Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Falloff controls for spotlights in DS4.5P?
Posted: 05 February 2013 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  533
Joined  2009-04-14

Are there controls for the penumbra (or edge falloff) for DS’s built-in spotlights? I can’t seem to find them, and I’d like to be able to adjust the softness/hardness at the edge of the cone. One of the books on computer graphics that I have also refers to it as the “spread angle”, but I’m thinkin’ their definition isn’t the same as DAZ’s implementation (which controls how wide or how narrow the beam is, and doesn’t seem to affect the hardness or softness of the cone of light at all). Thanks…

Posted: 05 February 2013 02:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1749
Joined  2005-12-31

The “shader lights” in studio (Look in Lights/DS Default) have fall off. Word of warning though, they are going to over ride any lights already in the scene unless you hold down the ctrl (in windows) button and select add in the dialog box. They are also going to be different looking in the scene. The render beautifully though. It is late and my mind has started turning to mush..your also going to need to check and see if shadows work. I can’t remember if they do or not and if they do it is only raytraced. You could set up your own lights in shader mixer with the proper shadows but you will need to do a search around the forum to find the instructions.

Posted: 05 February 2013 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
Khory - 05 February 2013 02:19 AM

The “shader lights” in studio (Look in Lights/DS Default) have fall off. Word of warning though, they are going to over ride any lights already in the scene unless you hold down the ctrl (in windows) button and select add in the dialog box. They are also going to be different looking in the scene. The render beautifully though. It is late and my mind has started turning to mush..your also going to need to check and see if shadows work. I can’t remember if they do or not and if they do it is only raytraced. You could set up your own lights in shader mixer with the proper shadows but you will need to do a search around the forum to find the instructions.

Excellent—thank you! I had totally forgotten about those lights, and actually, I don’t recall ever using them before. You’re right: they do have several settings that the other lights in DS don’t (including the decay settings I was looking for), and I’m curious why DAZ would go to the trouble of placing two different models of the same types of lights in DS. I would think it would make more sense to add these additional settings to the other lights (maybe under an “Advanced” tab, like with the Render settings).  Anyhow, now that I know about them, I’m gonna play with ‘em and see what they can do. Thanks again…

Posted: 05 February 2013 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2007-01-04

Those lights are script samples that were part of the Script Dev kit in DS3, which is now included in DS4 so everyone has access to them, unless they have altered them since earlier builds then these lights don’t cast shadows, you will need to edit their main file which is stored beside the main program files to get them to cast shadows.

Signature 

**shuffles of with a new headache** tongue wink

Posted: 05 February 2013 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  803
Joined  2007-01-08

Spread Angle in the standard spotlight does what you want. However it only affects light fuzziness. To affect shadow fuzziness you need to dial Shadow Softness as well. It’s true that it links angle and general softness appearance, so it can be tricky to use.
Fall-off on a spotlight is an indirect way of affecting fuzziness, and is a good work-around.

Posted: 05 February 2013 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1336
Joined  2006-03-14

The UberSpot product by Omnifreaker has falloff and image map support.  I highly recommend both those and the UberPoint product.

Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

Posted: 05 February 2013 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

I’ve got a shader spotlight loaded, but I can’t seem to find the falloff control :(

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 05 February 2013 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
Bejaymac - 05 February 2013 04:23 AM

Those lights are script samples that were part of the Script Dev kit in DS3, which is now included in DS4 so everyone has access to them, unless they have altered them since earlier builds then these lights don’t cast shadows, you will need to edit their main file which is stored beside the main program files to get them to cast shadows.

They definitely cast shadows, and have a number of shadow controls that the default lights don’t (including shadow color, shadow opacity, samples, etc.).

Posted: 05 February 2013 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
adamr001 - 05 February 2013 08:27 AM

The UberSpot product by Omnifreaker has falloff and image map support.  I highly recommend both those and the UberPoint product.

I have issues with OmniFreaker’s stuff and try to avoid using them any more than I have to. The documentation is nearly non-existent; what there is of it tends to be fairly arcane and difficult to decipher; and OmniFreaker himself is somewhat difficult to get a concise answer out of. Also, what seems to work in one version of DS seems not to work in another version. The only thing these script lights seem to lack (that I can see anyway) is that they can’t be mapped, which is a real shame.

Posted: 05 February 2013 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
wancow - 05 February 2013 10:43 AM

I’ve got a shader spotlight loaded, but I can’t seem to find the falloff control :(

If you set “cone outside” and “cone inside” to the same value, you get a perfectly defined circle of light, with a razor-sharp edge. Setting “cone inside” to anything less than “cone outside” gets you a degree of decay. There is also a slider labeled “decay” (with a default of 0 and a max of 2), which I so far haven’t had much luck figuring out how to use. Setting it 1 or 2 appears to give me a totally black scene, so I’m gonna have to play around with this some more. I thought it was the exponent for the light falloff, but that doesn’t explain the results I’m getting from it.

Posted: 05 February 2013 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

I am not showing any cones at all in my scene view or the parameters for the shader spotlight :(

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 05 February 2013 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
wancow - 05 February 2013 11:24 AM

I am not showing any cones at all in my scene view or the parameters for the shader spotlight :(

Select “dzSpotLight”. For a quick test, I create a plane primitive, x-rotate the light -90 degrees and y-translate it up about 300, and you should see a nice cone coming from the light with a pool of light on the plane below. Assuming you haven’t changed anything yourself and that DS is configured properly, the settings under the “Display” heading for the light should show be set for Edge Opacity, Ray Opacity, etc.
Or maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying. These aren’t volumetric lights, so you’re not going to see an actual cone of light in the render (and if there IS a setting for that, I haven’t found it yet).

Posted: 05 February 2013 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

nor am I seeing any sliders at all…  All I have is a shader spotlight that doesn’t seem to want to produce light, even though I have it set at 200% intensity.  There are no sliders at all for falloff, spread angle or anything.  The only light controls are shadows and intensity.

Under Display all I have are: visible in render, render priority, visible, selectable.

Nothing else… I’m using DS4.5.1.56

Did something change or what?  I’ve never actually tried these lights before.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 05 February 2013 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

interestingly, I have a sphere diameter in the DZPointlight shader light… still can’t get it to actually produce any light, though…

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 05 February 2013 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
wancow - 05 February 2013 11:58 AM

nor am I seeing any sliders at all…  All I have is a shader spotlight that doesn’t seem to want to produce light, even though I have it set at 200% intensity.  There are no sliders at all for falloff, spread angle or anything.  The only light controls are shadows and intensity.

Under Display all I have are: visible in render, render priority, visible, selectable.

Nothing else… I’m using DS4.5.1.56

Did something change or what?  I’ve never actually tried these lights before.

Yeah, I’m also using DS 4.5.1.56 (Win7 64-bit).

I kinda hate to suggest it, ‘cause you may have to redo any changes or customizations you’ve made, but you might try resetting your defaults to factory (Edit >> Preferences >> Interface >> Restore Factory Defaults), and see if that gets you back your light controls, or hit F3 to bring up the “Customize DAZ Studio” dialog, and see if you can find something in there that might be affecting your lights.

Sorry, that’s all I’ve got…

Posted: 05 February 2013 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1336
Joined  2006-03-14
Sarsifus - 05 February 2013 11:13 AM

I have issues with OmniFreaker’s stuff and try to avoid using them any more than I have to. The documentation is nearly non-existent; what there is of it tends to be fairly arcane and difficult to decipher; and OmniFreaker himself is somewhat difficult to get a concise answer out of. Also, what seems to work in one version of DS seems not to work in another version. The only thing these script lights seem to lack (that I can see anyway) is that they can’t be mapped, which is a real shame.

Documentation on UberPoints, I wrote and can be found here: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=160239

Only thing that differs for the spots are the cone controls.

Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

1 of 3