Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
It was a funny bug, but now it is annoying
Posted: 01 February 2013 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2009-03-09

If you aren’t using network rendering (rendernodes), you can remove the three files “NetworkRendering.dat”, “NetworkRendering.mcx”, and “NetworkRendering.txt” from your Carrara\Extensions folder.

Signature 

Come visit my store!

http://www.daz3d.com/fenric
http://fenric.com/wordpress/store/

Posted: 01 February 2013 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1383
Joined  2011-01-03
Fenric - 01 February 2013 02:02 PM

If you aren’t using network rendering (rendernodes), you can remove the three files “NetworkRendering.dat”, “NetworkRendering.mcx”, and “NetworkRendering.txt” from your Carrara\Extensions folder.

I agree that is the fastest test for a solution. Followed by upgrading to the latest bits.

But my first reply was a bit hasty ... it is possible that there is a bug that is not Daz’s fault at all. It is called a “scribbler” because it is a bug in a device driver that is writing on memory that it doesn’t own.

Normally if you try to write to a memory address you don’t own, you get that Access Violation that is the source of your Carrara crash. Note that I said “device driver” though. Those reside in a special area (along with Windows itself) and have the “power” to write anywhere…fun little buggers to chase down…

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 01 February 2013 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2009-03-09

It sounds like a network stack problem, and that is perhaps the worst of the lot to hunt down.  The network render module is fairly trivial: opening a multicast, promiscuous mode (sorry, that’s what it’s called) UDP port and then listening to it.

It shouldn’t crash like that.  It shouldn’t be ABLE to crash like that.  It’s a driver level error, but why?

So…  driver corruption tends to make things in the network stack just plain not work at all.  I’m inclined to think hardware - a surge over the network cable, or a capacitor going out.

Signature 

Come visit my store!

http://www.daz3d.com/fenric
http://fenric.com/wordpress/store/

Posted: 01 February 2013 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2006-10-13

I wouldn’t be surprised about a cap going out I blew up 3 or 4 on a graphics card on my other computer.

Posted: 01 February 2013 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2006-01-03
Dartanbeck - 01 February 2013 12:33 PM

My daughter has a cat.
I have a fairly powerful vacuum cleaner - a little handheld, but not cordless.
Her laptop overheated with nothing but Windows running.
I sucked and I sucked. Oh that dreaded cat hair takes a long time to suck!
Laptop fixed!
I don’t really like laptops anymore. I like how portable they are, so I’ll likely never be without one, but they don’t make them so you can get at those fans and clean them properly. All you can do is suck. smirk

Arkh!! Do be careful when doing that…in fact…don’t! The static a vacuum cleaner generates will easily fry your hardware and you’ll be shelling out for a new laptop. A better solution is to shave the cat.

wait…maybe not….

Signature 

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

My Daz Gallery
My DeviantArt Gallery.

Posted: 01 February 2013 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5164
Joined  2006-08-27
Madbat - 01 February 2013 10:02 PM
Dartanbeck - 01 February 2013 12:33 PM

My daughter has a cat.
I have a fairly powerful vacuum cleaner - a little handheld, but not cordless.
Her laptop overheated with nothing but Windows running.
I sucked and I sucked. Oh that dreaded cat hair takes a long time to suck!
Laptop fixed!
I don’t really like laptops anymore. I like how portable they are, so I’ll likely never be without one, but they don’t make them so you can get at those fans and clean them properly. All you can do is suck. smirk

Arkh!! Do be careful when doing that…in fact…don’t! The static a vacuum cleaner generates will easily fry your hardware and you’ll be shelling out for a new laptop. A better solution is to shave the cat.

wait…maybe not….

As long as he keeps the laptop plugged in while he’s doing it, it should be okay as it’s grounded and the chassis should direct the stray voltage to the ground. Still, it’s probably a good idea to do it as infrequently as possible and not on a dry winter day.

I would also say that it’s probably better to try and suck the crud out, instead of using compressed air and forcing the crud in.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 01 February 2013 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6088
Joined  2007-12-04

sure would be nice if they’d give a person a way to clean the fan(s). hmmm

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 03 February 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-13

Hey does anyone know about 2D game sprites if you do then I have a question. I plan on rendering 3D sprites. Would it be a good idea to render an animation out in a png sequencer instead of posing render posing render etc. ?

Posted: 03 February 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
The_Grimreaper - 03 February 2013 11:02 AM

Hey does anyone know about 2D game sprites if you do then I have a question. I plan on rendering 3D sprites. Would it be a good idea to render an animation out in a png sequencer instead of posing render posing render etc. ?

It will depend on the game engine. The image format will also depend on the game engine.

Signature 

Posted: 03 February 2013 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-13

The game engine accept transparent png files. I’m using either stencyl or game maker if that is helpful. (Honestly I’m going for game maker I have been using it recently and it is easier for me to use)

Posted: 03 February 2013 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

HI Grimreaper smile

You should be able to do this using Sequenced PNG images, just pose each frame differently and render
It’s not something I’ve done myself, but there have been a couple of people who have done this,.

Perhaps asking in one of the other forums may get you more info.

hope it helps smile

Posted: 03 February 2013 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-13

Ok, do you have a general idea of what forum I should go to?

Posted: 03 February 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  198
Joined  2005-08-31

My son created a game for the iPhone using 3D sprites. I created all the sprites in Carrara and saved them as numbered PNGs. He was able to create a sprite sheet for them and then use that in Xcode. I’m sure it will work with GameMaker.

Posted: 03 February 2013 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-13

Thanks, I thought it was a good idea but wasn’t quiet sure. Also what size was your sprites if you can find out.

Posted: 03 February 2013 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
The_Grimreaper - 03 February 2013 04:34 PM

Thanks, I thought it was a good idea but wasn’t quiet sure. Also what size was your sprites if you can find out.

You should check the documentation of the engine you’re developing for. It will be more specific to what you want to do and you avoid the problems of third-hand information about a different engine possibly leading you down the wrong path. There may even be tutorials you can follow to get practice with the software.

Signature 

2 of 3