Digital Art Zone

73 of 75
Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready
Posted: 18 April 2013 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1081 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8425
Joined  2007-11-06

What would be good is if when DIM was checking for new product to download it checked all the subfolders you have in your download folder.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 18 April 2013 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1082 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  264
Joined  2006-05-09
ghevey - 05 March 2013 10:41 AM

Now they just need to include Bryce and Carrara content for completeness.

That and the rest of their own products.  Don’t get me wrong I like the idea of DIM

I put in a ticket and stopped adding to it back in Feb (granted it was end of Feb so we are about 1.70 months past) for items.  I stopped adding though I did point to the list of all bundles and make a suggestion that they go through that list as I just randomly picked about 6 and nearly all were not there (I listed the individual items).  I also just noticed they are not in the product library either.    Some of the items got added many did not.

Something else   The mill horse bundle comes with the foal.  If you go to the product library you get the Mill Horse bundle as a single file, but if you go to DIM its individual files apparently from what I can tell.  No Foal either. (or the textures)  How can I tell if I am getting what I need.  I am so frustrated by this process right now.  I got a new machine and thought it would be a good time to do a new install since I have about 15+ gigs of items I haven’t installed yet but downloaded. 

I have used some 3d library programs (before daz changed system) to keep track of what I had purchased and it grabbed the images it was easy to find what I had.  They needed more polish and some features but at least I could at a glance see what I needed quickly without having to go online and were complete at far as what I had purchased except for the bundles which had just gotten resolved when the change happened.

I really would like to work but it appears for now I am going to have to move my entire library from my previous machine.
I just would like this to be more complete and work and be functional in a way that people who use it might expect vs what a marketing person might sell.

Signature 

Carrara Cafe

Posted: 18 April 2013 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1083 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1247
Joined  2003-10-09
RonS - 18 April 2013 03:24 PM

I’m really happy for those who find this product so suited to their needs, I guess some folks just love chaotic and arbitrary file systems - - but, why make fun of those who prefer organization to chaos?

hmmm, I’m not SURE who this is aimed at, as that certainly wasn’t MY intent - especially since I happaned to agree with a goodly portion of your reservations. I was deliberately polite…

RonS - 18 April 2013 03:24 PM

your ignorance of what might be possible is monumental.

Apparently, a restriction that you don’t feel to be compelled by :(

I apologise if my post, intending to help someone who seemed to have not quite “got” the DIM, was in any way inappropriate.

Cliff

Signature 

Cliff’s Store

Posted: 18 April 2013 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1084 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  264
Joined  2006-05-09
islandgurl31 - 18 April 2013 04:05 PM

Hello jestmart,

I am confused about the multiple download folders thingy. Do you mean if we could just pick like 2 dl folders at a time to dl to or for different figures and stuff? I am kind of slow today…lol. I tried looking a the link you provided,but because I don’t have login for it I could not view it :-(.

jestmart - 18 April 2013 03:02 PM

The content folder is only an issue if you are manually installing files directly from the OS or from another zip utility.  When installing from DIM the content folder is ignored, if it wasn’t it would be a problem for Studio 4.x users too.  Would also like to see multiple download libraries and made a feature request for it.

https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=50175

This is what my DIM DL Folder looks like:

So you setup a seperate download directory on you HD for various type of content prob to match your runtimes as well?

Signature 

Carrara Cafe

Posted: 18 April 2013 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1085 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1081
Joined  2004-06-13

I can see no way to add extra download folders like you can with the install folders in DIM.  My download all get dumped into that one folder and it looks nothing like islandgurl31, of course I didn’t use the default download location so maybe that makes a difference.

Signature 

Push buttons, see what happens!

Posted: 18 April 2013 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1086 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2005-09-14

I moved copied the DIM Folder to my external and set it up just like I did before the DIM came along. I am meticulous on how my stuff is setup…lol..everything has to be in order.

What I do is before downloading I click on the i for the readme while my download folder is open and copy and paste the info I want and the pic…then I go to that folder in the download manager part where it has where you check that boxes you (e.g. DS 4.5 only content…etc.). Will get a screen grab to show what I am talking about grin.Will edit this post when I have it.

Edit: Here is my setup grin

Image Attachments
Inside_Folders.jpgDIM_Screen.jpgSub_Folders.jpg

Posted: 27 April 2013 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1087 ]
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-02-27

Dear,
How do I know the version of product downloaded by/used for DAZ Install Manager? I didn’t see any version number in DIM zip file like what they did with the original exe file.
Please help!

Posted: 27 April 2013 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1088 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6200
Joined  2005-08-15
evendo - 27 April 2013 05:37 AM

Dear,
How do I know the version of product downloaded by/used for DAZ Install Manager? I didn’t see any version number in DIM zip file like what they did with the original exe file.
Please help!

You can right click on any files in the Installed area, and view the Installer files and the Installed files, but I don;t think it gives a version number for content.

The DIM will automatically install the latest version (if necessary) every time you run it.  They will appear in the Ready To Download tab as Product Updates, and they will install to the correct library (the one you installed the original to) if you check the box at the bottom of the Ready To Install tab.

I am confident that I can rely on the DIM to always alert me to updates, it is a much better system than we have ever had.  I can’t find anywhere that lists the current version number of installed items, but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t there wink

If you feel that the version number needs to be included, you could request that in the Bug Tracker as a Feature for the next version of DIM.

Posted: 27 April 2013 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1089 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

Hovering your mouse over one of the items in Install Manager gives the Installer Date.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 28 April 2013 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1090 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  265
Joined  2010-07-08

I finally broke my piggy bank and bought a new computer with a decent processor.  I’m downloading everything right now through the DIM.  If this works out well, which I hope it does, I’m going to be sooo happy that I didn’t have to wear out my mouse clicking through individual installers!  smile

Posted: 28 April 2013 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1091 ]
Joined  2011-02-27

Dear,
It seems the DIM still doesn’t support for Bryce contents! As I don’t have chance to use Carrara and Hexagon, I can’t make any comment, but at least Bryce contents still doesn’t support to be installed via DIM!

Posted: 28 April 2013 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1092 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
evendo - 28 April 2013 06:21 PM

Dear,
It seems the DIM still doesn’t support for Bryce contents! As I don’t have chance to use Carrara and Hexagon, I can’t make any comment, but at least Bryce contents still doesn’t support to be installed via DIM!

That’s correct, currently it only supports DS/Poser content, because they allow external content folders.  According to the ChangeLog, they are currently working on supporting software installation, plugins, and Carrara and Bryce content (and from the looks of it, Photoshop brushes and other kinds of content).

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 17 May 2013 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1093 ]
Joined  2011-02-27

Dear,
I’ve download the DAZ Studio 4.6 via Web, it’s a problem that DIM seems doesn’t understand the zip file of Starter Essentials Pack included in the new DAZ package. What should I do? I don’t want to re-download again via DIM…

Posted: 17 May 2013 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1094 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7538
Joined  2006-03-19

The servers have been under stress the last couple days. Keep trying to download it through DIM

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 17 May 2013 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1095 ]
Joined  2011-02-27
Frank0314 - 17 May 2013 08:53 AM

The servers have been under stress the last couple days. Keep trying to download it through DIM

I checked, and I think the file is OK. I just don’t know how to make DIM “understand” the file and install it. Is it related to “another file” that comes with the Zip file when I download via DIM? I see that DIM always download a Zip file and another file comes with it (like a signature/license file) but it’s a sole Zip file only when download with Web service via “Product Library” in “My account”!

73 of 75