Sparks”.  Early in the track (on the Russian version) I notice Yulia shakes her fists and gives a “look” to the camera, she doesn’t do that in the English version.  Out of curiosity, and due to the murderous intent, what exactly is she shaking her fists about at that point?

As for “Gomenasai” - yes indeed, beautiful track, I can easily picture ABBA singing exactly the same track so it must be good.  I love it when they show off, and while it doesn’t come across as showing off, I like to think there’s an element of “and you thought we were just useless lesbians, suckers” about it.  Of course, another classic is one where Yulia decides to show-off her pianist skills half-way through a track - have you seen it?

I don’t know what to drool over the most, her piano skills, or that beautiful analogue open-reel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxRSGA-6lhg

I’m sure there must be some sort of a subculture that crafts some sort of weird electronic music that only uses cheap Casio keyboards and Windows Sound Recorder… I’ve heard people use random speech samples as “notes”, I’ve heard the most outrageously lo-fi black metal and other things I have no words to describe - there’s always something out there that is, well, OUT THERE… LOL

Hah, well, I’ve got one of those cheap Casios in the attic somewhere, has little buttons for keys and can also be used as a calculator!

Classy stuff, and anyway I love Casio, always have done.  They even returned to making hardware synths recently which is just bloody awesome news, especially among all this iPad touch-screen crap lately.

Blackie Lawless of W.A.S.P. also used to pair the two up, though in his case, the instruments and effects were analogue (not that many uses for synths in oldschool metal), but recorded to hard disk. Here’s one of the two tracks of his you may ever have a chance to like… or not.

W.A.S.P. - Keep Holding On
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNMJSyxEbmU

Well, had it been analogue or digital, it’s not a good recording either way.  The song felt reasonably melodic.

You don’t know what you just did. This was my First Favourite Band Ever, as a pre-school kid. I’ve only had two or three cassettes, though - greatest hits and the like, so I’ve never heard this one until now. And it’s awesome. A whole new side of them, again. Thanks!!

You had a musical preference when you was a pre-school kid?
Bloody hell, I don’t recall I even had the means to play music when I was that age, nevermind have a preference :-D

Here, most epic pop song ever produced, the one that made me want a synthesizer (would even part with Lego for one):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRHetRTOD1Q

And I wish they’d stop promoting “Justin-Twatin-Bieber” under PSB titles, talk about a talent clash!

You know, if I ever get compared to Elvis, even if it is going to be you doing it in a negative sense, I will still take it as a great compliment!! Anyway, thanks. And if you ever do release a cassette, let me know, please - I’d love to buy one.

Thanks, but there’s no way I’m letting you buy a cassette off’ me, I’ll send you one on the house.  It’s something that will happen, because producing an album exclusively for a limited run of cassettes is something I’ve wanted to do for a while now.  It won’t be happening until I’ve got my living arrangements sorted though, life’s too much a pressure right now to enjoy such a project, and it’s something I thoroughly intend to enjoy so it will have to wait.  Eventually though, I’ll send you a cassette produced in a mobile home, somewhere off the beaten track in Spain.  I hope the quality will be the best you’ve ever heard from a cassette, although I cannot guarantee the same would be true of the music :-D

9 of 12