I'd like to enter this contest; but I've hit a snag. could anyone point me to a tutorial on creating cliffs? I'm trying to get something like that seen in these photos:
Well, I'm hardly the most qualified person to answer this, but you've inspired me to try to figure it out!
Here's what I did:
2. Scaled up the terrain
3. Clicked on the "E" to edit the terrain
4. Used the Raise/Lower control to first raise the terrain until it looks like a plateau
5. Then used the same control to lower it
6. Dampened it to make the cliffs steeper
7. Used the "Eroded" control to erode it
8. Added some noise.
8. Back in Camera view, lifted it up a bit (moved it on the y axis)
9. Clicked on the "M" for materials and changed the material to Pro Materials>Terrains>Volcanic Island
10. I also changed the default sky to something else, and added a water texture to the ground plane. Also used HDRI in the Sky lab.
11. Moved the camera to an appropriate angle
This certainly isn't the only way to do it...and I'm pretty sure it's not the best way...but it is a
Here's how it turned out...no HDRI or anything fancy.
Click thumbnail to see full-size image