RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1171
Joined  2007-10-17
Mari-Anne - 02 February 2013 06:11 PM
DAZ_Spooky - 02 February 2013 04:24 PM
Mari-Anne - 02 February 2013 03:24 PM
ketthrove - 02 February 2013 01:39 PM
Mari-Anne - 02 February 2013 01:30 PM

Will there be a nice Help document with step-by-step instructions for the various install scenarios included in the purchase of the new DIM?

The videos mention a docs site at the end but as this isn’t released yet I’m not sure what will be at it or if they are ready yet.

Yes, I noticed that, however, I was hoping for a more “officially confirmed” answer.

More official than the “official videos?”

Yes - I am looking for more detailed steps than those shown in the videos.  E.g. you want to use a brand new (empty) folder for new content.  How do you retain your old way of categorizing using the new DIM?

OR - you want to use your old folder system i.e. switch the path to your old path instead of using the Public default path AND still have your existing content categorized along with the opportunity to categorize your new content according to your existing categories.

More detailed than the docs referred to in the video?

Posted: 02 February 2013 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 182 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  555
Joined  2011-04-12
DAZ_Spooky - 02 February 2013 06:30 PM
Mari-Anne - 02 February 2013 06:11 PM
DAZ_Spooky - 02 February 2013 04:24 PM
Mari-Anne - 02 February 2013 03:24 PM
ketthrove - 02 February 2013 01:39 PM
Mari-Anne - 02 February 2013 01:30 PM

Will there be a nice Help document with step-by-step instructions for the various install scenarios included in the purchase of the new DIM?

The videos mention a docs site at the end but as this isn’t released yet I’m not sure what will be at it or if they are ready yet.

Yes, I noticed that, however, I was hoping for a more “officially confirmed” answer.

More official than the “official videos?”

Yes - I am looking for more detailed steps than those shown in the videos.  E.g. you want to use a brand new (empty) folder for new content.  How do you retain your old way of categorizing using the new DIM?

OR - you want to use your old folder system i.e. switch the path to your old path instead of using the Public default path AND still have your existing content categorized along with the opportunity to categorize your new content according to your existing categories.

More detailed than the docs referred to in the video?

Given that the docs referred to in the video aren’t available, absolutely anything would be more detailed than them.

Signature 

Not interested in the giant leap backwards that is “Genesis 2”.

Posted: 02 February 2013 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 183 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-17
Murgatroyd - 02 February 2013 06:58 PM

Given that the docs referred to in the video aren’t available, absolutely anything would be more detailed than them.

If you say so.  wink

Posted: 02 February 2013 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 184 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-04-12

If I am mistaken about them not being available, please give a link.  If I am not mistaken, then I still say that absolutely anything is more detailed than nothing.

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2013 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 185 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-17
Murgatroyd - 02 February 2013 07:04 PM

If I am mistaken about them not being available, please give a link.  If I am not mistaken, then I still say that absolutely anything is more detailed than nothing.

Once the product has been released, then they are linked from within the product. They aren’t finished so I am not going to tell you where to look for them,  that doesn’t mean they do not exist, or are not available. And that is as big a hint as you are going to get.

Posted: 02 February 2013 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 186 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-04-12

Given that hint, it wasn’t too hard to find them.  It does leave me wondering, however, whether you are aware of just how much of a jerk your recent posts make you seem like.

I’m not going to play the “ha ha, I know something you don’t” game.  Unlike you, I am not going to refrain from linking.

Start here.

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2013 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 187 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  621
Joined  2007-08-14

Apparently they can’t add something to the wiki and make it hidden to the public, so they have to pretend it doesn’t exist because officially it hasn’t been released yet.

It’s silly. It’s DAZ.

Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

Posted: 02 February 2013 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 188 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  78
Joined  2012-05-11
Murgatroyd - 02 February 2013 07:13 PM

It does leave me wondering, however, whether you are aware of just how much of a jerk your recent posts make you seem like.

Given he’s rather obviously under a gag order until the product is released, I’d say the fact he’s giving hints at all is pretty much the opposite of being a jerk.

Signature 

B.J. Baye
Check out my Deviantart Profile.
My Amazon Author Page

Posted: 02 February 2013 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 189 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2005-09-03

Meh….I took it more like…“I can’t tell you officially, but I will give you something to work with.”  Never got the impression anyone here was trying to say haha….

Now - off to play a game.  smile

Signature 

Kat

Posted: 02 February 2013 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 190 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2005-09-30
Murgatroyd - 02 February 2013 07:13 PM

Given that hint, it wasn’t too hard to find them.  It does leave me wondering, however, whether you are aware of just how much of a jerk your recent posts make you seem like.

I’m not going to play the “ha ha, I know something you don’t” game.  Unlike you, I am not going to refrain from linking.

Start here.

Thank you!!

Posted: 02 February 2013 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 191 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-04-12

And now for the question that has been asked a few times, but has yet to be adequately answered:

It is highly recommended that you choose an install location that is different than you currently installed content.

Whoever’s working on the documentation might want to change that second “you” to “your”.

Why?  What are the advantages of doing so, and/or the disadvantages of not doing so?

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2013 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 192 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1455
Joined  0

Just curious..do you have to reset all your filesmanuallly before the DIM will download them or can they be all be reset inside the DIM at one time?

Signature 

“If you get a chance….Take it!  If it changes your life….Let it!.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.”

Posted: 02 February 2013 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 193 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2005-09-03
Kharma - 02 February 2013 07:49 PM

Just curious..do you have to reset all your filesmanuallly before the DIM will download them or can they be all be reset inside the DIM at one time?

From what was said earlier I do not think you have to reset them at all.

Signature 

Kat

Posted: 02 February 2013 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 194 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1455
Joined  0

would be great if I didn’t have to…I thought I read all the posts but didn’t see that mentioned, it did show resetting the file in the video tho

Signature 

“If you get a chance….Take it!  If it changes your life….Let it!.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.”

Posted: 02 February 2013 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 195 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2003-10-09

Well, this does look interesting to me.  I am gearing up for a clean install.

You say it works with Bryce/DAZ/ even Lightwave?  Outstanding

You say it can reset downloads from the DIM?  Outstanding.  Hope you guys have lots of bandwidth.  I am about to use a chunk of it, though being able to point it at a directory of installers would be nice.

You are going to ZIP files instead of dedicated PC/Mac installers? Finally

You went all the way back to V4 with the updates?  Will that work continue to other older products?  V3 still finds her way into my renders (or at least her items and textures since Genesis can pretend to be V3).  Not that V3 is old, just mature.

It would be nice if it could handle updates (much like Apple App store: It flags when products are updated and you can choose specifics or “update all”).

Will it work with the old installer files?  Or does it eat ZIP files only?

Will there be a way to reset downloads en masse for this?  Resetting 40 pages of content (50 to a page) would get downright tedious. 

Will it be smart enough to not bother resetting application downloads like Bryce and DAZ Studio (1,2,3,4)?

Will it ever just link directly to the server like cloud backup so it doesn’t even need to reset the downloads?  Just go and get the files you paid for?

Signature 

V3rlon

13 of 75