Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6134
Joined  2007-12-04

Download the Daz3d Install Manager

Image Attachments
install-manager-dark.pngdaz3d_logo.png
 Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 11 February 2013 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

►►►      Back to Table of Contents

The Daz3d Install Manager
To celebrate Daz3d’s incredible new content management tool, as well as to help answer any questions new user’s may have, I will be installing and using the manager as I put this article together. To assist me in this endeavor, I am using a laptop that has no content or Daz applications installed. I will begin by installing Daz Studio 4.5 Pro, and then continuing on with installing my content with this new manager. Sounds fun, huh! Here we go!
So I’m beginning my journey into the unknown. The first thing I want to do is to go to the Daz3d Install Manager Info Page, where I can learn all kind of things that, previously, I truly had no clue of.
Wow! The page begins with a big word:
Easy
and they aren’t kidding… at least from what I can tell by reviewing the resources on this page. A clever page, well laid out and packed with just the information that a newbie, like myself, needs at this stage in the game. There are options for Windows users and Mac users nicely laid out and clear to understand. Helpful videos related to the use you’ll be getting depending upon the state of your current content.
Before today, I’ve always used a multiple “Runtime” style of keeping my content straight. Well with Daz3d’s “Smart Content” using a special content database known as the “Content Management System”, which is currently used in Daz Studio 4.0 and newer - as well as the beta Carrara 8.5, I will be experimenting by letting this DIM install all of the content for this Laptop directly into the default “My Library” for Daz Studio, and we’ll see what it does for Carrara content when we get there.
The whole appeal to me for doing it this way is simple. First off, I’ve never liked how hard it was to actually ‘remove’ content from a ‘Runtime’ environment. No big deal as I’m used to using it, but now that I can uninstall with the click of a button, why not, right?
Secondly, after checking out the way Daz Studio sorts my various content types, I’m really impressed with how easy it has been for me to find all of my goods.

As I download the installer, I finish scrolling down the Info page noticing a nice FAQ section with some valuable information regarding its basic use, a link to the Reference Guide, and some more great info with a link to their User Interface Page and although the process looks pretty straight forward, if you need more info on using the thing to download your content from Daz, there’s the Downloading with Install Manager (Work in Progress) page. You certainly can’t say that they haven’t put any thoughts into training us on this, can you.
And then when I got to the final section regarding using filters to help sort through what you have available, I’m beginning to see why Frank was so excited about this powerful little tool. They go on and show you the basics on using the robust filtering options and provide a link to their Advanced Filtering Section for those who really want to get down and dirty with their filtering! smirk

Okay, so I’m feeling more confident than ever. No, really… ask administrator Frank. I was really feeling sheepish about this whole “new Tool” business. What’s with that? I should have been all over this right from the start! Especially now that I’ve taken a closer look via this rather splendid Info Page!
Now, if you’ll forgive me for a bit, I’m going to go download Daz Studio and install it. Then I’ll install this newly installed manager system and get some content coming my way… then I’ll report back with my experience.

Okay, first of all… This thing totally rocks!
No more digging through itemized this or order # that. This thing gives you a comprehensive list of EVERYTHING you’ve purchased at Daz3d. I was hoping that it had a way to download and install the software, too… but I can totally understand its not doing that - mainly because there’s that ‘select all’ box at the top… something I should have noticed before deciding to start at the bottom of my list (get that Victoria stuff downloaded and installed right away!!!) and checking every box. Hogwash! It was a very nice experience reminiscing over all of those purchases.
So anyways, since I didn’t have any software installed to run this content, as I mentioned earlier, I began my downloading venture by resetting my DS 4.5 Pro, Bryce 7 Pro, Hex 2.5, and Carrara 8 Pro. What a great experience that is. I think this is going to be the best laptop ever! I’ve been moaning about not having Bryce installed, and not spending time in DS and Hex… come on… do it Dartanbeck… just do it.

So now I have the ultimate Daz3d Professional Artist and Developer Software Suite all installed and ready to rock. But mine is even more special… ‘cause I got Carrara 8 Pro, as well! All of their native content is also installed. The only thing left is to get all of that content onto the laptop. No problem. I’ve done this before - I’m always building a new machine to work on. This time things are different. Very VERY different. Previously, right now I wouldn’t be typing… I’d be double-clicking exe files and clicking ULAs, deselecting, selecting…. Well now that I’m going to just use the Daz Studio default directory (and why not? Now all of my clothes with go into clothes, hair into hair, etc.,) and I have this handy dandy Install Manager… no… really? Hey! This thing will auto install! So as I’m checking boxes, I got so far and decided to hit the “Add to Queue” button. It immediately clicked into download and install mode. Now I know why Daz wanted me to accept the ULA at purchase time. I don’t know what the big deal was about that. If you know you’re not going to use the stuff in any sort of unnatural way… just accept the darned thing and on with the purchase! lol
No more double-clicky till I’m lost in exhaustion… eyelids drawn to a close and my poor mouse clicking finger is accidentally clicking when it shouldn’t just out of some over double-clicky nerve damage syndrome… Nope. This bad boy unit does it all for you. and it all goes where you tell it to go.
Let’s say that you don’t do it like I am. When does a person ever really start over, right? You can set it up to only show the Poser files. So you set those up to install to your various runtime folders, right? So you check the boxes for all of the content that will go into the same runtime and click the Add to Queue button and let it snap! I’m even installing the Poser content into the Daz default directory. It might be weird to get used to at first but, like I said… it’s an experiment. It says in the read me for the install manager (see below) that everything this thing installs will register with the CMS of Daz Studio. So any content that has metadata will now work properly in my Smart Content tab. Looking forward to testing out the dawn of a New Era of Daz Smart Processing - no, I really am.
You see, a while back, I went nuts on free stuff from all over the web. It’s great, it really is. But I ended up with way too much clutter in my runtime folders. I mean, I have a lot of runtime folders, too… but they’re still all cluttered up. I’m really looking forward to having this “uninstall” feature.

So, by the time I got done clicking in boxes, Install Manager already had over 30 products installed! That’s cool. This product gets two thumbs way up from this fella! cool hmm

Back again.
Okay, this is neat. In the window there are three tabs across the top:
Ready to Download - This is the list of all of your Daz3d Content purchases, unless a filter is applied.
Ready to Install - This lists any files that have been downloaded, but not yet installed.
Installed - (this is very cool here) This lists everything that you have installed using this incredibly awesome tool. For every item in the list there is a handy “Uninstall” button! What was I just talking about, eh? Just too cool! cool hmm
Back again.
Really cool. Where you have content installed, if you see a great big fancy check mark next to the item, that means it works with Smart Content. Also, you don’t ever have to check the little boxes on the left to download them. Just hit the big box on the right and it’ll download for ya. If you have the box checked on the bottom, it’ll install for you, too! Over 470 items downloaded and installed since I started this! smile
By default, go into My Documents > DAZ 3D > Install Manager > Downloads
That’s where you’ll find all of the zips that you’ve downloaded - or you can chose to have the deleted upon installation. These folks thought of everything!

Daz3d Devs are truly the best!
Thanks crew!

IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT INSTALL MANAGER
Install Manager, by default, uses a Different Default Installation Directory than the Daz Studio default.
By default, it makes a whole new content directory: “My Daz 3d Library” in the Public User - for Windows

I have a strong feeling that they did this to reduce possible problems - because the installer doesn’t recognize content that you already have installed, but it’s better than sliced cheese for anything you install using the tool. So this new directory provides a safe place that we’ve never before used - so it’s highly unlikely that such a directory already exists on your system.

Check out the Instructions Here and have a look through all of the cool features it offers.

Cheers!

Image Attachments
DIMscreenshot.jpg
 Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 11 February 2013 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

See my “Sneak Peek” Video Introduction to the Install Manager at Carrara Cafe

Documentation

User Guide - This section of the documentation provides tutorials, videos and tips on how to accomplish certain tasks.

Reference Guide - This section of the documentation focuses on breaking the application down into its smaller parts. Things like what something is called, where you can find it and what each option does or means. It serves as the foundation for which the tutorials, videos and tips in the User Guide section can be built on top of and refer back to for more specific information.

Overview

Install Manager is designed to make downloading and installing content purchased from the DAZ 3D store, simple and easy.

Install Manager provides the ability to work in either an online or offline mode. While working_online, Install Manager presents you with a list of available downloads and/or updates for your account. It allows you to selectively download all of the items in the list, specific items in the list or each item individually. You also have the option of automatically installing items in the list after it has finished downloading.

Whether you are working online, or working_offline, Install Manager allows you to manage whether the products it has downloaded are installed, or not. And it does this in the same manner as the downloads list - all items in the list, specific items in the list or each one individually. And, you have the option to automatically delete the installer once a product has been installed in order to help you manage available disk space.

Depending on your specific situation, you may have several accounts that you use to purchase products from DAZ 3D. If you do, Install Manager helps you manage the products from those separate accounts by allowing you to save separate settings for each one.

Since you may also use the products you get from DAZ 3D in applications other than DAZ Studio (i.e. Carrara or Poser), Install Manager allows you to set up multiple installation paths and then bookmark them for convenience. And while it can be used successfully with other applications, it has an additional benefit when used with DAZ Studio v4.x and/or Carrara 8.5 Beta, in that it communicates with the Content Management Service (CMS) to install any metadata that the product provides. When used with DAZ Studio 4.x, it also creates a Product container** in the Content Library Pane where you can find all of the user-facing files installed with a product - regardless of whether the product provides metadata of its own.

** This container is not a folder on your hard drive, but an entry in your Content Database, for the purpose of helping you find all of a product’s files in one place. The files can also be found in the folders where they actually live on your hard drive.

So… Very cool.
Dartanbeck

Image Attachments
installmanagerlogo.png
 Signature 

Posted: 11 February 2013 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Reserved for future article

Image Attachments
daz3d_logo.png
 Signature 

Posted: 11 February 2013 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Daz Forums Software Discussion Field Trip
I know that people can get funny when they feel that “their” software brand isn’t getting the developmental attention it deserves. I wasn’t doing that. I just wanted to have a run through the Daz3d Software forums and have a quick look around. What did I discover? Something beautiful. All of the software offerings here at Daz3d are loved by people. One thing I noticed is that people around here want to help each other learn that software - and that’s a great thing. That, to me, spells C O M M U N I T Y ! ! ! smirk
Seriously though. It all began with this horribly superliciously awesome (yes, joe, Awesome!) Install Manager.
I’ve been using this laptop for not much more than playing the occasional game - some sort of geeky Dungeons and Dragons type of thing - you know the type - that’s me… also streaming some trailers and/or tutorials and just browsing the web. What a waste. I originally bought this beauty (it has a dedicated GT240M graphics card and a true widescreen 18.2” monitor!) just for Carrara. Now it sits. Well this whole DIM celebration got me to uninstall all the crap from this bad little beast and I downloaded the entire Daz3d Professional Artist and Developer Software Bundle plus Carrara 8.5 beta - and just that one. But contrary to what folks have been saying in the beta thread, I reset the Carrara 8.5 beta product download, and I got build 172! I don’t really care, which… I keep every installer I download - but this is a celebration for a download/install tool - and I didn’t have anything on this lappy, so I wanted to download everything! Achhht! I’m getting carried away. I talk about that whole thing in my discussion regarding the Install Manager.
Anyways, this whole software bundle thing has got me nearly, if not even more excited than the DIM. So I start filling in some generic info in my little low-down run down’s on them in here - and I started to get really excited. I couldn’t sleep. Still can’t - but I’m sure I’ll fall over fairly soon!
Phil Wilkes was talking about making and rigging characters and such… I won’t spoil it for you… he gets into it pretty good in his Advanced Carrara Techniques, but he mentions the use of Sculptris or Z Brush or similar ‘sculpting’ tool for the really fine details. While I was just copy and pasting from the Hexagon Product page - simply to have something there for Hexagon 2.5 until I get enough experience or assistance in writing to have a more meaningful banter - and I couldn’t help but notice this line, amongst many other, very good features:

Brush Modeling
Hexagon 2 introduces an evolutionary way to sculpt and to texture your models: Working like your favorite image editing tools, Hexagon 2 software’s brushes emancipate you from the topology of your meshes, and let you smoothly edit, refine and paint your models. Fully supporting all popular graphics tablets, such as the Wacom line, the new brush system offers numerous presets, and supports your own customized brushes and various parameters such as hardness, size, strength, opacity, blending, and more.
Freehand Modeling Tools
Freehand modeling tools Smooth, pinch, inflate, push and pull polygons smoothly. Sculpt your shapes using displacement brushes, and refine the geometry of your models in a fully intuitive way. Displacement Modeling
Displacement Modeling
Use brushes to add high-resolution details, and generate displacement maps or bump maps which then can be exported to Carrara and other external rendering packages.
Bump Map Painting
To keep from generating heavy models while modeling very fine details, such as skin grain or micro-relief, Hexagon 2 let’s you paint displacement as bumps. A bump map simulates geometric displacement, which then can be exported to your rendering software to generate highly realistic images of detailed surfaces.

Okay that’s more than one line… but…
Am I imagining things or is this a lot like Sculptris or Z Brush… maybe even if on an entirely different caliber… but still…
I Have This! I have had this like… since 2007! Why am I not already accustomed to sculpting in Hexagon?!!!
Okay. I figured it out. I was wrong. Yes. I was wrong to have not learned how to do this by now. Well if I was wrong about that… Oh No!!!
Sure enough. I was all manner of wrong. Well - not exactly. I actually ended up ‘acquiring’ all of these pretties in my pursuit to getting Carrara Pro. And that I did correctly - absolutely so. But to have all of these great pieces of software is just so cool - I really feel more strongly now, that I’d like to get to know them all a bit better. Perhaps even use them in my work flow - if it works out that way. Heck if it doesn’t work out, I’ve lost nothing but a bit of relaxation time, having fun trying out a great new piece of Daz Softy, right? Right.

Well, hey… I have all of these nice Bryce tutorials that David Brinnen so graciously gave us. I could start with a little Bryce time, perhaps! I fired up the first one (two - it’s a set) in the list. It’s great! I swiftly entered the Bryce forum. I knew he’s active… I could spot a thread he’s talking in and thank him in person. That’s how I got another link to add to our Bryce tutorials page. And I thanked him. He’s very nice - and very helpful. You know… I don’t need that Bryce tutorials page in here! lol All I need is a link to the Bryce forum. Man! Tutorials here, tutorials there… everywhere are tutorials! Amazing!

First stop in the Hexagon Forum. Stickied tutorials. Same with Daz Studio. Now I’m getting really hungry for some softy tinkering. But before I can do any of that, I need breakfast and then I’ll pass out for a few…

Later all

Image Attachments
DR_Pano_ND.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 11 February 2013 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Links Temporary Parking Spot
I’m really not sure where to put these, so…

Some Links
Carrara 8 / 8.5 Shortcut PDF (english)

Carrara 8 link list (in our german 3D Board)

Carrara 8 / 8.5 german LanguagePack and german Manual

Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2013 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Ask Dartanbeck!
I get all sorts of questions about this or that, and I’m grateful if I’m able to be of some help. This is the main service I intended this whole thread to provide. I’ll consolidate some of these questions and answers here, so that we have a resource from which to learn. This way, if you notice that I am in error in aa answer, or you have more to add, you can let me know, if you would. Here are some questions I’ve recieved in my Inbox at Daz3d that I think others will find helpful:

Daz3d Install Manager Question

Dartanbeck,
Thank you for all the time and effort on the Carrara Thread and the other apps in there like you I have them all.

I didn’t want to cludder the thread and been reading and have probably missed this…I had a question on the Content Install Manager and it seems that some products that are part of Some bundles don’t seem to be there?  Is that true?  I checked my Dinosaur bundle for example and the individual ones arn’t there, some of the newer bundles I purchased do seem to be there, but not all.

The Other question I had was about content install.  I primarly use Carrara.

Currently I have a directory called c:\daz then under that I have ext-content (main directory I spent nearly a year reorganizing into a semblance of working well, Male->M4/M3/David/etc-> then M4->Hair/clothing/character/pose/hand/etc).

I have been not as active for a bit (health) and see the installer lists daz studio (DS), it also lists poser 9 and Poser <9 (For Carrara do we use both 9 and <9?).  It also lists DSON (not sure but isn’t that the newest poser? or Genesis for Poser so not needed if one just uses Carrara (maybe DS)) Since the DS files and Poser files for the same object share geometry I would assume that you would install both types into the same directory.  If I decided to split things up then it could be Male/Female/Animal/etc not sure about clothing if I split up like A4 V4 etc then there are clothing/hair/etc that work on the various figures. 

I wanted to see that I ignore DS.  Now I also see Legacy that seems to be DazStudio 4 vs 4.5 and if both DS and Legacy then I would just use the DS and ignore Legacy as that is for older versions of DS.  I would do both Poser 9 and Poser <9 for Carrara?  I would Ignore DSON

And currently there is no Carrara, Bryce Installer or non model content installer.

Thanks again for   your information

Thanks Milo!
Okay, you’re right about this stuff. There’s a lot for them to do yet, I believe… so let’s take this in bits - let me know if I miss something, okay?

Wow. My runtime directories are also in C:\ Daz3d > etc., (great minds think alike?)
Sorry to hear of bad health. Hope you’re feeling well again.

Now, with that Install Manager:
Bundles - They say that, if you don’t see something that you think should be there, be sure to check “Show Hidden” in the box above the list. I think that they might even just list a bundle, without listing all of its individual pieces, like it was in the downloads page. Not sure. If it is missing stuff, and you know you have it, check your itemized history on Daz3d.com, and let customer service know if its a problem with the DIM.
Legacy DS - I wasn’t sure, so I thought I’d just get that stuff too. No. This is for those who still use Daz Studio 3 or earlier.

Poser stuff doesn’t automatically go into your C: Daz3d folder structure. You can set where you want it to install what you’re downloading ‘right now’ and (I’m not looking at it, but I think…) I’m pretty sure that it will save the different locations that you like to install to.
So what you would do, is set an install location and the click on any items from the list that you want to go to that location. Make sense? In order to do this, you have to click the little gear in the upper right corner and set up the install point.

For my Runtime structure, like yours, I’m still doing it the old fashioned way. Downloading exe. files from my account at daz. I ran the install manager, because I didn’t have any of this on my laptop - so I wanted to get everything! This is where it works best - because then it can manage all of your content for you. In this situation, I’m going for Genesis and Carrara 8.5 (for the future). So I’m installing all of that stuff (including ALL of my Poser content) to that default directory, and using the Daz Studio library system to keep it straight - and to try the use of Smart Content.

Carrara, Bryce, Hexagon, and any content that is specifically design to work with them, are not going to show up in the Install Manager. Any plugins, Carrara scenes, like Howie Farkes, Phillip Drawbridges Starships, etc., are not in the list. I have a feeling that they’re working on this stuff - but it’s not yet supported.

When you go into “setting” (that little gear), there’s an “Applications” tab, where it shows where DS4 and DS3 get installed to - so you can change it, if you have a custom setup. I think that this area will eventually have Carrara and Bryce as well and, if I get what I asked Santa for, Hexagon 64 bit will go there too! lol

This is fun. I need to stop for a bit. Look through what I wrote so far, and let me know if I missed anything.
I hope I didn’t, but if I did, let me know right away, and I’ll get into it!

Milo… Have a good night! Talk to you soon cool hmm

$1,000 Daz3d Scholarship Question

Dartanbeck,
One of my granddaughters is studying graphics in college and is interested in this scholarship.  Where can she find out more, such as how to apply?

$1000 3d Graphic Design Scholarship - Follow this Link
What it is
DAZ 3D is offering a $1000 scholarship to 3D Graphic Design Students seeking financial aid for tuition, books, and education related costs.
Who is Eligible
Legal residents of the USA currently enrolled at an accredited university or college.
Winners
A winner will be chosen and contacted by August 1, 2013. Submission deadline is June 1, 2013.

Follow the above link for full details

Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2013 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Motion Blur

Hi Dartanbeck,

I was looking through your Carrara 8 information thread and was wondering how you did the motion blur effect in this image.

Thanks

Ahhh… that one.
I animated the guy falling into Rosie.
I rendered three or four single frames of the animation with Motion Blur turned on in the Render Room
I used layers in Photoshop for just the animated guy - carefully erasing the whole image all around him, except for himself and the blur with the main render underneath.

Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2013 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Ask Dartanbeck continued:

Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2013 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Ask Dartanbeck continued:

Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2013 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Quick Links Menu
Just a little tool I decided to add to help navigate this, and other threads

►    Carrara Walkthrough Main Index

►    Forum Help Links

►    Useful Links

►    Tutorials Index

►    Back to Table of Contents

Walkthrough is currently under heavy construction, please bear with me

Signature 

Posted: 14 February 2013 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

- Useful Links -

Carrara and related 3d Art Tutorials
This index will direct you to other posts within this forum or directly to the source of the tutorial. When it comes to 3d modeling, some tutorials might be made for, or using software other than Carrara. When this is the case, it will say such in the link information, but will only be included in this manual if I feel a strong relationship to what can be accomplished in Carrara.

Free Software that Makes Life Easier
Head Wax started this incredibly useful thread, leading to all sorts of free resources with many others contributing their findings - making this one incredible shopping mall of freebie software. Thanks Head Wax! wink

Community Favorites Threads Links
Depending upon what’s going on, we can sometimes lose a thread we’re wanting to keep an eye on pretty fast. If there’s a good thread you want to keep in touch with, drop me a line and I’ll link it here.

Post work
Some of us do what we can in Carrara to minimize the need for ‘other application’ intervention before the work of art is to be considered finished, while others know how to take the necessary steps involved with the render room to actually ‘set up for’ continued work outside of Carrara. There are many forms of Post Work, so I intend for this category to grow over time, with some very useful links to various articles within the forums and other sources.

Pros and Cons of Carrara DOF Vs. Postworked DOF
Evil Producer leads a discussion that begins with the question of whether to wait for Carrara to produce its own Depth of Field calculations and Blur effect, or to use Carrara’s many built-in features to assist in applying an Effect in Post.

- For Animation

Project Dogwaffle
PD Pro Howler is fast digital painting and animation software created by an artist for hobbyists and professionals alike.
This link takes you to a thread I began while considering to add this software to my work flow. Within the thread are many links to tutorials and plugins for the software - as well as the Purchase Page at Daz3d and to the PD Official Site.

MAIN FEATURES
* Paint features * Animation features * Filters and Special FX
Many Available Plugins and Tutorials
Direct Focus Toward the Creation and Editing of Animated Scenes

Brainstorm Mapping Software

londonmarlo - 14 February 2013 11:31 PM

Dartanbeck, have a look at this. Its PC based and free.

Free Mind
Current users of FreeMind use it for the following purposes:
  Keeping track of projects, including subtasks, state of subtasks and time recording
  Project workplace, including links to necessary files, executables, source of information and of course information
  Workplace for internet research using Google and other sources
  Keeping a collection of small or middle sized notes with links on some area which expands as needed. Such a collection of notes is sometimes called knowledge base.
  Essay writing and brainstorming, using colors to show which essays are open, completed, not yet started etc, using size of nodes to indicate size of essays. I don’t have one map for one essay, I have one map for all essays. I move parts of some essays to other when it seems appropriate.
  Keeping a small database of something with structure that is either very dynamic or not known in advance. The main disadvantage of such approach when compared to traditional database applications are poor query possibilities, but I use it that way anyway - contacts, recipes, medical records etc. You learn about the structure from the additional data items you enter. For example, different medical records use different structure and you do not have to analyze all the possible structures before you enter the first medical record.
  Commented internet favorites or bookmarks, with colors and fonts having the meaning you want.

-_Milo_- - 15 February 2013 08:50 PM

I don’t know if you have seen FreePlane, its based on the Freemind (above) Codeset but has an expanded feature set still free.

FreePlane
Freeplane is a free and open source software application that supports thinking, sharing information and getting things done at work, in school and at home. The core of the software is tools for mind mapping (also known as concept mapping or information mapping) and using mapped information. Freeplane runs on any operating system that has a current version of Java installed. It can be run locally or portably from removable storage like a USB drive.

Image Viewing/Editing

Phillip Staiger, of Project Dogwaffle recommends
Irfanview
IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003 , 2008, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.
It is designed to be simple for beginners and powerful for professionals.

IrfanView seeks to create unique, new and interesting features, unlike some other graphic viewers, whose whole “creativity” is based on feature cloning, stealing of ideas and whole dialogs from ACDSee and/or IrfanView! (for example: XnView has been stealing/cloning features and whole dialogs from IrfanView, for 10+ years).

IrfanView was the first Windows graphic viewer WORLDWIDE with Multiple (animated) GIF support.
One of the first graphic viewers WORLDWIDE with Multipage TIF support.
The first graphic viewer WORLDWIDE with Multiple ICO support.

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2013 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Carrara for CAD work
John really enjoys using Carrara for CAD work. He also uses it with a 3d printer. He wishes for just a few things to make his experience better.

Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Carraraists In the Spotlight!
There is some impressive stuff going on with Carrara all the time - especially when it comes to those who use it! In this series, I’ll be highlighting various individuals regarding their endeavors in the exciting realms of Carrara - And I’m not using any sort of Hierarchy or rational order. If something moves me into writing, then so it is, and so it shall be.

Holly Wetcircuit
Holly is a Carraraist in many ways. Her knowledge of Carrara is way up there, and she always seems willing to share her expertise with the rest of us. On that note, I’d like to direct you, for a moment, to her wonderful webspace:
3D.Wetcicuit | Tutorials and Freebies for CARRARA
This place should be used as one of your home pages, If you use Carrara and your browser supports multiple tabs as a homepage. Seriously. If you’re interested in plugins for Carrara - and you need to know who has them, what they’re about - she has a nice article in there explaining some of them, but she has the complete Carrara plugin Links list. Most complete list I’ve ever seen. And who better to talk about them? Holly is good at Carrara. When she jumps in to help answer a question you have, know that you’re getting some excellent advice. I really wish I was one of those Batrillionaires or something, I’d see if I could hire her to write tutorials all day and just work on her site - because it’s a very cool place.  Have you ever seen some of her tutorials? They’re great! And she’s now adopted this super-awesome comic strip style for them. Very cool! Great art, excellent freebies, brilliant advice, and just an all around cool Carraraist.
Thanks for everything, Holly!

wendy♥catz
Wendy is really fun and outgoing - as I’m sure you’ve all noticed by now. She must have an incredible powerful computer or a whole lot of patience… probably a whole combination of those and more - much more! I say this because of some of the stuff she does as she pushes the envelop on everything. Her work with Carrara is different. I’m not experienced enough to explain it, so I’ll be updating this as I figure more stuff out - but she’s definitely not a simple “Plug and Play” sort of artist. She tears things apart so she can put them back together differently. She’ll take any (or all?) of Howie Farkes scenes, set the trees, yeah.. all of them, to rustle in the wind and record some really long walk-through style animations. Often with a crazy surprise somewhere along the way! Her YouTube channel, Do Not Click - by wendy♥catz is brimming with activity and I don’t know if she ever sleeps! How else could she get all of this done?
Wendy Girl, You Rock!

BigH
Kinda quiet half the time unless someone rattles his cage or really impresses him, BigH is full of Carrara experience. Often invaluable in solving issues or coming up with ideas. But that’s not what I came here to talk about. I wanted to show off several pages full of BigH renders and animations - because they’re just plain awesome! So, without further ado: This be some of my stuff - by Bigh

tezen

PhilW
It’s always a treat when we get paid a visit to the forums by our very own Carrara Master and Professor, Mr. Phli Wlkes. Phils has several exciting Products in the Daz3d Store and is the video narrator/instructor in the ever-so-incredible Carrara 8 Training Videos from Infinite Skills.
Now take an adventure through his many experiments and discoveries in Phil’s YouTube Features, where you’ll see imaginative animated clips, dynamic cloth and hair experimentation, and other fun videos.

Steve K is a 3d animator using Carrara software to create some fascinating entries for 48 hour film contests and the like. This link should launch a nice playlist of his animation videos on YouTube. Either watch them all in order, or select them individually from the list on the right. Most entertaining videos and Steve K is also an active member in our forum as well - helping us as we all learn and grow together. Thanks, Steve K, for all of your efforts!

Image Attachments
dazHolWetc.jpgdazWendy.gifdazTezen.pngdazPhilW.jpgdaz3d_steveK.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 17 February 2013 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Carraraists In the Spotlight!      ...continued
There is some impressive stuff going on with Carrara all the time - especially when it comes to those who use it! In this series, I’ll be highlighting various individuals regarding their endeavors in the exciting realms of Carrara - And I’m not using any sort of Hierarchy or rational order. If something moves me into writing, then so it is, and so it shall be.

Sci Fi Funk
Musician, Animator, Director… but wait, Steve does a whole lot more! I could go on about how generous he is, giving up gobs of time to record video tutorials about techniques for 3d Art, animating, saving resources, etc., Or I could ramble on about how cool his Carrara 3d animated episodes are, or how great a musician he is… nah. For the time being, I’ll let his videos do the talking! Check this out!
*    Browse your own way through our collection of videos by Sci Fi Funk

Always looking forward to new videos Steve!

evilproducer
His renders and animations are seen across the forums, and his never ending help and support helps all of us to grow in this seemingly limitless endeavor that is Carrara 3d.
*    Demo clip - Black Hole Arrival Test
*    Gallery at Carrara Cafe

GK Dantas
Speaking of ‘helping us all’, GK Dantas has played an enormous impact for much longer than when I’ve been around - as much of his helpful guides were already here when I got here! Still even helpful and a true Carraraists friend!

*    Gallery at Carrara Cafe
*    GK Dantas Store @ DAZ3D
*    Tutorials at Carrara Cafe

*    Note: To play these tutorials, hover your mouse over the title in the box. Click upon the box icon with an arrow point out the upper right corner

ManStan
ManStan has been doing a lot with softbody physics within the beta, and probably the official release versions as well. Every now and again, he’ll turn us onto one of his renders - he does an excellent job. Check this out!
*    Render - Girl in the Parking Lot

Kevin Sanderson
Always a bright light where you’re least likely to expect it - but glad to have it once it comes… Kevin is a friendly and knowledgable fellow who is always as willing to help as he is to learn and will often join in topics and enhance them by expanding upon either the question or the topic. I’ve learned a lot, simply by having him join in. Always a welcome smile to any Carrara thread!
Thanks Kevin!

Like everything around here, this is a work in progress. Please be patient.

►►►      Back to Table of Contents

Image Attachments
dazSciFiFunk.jpgdazKevinSanderson.jpg
 Signature 

5 of 15