Following your advice, without making any other changes, it turned out much better. I forgot that I had it set with a hair count of only 4,000, which may be why I set it at Very Large for thickness, which I actually kind of like. But it does get a bit Rag-Doll looking close up.
I really like this hair. Just knowing that others are getting good results was enough for me to continue on and make it work. It’s been sitting in my browser all Summer, perhaps longer. I just thought it wouldn’t work.
For stills, I think it’s the best hair (Carrara hair, in general) I’ve ever seen. I wish I could get away with making a conforming hair that worked like this - instead of being so heavy with alpha maps. However, I think this may take just as long to render. When I watch it render a still, it seems to be faster by a margin. Animations seem to be where it really chews time.
Oh… and I turned the clump shader local, silly me for not doing that in the first place. Now I’m going to go for more hairs, thinner hairs, a touch less air friction, and possibly a touch more downward gravity. I can already tell that if I use this hair, I’ll have to animate in sequenced image files - as it has the tendency to drop the roots for a frame. Not sure why, but who cares. Also, instead of using Carrara spheres, I’m using the V4 proxy conforming figure that comes with PhilW’s Advanced Carrara techniques dvd set. If I can’t get this to settle down to an acceptable level (your shorter Kinky Hair test on a globe looks perfect to me), I’ll try converting the proxy to the primitive modeller and see if that makes a difference - other than that, i’ll try a pile of spheres parented to the head, chest and shoulders at the very least. Tougher is that when your going for this long of hair. She found out that I love long hair. So, without telling me why, she didn’t ever get her hair cut for our first eight years of marriage! lol
I never complained!