Digital Art Zone

7 of 10
WIP THREAD FOR NEW USERS CONTEST, February 2013.
Posted: 17 February 2013 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  622
Joined  2006-09-27
I am still working my way through the posts on this forum and the tutorials. But I have played and created this. Just thought to share, any comments welcome. Yes, I know a different camera perspective might work better, but I am not yet at that point.
Image Attachments
Beginners_tutorial_8.jpg

Posted: 18 February 2013 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-03-04
something that i've noticed is that if you use an image to generate the landscape in the editind lab, is that if you render with the camera directle above the terain looking down, is you can see the image used. just a little fyi.

p.s. i recently got a second laptop to transfur my 3d resorces to so i could free up space on my first system. for some resone, bryce keeps telling me that i need to input a serial number everytime i launch it. I always use the serial i got with bryce 7 pro, but in never sticks. any advice?

Posted: 18 February 2013 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Total Posts:  8
Joined  0
I have continued to study the Sky Lab. Since my precedent render, i have modified the sky to get more clouds.

dwsel_ - 14 February 2013 10:01 AM

The current sun direction (midday, quite high) flattens the image. Moving it to left or right and lowering will make shadows to appear and be more contrasty and interesting imho.

As Dwsel suggests me, i have lowered my sun and try to adjust the hdri effect and the sun intensity to get a good contrast between the shadows and the other zones.

For this render, i have tested the fog controllers too and put a morning fog to see how it works.
Image Attachments
new_user_contest_9.jpg

Posted: 18 February 2013 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1009
Joined  2007-04-08
There are some really nice pieces here, I'm enjoying myself looking at them.

My own piece has undergone somewhat of a radical change, but I'm still keeping the essence of the original. Hopefully a render later today.
 Signature 

You’re never too old for metaballs!  ~Michael Frank

Posted: 19 February 2013 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1580
Joined  2007-12-10
Scott-Livingston - 15 February 2013 06:11 PM
Sasje - 15 February 2013 03:48 PM
I did some chances.
Dwsel you’re right about the mountain so I chanced that and give it fully snow
I scale the bears so that it fit more in the scene (polar bears are big bears)
About the sky, I don’t know if this is volumetric clouds.
I think it looks better now.

Comments are welcome.

Looks great to me...nice work! smile I don't know enough about Bryce to recommend something specific, but I wonder if there's some way to make the bears' fur look more lifelike?

Oh, I did really like that mountain you had before, but I agree that it wasn't right for this scene.

One of the slight problems with Bryce is when you import an .obj that has a bump map (for a fur texture for example), the Bryce Mat lab sets it to 0 and it needs altering to give any texture bump (see 1st attached pic).

Having said that, I've got no idea if the model imported in Sasje's render has a bump map texture, but as a great supporter of anything polar bear related (as I'm developing a series greeting cards at the moment - see 2nd attached pic), I'd say that's what it needs.

smile
[ Edited: 19 February 2013 05:58 AM by TheSavage64 ]
Image Attachments
PolarBearReal.jpgBearSleep.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 19 February 2013 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  822
Joined  2008-09-17
Here's my entry for this contest. I wanted to get the same feel as some paintings by Tom Thomson or the Group of Seven and used these references as my inspiration:
http://www.galeriedada.com/img_big/Thom18.jpg
http://www.lochgallery.com/files/lochgallery/imagecache/artwork-image/client-files/artwork-images/jackson-alexander-young-ay/splitrockislandgeorgianbay.jpg

Unfortunately; I couldn't manage any windswept trees. I had to settle for a premade one from the library.
Image Attachments
beginners.jpg
 Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719

Posted: 20 February 2013 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  628
Joined  2010-02-25
Thank you TheSavage64 for the tip, it has a bump map texture
So I chanced the bears

comments are welcome.
Image Attachments
pool_beer_1.jpg
 Signature 

My renders on deviantART http://rendersas.deviantart.com/

Posted: 20 February 2013 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7792
Joined  2009-05-14
Sasje great image, just one suggestion about the shadows...too dark for the surroundings. Ice and snow reflect a lot of light so the shadows are generally lighter...apart from that nice image. I will let the Brycers suggest how to lighten the shadows.
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 20 February 2013 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15599
Joined  2003-10-09
Shadows, umm.

For a start I would tend to have a blue tinge to them, just a tinge, and shadows can be affected a couple of ways, depending how Sasje has the sky lab set up

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/still/to-the-arctic-3d-01.jpg
[ Edited: 20 February 2013 07:36 AM by chohole ]
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 20 February 2013 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-09-17
I would appreciate any comments on my image. smile
 Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2013 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  628
Joined  2010-02-25
These are my settings

Image Attachments
skylab_1.JPGskylab_2.JPGskylab_3.JPGskylab_4.JPG
 Signature 

My renders on deviantART http://rendersas.deviantart.com/

Posted: 20 February 2013 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15599
Joined  2003-10-09
BWSman - 20 February 2013 07:46 AM
I would appreciate any comments on my image. smile

I would pull in more, so the island is mor the point of the image, rather than sitting there in an empty sea.
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 20 February 2013 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2881
Joined  2004-10-25
OK, these are NOT entries. I am NOT a beginning Brycer, though it has been a long time since I've used it.

That said, I started out in 3D with Bryce 4, upgraded to Bryce 5, and even though I had purchased the B5.5, B6 and B7 Pro upgrades after DAZ acquired Bryce, I hadn't used it until I installed it on this newish laptop last month.

Below are some of my earliest Bryce renders. The first, Broken Glass is circa 2003, and the first Bryce render I was happy with. It was also my first attempt at working with booleans, thanks to a tutorial by a gentleman named Peter Sharpe. His site's no longer online, but most of his tutorials can still be found on the Wayback Machine site. I think most of my oldest Bryce renders were based on his tutorials. wink

The 2nd through 4th renders titled, Red Mist, Outer Space and Rolling Hills, are circa 2004, and the 5th render, Night Waterfall, is circa 2005. Rolling Hills was my first render using Bryce 5.

[ Edited: 20 February 2013 08:57 PM by Miss B ]
Image Attachments
BrokenGlass.jpgRedMist.jpgOuterSpace.jpgRollingHills.jpgNightWaterfall.jpg
 Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 20 February 2013 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2881
Joined  2004-10-25
This last render I did last month, which I posted in the Bryce Discussion (Bryce Talk) forum, is my first render using Bryce 7 Pro. I did this a little differently as I created the terrain in another terrain editor/creator called Terragen and exported it as an OBJ and imported it into Bryce. I was surprised and happy that I was able to compose this scene, and have it come out as well as it did. I've tried a few more times since, but the POV (camera view) is very different between the two apps, so the terrains didn't look quite the same in Bryce as they did in Terragen. I guess I got really lucky that first time that it still looked good, if not better, in Bryce.

The only postwork done to the image, aside from my sig, was the addition of some of Ron's birds, as the only 3D bird product I have is Noggin's Macaw, and somehow it just didn't fit the scene. ~ROFL~

Be sure to click to see it unsquished.

[ Edited: 20 February 2013 08:54 PM by Miss B ]
Image Attachments
Terrain1.jpg
 Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 20 February 2013 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-09-17
So I moved the camera closer to the island and it does look better.
Image Attachments
beginners_2.jpg
 Signature 

7 of 10