Is there a Blender node in Shader Mixer? Answer: the Mix brick
Posted: 28 January 2013 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5573
Joined  2006-02-20

OK, the title says it all ...

But for those not knowing Poser, but DazStudio:
The Blender node lets me use the input of a black and white picture to get different material inputs on the black and on the white part of the picture. Very useful, when a skirt has only one material zone ...
Different bumps, different textures, whatever.

Anybody?

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 28 January 2013 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Not that I know of…but take a look at this…

Richard posted a recipe for doing double sided…

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/15484/P15/

And 3dcheapskate has a layered material

http://www.sharecg.com/v/66637/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/DAZ-Studio-Shader-For-S.E.Asian-Shields

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 28 January 2013 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

Thank you for answering!

Well, maybe I just have to give up on the idea ... sigh.

Edit: downloading the shields and this shader thing now and going to poke at it. LOL

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 28 January 2013 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  892
Joined  2007-01-04

In SM it’s called the Mix brick, you plug your “mask” into the alpha, and use the base & layer to add your effects to it.

Signature 

**shuffles of with a new headache** tongue wink

Posted: 28 January 2013 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

Thank you very, very much!
I love this forum! :D

Signature 

Posted: 28 January 2013 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

More questions - I am getting an error message when rendering and the different bump maps don’t show and I don’t know how to give them different settings (min and max).

3Delight message #145 (Severity 1): S2073: ‘elr_9217ba45_c801_4421_913f_8e6c24749280_token_187’ is not a parameter of shader ‘brickyard/{5418713f-3ab8-4f30-88c3-35a456099b1a}/shader_Displacement’

Image Attachments
shadermixerBrickyard.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 28 January 2013 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-04

1) What are you trying to achieve, bump, displacement or both.

2) JPG don’t have an alpha channel, so none of your image map bricks are outputting anything to the Mix brick, use Color instead.

Edit

The attached pic is something along the lines of what you want for Bump, the three Image Map bricks have been slightly renamed to show where they are meant to connect.

Image Attachments
masking_bump.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 28 January 2013 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
Bejaymac - 28 January 2013 10:19 AM

2) JPG don’t have an alpha channel, so none of your image map bricks are outputting anything to the Mix brick, use Color instead.

Or if you need the alpha channel, you will need to switch to png or tif images…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 29 January 2013 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2202
Joined  2005-09-05
Kerya - 28 January 2013 02:39 AM

OK, the title says it all ...

But for those not knowing Poser, but DazStudio:
The Blender node lets me use the input of a black and white picture to get different material inputs on the black and on the white part of the picture. Very useful, when a skirt has only one material zone ...
Different bumps, different textures, whatever.

Anybody?

Beaten to the punch as your initial question has been answered. I just want to mention that you can mix other bricks beside the image brick. I’ve been using Marble with the edgeblend to get the first effect and the second is using the checker with an image tile with edge blend. Edge blend is great as it allows you to blend two colours an inner and an outer colour, I like to plug one into the base and one into the layer of a mix block and the image with the checks has the checker brick plugged into the alpha with an image attached in grayscale.

Image Attachments
yellowwithpurplemarble2.jpgchecks_with_image.jpg
 Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 29 January 2013 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

Thank you Bejaymac!
I was tired when I tried that.
(Note to myself: don’t dare the shadermixer when you are tired!)

I want two different Bumps - I just imported the shader from the existing texture and thought I can split from there.
A noise map at the bottom of the skirt to get a velvet effect hemline and “normal” cloth bump map for the rest.

OK, and specular will get two different settings too (if I succeed) a velvet node for the hemline and normal for the rest.

Pendraia: you lost me. Looks great, but I really can’t visualize what you did to get those effects it. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 29 January 2013 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Kerya - 29 January 2013 02:17 AM

Thank you Bejaymac!
I was tired when I tried that.
(Note to myself: don’t dare the shadermixer when you are tired!)

I want two different Bumps - I just imported the shader from the existing texture and thought I can split from there.
A noise map at the bottom of the skirt to get a velvet effect hemline and “normal” cloth bump map for the rest.

OK, and specular will get two different settings too (if I succeed) a velvet node for the hemline and normal for the rest.

Pendraia: you lost me. Looks great, but I really can’t visualize what you did to get those effects it. LOL

Sorry I lost you…I’ll try and post the network this weekend. Won’t get time before that as I started back at work today.

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 29 January 2013 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

It’s not you - it’s me. I just rarely venture into the Shadermixer ... it is scary! wink

Signature 

Posted: 29 January 2013 04:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Kerya - 29 January 2013 03:45 AM

It’s not you - it’s me. I just rarely venture into the Shadermixer ... it is scary! wink

When I first started to use it my brain felt like it was melting out of my ears…at times it still feels like that! So I get where you’re coming from…; )

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 29 January 2013 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-04

No scarier than the material room in Poser, even today most Poser users rarely venture into it, and if it wasn’t for people like BB sharing their wisdom there would be even less using it. Our problem is the usual lack of information, so for most of us it’s a case of groping around in the dark, something I’d probably still be doing if Richard hadn’t thrown me a light back in 3.0, as I had no idea what I was doing (still don’t half the time) as maths and me don’t get on, I failed it badly 30+ years ago and haven’t looked at it since. But that doesn’t stop me experimenting, create a primitive, splatter it in bricks from SM and hit render, you might get something nice, then again you might not, but it’s all experience.

The Mix brick is quite powerful as it helps you create some weird and wonderful effects, there’s usually one of them in most things I do, there’s a thread on the old forums by Saganami that showed you what you could achieve with multiple masks on one material zone, sadly the pictures don’t show for me on that thread any more.

Signature 

Posted: 29 January 2013 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

Well, I will try to be brave (and more awake) and brace myself to venture in that place again.
LOL

To see pictures from the forumarchive:
Open this link in a new tab: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/postimages/origimage_1_2481516.jpg
Now copy/paste the origimage_xxxxxx.jpg part in the thread to the Origimage_xxxx.jpg part of the link above.

Could you give me the link to that thread???

Signature 

Posted: 29 January 2013 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-04

Here’s the Link and thanks for the tip on seeing the pictures.

Signature 

1 of 3