Added the new URL to the DAZ Install - Manager Fresh Start
Deleted the old URL to the removed video
seems it was updated.
- - -
Before you write anything and keep reading please watch the following three videos first:
I watched them each two times to get over my initial shock.
Some questions were answered by watching them all twice.
DAZ Install Manager - New to 3D Content (for Windows users)
DAZ Install Manager - Fresh Start (for Windows users)
Edit: added link to updated Video
DAZ Install Manager - Add to Current System (for Windows users)
There are also videos for mac users posted on the channel:
- - -
I can live with the fact that I have to install all content again if I want to use the install manager to manage the content.
Allthough I am a bit frustrated at the moment to do it again since I spent november and december to reinstall all content and update / fix the metdata. But thats my personal problem. o.O
After watching the videos one very important question is open:
Why did DAZ deceide to introduce a new “public” location where all content now is installed by default?
C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library
it seems to be
C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\My DAZ 3D Library
To me it seems like a horrible idea to put my personal library of 3d content in a public folder.
- I do not want anyone else that logs on the pc to be able to mess around with my personal library of 3d content.
- If several persons use the same pc like kids and parents before it was possible that all had their own library with those models they purchased.
- Is the user of DAZ content not bound by the license to protect the content and not make it available to others?
Now everyone that logs on the pc has easy access to all content files on public and can copy everything?
- And what about personal data like scene files, my own presets should they also be moved to the public folder?
- And if not then the whole library is now split in two with the presets one created themself are in a different location then the ones purchased?
Content relying on paths?
- Is not some content relying on exact paths and references to work properly? Is using a different location not going to break some content?
Consequences for the metadata?
- Each user may have their own preferences to sort their content with metadata. How is this going to be possible if all installations are merged in one public folder?
- Is not all metadata going to be broken if the content is installed into a different location?
Was not the reason for many products released with broken metadata that the file path was changed before zipping up the files?
- - -
There are quite some other questions open but those raised are the ones that need immediate attention to prevent me from freaking out completly.
I really hope this is all some kind of missunderstanding with the “public” default installation location.
- - -
The screenshot is from one of the youtube videos and shows how you can merge the old and new paths.