Something else in Daz Studio that are not compatible are materials.
Since these things are not compatible, please make sure that you don’t buy products of this nature with the intentions of using them in Carrara, unless they come with a package that contains the stuff that you do want that is compatible.
Okay, DB, I’ve been putting off digging into this topic for some time now, and I’ve hit a major roadblock that I need removed. Maybe you can help, or at least point me in the direction of how to work through these issues. If no materials exist to answer these questions, maybe you will consider expanding your manual content to cover these?
I haven’t seen a lot of material out there yet on how Carrara 8.5 is suposed to work with Poser/Daz content, but I’m encountering some difficulties. Maybe I’m the only one who is experiencing this. And if so, I’m a bigger noob than I thought!
So here are some Carrara questions I need to find answers to. Anything you can offer on this topic would help.
On “Daz Installer Manager”
1. Are there products that should NOT be installed using this app but should instead be installed manually? If some should be installed manually, how do you know which ones?
On “Smart Content” tab, under “Products”
1. What does “smart” mean? Is there a relationship between products that are checkmarked “Smart” in the Daz Installer Manager and those that appear in “Smart Content”?
2. Some products I have downloaded show up twice - one with a “Ds” (DazStudio) at the end and other “Ps” (Poser). In some cases, like for buildings, nothing shows up in the ones marked “Ds” but do for “Ps.” Why is this? If this is the way it is supposed to be, why have “Ds” products appear at all?
3. I have a number of products that just don’t appear at all. From the product descriptions, they are not cameras, lights, or materials (though materials might be included in the package). Why would this be? A good example are a number of “Lisa’s Botanical” products I purchased. The products appear in the list under “L,” but they appear as blank when I select them.
4. Why would some product contents show up elsewhere (icons appear), such as under the “Content” tab, but not show up under the same product name in this area (no icons)? Is this a sign there was an installation error?
1. Some products must be mapped onto other products (like clothing on a character). Some of these products only work with certain generations of characters (V4/M4, Genesis, V5/M5, etc). Is there an easy way to know this, or is this learned just through experience?
2. How should products like hair and clothing be added? Sometimes they don’t seem to “attach” themselves to the character.
3. If I drag a product to the Instances tab or to the display window and nothing happens, Carrara provides no feedback as to why. How do I find out the reason?
Thanks for your work on the manual!