Digital Art Zone

3 of 24
Commerical Products forum gone?
Posted: 06 February 2013 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4966
Joined  2009-02-26

So, where are the threads that were once in commercial forum? Are they deleted or have they been moved somewhere?

Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 06 February 2013 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  152
Joined  2007-08-25
Spyro - 06 February 2013 05:38 AM

So, where are the threads that were once in commercial forum? Are they deleted or have they been moved somewhere?

They have been removed.
From http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewannounce/16350_508/
“What will happen to existing threads for products available at other sites?
The forum section that contained these threads will simply be closed and will no longer be available.”

Signature 

————-
2012: The world ended. We missed it. Maybe next time.
DVL_LVD @ ShareCG

Posted: 06 February 2013 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3021
Joined  2009-02-24

As far as I’m aware they were just being closed, not deleted.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 06 February 2013 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1801
Joined  2012-04-14
Spyro - 06 February 2013 05:38 AM

I think I read that threads aren’t deleted but moved somewhere that we can’t see.

On another note it’s disappointing that Daz also moved the Mec4D 15 years in business sale thread - which was about the sale of her products here and the Garibaldi beta testing thread - I believe the intention was to sell the product here.

Posted: 06 February 2013 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

That is such a shame.  Fair enough that the decision to restrict the commercial forum to daz vendors… But I think its a disappointment that all those threads were removed and not simply moved to daz discussion or Commons. Especially the WIP product threads. Some of us really shared a lot of work with each other there. It was really fun and we learned heaps there. :(

Signature 

Posted: 06 February 2013 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  228
Joined  2003-10-09

Yea I can understand why the economic situ and commercial rationale has bought this decision. Same with the recent change in freebie policy. However by removing a big element of the community, it’s also taking away a big chunk of what helps the big sites.

Usually the career path for most artists is get into poser/studio via freebies, make some freebies, then products. Much of which isn’t mainstream stuff, so if those artists can’t showcase their stuff, it means long term the big boys get less original material. Less innovation also gives the elitist morons more ammo as well, so really this is seriously counter productive for everyone involved.

So why just have one small forum that does allow debate of the little guys stuff and ban it totally elsewhere on site? Everyone wins then.

Signature 

100 of Freebies - http://www.sparkyworld.co.uk/

Posted: 06 February 2013 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-08-25

In my opinion, I don’t think it will be too long before we see a “baby DAZ” emerging from one of the smaller 3d content sites. As Daz evolves more away from what people were used too, someone else is going to have to fill that need with a community for sharing DS/Poser market alerts, WIPS, tutorials, WCIF, and a relaxed social structure that is less commercial, more community. It’s a great way for a store front to attract new customers and start picking up stray or ‘homeless’ vendors, and to begin building a business model much the same as DAZ used to be and not strongly affiliated with the larger content providers (Rendo, Daz, CP, RDNA, The site that shall not be named, etc). Not sure who will fill the void, though, so unfortunately it’s just a wait and see. :/

Signature 

————-
DVL_LVD @ ShareCG

Posted: 06 February 2013 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3370
Joined  2007-06-22

If there are to be no linking to other commercial sites, how will this effect the linking of free stuff on sites that are commercial. For example I know that for the freebie challenge you have to post links to where you got the item, if its a commercial site will this still be allowed?

Posted: 06 February 2013 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-08-25
scorpio64dragon - 06 February 2013 06:20 AM

If there are to be no linking to other commercial sites, how will this effect the linking of free stuff on sites that are commercial. For example I know that for the freebie challenge you have to post links to where you got the item, if its a commercial site will this still be allowed?

Very good question (I wish we had a +like here, LOL). Another question that may come up is: What about freebies that compete with DAZ / PA products, such as morph and clothing packages hosted at sites like ShareCG? It would seem reasonable that these also effect the promotion and sales of Daz store products.

Signature 

————-
DVL_LVD @ ShareCG

Posted: 06 February 2013 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  228
Joined  2003-10-09

In my opinion, I don’t think it will be too long before we see a “baby DAZ” emerging.

There was, it was called 3dCommune and theres also PA2. The “Guild” idea is also something that been around a while.
Last serious attempt was SMART with the likes of Meshbox, ontarget and philc.

Thing is while most folks want to support the indies, unfortunately because of time constraints and simplicity everyone communicates and shops at the big sites. It’s roughly similar with sellers as well, it’s very time consuming to adapt a product for each store. Different licences, promo sizes etc. Upload times.

It’s the same with advertising on twatter and facb*llox, folks don’t have time to visit all these places. 
Which is precisely why you’re right that we need a ‘one stop shop’ - which already exists here now.

Edited to add..

”..how will this effect the linking of free stuff on sites that are commercial.”

Well hopefully daz will be more community minded than the other place.
If your site sells anything you can’t link to any freebies held there.
You can only link to a totally free site.

Also what happens if the other site is ad supported like sharecg. Which will show products from other stores.

Signature 

100 of Freebies - http://www.sparkyworld.co.uk/

Posted: 06 February 2013 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Anyone know what will happen to Garibaldi Hair now? We had so much learning and tips, tricks and discussion on that thread. Not to mention our shared renders. All of that is vaulted now (If they didn’t delete all that). Not sure how the beta testing will work now that we dont have a working thread. So much lost :(

Signature 

Posted: 06 February 2013 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  614
Joined  2007-08-14

One of the active Garibaldi stylists (Mangey?) created a new thread in the Commons but it seems to have vanished.

Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

Posted: 06 February 2013 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Really? So even a render/discussion thread for a WIP product is not allowed? That really sucks :(

Signature 

Posted: 06 February 2013 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3016
Joined  2004-04-25
Spyro - 06 February 2013 07:10 AM

Anyone know what will happen to Garibaldi Hair now? We had so much learning and tips, tricks and discussion on that thread. Not to mention our shared renders. All of that is vaulted now (If they didn’t delete all that). Not sure how the beta testing will work now that we dont have a working thread. So much lost :(

If the creator is not a PA, the threads have gone the way of all other non-PA commercial threads.  Depending upon another commercial site is not the best of ideas.  About the only thing you can do now is get the creator to add a forum to his own site and try to recreate what has been removed.

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 06 February 2013 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2005-05-17

This sucks big time, so anyone new to the business and has maybe just come up with an idea for a product now has no sounding board to see if its something the community would like or want, now we can’t compare products existing and products ie, plugins for Studio that are a work in progress and may be just as good or better than another plug in that is already available in the Daz Market Place.  If its a new vendor who hasn’t published a product anywhere yet and doesn’t have a finished product to submit to the store to see if Daz would be interested in selling it, can’t even show the customers of Daz to get an idea if it is something they would like to purchase, talk about tunnel vision, may be time for me purchase Poser and move off in another direction.

3 of 24