Digital Art Zone

8 of 75
Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready
Posted: 02 February 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2005-09-03

@DaWaterRat - If you are concerned, just wait until they can talk more about it.  I imagine more info will come out once it is released.  smile  No one has to make a decision on it now.  Heck it isn’t even out yet and we are all jumping on or off ship already. LOL

Don’t I feel silly…..

Signature 

Kat

Posted: 02 February 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1137
Joined  2007-10-17
DaWaterRat - 02 February 2013 10:47 AM

Then tell me why I’m wrong.  Don’t just tell me I’m wrong.  I’m not trying it out until I know the risks.

No risk. And if you don’t like the way it works it will uninstall everything it installed.

This attitude is why I’m so hesitant to accept this as the wonderful thing you’re trying to sell it as. You said Highly Recommended you install to a Clean Runtime  Why?  What are the problems if I don’t?  What Assumptions are in that Question that are wrong?

Honestly, this is not the way to calm a concerned customer.

And telling you something is great, when I don’t know what you want, how you use your content, or whether you will even use it is irresponsible.

Further since it isn’t released, there is only so much I am allowed to say.

Posted: 02 February 2013 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2871
Joined  2006-07-31
RAMWolff - 02 February 2013 10:27 AM

PS. Thanks to whomever got the Previously purchased working again.  I went out to an updated product that RAWN mentioned and saw that the “Add To Cart” was showing “Purchased”.  Even older products seem to be showing them when going to the page.  Dagon for Hiro 3 for example.  So that’s really nice to see that reminder working again!

Gods, really? They did? *runs to check out if it’s truth*  If so, those are definitely good news.

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis
a way to transfer morphs to Genesis without Gen-X

Posted: 02 February 2013 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-17
Digital Lite Design - 02 February 2013 10:48 AM

I am a techy geek and LOVE tools and toys.  Ya, I have had to fix things afterwards to account for this at times…But I still love to play. 

I can’t wait to get my hands on this….and from what I am seeing, it looks like if I want to test drive it, I can simply create a separate Runtime and use it on new purchases?  Thus leaving everything I have already customized and sorted in tact.  Is this correct?

If so color me excited!  Can I have it yesterday?

Correct.

Posted: 02 February 2013 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1440
Joined  0

I absolutely love the return of the ” purchased” button.. this also work for items from bundles that I have tested smile)  Thank You!!  I have purchased a couple items a second time andd was not happy about that but shouldn’t happen now!

Signature 

“If you get a chance….Take it!  If it changes your life….Let it!.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.”

Posted: 02 February 2013 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-17
Kattey - 02 February 2013 10:38 AM

AprilYSH, I’m not negative toward it and I’m sure it will be a nice tool for people with smaller runtimes, but at this moment I see little point of using it myself (experience will tell), this is why I’m asking. As long as DIM is optional and I’m still getting my exe/zip installers like they were, I’m fine.

DAZ_Spooky, have a question for you - does DIM in any way uses cloud and if yes, how exactly?

As far as your end is concerned? It is all local. Exactly how the server end works, I am a bit fuzzy, as that isn’t my end of things.

Posted: 02 February 2013 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4688
Joined  2004-08-11
Kattey - 02 February 2013 10:52 AM
RAMWolff - 02 February 2013 10:27 AM

PS. Thanks to whomever got the Previously purchased working again.  I went out to an updated product that RAWN mentioned and saw that the “Add To Cart” was showing “Purchased”.  Even older products seem to be showing them when going to the page.  Dagon for Hiro 3 for example.  So that’s really nice to see that reminder working again!

Gods, really? They did? *runs to check out if it’s truth*  If so, those are definitely good news.

Notice where the “Add to Cart” button is? grin

Image Attachments
DagonPurchased.jpg
 Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 02 February 2013 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1481
Joined  2006-07-04
DAZ_Spooky - 02 February 2013 10:51 AM
DaWaterRat - 02 February 2013 10:47 AM

Then tell me why I’m wrong.  Don’t just tell me I’m wrong.  I’m not trying it out until I know the risks.

No risk. And if you don’t like the way it works it will uninstall everything it installed.

It should not have been like pulling teeth to get that answer.

DAZ_Spooky - 02 February 2013 10:51 AM

And telling you something is great, when I don’t know what you want, how you use your content, or whether you will even use it is irresponsible.

Really?  That’s been the prevailing tone of your early posts.  That’s its wonderful, and everyone is going to love it.  It was only when people started pointing out ways that it might not be wonderful for them that you toned it down.

I understand that there’s only so much you can say, but simple questions deserve solid answers, not smokescreens, even if it’s “I can’t answer that yet.”

Signature 

DAZ Gallery * * *DA Gallery

Posted: 02 February 2013 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-31

I’m sorry to say it but it sounded as if DIM has a significant problem but you won’t tell us because you want us to buy into hype.

Obviously there is an issue with Clean Installation that you aware about and we aren’t. You told us about almost everything else, covering this particular part of information now with “before release I can’t tell”  sounds very suspicious to me. *shrugs* If there is a problem and DAZ3D won’t tell us until we try DIM and break/burn something due to that non-mentioned-before problem, it will be a significantly bigger problem to DAZ3D to 1) persuade people to use that tool despite its other merits 2)  calm people down and ever live up to yet another bit of bad publicity that many are eager to heap on it any taken day. I don’t see a merit of withholding of such info. More that that, I’d release it (information) and see if people can find a solution or workaround for said problem, or at least write a clear instructions about how to avoid it.

I"m ok with hype, but I prefer more to be well-informed about possible technical flaws and procedures.

Thank you for answering the question about cloud tech.

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis

Posted: 02 February 2013 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1481
Joined  2006-07-04
Digital Lite Design - 02 February 2013 10:51 AM

@DaWaterRat - If you are concerned, just wait until they can talk more about it.  I imagine more info will come out once it is released.  smile  No one has to make a decision on it now.  Heck it isn’t even out yet and we are all jumping on or off ship already. LOL

Don’t I feel silly…..

“Highly recommend you do X” coming from tech people always reads like a warning that not doing X is a “Bad thing” that is going to screw up your system.

But if I do X, or don’t do X, I want to know why X is better and what will go wrong if I don’t do X.  (Yes, I was one of those kids that constantly asked “Why”  I still am.)  And if DAZ_Spooky or any of the testers had just said “I can discuss that after the release” I would have backed off. Instead I was given more sales pitches.

Signature 

DAZ Gallery * * *DA Gallery

Posted: 02 February 2013 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 116 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-31

Notice where the “Add to Cart” button is? grin

And I still can buy it if I want yet another copy by some reason. Hurray for the light of information and the freedom of choice! Nice work, people of DAZ3D - now don’t break it again, please. Ever! smile

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2013 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 117 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2012-02-12

My question is, will the installer include an option to automatically pop up the readme in our browsers, like previous installers? I use this so I can know where to go to categorize my content.

While I don’t think the DIM has anything to do with categorizing content, it would be awesome to have a content manager program that I could train somehow so it would take fewer clicks to categorize each item. Oh, if wishes were fishes… smile

It will be nice to have fewer clicks on the installing part, though. The new DIM sounds like it will work fine for me, since I install everything to the same runtime, then go in and categorize everything. I’m glad to hear that my categories will not be messed with in any way.

Posted: 02 February 2013 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 118 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-17
Kattey - 02 February 2013 11:00 AM

I’m sorry to say it but it sounded as if DIM has a significant problem but you won’t tell us because you want us to buy into hype.

Obviously there is an issue with Clean Installation that you aware about and we aren’t. You told us about almost everything else, covering it with “before release I can’t tell”  sounds very suspicious to me. *shrugs* If there is a problem and DAZ3D won’t tell us until we try DIM and break/burn something due to that non-mentioned problem, it will be a bigger problem to DAZ3D to calm people down and ever live up to yet another bit of bad publicity that many are eager to heap on it any taken day. I don’t see a merit of hiding such info.

I"m ok with hype, but I prefer more to be well-informed about possible technical flaws and procedures.

Thank you for answering the question about cloud tech.

More assumptions, that are incorrect.

We are unaware of any flaws, if we were you wouldn’t be seeing any of this.

Let me be absolutely clear, it is HIGHLY recommended that you use a clean Content structure because it works BEST that way.  There is no deep dark secret, there is nothing being hidden.

It is, however, something that has to be experienced to be appreciated.

Posted: 02 February 2013 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 119 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-31

Let me be absolutely clear, it is HIGHLY recommended that you use a clean Content structure because it works BEST that way.  There is no deep dark secret, there is nothing being hidden.

Thank you for that clarification.

and if there is a conspiracy to hide sinister things from us,  now we have a post confirmation to rant about it wink

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2013 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 120 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2925
Joined  2010-11-30
DAZ_Spooky - 02 February 2013 11:10 AM

More assumptions, that are incorrect.

It would be easier for us to avoid making incorrect assumptions if we actually knew something about the program.

There are three ways to let us know something about the program:
1) Release the program
2) Release the documentation
3) Have somebody spend all day answering questions instead of doing the work he’s being paid to do.

I understand that option 1 is a no-go, since the program has been promised to Platinum Club members first.

I expect that option 3 is unpalatable from a business standpoint.

That leaves option 2.

Where is the program documentation?

Signature 

Rob Kelk (a.k.a. “the guy with all those freebie lists”)

Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki - rather small at the moment, but with big dreams to be the one-stop list for all D|S and Poser freebies

Come take part in the Freebie Challenge!

8 of 75