Sorry about this, FD. I answered these before - but something strange happened - and my post didn’t turn out as I had typed it. We’ll try again.
So here are some Carrara questions I need to find answers to. Anything you can offer on this topic would help.
On “Daz Installer Manager”
1. Are there products that should NOT be installed using this app but should instead be installed manually? If some should be installed manually, how do you know which ones?
Not really. DIM should be able to install everything in your Product Library in your DAZ 3D Store Account. If it isn’t working on some, individual product, DAZ should be made aware of that fact - and then you can simply install manually.
Now that DAZ is doing away with the installers in favor of .zip and/or DIM, I am really pleased with how this is working out. I truly enjoy manual install from zip - as I can then just open the zip again to see what went where - and what it’s called within the software. Love it!
On “Smart Content” tab, under “Products”
1. What does “smart” mean? Is there a relationship between products that are checkmarked “Smart” in the Daz Installer Manager and those that appear in “Smart Content”?
A check under “Smart” means that it contains the metadata needed for Smart Content to work (in DS and Carrara)
2. Some products I have downloaded show up twice - one with a “Ds” (DazStudio) at the end and other “Ps” (Poser). In some cases, like for buildings, nothing shows up in the ones marked “Ds” but do for “Ps.” Why is this? If this is the way it is supposed to be, why have “Ds” products appear at all?
There are at least a couple reasons. First being how the materials are handled. In the past there was no separation, as everything was mad to work with Poser. Times have changed. For my own needs, I have been using the Poser installs for everything except for Genesis items. DAZ Studio can easily open Poser products of this type - but if I were to want to use DS as my render option, I’d install the DS versions too.
I am currently sticking with my “Runtime” system for everything except Genesis - which I’m using Daz Studio method for - since Genesis works that way - Genesis is a Daz Studio asset. SO if it’s not Genesis related, I set up DIM to install it to my appropriate Runtime folder.
3. I have a number of products that just don’t appear at all. From the product descriptions, they are not cameras, lights, or materials (though materials might be included in the package). Why would this be? A good example are a number of “Lisa’s Botanical” products I purchased. The products appear in the list under “L,” but they appear as blank when I select them.
4. Why would some product contents show up elsewhere (icons appear), such as under the “Content” tab, but not show up under the same product name in this area (no icons)? Is this a sign there was an installation error?
Okay, this is why I have kept my DAZ Studio library free from all except Genesis related items. Other products have used different structures over the years - where DAZ has specific folders where Genesis creators put their stuff. Anyways, these folders are actually not where you need to look. The reason that they are empty is because they contain nothing of use to Carrara. You have to find the actual content folders. Probably under the My Daz3d Library Runtime folder. It really gets messed up if you just let the installers add all products to the default library like that. I wish it wasn’t so. The ReadMe’s file for the product in question should give the clues needed to find out where the product got installed.
1. Some products must be mapped onto other products (like clothing on a character). Some of these products only work with certain generations of characters (V4/M4, Genesis, V5/M5, etc). Is there an easy way to know this, or is this learned just through experience?
This is where a good Runtime structure has helped me out through the years. As you buy and install products, they go to a place that is organized by me - according to how I expect to find and use it. The names will likely be of no useful benefit in that regard - most of the time. M5, V5, G5… these are all Genesis people. Those I would install as DAZ Studio content into the library used for that. DIM defauts to “My Daz3d Library”, while the older installers used “My Library” within “My Documents > DAZ 3D > Studio”.
2. How should products like hair and clothing be added? Sometimes they don’t seem to “attach” themselves to the character.
3. If I drag a product to the Instances tab or to the display window and nothing happens, Carrara provides no feedback as to why. How do I find out the reason?
Thanks for your work on the manual!
When you have the appropriate figure selected in Carrara and then double click the hair or clothing, it will auto conform. Otherwise it won’t - but will just add it to the scene. For Genesis, I believe you select Genesis, not the first in the hierarchy, but the second - just above “Actor”. Alternate method: Drag the item directly to that line: Genesis, in the above example. Otherwise, with the new hair or outfit selected, you can use “Fit To” in the general tab.
I had much more detailed explanations before - which really bums me out that they’re missing. That was quite some time ago.
Please let me know if you need further explanations to any of this. Really sorry, FD.