Digital Art Zone

74 of 75
Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready
Posted: 17 May 2013 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1096 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7986
Joined  2006-03-19

once its in ready to install all you have to do is install it to the recommended place. Most likely that will be C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library, unless you have a custom directory you are installing to.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Ravenwood Cemetery*****  

Posted: 17 May 2013 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1097 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9688
Joined  2007-11-06

If you download the DIM zip from the Product Library, just put it in the DIM downloads folder and click refresh in DIM, and it will put it in Ready to Install.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 18 May 2013 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1098 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6592
Joined  2006-02-20
fixmypcmike - 17 May 2013 01:31 PM

If you download the DIM zip from the Product Library, just put it in the DIM downloads folder and click refresh in DIM, and it will put it in Ready to Install.

Does DIM know that without having the .dsx file?
And will it know when there are updates?

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 18 May 2013 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1099 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1373
Joined  2010-01-23
Kerya - 18 May 2013 02:08 AM
fixmypcmike - 17 May 2013 01:31 PM

Does DIM know that without having the .dsx file?
And will it know when there are updates?

I followed Mike’s suggestion for a few files - next time I opened the DIM (and signed on through it) a set of “new” .dsx files appeared in the download library for the .zip’s I copied in, so I guess the DIM handles this. Those products haven’t got updates yet though, so too soon to tell whether they’ll show.

Signature 

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 18 May 2013 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1100 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9688
Joined  2007-11-06

The manifest.dsx inside the zip is what DIM needs to install the product and know if it’s been updated.  The .dsx that comes outside of the zip has the tags and the order number, but DIM can install and check for updates without it, and DIM will download the .dsx file when it’s available.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 19 May 2013 02:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1101 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

Ahhh! The dsx inside is the one it needs. Thanks!

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 14 October 2013 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1102 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  0

Long time since I bought anything from DAZ but I’m a bit nonplussed, not to say also a little bit angry, about this install manager contraption

Haven’t time to go through everything in this and other threads so can I ask for a bit of quick help?

My set up is that I run Poser Installations on D: drive, with 24 differently categorised Runtimes, built up since first using Poser4.  I have just bought 3 or 4 current products and want to install these as appropriate to my working environment, in the runtimes best suited for each

I have installed the downloader on a customised basis, to the max I seem to be able to customise it, to my d: drive, D:\program files, rather naively assuming that content would be downloaded there, and that I could then install it where I wanted it

Instead, I have now got folders called Daz3d and My Daz3d Library appearing in my C:\ drive, in the Public Documents folder complete with a new runtime there

Is that right?  - ie is that a cast in stone default that I can’t vary? or have i screwed up the installer installation somehow?

If it is set firm, it’s a real problem as 1) I have limited space on my C drive, and even worse, hence the anger, who on earth do these people think they are to dump stuff willy nilly into what are my PUBLICLY shared documents without first asking my permission?

I can see the downloaded zips and can get them copied elsewhere to drag the stuff out where I want it, albeit it looks like having to be at least a three stage unzip, zip runtime only, unzip to target runtime process, which seems an utter waste of time

That’s especially so as I seem to now be unable to download the purchased files at all from my account without using this wretched manager?  Again, am I doing something wrong, ie is there any way of just downloading the zipped content somehow, or the file in a farm of self installer that I have control over the target destination, or am I forced into using this thing and then fiddling about with the extracted data?

Any quick answers to these queries would be appreciated

Posted: 14 October 2013 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1103 ]
Joined  0

OK, I can probably now answer one part of my query myself, so probably there is no real problem as I’ll just deal with the pain of sorting the rest myself!  grin

I have now found how to download just the zips themselves.  The first product I had purchased was a 3 part bundle, and the main link from the order only provides the ‘download and install’ option.  And that demands their installer

However, if I click on the thumbnail to each individual product, THEN i can download the zip for each separately   So that’s OK and leaves me the control I want..  LOL

But I will be wiping this Install Manager thing straightaway.  I really can’t believe that anyone could be as crass as dump anything into someone else’s ‘public’ content, without as much as a ‘by your leave’, and end up thinking that’s somehow clever.

Posted: 14 October 2013 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1104 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

First: without DIM - go to “My account” (upper right corner of each page)
In the grey bar below the Sales Banner click on “Product Library”
It is sorted by Purchase date, but you can change that to the left above the names of the products. Or you can use the search field - just some letters of the name are enough.

Second: you can tell DIM where to install things:
http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/userguide/start

Signature 

Posted: 14 October 2013 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1105 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

OK, I was a bit too late ... LOL

Signature 

Posted: 14 October 2013 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1106 ]
Joined  0

Thanks.  Much appreciate your taking the time to answer

I think I’ll stick by the old fashioned way meantime, though.  Then I’m certain that what I want will happen.  These transitions can be too wearing.  I remember going from DOS to Win95.  PnP was more like Press and Pray, than your being able to be sure it was going to do what you thought you had told it to   grin

Posted: 14 October 2013 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1107 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1395
Joined  2004-06-13

First thing to do with any new program is check and adjust any preference settings.  The little ‘cog’ icon (apparently the new international symbol for preference many new programs are using) will open the preference.  There are tabs for accounts, download filters an download location, installation location(s), and an application tab.  The application tab is primarily for setting the install location of affiliated apps so DIM knows where to install plug-ins and add-ons.  The only thing that can’t be changed is the location of DIM’s support files in the public documents.  DAZ does need address this in all of their programs as so many new computers are shipping with SSDs as the primary drive.

Signature 

Push buttons, see what happens!

Posted: 14 October 2013 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1108 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1843
Joined  2008-05-31

If you use WinRAR it’s fairly simple to install the zips manually:

http://miscfiles.net/tutorials/InstallDAZZipsWithWinRAR

It will remember your different runtime folders in the dropdown box.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 02 November 2013 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1109 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  283
Joined  2006-05-09
does this wretched name work - 14 October 2013 05:44 AM

Long time since I bought anything from DAZ but I’m a bit nonplussed, not to say also a little bit angry, about this install manager contraption

Haven’t time to go through everything in this and other threads so can I ask for a bit of quick help?

My set up is that I run Poser Installations on D: drive, with 24 differently categorised Runtimes, built up since first using Poser4.  I have just bought 3 or 4 current products and want to install these as appropriate to my working environment, in the runtimes best suited for each

I have installed the downloader on a customised basis, to the max I seem to be able to customise it, to my d: drive, D:\program files, rather naively assuming that content would be downloaded there, and that I could then install it where I wanted it

Instead, I have now got folders called Daz3d and My Daz3d Library appearing in my C:\ drive, in the Public Documents folder complete with a new runtime there

Is that right?  - ie is that a cast in stone default that I can’t vary? or have i screwed up the installer installation somehow?

If it is set firm, it’s a real problem as 1) I have limited space on my C drive, and even worse, hence the anger, who on earth do these people think they are to dump stuff willy nilly into what are my PUBLICLY shared documents without first asking my permission?

I can see the downloaded zips and can get them copied elsewhere to drag the stuff out where I want it, albeit it looks like having to be at least a three stage unzip, zip runtime only, unzip to target runtime process, which seems an utter waste of time

That’s especially so as I seem to now be unable to download the purchased files at all from my account without using this wretched manager?  Again, am I doing something wrong, ie is there any way of just downloading the zipped content somehow, or the file in a farm of self installer that I have control over the target destination, or am I forced into using this thing and then fiddling about with the extracted data?

Any quick answers to these queries would be appreciated

Its not set in stone.  You can setup every one of your runtimes in DIM then just use the drop down menu (click show details in the bottom right corner) and then select those items you want into that runtime name.  You don’t have to use any of the default ones it comes setup with.  It will also maintain updates to where you installed them to when the products are updated etc.

You can change where the downloads are stored (not installed but just their holding place) at by clicking the cog and going to downloads.

Hope this helps.

Signature 

Carrara Cafe

Posted: 13 December 2013 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1110 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-02-27
fixmypcmike - 27 April 2013 11:14 AM

Hovering your mouse over one of the items in Install Manager gives the Installer Date.

Yeah, I see.
But is the version number is make the product become easier to recognise? Especially when you buy a lot of stuff but still didn’t use some of them and it’s updated…

74 of 75