Digital Art Zone

9 of 15
►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄
Posted: 07 April 2013 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2010-11-30

Thanks Dartanbeck for the kind words.  I got just about all the corrections done, redid and added stuff to some stuff I had posted before.  All the creators of plugins for C8 that you can still get are now listed.  I made that a priority over the FAQ sections.  The DAA 3D plugin entry is going to get a good bit of work done to in the next few days.  till need to finish up with some of the FAQs and do a final check for typos after that.

Posted: 14 April 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  401
Joined  2012-04-01

Not sure if it already has been posted here, but Jay_NOLA mentioned that the Quick Tour for Carrara 6 videos are worth viewing, even for Carrara 8 since it covers the basics. Can be found at the bottom of: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/carrara/start

It should be in the Carrara 8 Introduction I guess…

Signature 

Everything about Carrara: http://www.carraracafe.com/

Posted: 14 April 2013 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6469
Joined  2007-12-04

On it! Thanks for this link. I have this from my copy of Carrara 6 Pro… I think it’s really cool!
I’ll post a link to that page around here, but also a direct download link to the files.
Thanks for the heads up!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 18 April 2013 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Quick Links Menu
Just a little tool I decided to add to help navigate this, and other threads

►    Carrara Walkthrough Main Index

►    Forum Help Links

►    Useful Links

►    Tutorials Index

►    Back to Table of Contents

Walkthrough is currently under heavy construction, please bear with me

Image Attachments
first_1.3_Render3_.jpg
 Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 24 April 2013 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2005-10-11

Hi Dartanbeck,

are you creating a webpage for your Quick Links Menu?
If not, I hope you will rather than just keeping the info in
the thread.

There are so many links it would be good to put them all in one page.

Here’s a page I did for Blender
using CSS3 Menu (free version). 

BTW,  www. carraraportal.com is available.

wink

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

Posted: 24 April 2013 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
megacal - 24 April 2013 06:40 PM

Hi Dartanbeck,

are you creating a webpage for your Quick Links Menu?
If not, I hope you will rather than just keeping the info in
the thread.

There are so many links it would be good to put them all in one page.

[u=http://www.blenderportal.com/]Here’s a page I did for Blender
using CSS3 Menu (free version). 

BTW,  www. carraraportal.com is available.

wink

Cool. Thanks for the ideas.
Yeah… you did a great job on that.

Also… I just added the first in a new series of video walkthroughs for Carrara:
A Basic Shader Walkthrough Part1
Not sure if anyone is interested in seeing more of this sort of thing…?

Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2013 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2005-10-11

I just added the first in a new series of video walkthroughs for Carrara:
A Basic Shader Walkthrough Part1
Not sure if anyone is interested in seeing more of this sort of thing…?

I would! smile 

And bet many others would also.

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

Posted: 24 April 2013 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1543
Joined  2008-01-01

Nice tut, Dart - I like your laid-back and informative style and would like to see more:).

The title is misleading, though.  I was expecting a walkthrough of the shader room, explaining the many options and possibly making a shader, but it is specific to fixing the V4 textures, rather than a general walkthrough.

Still, keep it up, your’e doing great!

Posted: 25 April 2013 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
megacal - 24 April 2013 08:13 PM

I would! smile 

And bet many others would also.

Roygee - 24 April 2013 08:23 PM

Nice tut, Dart - I like your laid-back and informative style and would like to see more:).

The title is misleading, though.  I was expecting a walkthrough of the shader room, explaining the many options and possibly making a shader, but it is specific to fixing the V4 textures, rather than a general walkthrough.

Still, keep it up, your’e doing great!

Yeah… I should fix the title and apply an explanation - the reason I began this way is due to questions from new users. Sorry about that. Later (in part 2 or 3) I finally get away from V4 and into the rest - but only on a basic level.

Thank you both. I was very sick when I edited this one. Feeling a little better today - hope this continues. The videos I recorded for the Environ Kits: Woodlands are actually much smoother - vocal-wise.

Image Attachments
Doc3.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 30 May 2013 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  546
Joined  2011-07-03
Dartanbeck - 02 February 2013 12:04 AM

Something else in Daz Studio that are not compatible are materials.
Since these things are not compatible, please make sure that you don’t buy products of this nature with the intentions of using them in Carrara, unless they come with a package that contains the stuff that you do want that is compatible.

Okay, DB, I’ve been putting off digging into this topic for some time now, and I’ve hit a major roadblock that I need removed. Maybe you can help, or at least point me in the direction of how to work through these issues. If no materials exist to answer these questions, maybe you will consider expanding your manual content to cover these?

I haven’t seen a lot of material out there yet on how Carrara 8.5 is suposed to work with Poser/Daz content, but I’m encountering some difficulties. Maybe I’m the only one who is experiencing this. And if so, I’m a bigger noob than I thought!

So here are some Carrara questions I need to find answers to. Anything you can offer on this topic would help.

On “Daz Installer Manager”
1. Are there products that should NOT be installed using this app but should instead be installed manually? If some should be installed manually, how do you know which ones?

On “Smart Content” tab, under “Products”
1. What does “smart” mean? Is there a relationship between products that are checkmarked “Smart” in the Daz Installer Manager and those that appear in “Smart Content”?
2. Some products I have downloaded show up twice - one with a “Ds” (DazStudio) at the end and other “Ps” (Poser). In some cases, like for buildings, nothing shows up in the ones marked “Ds” but do for “Ps.” Why is this? If this is the way it is supposed to be, why have “Ds” products appear at all?
3. I have a number of products that just don’t appear at all. From the product descriptions, they are not cameras, lights, or materials (though materials might be included in the package). Why would this be? A good example are a number of “Lisa’s Botanical” products I purchased. The products appear in the list under “L,” but they appear as blank when I select them.
4. Why would some product contents show up elsewhere (icons appear), such as under the “Content” tab, but not show up under the same product name in this area (no icons)? Is this a sign there was an installation error?

Others:
1. Some products must be mapped onto other products (like clothing on a character). Some of these products only work with certain generations of characters (V4/M4, Genesis, V5/M5, etc). Is there an easy way to know this, or is this learned just through experience?
2. How should products like hair and clothing be added? Sometimes they don’t seem to “attach” themselves to the character.
3. If I drag a product to the Instances tab or to the display window and nothing happens, Carrara provides no feedback as to why. How do I find out the reason?

Thanks for your work on the manual!
FD

Signature 

The most complex object in mathematics, the Mandelbrot Set ... is so complex as to be uncontrollable by mankind and describable as ‘chaos’. — Benoit Mandelbrot

Posted: 30 May 2013 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
FractalDimensia - 30 May 2013 09:40 AM
Dartanbeck - 02 February 2013 12:04 AM

Something else in Daz Studio that are not compatible are materials.
Since these things are not compatible, please make sure that you don’t buy products of this nature with the intentions of using them in Carrara, unless they come with a package that contains the stuff that you do want that is compatible.

Okay, DB, I’ve been putting off digging into this topic for some time now, and I’ve hit a major roadblock that I need removed. Maybe you can help, or at least point me in the direction of how to work through these issues. If no materials exist to answer these questions, maybe you will consider expanding your manual content to cover these?

I haven’t seen a lot of material out there yet on how Carrara 8.5 is suposed to work with Poser/Daz content, but I’m encountering some difficulties. Maybe I’m the only one who is experiencing this. And if so, I’m a bigger noob than I thought!

So here are some Carrara questions I need to find answers to. Anything you can offer on this topic would help.

On “Daz Installer Manager”
1. Are there products that should NOT be installed using this app but should instead be installed manually? If some should be installed manually, how do you know which ones?

On “Smart Content” tab, under “Products”
1. What does “smart” mean? Is there a relationship between products that are checkmarked “Smart” in the Daz Installer Manager and those that appear in “Smart Content”?
2. Some products I have downloaded show up twice - one with a “Ds” (DazStudio) at the end and other “Ps” (Poser). In some cases, like for buildings, nothing shows up in the ones marked “Ds” but do for “Ps.” Why is this? If this is the way it is supposed to be, why have “Ds” products appear at all?
3. I have a number of products that just don’t appear at all. From the product descriptions, they are not cameras, lights, or materials (though materials might be included in the package). Why would this be? A good example are a number of “Lisa’s Botanical” products I purchased. The products appear in the list under “L,” but they appear as blank when I select them.
4. Why would some product contents show up elsewhere (icons appear), such as under the “Content” tab, but not show up under the same product name in this area (no icons)? Is this a sign there was an installation error?

Others:
1. Some products must be mapped onto other products (like clothing on a character). Some of these products only work with certain generations of characters (V4/M4, Genesis, V5/M5, etc). Is there an easy way to know this, or is this learned just through experience?
2. How should products like hair and clothing be added? Sometimes they don’t seem to “attach” themselves to the character.
3. If I drag a product to the Instances tab or to the display window and nothing happens, Carrara provides no feedback as to why. How do I find out the reason?

Thanks for your work on the manual!
FD

Signature 

Posted: 17 June 2013 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8436
Joined  2009-07-13

nm

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 17 June 2013 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

I don’t know what nm means, but… what the heck happened to my above reply to FD? I answered many of those questions, but now… argh… I’ll get that fixed. Sorry about that!

Signature 

Posted: 17 June 2013 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8436
Joined  2009-07-13

same thing as me I think
I quoted him and added some answers and lost it all
too lazy to think about it again so put NM for nevermind!
I figured you would answer better anyway

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 17 June 2013 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Figured it out as I sat on the can just after asking! lol

Signature 

9 of 15