A few words have been added to the free items’ page:

FREE for Platinum Club or FREE with purchase
of any other product from the store.

Signature 

Posted: 31 January 2013 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  863
Joined  2005-11-06

I have also noticed the trend of not getting sale prices unless you buy a featured item first, hope this isn’t the new way as it will curb my spending big time.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 31 January 2013 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1784
Joined  2005-12-31

Some free things have always been part of the platinum perks. Now I believe they have at least one big plat freebie a month but that has been happening for several months now.

The free with purchase products are often directly related to or add ons for the product that. Most of the time they are not even usable without the original product.

Posted: 31 January 2013 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2003-11-10

edit: nevermind

Posted: 01 February 2013 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  543
Joined  2011-04-12

That’s not a “little” change.  That’s the single most effective thing DAZ could possibly do to discourage new users.  I can say for certain that if the freebies hadn’t actually been free two years ago, I wouldn’t be spending far too much of my money on 3D content now.

Signature 

Not interested in the giant leap backwards that is “Genesis 2”.

Posted: 01 February 2013 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2003-10-09

Quote from newsletter

Another change you will see in the coming week is that our Weekly Freebies will now only be free with the purchase of another item - to everyone BUT Platinum Club Members. These Freebies will continue to be free to you without any additional purchases.

Signature 

Old Posts: 2913
The person who makes no mistakes usually doesn’t make anything—-Edward J. Phelps

Posted: 01 February 2013 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  959
Joined  2006-06-12

NOT a change for the better.
Glad I’m still a PC member.

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 01 February 2013 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  140
Joined  2008-05-09

Sigh….....very, VERY disappointing…...but given DAZ’s recent history of bad decisions (the new forums, the current store layout, replacing the old coupons with the new, limited vouchers, the lack of galleries, etc, etc….), I can’t say I’m completely surprised….

Signature 

My deviantArt Gallery

Posted: 01 February 2013 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11175
Joined  2007-11-06
Murgatroyd - 01 February 2013 06:36 PM

That’s not a “little” change.  That’s the single most effective thing DAZ could possibly do to discourage new users.  I can say for certain that if the freebies hadn’t actually been free two years ago, I wouldn’t be spending far too much of my money on 3D content now.

...if “freebies” required a cash money purchase of another product when I started in this, I probably wouldn’t have bothered with 3D at all.  For months I existed pretty much on freebie content as I evaluated whether or not this was something I would like to continue to the point of sinking my hard earned money into it.

This is not a good thing and I agree, a discouragement to newcomers.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 01 February 2013 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2008-04-30

Im not really surprised either… sad to say.

-MJ

Posted: 01 February 2013 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  190
Joined  2006-01-14

Of course what is interesting in The Freebies section is the fact that DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro has the scratched off price of $249.95. It is the only item in that section that does list an official retail amount.

So, is it software for sale once more (soon) or a ‘perk’ of being a PC Member? IF I recall correctly, there was no price listed for a while beyond the $0.00, but I noticed this some few days ago. Then again, just one purchase grants you a freebie…if it remains there. Hexagon and Bryce didn’t no matter that $19.95 is still peanuts for software.

Hum…

Posted: 02 February 2013 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2003-10-09

I’ve been keeping track of the Weekly Freebies since April 2012.  Considering they are regular store products, DAZ has given away $513.75 worth of content the past 10 months.  I will be the first one to admit that I have been acquiring all of the weekly freebies since I’ve been keeping track, only because they are regular store items.  Are there other sites that gives away regular store content for free?

Image Attachments
ScreenShot018.jpg

Posted: 02 February 2013 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2887
Joined  2009-02-24

I can’t say I’m honestly surprised to see this change, and it’s clear it was done to promote spending rather than having people rely on handouts. Perhaps its a sign that times are tough and Daz is feeling the pinch just as much as the rest of us. To be fair, as illustrated above, they’ve given away hundreds of dollars worth of goods, to say nothing of the fact that some of their software products like Daz Studio are still being offered for free currently. As much as I love freebies, I respect that they need our money to survive as a business, and in these tough times some sacrifices need to be made.

Making the freebies ‘free’ with an additional purchase is actually a pretty smart move in terms of psychology. It promotes sales while still offering items as a bonus. That it remains free to PC members also gently nudges more people towards platinum memberships, which in turn helps them turn a profit. I don’t pretend to know the inner workings of Daz 3D’s financial situation, but It’s hard to imagine quite how they’re sustaining themselves on the content sales alone. Especially with all the crazy sales they’ve had lately!

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 02 February 2013 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2834
Joined  2006-07-31

The free with purchase products are often directly related to or add ons for the product that. Most of the time they are not even usable without the original product.

DAZ3D weekly freebies very rarely require any other item to function. They can be complimentary to some other release but 99% of them are standalone things. Considering that PC members will get them without a need of purchase, I don’t expect this to change.

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis
a way to transfer morphs to Genesis without Gen-X

Posted: 02 February 2013 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1784
Joined  2005-12-31

Kattey, If you had bothered to look at the time stamp before quoting me you would realize it was posted on the 31st. Well before the notice went out. At the time the only frequently occurring freebies that required a purchase had been add on products and mostly for PA products. I was not in fact referring to an announcement that had not yet been made to me.

Posted: 02 February 2013 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  152
Joined  2007-08-25

I wonder how it will be set up, really. Will it be 1 for 1? In other words, if I want to download Daz|Studio, I need to buy 1 thing. If I want to download the Autofit, i need to purchase another. Mill Cat LE? A third. Create Fiery Genesis? A fourth.. PFE? AniMate Sampler?
I could see this getting messy fast :/ I was recently changing my Poser format files all over to DS format, simply because the program was accessible to anyone, and I remember when Daz was all about Tellware, tell your friends, bring out the artist in everyone.. I can’t send over a new person now, and say “Check out the free versions, and the free stuff..get a handle on it, it’s not too hard really..” and have them get hooked anymore.
*sigh* Is Daz secretly under new management or something?  With all the odd changes, the payment/website/design/CC problems, removal of galleries and now removal of true freebies, it almost feels like we’re in the middle of a sloppy acquisition or something. Blah.
Next Up, let’s see if they start charging for the Genesis Essential’s download instead of giving it away with DS. Why not? It’s become a popular character in it’s own right.

Signature 

————-
2012: The world ended. We missed it. Maybe next time.
DVL_LVD @ ShareCG

1 of 8