Digital Art Zone

12 of 15
►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄
Posted: 13 September 2013 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 166 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6200
Joined  2007-12-04

Well, the way most people do it is, inside the zip, open the ‘content’ folder and just drag the contents into the library folder. The folders and files will just merge. What I was saying in my post about using DIM, is that this process will not ‘uninstall’ any existing version of whatever you’re now installing. A problem could exist in that, if some file was supposed to be removed, it doesn’t. That’s one of my favorite things about DIM - is that it creates uninstallers for everything as it installs. People who have left those unwanted files in are the ones getting the errors.

So if you are opening things up that far, do that only for the products that have already been installed - simply to check to see if the original folder holds more files than the new one. If it does, isolate and omit the files that do not exist in the new one. This could take a long time, however. There may be a possibility that, if you installed the products using a Bitrock Installer, like they used to do, you might have let it create an uninstaller, in which case, there is an uninstaller folder within the library folder. Just run the uninstaller of anything that you are now going to install. This doesn’t help you out for the next time, because drag and drop doesn’t create uninstallers.

This really isn’t supposed to be a headache experience.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 13 September 2013 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 167 ]
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2012-06-06

Thanks!!  No headache here… but I will probably have a stiff drink when I get home. I’m placing all the extracted files into corresponding locations in the program folders…. including any runtime files. I’m just opening folders until I don’t find a matching folder and place the new folder there.

Example:
Extracted ExpressiveGenesis/Content/People/Genesis/Poses/Expressive for Genesis: the “Expressive for Genesis” folder was placed into:
Program Files/DAZ 3D/Carrara8.5/content/People/Genesis/Poses/

If this doesn’t work, I will get the gov’t computer admin to install DIM on this computer and start from scratch.

Posted: 13 September 2013 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 168 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
Old_Whisperer - 13 September 2013 09:31 AM

Thanks!!  No headache here… but I will probably have a stiff drink when I get home. I’m placing all the extracted files into corresponding locations in the program folders…. including any runtime files. I’m just opening folders until I don’t find a matching folder and place the new folder there.

Example:
Extracted ExpressiveGenesis/Content/People/Genesis/Poses/Expressive for Genesis: the “Expressive for Genesis” folder was placed into:
Program Files/DAZ 3D/Carrara8.5/content/People/Genesis/Poses/

If this doesn’t work, I will get the gov’t computer admin to install DIM on this computer and start from scratch.

I’ll join you on that stiff drink.
It ‘s turning out that this medical catastrophe that my daughter is due to her not taking her freaking medication - at ALL! Darn it! She’s 26 yrs old, lives on her own - we (my wife, son, and I) are constantly there for her. But we cannot help her take her medication. She always tells us that she…. alright… enough of my whining. Still… I’ve have a Wild Turkey straight up. Okay, make that three! wink

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 16 September 2013 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 169 ]
Joined  2012-06-06

UPDATE: Was able to install DIM… used the download (no install). Dumped anything related to DAZ 3D on the stand-alone and started from scratch. Transferred files and DIM to stand-alone computer and install went well. Still trying to find out which folder to place “My Objects”. It did reside in “My Presets”, but I can’t find a matching folder in the new install.

P.S.: I think Sailor Jerry helped.

Posted: 16 September 2013 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 170 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5778
Joined  2006-08-27
Old_Whisperer - 16 September 2013 10:10 AM

UPDATE: Was able to install DIM… used the download (no install). Dumped anything related to DAZ 3D on the stand-alone and started from scratch. Transferred files and DIM to stand-alone computer and install went well. Still trying to find out which folder to place “My Objects”. It did reside in “My Presets”, but I can’t find a matching folder in the new install.

If you’re talking about the My Objects folder for the Object Browser, you could always create your own where you want it, and manually add it to Carrara’s browser, by clicking the little black icon on the top far right side of the Browser window. You’ll have the option to add a folder, simply navigate to it in the dialogue that opens and click Okay. It will appear at the bottom of the list in the Objects Browser.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 16 September 2013 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 171 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
evilproducer - 16 September 2013 10:39 AM
Old_Whisperer - 16 September 2013 10:10 AM

If you’re talking about the My Objects folder for the Object Browser, you could always create your own where you want it, and manually add it to Carrara’s browser, by clicking the little black icon on the top far right side of the Browser window. You’ll have the option to add a folder, simply navigate to it in the dialogue that opens and click Okay. It will appear at the bottom of the list in the Objects Browser.

There’s that, but then the directory ends up at the bottom instead of the top - I like the top! wink
In the event that you don’t get a DAZ 3D > Carrara 8.5 folder in your My Documents folder, I believe that all you need do is to fire up Carrara for the first time, perhaps open a few things, you know; play around a bit. It should make one.
If not, just make it. Actually, Why not read through this article, and see if that helps wink

Signature 

Posted: 25 September 2013 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 172 ]
Joined  2012-06-06

After using CARRARA, it created the folders, My Objects, My Presets,. etc.

NEW Question… is there any way to separate the browser from the sequencer tray? It would be nice to view both at the same time and I have more than enough desktop space. I have 2 30” monitors… the left has full screen 3D View. The right is where I dock the tools and properties windows and the bottom half has the sequencer (and browser tab). I have all this empty space that is just begging for the browser window.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
OW

Posted: 25 September 2013 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 173 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

I was just about to say “no”, because I can’t, nor can you at this moment. If there’s some clever way of doing it, I’m afraid to say that it would require a plugin at the very least - one which I have never seen to exist - and one which I have serious doubts that it can exist… just sayin’. Hmnpf! Sounds like a cool thing, though… I hope I get proven wrong on that initial “no” I caught myself almost saying!

Signature 

Posted: 25 September 2013 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 174 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2125
Joined  2008-01-28

gee dart, there I was getting the feeling that you and Andy had gone on holidays together without leave, lucky you showed up smile

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 04 October 2013 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 175 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2005-06-16

Please note that the link to the SDK (from this posting) is now dead.

Signature 

Posts on previous forum: 218. And yeah, I was bitchy back then too.

Posted: 04 October 2013 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 176 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  140
Joined  0

Here the link to the SDK: http://carraracafe.com/downloads/?did=23

rk.

Posted: 04 October 2013 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 177 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
head wax - 25 September 2013 06:50 PM

gee dart, there I was getting the feeling that you and Andy had gone on holidays together without leave, lucky you showed up smile

Sorry Sir,
I am rather ‘away from the internet’ these days - fighting to get back on wink
I have a lot that I want to fix and a lot that I’d like to write and show. It’s really cool though… I’ll get a few seconds to just pop in, pick a topic and open the reply window and just start typing. That’s why I ‘ve missed some posts - ‘cause I’ll have that reply window open for quite some time before I finally finish typing and hit send.

Territan - 04 October 2013 03:41 PM

Please note that the link to the SDK (from this posting) is now dead.

Fixed!
Rather quickly, thanks to:

rk66 - 04 October 2013 04:07 PM

Here the link to the SDK: http://carraracafe.com/downloads/?did=23

rk.

Thanks! smile

Signature 

Posted: 05 October 2013 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 178 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  140
Joined  0

Hi,
and here the Shortcut Reference (PDF) for Carrara 8 and 8.5,
updated to version 8.5.0.243.

http://carraracafe.com/downloads/?did=27

rk.

Posted: 05 October 2013 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 179 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Thanks for these!
Anyone with links important to Carrara users, please share them and I’ll find good places for them within! smile

Side note - I think it’s kind of a bummer that things like this shortcut map document is something that requires a Cafe Login. To me, this should be something that any visitor should be granted access to. But that’s just me.

EDIT: Added to the top of the Table of Contents post, just under the user manual links smile

Signature 

Posted: 06 October 2013 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 180 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Modeling for Genesis
Since the addition of Genesis compatibility to Carrara, we now have the ability to use the Triax rigging tools in Daz Studio Pro to our advantage as Carrara users. By using that type of workflow, what we end up with is actual conforming items in our libraries, just as if we purchased the stuff from the store.

Over in the DAZ STUDIO forums, Hellboy has instituted a simplified guide to Genesis content creation, and has asked for clarification on anything he may be doing differently than how it should be done - so that he may update the guide - in my opinion, an excellent plan - very similar to what I’m trying to do in this thread - have it grow and live as information becomes different or new. So without further ado, here’s his guide:

Hellboy’s Simplified Guide to Genesis Content Creation

I will be expanding this post with more links as we go. But I needed to get a start - and I fell that this is a good one!

*UPDATE*

Check out this new tutorial by DAZ 3D: Less Can Be More!

Signature 

12 of 15