|    +—-Support
|    \—-Textures
+—-ReadMe’s
\—-Templates

X Marks the Spot Accessories.URL
X Marks The Spot Map.URL
X Marks the Spot.jpg

———————————————————

In the example above, having a content folder allows me to separate everything that goes into the library, vs items that are associated but *do not* go into the library.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 07 February 2013 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 662 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2006-08-24

My turn for a couple of questions which are close cousins, two for DIM and one for Studio/CM.

First, since I’m in the crowd that abhors the defaults…I should be aiming DIM’s install path at either a Content or My Library folder, correct?  i.e., E:\DAZ 3D\Studio 4\My Library\

Pretty sure about this but I’m having some sorting issues and I should have been asleep a long time ago.

Second, I don’t use Poser.  I don’t want to use Poser.  Ever again, lol.  Should all the standard content be flagged for Studio, such that I can un-check Poser in DIM’s Show Download list and not miss anything I might want?

Finally, given that I never plan to need files to work inside Poser…will it bother Studio terribly if I move everything from My Library to Content, (or vice-versa) so I don’t have four listings in the root of my content browser?  Things like Genesis may need reinstalling…I could deal with that, but I’m tired of having:

DAZ Studio Formats: My Library
DAZ Studio Formats: Content
Poser Formats: Content
Poser Formats: My Library

The forum search is not helping me find the answer to this.  I’m sure it’s not because nobody’s talked about it yet…

Signature 

“I fight for the Elves.”

Posted: 07 February 2013 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 663 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

You cannot move Poser content to the DS content area or vice versa. My solution as shown in the example above is to mimic the two trees and combine them using catagories. This however is a lot of work, does not work with the DIM, and destroys metadata, so it is only functional if one doesn’t mind those very substantial side effects.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 07 February 2013 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 664 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  521
Joined  2006-07-28

Oh now!  I didn’t think to rename the Content folder to the name of the folder where my Runtime is located.

That might make having that stupid Content folder in the zip easier to live with.

Cliff Bowman - 07 February 2013 07:12 AM

I think maybe it was too confusing, as my explanation confuises even me - so here’s a piccy. Here I have a “Cliff Bowman” folder with 10 runtimes in it, each named after a product.

The “Content” folder is changed to the name of the content library that I want to install to - for example, “Toon Teeth” or “Piggy Poses”. These library folders contain the Runtime structures as illustrated by the Toon Teeth example.

However, by having the “Content” folder in the zip files, DAZ make it easier for them to automatically install things in the “Cliff Bowman” folder, as it’s clearly seperated from anything within the “Content” folder.

What they might need to install there I’m not sure, but that’s my reading of the need for the “Content” folder. They might also be able to install things from above the “Content” folder to the “Program Files” folder.

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Satira Capriccio on deviantART

Posted: 07 February 2013 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 665 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  548
Joined  2007-08-14

One reason why the “Content” folder is good to have within the product archive is that in the future DAZ may want to put something besides content into the packages.

Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

Posted: 07 February 2013 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 666 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-08-24

Cliff, given your sorting method, other than installing by hand, you have the option of selecting each content folder in the DIM settings prior to installing that particular item.  It may not be ideal and I’m not sure how much easier it is for the installation, but I think that would preserve DIM’s database continuity and allow you to use the program for uninstalls.

Signature 

“I fight for the Elves.”

Posted: 07 February 2013 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 667 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-08-24
Gedd - 07 February 2013 07:25 AM

You cannot move Poser content to the DS content area or vice versa. My solution as shown in the example above is to mimic the two trees and combine them using catagories. This however is a lot of work, does not work with the DIM, and destroys metadata, so it is only functional if one doesn’t mind those very substantial side effects.

I know I’ll still have the two categories in Studio.  I’m just wondering if I can merge the file folders in order to cut the list from four to two:

DAZ Studio Formats: Content
Poser Formats: Content

Signature 

“I fight for the Elves.”

Posted: 07 February 2013 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 668 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2003-10-09
Satira Capriccio - 07 February 2013 07:25 AM

Oh now!  I didn’t think to rename the Content folder to the name of the folder where my Runtime is located.

That might make having that stupid Content folder in the zip easier to live with.

Gedd pointed out another way of dealing with the issue on the last page, and yet another way would be to rename the folder that you want to install to to “Content”, unzip, then rename it back (to “Toon Teeth” in my example from above).

Which way will be best will probably be down to each individual, but my aim here isn’t to diss DIM but to find out how to iron out any wrinkles I - or others - may encounter.

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 07 February 2013 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 669 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
VoltisArt - 07 February 2013 07:30 AM

Cliff, given your sorting method, other than installing by hand, you have the option of selecting each content folder in the DIM settings prior to installing that particular item.  It may not be ideal and I’m not sure how much easier it is for the installation, but I think that would preserve DIM’s database continuity and allow you to use the program for uninstalls.

Well I don’t sort my content to QUITE that degree except for stuff by myself or beta/test stuff from other PAs - but that’s certainly the style of content sorting I have - I have a Mil1n2 library, a Mil3 library, a SetsnProps librart, a toon library and so on.

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 07 February 2013 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 670 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  987
Joined  2012-01-29
belovedalia - 07 February 2013 05:23 AM

Does anyone know, can this manager be used to DOWNLOAD only, onto a specified location?
At some point I need to do a complete backup of all my Daz files.

back to “following my heart” browsing

Of course. You can download only, you just have to un-click the option “install after download”. And you can edit and change the path to which the program downloads, no problem here.

Posted: 07 February 2013 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 671 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13447
Joined  2003-10-09

Things that don’t go in a content directory would be shaders and plugins - they go in the application folder, in part - or Photoshop brushes - go in the PS application folder by default, though can be placed elsewhere. At the moment DIM doesn’t even handle those, but if it did it would need them segregated I suppose.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 07 February 2013 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 672 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2005-09-14
Tastiger - 07 February 2013 01:06 AM
islandgurl31 - 07 February 2013 12:38 AM

Sorry for sounding dense but what is a *Symbolik Link*? As I would like to move the download folder onto an external drive where I keep all my stuff backed up on grin. Thank you and take care grin.

You don’t need a symbolic link to have your download folder on an external drive - just set your download folder to your preferred location.
You will find the settings in settings/ downloads - see below

However if you want to enter the world of sym links - here is a guide

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Thank you so much Tastiger grin. I get easily confused….lol.

Posted: 07 February 2013 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 673 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  371
Joined  2006-12-10

Darnit. Got the newsletter about the Freebies celebrating the release of DIM. Didn’t care so much about the free stuff, but I have 1000s of content .exe and .zip files that I have to re-install after a hard drive crash. Spent a good 15 minutes looking for where to download DIM before I saw the “Invitations are being sent out today and tomorrow” line… :(

Signature 

Feel free to read my 3D Tutorial collection, focusing mainly on the technical aspects of 3D rendering.

Posted: 07 February 2013 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 674 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Double-check your inbox anyway for a post with the title “Managing Your Content Has Never Been Easier” - I think DAZ started sending earlier than they expected to.

Cheers,

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 07 February 2013 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 675 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  371
Joined  2006-12-10

No such luck. I’ll just have to wait for my invite. Patiently…......

Signature 

Feel free to read my 3D Tutorial collection, focusing mainly on the technical aspects of 3D rendering.

45 of 75