Digital Art Zone

62 of 75
Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready
Posted: 12 February 2013 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 916 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4544
Joined  2004-08-11

In the last day or so logging in via the DIM has been very hit and miss.  They must have allot of folks logged in and downloading.  When I did get hooked in yesterday evening, finally, I was only able to download on product at a time.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 12 February 2013 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 917 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1372
Joined  0
cridgit - 12 February 2013 10:04 AM
Kharma - 12 February 2013 09:52 AM

I think some of files state that there is only one installer for both studio and poser which makes that easier…but for other products I will just have to trial and error I can never remember if I need both files.  IIRC for some of Lisa’s botanicals I needed both such as heart of the matter and remember how to fly…others not so sure as I haven’t installed too much at this point

While DIM goes a very long way to making content easier to install/update, this problem renders it useless for me, and no doubt for many other people.

That was exactly the point I was trying to make a few posts up - if I have to go by memory or check every product by hand to know whether I need to download a different install file, then I’m no better off than today because I have to check everything manually. If this is where DIM ends up, then DAZ would have thrown away a tool with incredible potential.

cridgit, I can understand your lack of enthusiasm for that part of having to check the files, but on the other hand I do find it a much easier and painless install…no click click click on next, accept,next…I think as I find I need support files for poser for some items I will be able to set DIM to poser files, pick and choose the ones needed, download,install…done! smile

Signature 

“If you get a chance….Take it!  If it changes your life….Let it!.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.”

Posted: 12 February 2013 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 918 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-12-07
Kharma - 12 February 2013 10:50 AM

cridgit, I can understand your lack of enthusiasm for that part of having to check the files, but on the other hand I do find it a much easier and painless install…no click click click on next, accept,next…I think as I find I need support files for poser for some items I will be able to set DIM to poser files, pick and choose the ones needed, download,install…done! smile

That’s a fair comment. I guess waiting so long for this tool has made me want to get to 100% overnight.

You’re right - the download and install process is an absolute breeze compared to before. Maybe they’ll also help us not have to remember or check which files we need.

Thanks for the reminder grin

Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 12 February 2013 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 919 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5636
Joined  2005-04-16
Kharma - 12 February 2013 10:50 AM
cridgit - 12 February 2013 10:04 AM
Kharma - 12 February 2013 09:52 AM

I think some of files state that there is only one installer for both studio and poser which makes that easier…but for other products I will just have to trial and error I can never remember if I need both files.  IIRC for some of Lisa’s botanicals I needed both such as heart of the matter and remember how to fly…others not so sure as I haven’t installed too much at this point

While DIM goes a very long way to making content easier to install/update, this problem renders it useless for me, and no doubt for many other people.

That was exactly the point I was trying to make a few posts up - if I have to go by memory or check every product by hand to know whether I need to download a different install file, then I’m no better off than today because I have to check everything manually. If this is where DIM ends up, then DAZ would have thrown away a tool with incredible potential.

Just plain zip files would be easier than the old installers!

Dana

Signature 

Old post count: 7511

Posted: 12 February 2013 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 920 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8697
Joined  2007-11-06

I’ve run into situations where the data telling DIM whether you need to download the Poser version or just the DS version is incorrect, and reported a them when I have, but for the most part I’m finding the products tagged correctly.  Given the number of products involved (I believe they said they’d done over 10000 of the 15000+ products in the store, and that was a few weeks ago), I’m not surprised there are some mistakes.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 12 February 2013 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 921 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2011-05-27

After uninstalling all of my DAZ content and then redownloading using the Install Manager, DS now tells me on startup that it cannot find the Genesis figure. 

If I try to load a blank Genesis template manually, I get instead a blocky figure.

When I ran the Install Manager, I didn’t play with any of the settings, just let it do what it thought best.

Anyone else experience this?  Any suggestions? 

Edit:  Just tried to load Michael 5, and I receive an error saying the Michael 5 dsf does not exist.  Was fine just yesterday before running the install manager.

Posted: 12 February 2013 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 922 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8697
Joined  2007-11-06

Did you install Genesis Starter Essentials with DIM?

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 13 February 2013 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 923 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2003-10-09
djmulcahy - 12 February 2013 10:35 PM

After uninstalling all of my DAZ content and then redownloading using the Install Manager, DS now tells me on startup that it cannot find the Genesis figure. 

If I try to load a blank Genesis template manually, I get instead a blocky figure.

When I ran the Install Manager, I didn’t play with any of the settings, just let it do what it thought best.

Edit:  Just tried to load Michael 5, and I receive an error saying the Michael 5 dsf does not exist.  Was fine just yesterday before running the install manager.

If you not changed any of the settings, so you will need to map DAZ Studio to the default path where DIM installed the stuff, which is located at C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\My DAZ 3D Library

Posted: 13 February 2013 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 924 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2006-05-09

I have probably missed it while going through this long thread.

I was checking and some bundles I have don’t seem to have the products in DIM.  Like the Dinosaur Bundle, there were several others I checked and not there.  Some were there.  Are the bundles still a WIP for getting everything there?

I am still a bit torn after spending a year getting my content re-organized.  I use Carrara Primarily (so the Content Management is still in Flux there). I had such an issue remembering what went to what with such.. diverse.. folder naming systems.  Right now if I want to find an animal, or a pose for V4, or a clothing for M3 its fast and simple.  It would also be nice if the filters would be expanded such as Clothing V4.  Or have Images so I could browse like I can in 3rd party database applications.

Signature 

Carrara Cafe

Posted: 13 February 2013 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 925 ]
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2006-02-08

Quick observations.
1.  Program needs Pause/Resume button.
2.  Auto resume failed download.
3.  Automatically sign back into account after being disconnected.
But still looks great to me.
Thanks Daz

Posted: 13 February 2013 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 926 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4544
Joined  2004-08-11
ghevey - 13 February 2013 08:47 PM

Quick observations.
1.  Program needs Pause/Resume button.
2.  Auto resume failed download.
3.  Automatically sign back into account after being disconnected.
But still looks great to me.
Thanks Daz

Agree on all points!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 13 February 2013 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 927 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1020
Joined  2003-10-09

I’d really like to see a column added that shows the SKU.

It may not be necessary when we’re all set up, but now it’s almost imperative. I’m comparing the product names with directories of installed exe files with the SKU in front. It often takes several tries to get the product to show up in the DIM (I may misspell a word, or there is an ‘and’ or if I enter only one word in search it is included in several files and I miss it, and ‘sku::’ and the number isn’t that easy to type with my eyes and my dark keyboard. I’m a touch typist but my keyboard spacing is odd with no raised dots to let me feel where ‘home’ is and I have to wait for my eyes to adjust from the bright screen to the black keyboard.

Posted: 14 February 2013 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 928 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2011-05-27
MBusch - 13 February 2013 01:14 AM
djmulcahy - 12 February 2013 10:35 PM

If you not changed any of the settings, so you will need to map DAZ Studio to the default path where DIM installed the stuff, which is located at C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\My DAZ 3D Library

Thanks! 
I didn’t see this part in any tutorial, so just figured everything went where it was supposed to go.  smile
Everything seems to work now!

Posted: 14 February 2013 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 929 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6625
Joined  2005-08-15

That information is in at least one of the Youtube tutorials that I watched.

DAZ Studio (any version) has always needed to know the path to your content, before it can be displayed.

Posted: 14 February 2013 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 930 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2331
Joined  2007-12-13

62 pages and not all good,

I think I’m going to keep my eggs out of this particular basket. Just so long as we can continue to do things in the conventional way I’ll be happy. I don’t bother with the CMS or smart content and Studio runs like a dream.

I’m definitely of the ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!’ mindset where this is concerned. Please give us the choice to carry on as we have been….

CHEERS!

62 of 75