Digital Art Zone

10 of 10
WIP THREAD FOR NEW USERS CONTEST, February 2013.
Posted: 25 February 2013 02:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1012
Joined  2007-04-08
Oh, I am so angry!

I woke up this morning and it said my render was at 7%.

I cancelled. I am going to play with the render settings and see if I can get a quicker render done.
 Signature 

You’re never too old for metaballs!  ~Michael Frank

Posted: 25 February 2013 02:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1611
Joined  2007-12-10
Before you start it going again, could you post a screen shot of your render settings?
I'm very sure we can shave hours off the time it's predicting.

This render that I set up last night is a modification of an earlier render if mine. I added water and other stuff to it had all the same element as your render does (water, lots of trees, stones, IBL lighting etc).

This one took 2 hours and 12 minutes. It's still a bit grainy but you'll agree that less than three hours is a significantly shorter render time than you were getting.

Image Attachments
ForestRiver.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 25 February 2013 03:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
TheSavage64 - 25 February 2013 02:37 AM
Before you start it going again, could you post a screen shot of your render settings?
I'm very sure we can shave hours off the time it's predicting.

This render that I set up last night is a modification of an earlier render if mine. I added water and other stuff to it had all the same element as your render does (water, lots of trees, stones, IBL lighting etc).

This one took 2 hours and 12 minutes. It's still a bit grainy but you'll agree that less than three hours is a significantly shorter render time than you were getting.

It was the IBL and the fact that I had 16 rays per pixel though I was sure I dropped that to 4. My bad.

I've changed the render settings, turned off IBL and did a render in 12 minutes. It's too dark, but I don't care, I now have a better base to work from, and I'll probably skip IBL altogether unless I do a new 'final' render overnight.

I'm still very very angry. I've changed a tree because I didn't like the way the leaves were rendering up close, and now I don't like this one either. The trees in Bryce are pants up close. Chohole told me that herself a while ago but I do like to find out these things for myself!

The water looked better WITHOUT the IBL, which was surprising. I think I'll still need another light source if I don't use IBL though.
 Signature 

Posted: 25 February 2013 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1611
Joined  2007-12-10
Were you rendering with True Ambience enabled?
If so, you'll find that IBL is much friendlier if TA Optimisation is switched on in the IBL tab.

As for lack of light... boost your sun up, it goes all the way to 999 and yet most people only set it at 100 which is much too dark for the vast majority of scenes.

Render using Premium, switch on True Ambience and reduce the Maximum Ray Depth from it's default down to 3.

Don't Render to Disc... just use the regular render option.

Make sure that in the "Priority" render option, you have a tick next to 'High'

All these things should speed you up and TA will also lighten your picture.
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 25 February 2013 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
TheSavage64 - 25 February 2013 03:27 AM
Were you rendering with True Ambience enabled?
If so, you'll find that IBL is much friendlier if TA Optimisation is switched on in the IBL tab.

As for lack of light... boost your sun up, it goes all the way to 999 and yet most people only set it at 100 which is much too dark for the vast majority of scenes.

Render using Premium, switch on True Ambience and reduce the Maximum Ray Depth from it's default down to 3.

Don't Render to Disc... just use the regular render option.

Make sure that in the "Priority" render option, you have a tick next to 'High'

All these things should speed you up and TA will also lighten your picture.

True Ambiance wasn't enabled. Sun was set to 100, so I can change that. Was rendering on Premium with Ray Depth of 3, but with 16 rays per pixel, which is quite high. Wasn't rendering to disc.

Now I'm not using IBL, I've set up a separate light behind the scene, but might turn that off and just ramp up the sunlight to see how that goes.

If I use IBL again I'll take note of the TA and optimisation.

Current render thinks it will take 45 minutes.
 Signature 

Posted: 25 February 2013 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  107
Joined  2012-05-06
Thank you Savage64 for your reply and suggestions. I moved the chapel closer to the camera and got a much better result.(didn't need to add any lights). I just changed the position of the sun and got a good view of the Chapel and the Well. The trees I used came with Bryce7 Pro. They are in the installed Library under special trees. The tall bushier one is a Special Aspen and the straighter less leafier one is an Evergreen. I think I am finished except; there is a spot on the back Hill that looks like its a reflection or possibly fog or something.(not really sure what it is. I can't get rid of it and it only appears when I use this particular material. I think the out of memory problem occurs because the Chapel is a prop from my DAZ3D studio.raspberry
Image Attachments
A_Curious_Chapel_A.jpg

Posted: 26 February 2013 01:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-08
I think this is probably the final entry, I just want it done now, got other things I want to achieve.

I'll go so far as to say I'm reasonably happy with the image, though there are things I'm not entirely keen on. But if I keep tweaking, I'll break it!

Posting here in case there is anything glaringly obvious that I've missed simply because I've been staring at it (or a variation of it) for over a week now!

Again, big thanks to those who've given advice on the development of this entry.
Image Attachments
Contest9.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 27 February 2013 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15915
Joined  2003-10-09
Just a quick reminder for thos who have yet to transfer their entry over to the actual contest thread.

Contest closes tomorrow 28th Feb.
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 01 March 2013 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15915
Joined  2003-10-09
CONTEST CLOSED.

Last chance to move your renders over to here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/16060/
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 01 March 2013 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3557
Joined  2012-02-06
Great work, everyone, and good luck!
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 01 March 2013 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2950
Joined  2004-10-25
Good luck from me too! I've enjoyed watching the entries evolve this month. wink
 Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

10 of 10