...one level of multires applied within Blender takes us up to 1504 faces, so similar to the imported OBJ. The basic model need a bit more work, but this looks like a nice and (relatively) easy way to do knots!
Cool. I couldn’t get Gordian Knot to run for me at all…
I had a few unsuccessful attempts to use it in the past - download, install it (or was it a standalone? It’s on my old laptop so I can’t recall), run it - nothing happens, no window, nothing.
A couple of months ago I downloaded it again, and for a change read the instructions too! So this time I also installed the DirectX End User Runtime from the Microsoft site as instructed here, bottom of the page - and that did the trick for me.
Whoops - already nearly a month gone but I’ve been spending all my time on other projects*!
Thanks for the reminder - I should be able to devote some time to them this week.
*I get distracted easily: I was doing the original knot for a helmet chinstrap, so I decided to finish that first; but then I realised that I could use a modified version of a script I already have to make the helmet automatically load correctly smart-propped to a large selection of figures; then I thought it’s time to put the data for the script in a separate file; then… etc… you get the idea…
Back on the knots now! A basic trefoil knot* using 120 faces. With one level of SubD (so 480 faces) it looks quite nice (although the SubD opens up some gaps. Still, that’s easy to fix by moving the outer loops toward the centre.
I just realised that I can use the same method I used for mail armour to create bump/displacement, normal, and AO maps for each knot. Another possible way to add knots to clothing perhaps? For the Blender-baked images in the bottom row of the attached piccy I tightened up the basic 120 face knot and then added a few levels of multires - just to see how it looks…
List of knots already started and how near completion each is:
- Double cord thumb-knot (as per first post): 90%
- Single cord thumb-knot: 90%
- Trefoil: 90%
- Bowline: 75%
- Simple bow/shoelace knot : 50%
- Reef knot: 50%
I’ll try to upload this batch by the weekend…
(suggestions for more knots still welcome)
*Not the sort of knot that’s easy to tie in the real world!
I am very, VERY impressed and offer my congratulations. If I may make a suggestion, a good Turkshead would - and does - find an enormous number of uses in decoration, etc., but it would tax your computer skills to the very limit. I tried once, starting with a simple sphere and texturing it, but my effort does not stand close scrutiny.
Once again, well done!
I have an idea that deleting all except a dozen or so of the key circular-profile edge-loops, and then connecting the remaining ones back together (skinning the edge-loops is Blender’s term for it iirc, not sure about Silo), will give a nice low-poly mesh that’ll be quite easy to tighten up…
As you may know, I use Blender. I’m using the similar technique too. It is hard to make a nice low-poly knot. Good work!
skipper25: Thanks Skipper. I googled ‘turks head knot’ and there’s quite a variety! I’m a great believer in the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) approach, and the simplest way to start seems to be a flat plait - the one on the attached image is really simple.
But from there It should then be relatively straightforward to double/triple each strand and make the cylindrical variants, and flat circular variants. Maybe include those in a second batch’
However, the toroidal and spherical variants… hmmm… a lot more thought…
Wendy: Glad I’m on the right track. I think I’ll include the simple plait in the first batch too - I can see it being handy for belts and stuff.
Amy: Thanks! A few years ago when I was new to all this, a ‘tutorial’ of yours was one of the things that got me started - so many, many thanks for that too!
I’ve been trying out a variety of techniques, and what works best for one knot may not be best for another. A bit of lateral thinking often helps (e.g. did you realise that a shoelace bow is actually a reef knot with one of the loose ends of each cord passed back through the existing loop?) , and a willingness to completely scrap one idea and start again from scratch (and to do that many times over!) is essential. Working with a low res model makes the starting all over again bit much, much easier!
These are the bases for the current models:
- For the bowline I’m still going with the cut-down output of the KnotTyer3D-generated OBJ (from the built-in Bowline.kt3 model). But I may still scrap it and start again from scratch!
- The double-cord thumbknot and trefoil were created by extruding a double/single 8-vertex circle and manually positioning/orienting each extrusion.
- The single-cord thumbknot was created by deleting one cord from the double-cord version and iteratively adjusting each circular edge loop in turn until it was tight again.
- The reef knot started as an eight sided torus with one circular edge loop ripped and extruded to give the two ends.
- For the shoelace bow (and after many false starts) I went with three cylinders poking through a torus as a starting point!
One thing common to all the knots is that once the basic shape is set up it’s an iterative process to tighten up the knot and fine tune the shape. I’m finding that I usually view the knot from all angles, pick the circular edge loop that looks worst, and adjust it’s position and rotation (about whatever axes are necessary) until it looks ‘better’. Then look again, pick the worst loop again (hopefully a different one!), etc.
Note: for all the current knots I’m deliberately modelling the whole cord. For many purposes this will probably be overkill (e.g. a shoelace bow will usually be tight up against the shoe, so the half-knot on the underside is unnecessary). So even simpler versions of the knots are possible, and perhaps even more useful.