1 of 15
►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄
Posted: 30 January 2013 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5940
Joined  2007-12-04

Carrara Information Manual

This thread is intended to supplement and enhance the Carrara User’s Manual. Carrara 8 ships with a Carrara 6 manual. The links below will open the latest versions:

New!!!  Online Carrara Documentation Wiki

Carrara 7 User Guide   Revision G -  11 December 2008

Carrara 8 Basic User Guide   beta 0.2 -  17 June 2010

Great resources for learning the vast features and abilities that you have with this software. Although many things about Carrara are easy to learn at their very basic level, right from the interface, it helps to explore deeper by seeing what the manuals have to say. Very well written, you could be amazed at what you’ve been missing out on all these years!

Carrara Keyboard Shortcuts Reference
Ever want to see all of the shortcuts to Carrara tools in one, organized document? Well here you go!

Carrara 6 Quick Tour - This file was originally provided with Carrara 6. Much of the information in it applies to Carrara 7 and 8 as well. It is about 64 MBs in size.
It’s a nice little visual walkthrough of various features within Carrara. I think it’s a nice little thing to try if you just bought Carrara and would like to see what it has to offer. Even though Carrara will provide much more than what any manual or tutorial could ever hope to explain! Click Here to Download the File

►    Carrara Cafe      ►    Visit Carrara Cafe Direct!      ►    100+ TUTORIALS at CARRARA CAFE   

2008 Siggraph Carrara Demo Reel - posted by Marcelo Teixeira (GK DANTAS)

Table of Contents

►►►  Carrara Resources  ◄◄◄   

►►►  Carrara translation in German  ◄◄◄   

►►►  Special Link List for Carrara  ◄◄◄   

►    Carrara 8.5 Installation Guide

►    Really Getting Started in Carrara

►    Forum Help Links

►    Genesis - Carrara 8.5 - DIM Support Thread Links
                Got questions about Genesis use in Carrara, DIM use for installing?
                This page lists links to threads that have answered many questions to common problems

►    Carrara 8 Introduction

►    History of Carrara by Ringo Monfort

►    Classic Carrara - Render Images by Ringo Monfort

►    Carrara Walkthrough
                Join Carrara enthusiast, Dartanbeck, for a stroll through some of the basic concepts
                that all Carraraists should get to know early on in their experience to help for a smooth working experience.

►    Cripeman’s Carrara Video Tutorials Index
                Carrara Community’s very own Super Hero takes plenty of time from his busy life to
                explore many exciting features of this amazing 3d content manipulation, modeling and animation suite

►    GK Dantas’ Video Manual Index
                Carrara Cafe’s Die-Hard Instructor - now with an easy-to-use index of links

►    Carrara and related 3d Art Tutorials
                Carrara Community Tutorials and Articles to help you get the most out of this incredibly
                feature rich authoring software. From lighting to animation, the list keeps growing so check back often!

►    Working with Content
                With Carrara 8.5 beta, this software is getting much closer to true compatibility
                with Daz Studio. This article attempts to illustrate what can and cannot be taken back and fourth.
                It also covers some of the basic techniques required to get the most out of any Poser/DS content
                within Carrara.

►    Carrara Plugins FAQ & Information   -  By Jay_NOLA
                Jay compilled and organized a great measure of info regarding Plugins specific to our
                beloved Carrara. FAQ, Information and Links to help you determine which are right for you. Thank You Jay_NOLA!

►    Comprehensive List of Video Tutorials on Carrara - by FractalDemensia
                The purpose of this thread is to collect, consolidate, and make available a comprehensive list of all video tutorials available on Carrara.

►    What’s New for Carrara 8
                What does the Daz3d store have to say about their amazing, Flagship Software?

►    Technical Specifications and Features Comparison
                See for yourself, a list of the named features of Carrara 8.
                Add your intuition and imagination and the sky is no longer a limit!

►    What Content can I use in Carrara?

►    Carrara 8.5 and Genesis

►    Modeling for Genesis

►    Genesis and aniBlocks

►    Dynamic Hair

►    AniMating in Carrara

►    Some Miscellaneous Tips & Tricks

►    Carrara Plugins

►    Carrara & Computers

►    How to Build Your Own Carrara Workstation

►    Buying a Workstation

►    Useful Links

►    Old Daz3d Forum - Helpful links to old forum threads

►    Carraraists in the Spotlight!

►    The Carrara Community Movie Project
                    This is a consolidation of CMP links

►    Community Favorites Threads Links

►    Dartanbeck’s Fun Videos

►    Download Carrara 3D Expo Magazines Direct!

Carrara 8 Training Videos  from  Infinite Skills
These are explanations of the training videos featuring Phil Wilkes and include some great sample footage from the series. I strongly recommend these products unless you feel that you are an absolute expert at using Carrara.
Learning Carrara 8
Advanced Carrara Techniques

See the Daz3d Carrara 8 Promo Reel
Inside Daz3d The Good Ol’ Days - Led by Blaine Furner

Cripeman’s dedication to Frank Frazetta
Where he links to a feature-length special on the artist himself:
Frank Frazetta - Painting with Fire

Daz3d Professional Artist and Developer Software Suite
              Bryce 7 Pro              Daz Studio 4.5 Pro              Hexagon 2.5

Check out the New Daz3d Install Manager - It Totally R O C K S !
Daz Forums Software Discussion Field Trip

►    SDK for Developers

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Image Attachments
carrara-logo-large.pngdazlogo.jpgDart-Dragon-3.jpgc85final.png
 Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 30 January 2013 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Carrara 8
The Best Choice for 3d Modeling, Rendering and Animation - Based the the idea that it treats Daz/Poser figures, props and poses like native content, it has an incredible assortment of tools for modeling, animating, and shading all under one roof with an incredibly comfortable interface.
See the Daz3d Carrara 8 Promo Reel

Technical Specifications and Features Comparison
See for yourself, a list of the named features of Carrara 8. Add your intuition and imagination and the sky is no longer a limit!

Carrara has a vast collection of features built in to make our lives easier, no matter what we use it for. Some examples include (but are not limited to):

* Volumetric Primitives such as Fire, Fog, Clouds* along with the impressive Ocean Primitive
These powerful features are not to be underestimated. Simply drag one into your scene and you have an object that can give you a variety of effects. Each of them contains automatic animation controls and several options for changing their appearance and/or behaviors entirely.
Cripeman gives a quick look at a few of these in his Volumetrics & FX Tutorial.
*There are other clouds in addition to the Volumetric Clouds - Author clarification by request

-  Fire   -
Drop in the Fire primitive and enter the model room to set all sorts of parameters to create the look you want. If your rendering a still image, your fire is done… render away! If your filming an animation, cruise the timeline and set the completion percentage how you’d like your fire to behave. You can animate any of the parameters as well. The Fire primitive can take you far beyond making fire, however, with a little imagination. Change the shape and color, how it looks and behaves and you can create things like animated wave caps for ship wakes or waves hitting the rocks or beach, Magical effects for your spell-casting characters, make eerie visual effects for the sky or haunting camera effects… and that’s just the Fire primitive. There are many others!
Evil Producer did a great job with his Torch Fire demonstration and Fire Test
Cripeman helps you make a single flame for use on candles and such in his Playing with Fire tutorial.

-  Ocean   -
Drop an Ocean Primitive into your scene and you have a beautiful representation of water with waves that can be set in motion to follow the wind. Great for stills and animations alike. Carrara Native Content also contains a variety of intensely excellent water shaders. If you have a model with a water plane, a river, or any sort of water at all, you can replace it with this to get it to animate - which really adds a new level of believability to your animation. Like the Fire, your imagination is allowed to take control, through away what others might say, and create something all your own - with really great controls for automated animations. TIP: For large bodies of water, making a super-large, high resolution Ocean can take up a LOT of resources. Instead, use the replicator to make as many seamless replicas as you need, and they all match up perfectly! I do this all the time!
Here, Cripeman tutors you on making Lake Michigan (I live right along Lake Michigan, but much further north) using the Ocean Primitive

-  Fog   -
This one can really take an otherwise dull outdoors scene and make it look quite real. It has plenty of options to create a huge variety of fog appearances or blurry special effects. Like the others above, it contains automated animation controls saving you the time that you’d normally go through to get objects to go through these processes. Evil Producer prefers to use Volumetric Clouds wherever we would normally place fog - so there’s that option as well. I use fog in nearly every outdoors scene I ever create. Even in Space. A little distant, colored fog and I have a nice nebula or distant galaxy. Unlike Volumetric Clouds, Fog has swirl and chaos functions. You can really get creative with fog for a multitude of still and animated effects.

-  Volumetric Clouds   -
I’ve been telling you about versatility throughout my quick tour of the volumetric primitives. These beauties can’t disappoint in that respect. With Volumetric Clouds in your scene, you have a lot of power. These primitives can interact with lights in your scene in different ways. For instance: If you place a few of these between a sunlight and your render camera, you can create rays! Set them to be affected only by your sunlight and, depending upon placement, you can create a really stormy effect. Place a check in the ‘Use All Lights’ box, and that same scene might just brighten up and turn into a cloudy, but beautiful day. Volumetric Clouds can be used in many ways. They can become a solid block of cotton-like haze; A soft patch of many shapes of puffs - all from a single instance - or add a bunch of them to really get people looking for different shapes as if they were seeing a real sky. Again, like everything else in Carrara, there’s little to no limit on what an vivid imagination can do with these things.
Evil Producer, another Wisconsinite, lol shows them as real clouds in Dragon Flight
More real clouds in PhilW’s Cloud Flight
Dimension Theory demonstrates them in motion in his Carrara Clouds Test and expands the users horizons with his Cloud Nine product sold here at Daz3d.
Take a closer look at the Volumetric Clouds Editor with Cripeman

-  Dynamic Hair   -
Getting a bit off the beaten path, Carrara also has a very powerful Hair editor. Many people use this to grow field grass all over the ground. Grow it on small spheres to create yet another effect - like a weed top, or funky new type of planet. You can select between long-style hair or short fur. Cover animals, grow hair anywhere on any thing. It creates absolutely gorgeous hair for people, too!
Our own Holly Wetcircuit’s Site has some cool tutorials on Hair and Fur, as well as a nice pile of other informative tutorials, links, and freebies.
Here Cripeman teaches how to create and edit hair stubble, with a good explanation of painting hair domains

* Terrain Primitive, Shaders and Presets
Right out of the box, you can use one of many presets from the Native Content collection to get great results from a sample setup of the Terrain Primitive. Open it in the model room and you’ll discover the vast and amazing flexibility that you have with this wonderful object. Change out the shape generator or add another one. Each of these generators have their own set of adjustments to tweak how they affect the terrain. Add a filter or blend in another generator and even try your hand at the advanced generators. Mix and match as much as you like to help make your own imagination come to life!
Enter the shader room and you’ll be introduced to a shader that sets up the appearance of the various aspects of the Terrain primitive. It is fun and easy, yet infinitely diverse, to change any one or more of these appearances to create your own, custom terrain.

One of our incredible Daz3d Published Artists, Mec4d, made this as her first test in animating in Carrara: The Land of the Dragon - Carrara 8 Pro

* Plant Primitive, Shaders and Presets
Like the Terrain Primitive, Carrara plants presets come with a complex shader applied that determines how the plant looks throughout its various aspects. These shaders are really powerful and easy to see, organize, and change in more ways that I could explain briefly here. The Primitive itself is set up within the model room, where you have complete control over the growing habits of your plant. Carrara 8 has made vast improvements enabling easier shaping and the addition of multiple leaf types on the same plant. Berries and Cones, etc., can now be an entirely separate model and added here. Very cool!
If you have the time, you should definitely check out Cripeman’s Tree Tour tutorial.

* Particle Emitters, Physics, and Forces
In Carrara, the 3d space into which you create your scene is yours to control. Physics and flying particles behave however you direct your environment to behave - and it can be as simple as dropping an emitter into your work space and setting a few parameters. It can also become an incredibly complex system of flowing forces and spawning particles - like a flowing river, swift moving steam or fog, lava erupting from a volcano and flowing menacingly down the side onto the landscape below. Set objects in motion and let your physics settings control the result of the animation. Age of Armor had great fun smashing a GT 40 race car into a giant ball bearing! Dimension Theory can relax you into a trance with his dancing lights in Light as Substance!
While I’m providing links, here’s a great Intro to Physics in Carrara by our very own super hero, Cripeman. I really like PhilW’s Bullet Physics Test and Bruce Hoins, from Daz3d, made this excellent Introduction to the new Bullet Physics library integration for Carrara 8 Pro.

* Powerful Shader Tools
I feel more at home with shaders in Carrara than with any other software I’ve ever tried. I will go into some good detail on this in articles to come in the near future. When you first bring in an object set up for use in Poser or Daz Studio, it is quite common that it will come in with shader settings that make it look plastic. This is only due to a difference in how Carrara handles shader properties. Although this means that you’ll need to make some subtle changes in order to achieve adequate renders, you’ll quickly learn to appreciate the power that you now have with your render quality by owning Carrara!
Cripeman has made a wonderful tutorial of tips for Displacement Mapping in the Carrara Shader Room and he ends up saving you a LOT of time with his insight. He has more tutorials that visit the shader room, but here are some that are more dedicated to the subject of shaders:
Natural Shaders

Making Windows Shader for a Distant Skyline

SSS vs Glow

Seeing Through Transparency

Toon Shading

How to Make a Fake Planet

Rust

Terrain Shading
Thanks, Cripeman, for being so awesome and showing us glimpses of your knowledge of Carrara!
You can see my compiled index of his infamous teachings right here:
Cripeman’s Video Tutorial Index

* Poser and Daz Studio compatibility
One of the things that makes Carrara entirely unique from anything else on the market is the fact that it treats Poser style figures, props, poses and scenes, even scenes containing dynamic clothing simulations, as if they were native Carrara content. No other modeler on the market can do this so flawlessly! It was this functionality that I was looking for when I found Carrara. I needed to use Daz3d content - as my ambitions to animate were too heavy for me to try to model all of my assets myself. So I’ve taken on the attitude that I am the director, producer, and lead animator and that Daz3d and their Published Artists are my assets team. They work for cheap, too! Imagine how much it would cost me to have someone with Stonemason’s talent and experience to build any one of his products in house. Now go look at how affordable it is for my project. Amazing, huh! I used Stefan as an example, but the same holds true for everyone at Daz3d. And if I should ever feel otherwise, there’s no loss due to their unconditional 30 day money back guarantee! Sounds like a sales pitch, perhaps. But it isn’t. If I had to build my entire collection of Daz3d products myself, I certainly wouldn’t be where I am today.

Some items might need a plugin to work, like aniMate’s aniBlocks require the aniBlock Importer for Carrara, which has been an amazing feature for me - as all I ever do is animate - for the most part. aniMate has saved me a lot of time and, since I purchased all of their Martial Arts aniBlock sets, Rosie can fend off all of those Evil Orcs and other assorted nasties with ease, in style, and with the precision of a real black belt. Thanks GoFigure! If you’re interested in such a thing, but don’t already have a collection of aniBlocks, there are two bundles with the Importer to help build a quick collection at a great deal: aniBlock Importer Starter Bundle and aniBlock Importer Pro Bundle. Again, I apologize if this looks like a pitch. Just trying to help you you need a little direction.

Also, I mentioned above how flawlessly Carrara reads Poser files. There are some things that all Carrara artists have to get used to. One of the major ones is that many Poser figures, such as Victoria 4, load in with blue highlights. This is not a bug - as it makes her look great in Poser - her designated purpose softy (I often refer to software as softy, softies being the plural - just in case you see me talk that way later on! wink ). It is quite easy to get used to changing the highlight color. Most people I’ve talked to just hit the little triangle at the bottom of the color box, which loads ‘black’ into that color box - which eliminates the highlight - and remove that ‘plastic look’ that you see in so many renders. Indigone has created a fantastic freebie shader kit for V4, but I’ve been using it for all of my characters as a base. The included tutorial taught me a lot about Carrara Shaders, and how to really get a great look on people within Carrara. There are two: V4 Skin Shader and Lights Kit and Endless Eye Kit for V4 for Carrara

* 3d Modeling
The fact that Carrara can model at all sets it apart from most every Poser-compatible softy on the market today. But Carrara has a great collection of tools for Spline modeling and Vertex modeling. This is huge, as it initially enabled me to make the morphs I’ve always wished I had on my existing Poser style figures’ clothing and hair. Now I find myself constantly building stuff in there. Like everything else in Carrara, the modeling rooms have a very friendly interface taking much of the confusion of learning to model out of the equation. Starting with a specific initial shape at specific dimensions is super simple. Then you have a great assortment of user-friendly, yet sophisticated and professional tools to maneuver those vertices into your dream model. Dynamic extrusion rocks, as with all of the other functions and features. We’ll get into that more later.
For now, if you’d like to see some basic modeling fun, with a pleasant mix of shading in the texture room, etc., check out this series on making a cityscape by Cripeman:
How to Model a Cityscape Pt 1

How to Model a Cityscape Pt 2

How to Model a Cityscape Pt 3

How to Model a Cityscape Pt 4

Pete Gregorio has a wonderful online video tutorial that demonstrates some
wonderful features within Carrara’s Vertex Modeler: Carrara 8 Gears Tutorial

* Superior Rendering through Global Illumination Features
You hear a lot of members discussing was to “Get around” using one of Carrara’s very powerful rendering facilities, Global Illumination. So much, even, that you may go for years without ever trying it out. The fact is, if you own Carrara, you own some really powerful tools towards making some of the most spectacular renders anywhere. Before you dismiss the idea of using it, See what Cripeman has to say about it. He’ll show you how it’s really nothing to be afraid of. It’s something to work into your work flow to produce nicer, smoother, more accurate shadows and reflections. For complex scenes that require a lot of placed lights, perhaps global illumination would add too much to the render times, so other methods should be looked at. But all I ask, is that you watch the tutorial and try it for yourself. You’ll be glad you did.
One of our really great render artists, Koutsuko, can melt you into a pile of goo with some of her renders of Aiko, and she’s almost (if not always) always using ambient occlusion, which is a feature of the global illumination rendering system.

Work in Progress
This is something I intend to work on as I wait for long-term renders with the intention of creating a “Living Manual” for Carrara

Image Attachments
DR-Poster-Defend.jpg
 Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 30 January 2013 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4892
Joined  2006-08-27

Not to quibble Dart, but you may want to separate the volumetric clouds from the fire and fog primitives in your decription. They’re different animals. The effects may look similar at first blush, but the cloud primitive is as different from the volumetric clouds as the fountain primitive is from the particle emitter. Strike volumetric from the description and it reads just fine.

A couple illustrations to show the differences between the volumetric clouds and the cloud and fog primitives. The most noticeable to me is that the primitives are just kind of there. They don’t interact really with the lighting. I placed a spot light behind and slightly above each example. The only one to show light interaction is the volumetric cloud.

Image Attachments
Volumetric_clouds.jpgcloud_primitive.jpgfog_primitive.jpg
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 30 January 2013 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

I bought the mini sub for the specific reason of giving my lo-rez MU Workers a nice, scifi utility cart.
It works nice, I think.

Image Attachments
SciFiCitySilly.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2013 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
Dartanbeck - 30 January 2013 05:39 PM

I was under the impression that volumetric clouds were primitives, which is what I was referring to. There are many more primitives to choose from, beyond those I’ve mentioned.
Also, I’ll be trying pretty hard to keep from being opinionated. For instance, I know that you NEVER use fog or older clouds, but I use fog and others use those other clouds. People who use these items will certainly find more mileage from them compared to someone who doesn’t.

They’re different primitives and they’re not volumetric. The animation controls and render times are vastly different. Since you mentioned just dropping them in and easily animating them, it seemed wise to mention the difference so as to avoid frustration and confusion for the new user.

Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2013 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Cripeman Tutorials Index

The Cripeman has been soaring Carrara skies for years now, and has been faithfully saving humanity through his imaginative advice on how we can get Carrara to do what we need it to do. If you’re new to using Carrara, the Cripeman’s tutorial collection can direct you through many aspects of the software. Personally, I enjoy each and every one and have watched most of them more than once - and I hope that the Cripeman keeps this up… forever! 

It can be a little daunting trying to find what you’re looking for by simply navigating YouTube. Also, I feel that his advice and pleasant teaching techniques would be the perfect addition to a Living Carrara User’s Manual.
Because of this, and with his permission, I have compiled a fully linked list of all of his tutorials to date. I’ll try to keep my eyes open for new ones and add them accordingly. If you notice that one is missing, or if you feel that one (or more) link should belong in a different category in the list, please let me know. But this is a rather large endeavor, so please be patient.

Enjoy
  cool hmm

Carrara Features

Preferences

Global Illumination

Glare, Blur, and 3d Aura

Backdrop and Background

The Ocean Primitive

Carrara Terrains

Volumetric Clouds

Metaballs

Tree Tour

Playing with Fire

3D Paint

Displacement Mapping

Dynamic Hair

Making a Skullcap in Poser

Guide Hair Styling

Shader Hair Styling

Razor Stubble / Hair Domains

Plant Primitive

Trees on Terrain

Tree Rustling

Making a Christmas Tree Using the Plant Modeler

Lighting and Rendering

Basic Lighting

Light Gels

Rendering with Alpha Channels

Creating Lights From Textures Using Anything Glows

Interactive Renderer

How to Make a Blueprint Style Render

3 Point Lighting

Fingers of God Effect

Neon Using Anything Glows

Generate HDR Images for Carrara

Particles and Physics

Intro to Physics in Carrara

Let it Snow

Making Your Own Particles

Particle Creation Menu

Particle Shaders

Particle Creation with Particle Shaders

Sequential Particles

Fountain Tricks

Setting up Particle Emitter for Forces

Shapes as Emitters

Writing with the Particle Emitter

Force Control

Forces Tour

Modeling a Chain (Physics Chain 1)
Physics Chain 2

Making Steam

Shaders

Natural Shaders

Making Windows Shader for a Distant Skyline

SSS vs Glow

Seeing Through Transparency

Toon Shading

How to Make a Fake Planet

Rust

Terrain Shading

Animation

Special Presentation: Eadward Muybridge - Grandfather of Animation

Creating Motion Paths

Creating a Wing Flap Animation

Intro to Bones

Bones Influence

Making a Logo Flying Around the World

Animating Wavy Text

Making a Muzzle Flash

Compositing Tips

Exporting Animated Poses from Poser to Carrara

Making and Animating Gears

Modeling

Cool Carrara Tricks - Building Better Bricks

Cool Carrara Tricks - Building a Cityscape Pt 1

Cool Carrara Tricks - Building a Cityscape Pt 2

Cool Carrara Tricks - Modeling a Mailbox

Modeling a Barrel using the Lathe Tool

How to Make a Steam Punk Arch

How to Model a Cityscape Pt 1

How to Model a Cityscape Pt 2

How to Model a Cityscape Pt 3

How to Model a Cityscape Pt 4

How to Make a Mushroom Cloud Pt 1

How to Make a Mushroom Cloud Pt 2

Make a Display Case

Modeling a Rope

Making a Simple Flower

Making Keyboard Shortcuts for the Spline Modeler

Modeling a Human Head Part 1

Modeling a Human Head Part 2

Modeling a Human Head Part 3

Model a Figurine in 10 Minutes

Model a Facade

Modeling Pipes

Modeling Ruled Surfaces

Making Morph Targets on Your Figures

Replicator

Precision Replication

SciFi Elements

How to Make Your Own Starfield

Distributing Objects with Shaders

More Excellent Cripeman Tutorials That have yet to be catagorized

Cripeman’s dedication to Frank Frazetta
Where he links to a feature-length special on the artist himself:
Frank Frazetta - Painting with Fire

Making a 3d Object out of a 2d image

The 3DUniverse Toon Generation Figure

Make a Hologram

Textured Fire

Bryce Textures in Carrara

String Lights on a Christmas Tree

Birds in Trees

Electricity

Make a Mountain of Skulls

Making Graffiti

Making a Romantic Moon

Frosted Glass

Sweat

Particle Fire

Merry Christmas

Depth of Field

Precision Alignment in Carrara

Spline Modeler Animation Trick

Volumetrics and FX

Creating a “Planet Hanging in the Sky” Effect

Bryce Terrains to Carrara Terrains

Image Attachments
WFSL2_Storm1.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2013 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
evilproducer - 30 January 2013 06:27 PM
Dartanbeck - 30 January 2013 05:39 PM

I was under the impression that volumetric clouds were primitives, which is what I was referring to. There are many more primitives to choose from, beyond those I’ve mentioned.
Also, I’ll be trying pretty hard to keep from being opinionated. For instance, I know that you NEVER use fog or older clouds, but I use fog and others use those other clouds. People who use these items will certainly find more mileage from them compared to someone who doesn’t.

They’re different primitives and they’re not volumetric. The animation controls and render times are vastly different. Since you mentioned just dropping them in and easily animating them, it seemed wise to mention the difference so as to avoid frustration and confusion for the new user.

True Story. I’ll re-word that somehow.
Thanks again. I always like and need your opinions and advice - and truly appreciate it. Now if only you could honor us with one of your super-awesome renders… wink

Image Attachments
WaspNest.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2013 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

Working on a scene now, inspired by the woman in crystal pics in the Carrara New Hope render thread. I only have time to do it because rehearsal was canceled due to weather, though I do believe you are probably getting/had a bit more snow than I did.

Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2013 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Almost 10” so far

Carrara Plugins
Carrara has more built in features of any content-friendly 3d app I’ve ever seen or heard of. You can also expand your capabilities with plugins. Rather than reinvent the wheel, so to speak, I’m going to direct you to the finest index I’ve ever seen of all of the current plugins available for Carrara.
Holly Wetcircuit’s Web Space  At the time of this writing, the plugin list is found towards the bottom right of the page. Her article “Essential Plugins” is a good read as well. Thank you Holly!

►►►      Back to Table of Contents

Image Attachments
Decisions.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2013 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1374
Joined  2011-01-03
Dartanbeck - 30 January 2013 08:26 PM

Almost 10” so far

0” down here and I couldn’t be more pleased about that. smile

Enjoy shovelling that.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 30 January 2013 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

Only about 5” here. Less as you go north and west.

Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2013 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
Garstor - 30 January 2013 08:38 PM
Dartanbeck - 30 January 2013 08:26 PM

Almost 10” so far

0” down here and I couldn’t be more pleased about that. smile

Enjoy shovelling that.

Enjoy Texas! wink

That’s going to be our high temp. on Friday (less the windchill)!

Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2013 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Quick Links Menu
Just a little tool I decided to add to help navigate this, and other threads

►    Carrara Walkthrough Main Index

►    Forum Help Links

►    Useful Links

►    Tutorials Index

►    Back to Table of Contents

Walkthrough is currently under heavy construction, please bear with me

Image Attachments
RT_Hunter_in_UR1.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 31 January 2013 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4611
Joined  2004-07-01
Dartanbeck - 30 January 2013 09:16 PM

It sure is drifting like mad here. I’m glad it’s not colder than it is, which is single digits… brrrrr… but we’ve certainly seen worse.
Supposed to hit -9 F
Gotta wheelbarrow concrete tomorrow, pouring a basement floor.
I’m an artist, darn it… get somebody else!!! lol
Nah… most of the stuff I get sent on IS the artistic stuff - so I get my share of that. But nothing beats the workouts you get from good ol’ fashioned masonry! We just finished a nice concrete block addition on one of my favorite stores in the world - our local Ace Hardware. They actually gave me my credit account there when I was 8 years old because I needed a master link for my bicycle chain! lol
Love those folks!

Cheers all, and stay warm.
While you’re doing that, scroll up a bit and enjoy some super awesome Cripeman tutorials! cool hmm

nice job with the links !

let me know when it hits -32 my all time low in kenosha

Posted: 31 January 2013 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  0

well done dartanbeck,
I like the intention and the Marvel-like poses of daz figures too; it reminds me John Buscema’s dramatic scenes

Posted: 31 January 2013 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Thanks for the compliments!
I hope I never have to report that I beat -32. Ouch!
I’m really glad that you feel the drama in those scenes. I’m trying some new things. Some turn out to be something I really like. Some… not so much wink
I have a passion to help people find help about Carrara. So I hope this evolves nicely.

►►►      Back to Table of Contents

Image Attachments
RT_SC_BUMP_final.jpg
 Signature 

1 of 15