Digital Art Zone

26 of 75
Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready
Posted: 04 February 2013 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 376 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1004
Joined  2007-10-17
Richard Haseltine - 04 February 2013 08:39 AM

The DIM will do it for you - presumably you have to tell it your login details so it can access your account, then it handles getting the file list and downloading the files you want.

100% Correct

Posted: 04 February 2013 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 377 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-17
Kerya - 04 February 2013 01:24 AM
DAZ_Spooky - 03 February 2013 12:51 PM
Alisa Uh-Lisa - 03 February 2013 11:37 AM
DAZ_Spooky - 03 February 2013 10:52 AM
Kerya - 03 February 2013 02:38 AM

Question (and thank you Spooky for your patience - and for being here and answering!):
If I download everything, install to a fake runtime and then delete that fake runtime, at least the content in that folder - will the Install manager tell me then about updated products?

Are you keeping all the zip files?

Is this a yes or a no???  What does it have to do with keeping zip files and if it does, where do you have to keep them?? I keep all my zip/exe files but not in one folder - will that be necessary?

The answer makes a difference as to how Install Manager sees the files.

If you don’t have the files either downloaded and in the download directory or installed, by Install Manager, then it will give you a list of files that you don’t have installed or downloaded, from your account in “ready to download.” It won’t show any as updates if you don’t have the files in the first place, they are simply ready to download.  If you have files downloaded but not installed it will show those in “ready to install.”  If you download the files but remove the zips, they are no longer ready to Install, so they go back to ready to download. If you have install manager install them, they go into “Installed.”

Install manager marks anything that it has installed, which has an update, as having an update in your ready to download list. If there is something that you have downloaded and it is ready to install but there is an update, that product will come out of the ready to install list, and go back into the ready to download list. So while it will tell you there is something new to download, it doesn’t actually mark it as an update, because it isn’t, as far as Install manager is concerned, an update to what you have installed.

So the answer is yes and no. If you have the zips in the download directory and have downloaded all of them, it will let you know you have new files to download, whether Install manager installed them or not.

THANK YOU!
(I should have gone on reading ...)
That will work for me!

Chris clarified further later. If Install Manager isn’t the one moving files then the manifest file still thinks it has the files, so it doesn’t know you got rid of the zips. Note this is not recommended or supported as Install Manager can get confused. smile

Posted: 04 February 2013 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 378 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2012-02-12

I’m trying to figure out how to best use DIM for me, and have a few questions after reading this thread.

1) From what I gather, it’s recommended to use DIM to download and reinstall everything to a clean location. I’m theorizing that this has to do with the fact that most people don’t have the latest versions/updates of all of their products from DAZ3D. So installing everything to the current (not clean) location could lead to extra files, etc. Is that correct? If I made sure that every product I have is up to date, would it be then okay to reinstall everything over my current DAZ3D Studio location?

2) If I do install everything to a clean location, will I be able to transport over my user data? What I’ve read suggest yes, as long as files weren’t moved around on the OS, etc, before categorization was done. If this doesn’t work, then I’ll definitely want to figure out a way to reinstall everything into my current DAZ3D Studio location.

3) I’ve read a little bit in the threads that this install manager will allow us to easily create our own metadata. Is that correct? My main problem with metadata is that I want everything for M4 and V4 to show up when I have Genesis selected, since we can use autofit with Genesis. Will we be able to make that happen with this new metadata? Also, I like to have all of my shoes in one category, etc. Will it be possible to use DIM to make that kind of detailed metadata? (I would be surprised if the answer to that one is yes, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. I’d love to have something less time-intensive than creating my own categories, but I do like being able to group things together, like shoes, pants, shirts, etc.)

Thanks.

Posted: 04 February 2013 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 379 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  300
Joined  2005-09-30

Just out of curiosity, will the announcement of the availability of the new DIM be made in the Commons or in the Members Only forum?

Posted: 04 February 2013 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 380 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  435
Joined  2012-10-15
sikeus - 04 February 2013 10:10 AM

I’m trying to figure out how to best use DIM for me, and have a few questions after reading this thread.

1) From what I gather, it’s recommended to use DIM to download and reinstall everything to a clean location. I’m theorizing that this has to do with the fact that most people don’t have the latest versions/updates of all of their products from DAZ3D. So installing everything to the current (not clean) location could lead to extra files, etc. Is that correct? If I made sure that every product I have is up to date, would it be then okay to reinstall everything over my current DAZ3D Studio location?

This issue you brought up is the biggest one, but not the only one.  If you install over a current content folder, you also need to run a special action in Install Manager to fix its uninstall capabilities post install of all your content.  See the documentation when its up for more details on this action.

I
2) If I do install everything to a clean location, will I be able to transport over my user data? What I’ve read suggest yes, as long as files weren’t moved around on the OS, etc, before categorization was done. If this doesn’t work, then I’ll definitely want to figure out a way to reinstall everything into my current DAZ3D Studio location.

The key for the user data is the file’s relative path and file name—its path relative to the mapped directory.  As long as it is still there the user data will load just fine.

I
3) I’ve read a little bit in the threads that this install manager will allow us to easily create our own metadata. Is that correct? My main problem with metadata is that I want everything for M4 and V4 to show up when I have Genesis selected, since we can use autofit with Genesis. Will we be able to make that happen with this new metadata? Also, I like to have all of my shoes in one category, etc. Will it be possible to use DIM to make that kind of detailed metadata? (I would be surprised if the answer to that one is yes, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. I’d love to have something less time-intensive than creating my own categories, but I do like being able to group things together, like shoes, pants, shirts, etc.)

Thanks.

DIM is not a metadata tool.  It just installs it.  Studio however has all the tools necessary to do what you describe.

Posted: 04 February 2013 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 381 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-17
Mari-Anne - 04 February 2013 10:17 AM

Just out of curiosity, will the announcement of the availability of the new DIM be made in the Commons or in the Members Only forum?

That is a Marketing call. smile I guess that one is wait and see. smile

Posted: 04 February 2013 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 382 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  642
Joined  2011-03-26
DAZ_Spooky - 03 February 2013 10:55 AM
Richard Haseltine - 03 February 2013 09:40 AM

If you delete the folder or its contents after installing the content and before starting DS then the new items won’t be added to the queue and you won’t be prompted to process them.

Not sure what you are answering here Richard.

With Install manager the metadata is written directly to the database as part of the install process. For Carrara users this means no more opening DAZ Studio to populate your Smart Content tab. For DS users that means no more delay on open to process new content.

I tried to follow this thread as good as I can. I understand that there are users who do not use metadata at all.

For me as someone who invested two months to categorize my content with “categories”, “file types”, “compatibility bases”, “scene IDs” and “Tags” it is a huge deal how the DIM now does not seem to give the user the option to choose if metadata is installed or not.

For new products I will want the official DAZ metadata.
And I also appreciate the “mini-metadata” added for old products that do not have proper metadata.

But for many reason when I spent hours to customize the metadata of a product I do not want those customizations just to be overwritten by the DIM without giving me an option to say stop.

I will certainly want to install the updates to the product. But I may not want to install any updates to the product metadata if I allready customized it myself.

Before this could just be done by choosing not to process the metadata added to the queue at startup. How is this done now?

- - -

I have two questions:

Question 1:

Is there in the current version of the DIM really no option at all included to prevent the DIM from writting directly to the database?

Question 2:

If the DIM is writing directly to the database are there still any files placed in /runtime/support?

- - -

Currently I am under the following impression:

The only way to prevent that customizations made to products are kept is to go to the “Product Library” “Content DB Editor” and export the .dsa and .dsx files to /runtime/support and make a backup in another location that needs to be reimported AFTER the DIM has finished installing.

The normal “User Data” is not enough to make sure those changes are not lost. Exporting and Importing needs to be done on a “product” level.

- - -

In any way I spent a lot of thought on the consequences for metadata management with and without the help of the DIM.

To be able to use all the useful functions of the DIM I am currently preparing to reinstall my whole runtime once again.

I would like to do the reinstallation the way DAZ officially suggests and hope DAZ can provide a complete guide how to do that especially for users that allready created a large library of customized metadata that I would like to call “User Product Data”.

“User Product Data” is a term I would like to introduce for metadata “products” that were customized by the user and then exported as .dsa and .dsx files to /runtime/support from the “Product Library” using the “Content DB Editor”.

The “User Data” as introduced by DAZ is a collection saved in just one file of all changes a user made that are NOT saved in a “product” and exported.

Currently I am very worried that DIM and also the current DAZ metadata management tools are mainly designed towards the users that just use “User Data” as a quick way to customize content.

To make full use of the CMS and all the metadata tools I am strongly convinced one has to be able to make use of the “User Product Data”, making backups on a product level ready for export and import as a preparation for updates and complete reinstallation of the whole runtime.

- - -

I am also aware that not all people are interested in metadata.
As there has been said there is not just one way to organize a runtime.
I can understand that it is not easy for DAZ to come up with solutions for all those different needs.

The introduction of the DIM seems a good opportunity to completly reinstall the whole runtime.
I put together some kind of a step by step guide how that process was done before the DIM and now invite those interested to have a look at it and share and discuss how that process could be updated with the new options the DIM introduces:

Metadata Management - complete reinstallation preparation - step by step

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/16216/

I see this step in step guide as a collection of the status quo and work in progress document until DAZ makes an official document available that deals with all those questions a complete reinstallation of all content WITH all metadata brings.

It would be great if those people who worked on the DIM could share their experiences if those steps I came up with are reasonable or if I am missing some importent points that may alter the way metadata reinstallations were done in the past that I have not yet mentioned.

I can understand that you cannot share all information now until the DIM is officially released.
But I would be very happy if you could provide some useful tips and suggestions as soon as the official release is available.

- - -

Thank you for reading.

Signature 

DAZ User Gallery / Facebook / Deviant Art

Posted: 04 February 2013 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 383 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2006-09-27

I apologize if this has been asked and answered.  After reading 18 pages, my mind has started getting fuzzy with all the details, answers and speculation - as well as the non-DIM info.

My question/situation is:
I run Studio on 2 different computers, my heftier (?) desktop and my newer laptop.  For DIM to work accurately (for updates especially) will I need to download the Zips on both machines, or only once as long as the download location is the same directory?

Posted: 04 February 2013 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 384 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2012-05-11

Ok, I have a new question now. I’d been seriously considering doing a fresh install, but the new video on Youtube shows using the uninstallers to manually uninstall everything. I have 226 installers, and I’m sure other users have a lot more than me. Is there no quicker and easier way? Can’t we just wipe those folders and start over?

Signature 

B.J. Baye
Check out my Deviantart Profile.
My Amazon Author Page

Posted: 04 February 2013 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 385 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-15
Zelroth - 04 February 2013 02:26 PM

I apologize if this has been asked and answered.  After reading 18 pages, my mind has started getting fuzzy with all the details, answers and speculation - as well as the non-DIM info.

I run Studio on 2 different computers, my heftier (?) desktop and my newer laptop.  For DIM to work accurately (for updates especially) will I need to download the Zips on both machines, or only once as long as the download location is the same directory?

If your desktop and laptop can access the same folder, then you can download to one place.  If not, you could still download to one and then just copy the donwload folder over to the other with an external hard-drive or direct connection.

Posted: 04 February 2013 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 386 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-15
Fobok1 - 04 February 2013 02:42 PM

Ok, I have a new question now. I’d been seriously considering doing a fresh install, but the new video on Youtube shows using the uninstallers to manually uninstall everything. I have 226 installers, and I’m sure other users have a lot more than me. Is there no quicker and easier way? Can’t we just wipe those folders and start over?

If you are going to wipe the whole old folder you can just delete it, its only if you are keeping something in that folder that you want to manually run the un-installers.  You may wish to back up that folder first, just in case.

Posted: 04 February 2013 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 387 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1816
Joined  2005-06-08
DAZ_cjones - 04 February 2013 02:43 PM

If your desktop and laptop can access the same folder, then you can download to one place.  If not, you could still download to one and then just copy the donwload folder over to the other with an external hard-drive or direct connection.

I do it with an external hard drive, and I’ve been very happy with how well DAZStudio’s handled it since the duf files came out.  Glad to hear it’ll still work!

Signature 

~

Hat-wearing member of the Bald Wizards Club

Eyebrow-Free Face Textures — A List

Posted: 04 February 2013 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 388 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2012-05-11
DAZ_cjones - 04 February 2013 02:45 PM

If you are going to wipe the whole old folder you can just delete it, its only if you are keeping something in that folder that you want to manually run the un-installers.  You may wish to back up that folder first, just in case.

Excellent, thanks. The only thing I really want to save from my old folder are a few genesis and supersuit presets.

But yeah, I’ll definitely back up first.

Signature 

B.J. Baye
Check out my Deviantart Profile.
My Amazon Author Page

Posted: 04 February 2013 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 389 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-15
linvanchene - 04 February 2013 12:26 PM

I have two questions:

Question 1:

Is there in the current version of the DIM really no option at all included to prevent the DIM from writting directly to the database?

If you want to you can stop the CMS, run Install Manager, and then restart the CMS.  But at this time metadata just always happens.

linvanchene - 04 February 2013 12:26 PM

Question 2:

If the DIM is writing directly to the database are there still any files placed in /runtime/support?

DIM still drops the dsx into /runtime/support so the Re-import metadata in studio still works.

Posted: 04 February 2013 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 390 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2006-09-27
KickAir 8P - 04 February 2013 02:50 PM
DAZ_cjones - 04 February 2013 02:43 PM

I do it with an external hard drive, and I’ve been very happy with how well DAZStudio’s handled it since the duf files came out.  Glad to hear it’ll still work!

Thank you for the quick response.  That is what I thought, but I am glad to have it confirmed by DAZ.

26 of 75