3 of 15
What Is Going On With Carrara?
Posted: 03 February 2013 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1413
Joined  2011-01-03
DAZ_Spooky - 03 February 2013 03:21 PM

Oh and to specifically answer your earlier question, no, Install Manager is not the February Announcement. That falls under the “more coming that I can’t yet talk about” comment. smile

Animation of Garstor and Dartanbeck after reading this: JOY!

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 03 February 2013 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
DAZ_Spooky - 03 February 2013 03:24 PM

If you look it says Install Manager, not DAZ3D Install Manager. and DIM is better than what the other alternative worked out as, which was DIE or DIX. LOL.

Touche!

I recall a Canadian political party many years back that inadvertantly created the acronym CRAP. They didn’t last long… LOL

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

Posted: 03 February 2013 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1137
Joined  2007-10-17
Garstor - 03 February 2013 03:36 PM

If you look it says Install Manager, not DAZ3D Install Manager. and DIM is better than what the other alternative worked out as, which was DIE or DIX. LOL.

Touche!

I recall a Canadian political party many years back that inadvertantly created the acronym CRAP. They didn’t last long… LOL

In college, our dorm had a committee called the Student Housing Improvement Team.

Posted: 03 February 2013 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5930
Joined  2006-08-27
DAZ_Spooky - 03 February 2013 03:43 PM
Garstor - 03 February 2013 03:36 PM

Touche!

In college, our dorm had a committee called the Student Housing Improvement Team.

But being in College, and I’m assuming traditionally college aged, that acronym wasn’t really a surprise was it? wink

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 03 February 2013 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6400
Joined  2007-12-04
Garstor - 03 February 2013 03:31 PM

Oh and to specifically answer your earlier question, no, Install Manager is not the February Announcement. That falls under the “more coming that I can’t yet talk about” comment. smile

LOL - perfect! That’s us, Garstor… That’s us!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 03 February 2013 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

While on this subject, I should really add this.
One of the first things they teach you when it comes time to discuss “What software do you need in your toolkit?”, there is never an all encompassing list. More, there’s a list of suggestions that resemble the types of applications to try, and get used to. You are taught to get used to learning different software whenever possible, because no one software does it all.
Carrara can open a lot of stuff. It can, as intended, perform so much under its own interface, that my toolkit, as a Carrara owner, is much smaller that an artist whom uses Blender, for example. I buy plugins out of luxury, not necessity. Not the way it is with other applications. And most of my plugins are quite inexpensive. Not so with many other applications.

Enough of my rant, like this, though. I’m really not a big meanie, as most here can testify to.
Carrara, for me, is a blissful launching platform for rendering and animating the cool stuff that I buy here at Daz3d and Renderosity. Solomon is an excellent animator who uses 3DS MAX (latest version, with all of the bells and whistles), and is kind enough to post in our “Animations” forum, here at Daz3d. He is making this really cool Gorilla movie, and landed a nice job with an animation pose content company. He loves the new features of his software and uses it well - and even he says that - for using content the way I use it, Carrara is a great platform to stick with, but the new xxx(A Character Content and animation system within a more expensive version of Max) is really handy and fun to use. We’re talking about a huge price difference. I’ve tried Max and will never say that it is anything short of excellent. But when I took what I learned into Carrara - I actually enjoy Carrara more.

On the other note, about Daz3d, I’ve read articles regarding what Daz has done in Joe’s post. It wasn’t exactly as black and white and down right inhumane as Joe made it sound. Many of the people who used to work on the Daz payroll now willingly work instead as Daz Published Artists. The software thing was an outreach program to try and meet the faces of some new 3d artists, without them having to invest a cent. This was meant to be a much shorter period of time - as those softies cost a lot of money to develop. But they did it anyways, and decided to keep it going for another month. They must really like bringing in new artists because they’re still giving away some of the most popular 3d art software in the world!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 04 February 2013 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2003-11-28

For my 2cents (or 2pence) I came back to using Carrara and I’m a fully paid up owner of both Modo 601 and Vue Infinite 11, but for what I’m looking to do at the moment Carrara is my app of choice, I’ve added a few extra plugins that I didn’t have and I’m a happy bunny.

If some one isn’t happy with Carrara or has a downer on Daz then move on dude, learn Blender if your on a budget or stump up the cash for Lightwave if you earn a living doing 3d and be happy.

Over on the Modo forum people are now saying that if 701 do-sent have specific features then they’ll jump to LW11.5, so even Modo one of the most respected apps in the business is now starting to get some grumblings going on.

MY point is Carrara is a pro app but could use some extras (as can all 3d apps). Oh and it has one of the best and most helpful forums of any app out there.

Carrara 5 years behind LOL, most certainly not.

Posted: 04 February 2013 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15246
Joined  2003-10-09

This thread has been sharply trimmed to deal with a lack of civility (and we regret that the tooth fairy was collateral damage). We have no wish to prevent you from discussing the future of Carrara, and we are glad that you feel strongly about it, but the discussion will be conducted in a civil manner.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 04 February 2013 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Now click on the link above. Garstor wants to cheer everyone up here.

Signature 

Posted: 04 February 2013 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
Richard Haseltine - 04 February 2013 09:27 AM

This thread has been sharply trimmed to deal with a lack of civility (and we regret that the tooth fairy was collateral damage). We have no wish to prevent you from discussing the future of Carrara, and we are glad that you feel strongly about it, but the discussion will be conducted in a civil manner.

Sorry Richard. Truly.
Everybody already knows my positive outlook regarding Carrara already anyways, right? Feel free to get rid of that post above.

Signature 

Posted: 04 February 2013 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16765
Joined  2003-10-09

Thanks Dartan, done that.

Cute animation BTW.  cool smirk

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        November Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 04 February 2013 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
Dartanbeck - 04 February 2013 09:42 AM

It’s true! I prefer happy posts!

I didn’t rein in the chain on my inner beast this morning; apologies for that.

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 04 February 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
Garstor - 04 February 2013 10:55 AM
Dartanbeck - 04 February 2013 09:42 AM

It’s true! I prefer happy posts!

I didn’t rein in the chain on my inner beast this morning; apologies for that.

It’s tedious when the legitimate parts of a discussion are deleted too.

I didn’t even get an email notice saying “Your reasonable and informative post has been deleted because children can’t behave themselves…”

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 04 February 2013 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16765
Joined  2003-10-09

Sorry about that Holly.  The Forum Team is a bit stressed out at the moment, so it was quicker for one of us to just Post to the thread ( http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/16141/P30/#238598 ) rather than go searching for umpteen email addies and sending emails to you all. red face

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        November Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 04 February 2013 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
chohole - 04 February 2013 11:14 AM

Sorry about that Holly.  The Forum Team is a bit stressed out at the moment, so it was quicker for one of us to just Post to the thread ( http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/16141/P30/#238598 ) rather than go searching for umpteen email addies and sending emails to you all. red face

Actually, that would be a really useful forum feature and a snap (kinda) to implement with a decent database. I don’t know what software/database is used here though.

Sorry again Holly! Mea culpa!

Signature 

- Garstor

3 of 15