What Is Going On With Carrara?
Posted: 05 February 2013 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  409
Joined  2008-08-29
Dartanbeck - 05 February 2013 07:05 PM
Garstor - 05 February 2013 06:55 PM
dustrider - 05 February 2013 06:16 PM

PS: Dart - I really want some of what your taking, your just having way too much fun!!!

Rumour has it that the government is banning it soon… LOL

Perhaps, but not in Wisconsin! wink

Carrara just fills me with bliss. I mean, let me put it to you all like this:
Have you ever opened up Carrara and just tried to do something cool?
Worked, didn’t it?!!!

Carrara 8.5 ROCKS!!!

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I’m feeling a bit down: after ~14 hours of render time (and nearly complete) Carrara crashed taking the render with it. No problem, load it up and try again. Same result. The scene renders at non-final settings and resources aren’t a problem (it only needs ~2GB of RAM and I’ve got 32GB in this rig…). Frustrating. I’ll be trying again (on a different system). Wish I knew what was causing the problem…

Signature 

Swamp Living Never Felt So Good

Posted: 05 February 2013 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15
BlumBlumShub - 05 February 2013 04:03 PM

Imagine the fantastic art we’d have if people used the current version instead of whining about the next.

There is absolutely nothing wrong, whatsoever, with reasonable and rational speculation about future events, especially if they are based upon available facts and intelligent reasoning. Every business on the planet does it. Every investor in the market does it. EVERYONE does it, including you.

You don’t know what the future holds, nobody can or will tell you, so you take the best data available and try to form a conclusion. You own a burger stand, you don’t know how much meat to buy for next week, so you take facts about past customers, the economic situation, the traffic you’ve seen into your store in the past, etc, and you come up with a reasonable guess.

Why so many here find that so distasteful when it comes to software is beyond my comprehension. And why so many get so upset when anyone speculates about anything that isn’t sunshine and lollipops is also beyond my comprehension. Is it that painful to even CONSIDER things that might sound slightly negative to the way you want the world to be? And to degrade any speculation as “whining” and all the other nasty descriptions people lob at the “naysayers” is just mind boggling.

But I suppose that’s the Carrara Forum…

Posted: 05 February 2013 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2007-03-03

Personally, I love Carrara.  Are there things I wish were updated?  Sure.  However, I enjoy working with it.  Something about 3D is magical to me when I bring the ideas in my head to life.  Carrara does that.

That being said, I do hope whatever this month’s announcement is has been worth the wait.

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

“I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me, or am I even in its mind at all?”
- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 05 February 2013 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2009-03-09
thoromyr - 05 February 2013 07:49 PM

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I’m feeling a bit down: after ~14 hours of render time (and nearly complete) Carrara crashed taking the render with it. No problem, load it up and try again. Same result. The scene renders at non-final settings and resources aren’t a problem (it only needs ~2GB of RAM and I’ve got 32GB in this rig…). Frustrating. I’ll be trying again (on a different system). Wish I knew what was causing the problem…

There are some scenes I have that seem to crash not because of memory, but computational complexity: too many layers of shadows, transparencies, details, and such.

Try rendering in pieces by sticking a matte black plane in front of the camera: render the part that worked, covering up the part that didn’t (plus a little bit).  Then cover up everything BUT the part that didn’t and try again.  Keep chopping it up until you either come to a part until it works or you find a part that just won’t render.

Signature 

Come visit my store!

http://www.daz3d.com/fenric
http://fenric.com/wordpress/store/

Posted: 05 February 2013 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
ManStan - 05 February 2013 04:23 PM
BlumBlumShub - 05 February 2013 04:03 PM

Imagine the fantastic art we’d have if people used the current version instead of whining about the next.

Imagine the beautiful dynamic clothing animations I could have done, if DAZ hadn’t borked collada and left it that way with no intention of fixing it.

I finally downloaded the Mac version of MarvelousDesigner…! It’s looking awesome…. If it’s a choice between prefab Optitex and MD… I’m going with the one where I have creative control….

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 05 February 2013 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07
holly wetcircuit - 05 February 2013 10:16 PM

I finally downloaded the Mac version of MarvelousDesigner…! It’s looking awesome…. If it’s a choice between prefab Optitex and MD… I’m going with the one where I have creative control….

But those aren’t dynamic, and aren’t going to be in carrara.

Posted: 06 February 2013 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
ManStan - 05 February 2013 11:55 PM
holly wetcircuit - 05 February 2013 10:16 PM

But those aren’t dynamic, and aren’t going to be in carrara.

Yeah. Neither is Optitex. Your point?

Signature 

Posted: 06 February 2013 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

And why do we have little green boxes under our avatars…? Is this to indicate how many times we’ve been banned from the forums or something?

Signature 

Posted: 06 February 2013 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4790
Joined  2004-07-01
holly wetcircuit - 06 February 2013 12:39 AM

And why do we have little green boxes under our avatars…? Is this to indicate how many times we’ve been banned from the forums or something?

no its if you been good or not wink

Posted: 06 February 2013 02:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  296
Joined  2008-05-23
holly wetcircuit - 06 February 2013 12:39 AM

It is based on the number of posts.  There is a thread somewhere called the little green box collection thread, or something along that line.

ncamp

Posted: 06 February 2013 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 116 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1388
Joined  2011-01-03
Dartanbeck - 05 February 2013 07:05 PM

Have you ever opened up Carrara and just tried to do something cool?
Worked, didn’t it?!!!

USUALLY!!!

wink

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 06 February 2013 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 117 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
thoromyr - 05 February 2013 07:49 PM

Does the crash give you any extra information? Carrara’s error-handling is pathetic (sorry Dartanbeck, I’d even hold off on my 3D enhancements wishlist if only DAZ would provide robust data when the app crashes…I guess SQL Server has spoiled me too much).

Even if there is nothing on-screen in front of your eyeballs, there might be a crash dump (I’m assuming you are using Windows here) file that can provide some clues.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

Posted: 06 February 2013 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 118 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
Kodiak3D - 05 February 2013 08:55 PM

Personally, I love Carrara.  Are there things I wish were updated?  Sure.  However, I enjoy working with it.  Something about 3D is magical to me when I bring the ideas in my head to life.  Carrara does that.

Amen brother!

Kodiak3D - 05 February 2013 08:55 PM

That being said, I do hope whatever this month’s announcement is has been worth the wait.

As do I. As do I. It doesn’t even have to be mushroom cloud big—I’ve got my bar set low just in case. But at this point, anything would be welcomed news.

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 06 February 2013 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 119 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
Fenric - 05 February 2013 09:10 PM

There are some scenes I have that seem to crash not because of memory, but computational complexity: too many layers of shadows, transparencies, details, and such.

This is the part about the lousy error handling that really grinds my gears. There is no way in hell that “computational complexity” should crash a computer. Ever.

Bugs. Yes. Not correctly handling return values, overflowing a stack, etc. All of those things crash away…but the math itself on any render ought to be flawless.

Try rendering in pieces by sticking a matte black plane in front of the camera: render the part that worked, covering up the part that didn’t (plus a little bit).  Then cover up everything BUT the part that didn’t and try again.  Keep chopping it up until you either come to a part until it works or you find a part that just won’t render.

Someone offered the same advice to me about a month ago. I believe there was a past issue of C3DE that covered the technique.

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 06 February 2013 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 120 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2009-03-09
Garstor - 06 February 2013 06:41 AM

This is the part about the lousy error handling that really grinds my gears. There is no way in hell that “computational complexity” should crash a computer. Ever.

Bugs. Yes. Not correctly handling return values, overflowing a stack, etc. All of those things crash away…but the math itself on any render ought to be flawless.

I didn’t mean to give quite that impression: it is very likely that the trouble is in the memory management.  They implemented a COM style reference counting system, and that is very difficult to get right.  I’ve never pinpointed an exact cause, just certain strongly iterative operations tend to go unstable - likely either a reference going to zero when it should not have, or lingering on when it should have been collected and then disrupting the next iteration.

The error handling, however, is unforgiveable:  “An Error has Occurred” is not something anyone should ever have to look at.  There’s not even a log to go check.

Signature 

Come visit my store!

http://www.daz3d.com/fenric
http://fenric.com/wordpress/store/

8 of 15