Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
madisonx’s Renders
Posted: 09 February 2013 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

This is looking good. My first try would be just to up the intensity of the lights of the candles you have now. Not much because you would like it to still be candle lit but I think it might work for you.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 18 February 2013 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2010-12-22

Thanks for the continued feedback.

Here is a new attempt, same scene (slightly reworked for scale) but in daylight. Trying to achieve the look of a room lit by sunlight through the windows. The room should be fairly bright, but with plenty of nice dark corners away from the windows.

Tried a few methods, not having much luck. I have used a UE light set from Lantios, with spotlights focused on some of the windows to represent sunlight coming through. I am having trouble with the UE though…when I just run it with the spotlights, I get a nice mix between the lit windows and the shadowed spaces between them. When I add UE for detail, I tend to just wash the whole thing out.

I wish I could just put a ‘Sun’ the the sky and get the effect I want, but I can’t seem to figure that out. Maybe I should do a light plane that covers each window or something? Hm…

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Image Attachments
Tavern_Day_01.jpg

Posted: 18 February 2013 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

With Lat lights do this. OPEN them in your sceen tab, you will normaly see one or more Normal lights and the UE. Select the Normal light and adjust it in the Pramaters tab as normal. The UE lights work as Shaders so do this. Select it and open it in your Surfaces tab. Then you can also adjust it pretty much like any other light.

For a Single SUN just Create a Distant Light and adjust it. Tip LOOKing Through a LIGHT helps it is done in the same way as looking through a different camera.

I hope this helps you some.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 19 February 2013 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-22

Thanks for the tips, I will try that out.

And now for something completely different…a character portrait!

I think this has turned out ok, especially considering that it rendered very fast. I’m sure I could pump up raytracing and some other settings, but I wanted to keep the render time fast.

Anyone have any advice for improvements here?

Thanks!

Image Attachments
Portrait_01.jpg

Posted: 23 February 2013 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-22

Here is a new version of the portrait. I changed the skin to Bree so that I can have a no-eyebrow option (wish that was standard with all skins!), upgraded to Interjection skin and eye shaders, copied the hair settings from Reby Elite hair, and pushed raytracing from 0 to 1,

Certainly an improvement, but I went from 10 minutes to 3 hours! Worth it? What do you think?

Image Attachments
Player_Portrait_Female_Long_Brown.jpg

Posted: 28 February 2013 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-12-22

Here is an updated version of the same portrait, minus hair for render speed. Also upped the render settings a bit.

I actually kind of like the last render more, I think. Part of that is the lighting, which is a bit brighter and harsher in the more recent render.

Anyone see room for further improvement?

Image Attachments
Portrait_Test_03.jpg

2 of 2