Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
What’s the story with Carrara on Mac?
Posted: 03 February 2013 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

If you want to try the beta, the details are in a stickied thread at the top of the Carrara forum…

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 03 February 2013 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-05-03
holly wetcircuit - 03 February 2013 11:34 PM

If you want to try the beta, the details are in a stickied thread at the top of the Carrara forum…

I cannot even open the installer to actually install the beta. It just quits on startup! Same with EVERY item I downloaded from the site when I purchased it.

Posted: 04 February 2013 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8774
Joined  2007-11-06

That sounds like you’re getting corrupt files.  Can you try downloading with a different browser?

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 04 February 2013 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2009-05-03

Just tried in Safari again, and it wouldn’t even extract the zip this time. So I tried in Firefox, and I had the same problem I originally had. The zip will extract, but the installer quits immediately after opening it. I only have 1 download attempt left on the 8.5 Beta LOL.

Posted: 04 February 2013 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2005-08-31

Scott,

I wouldn’t give up on Carrara yet. It may be something simple. I’m able to use and install Carrara on a new iMac running 10.8.2 . Mountain Lion has some new security features called sandboxing that could be the problem. Sandboxing was designed to keep malware from installing on your system. There are different settings that you can adjust to allow programs to install. These are in the security tab in the system preferences.  The default only allows software that is purchased from the App store to be installed. Daz’s installers have to be run a different way than normal now. It’s very simple. Instead of double clicking the installer, right click on it and then select “Open”. That bypasses Apple’s Sandboxing one time. You’ll have to do the same thing for each install or set your preferences to allow unknown software to install. Which I wouldn’t do. I hope that works.

Posted: 04 February 2013 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2009-05-03
BrianP21361 - 04 February 2013 07:21 AM

Scott,

I wouldn’t give up on Carrara yet. It may be something simple. I’m able to use and install Carrara on a new iMac running 10.8.2 . Mountain Lion has some new security features called sandboxing that could be the problem. Sandboxing was designed to keep malware from installing on your system. There are different settings that you can adjust to allow programs to install. These are in the security tab in the system preferences.  The default only allows software that is purchased from the App store to be installed. Daz’s installers have to be run a different way than normal now. It’s very simple. Instead of double clicking the installer, right click on it and then select “Open”. That bypasses Apple’s Sandboxing one time. You’ll have to do the same thing for each install or set your preferences to allow unknown software to install. Which I wouldn’t do. I hope that works.

On my Mac Pro, I already have it set to open apps from ‘anywhere’. Still no dice. But just now I managed to get Carrara to install fine on one of the iMacs in the studio.

Both my mac pro and two imacs are running 10.8.2. I even copied the installer over from the iMac just to make sure I was using the same installer file. Still, installer crashes upon opening on my Mac Pro.

I’m going to attempt to manually copy the fully installed app from the imac to my pro. Will report back how I go. I appreciate the assistance smile

Posted: 04 February 2013 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5521
Joined  2006-08-27

I guess I would start looking to see what’s different about the Mac Pro versus the iMacs. Does the pro have some third party utilities that the iMacs don’t?

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 04 February 2013 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2009-05-03

OK another quick update - I created a new user on my mac pro, and the installer works fine. What the?!?!?

Posted: 04 February 2013 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5521
Joined  2006-08-27
scottrichardson - 04 February 2013 03:48 PM

OK another quick update - I created a new user on my mac pro, and the installer works fine. What the?!?!?

What do you do to maintain your system? Do you have any third party utilities installed? Device drivers?

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 04 February 2013 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2009-05-03

I have some USB3 PCI card drivers installed (but no card currently installed) and I also have some Apogee Duet II Audio Interface drivers installed… but these are installed for all users, not just one. So that doesn’t explain it. Assuming there’s some permissions error, although I tried repairing permissions to no avail :(

Posted: 09 February 2013 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  409
Joined  2008-08-29
scottrichardson - 04 February 2013 03:48 PM

At a guess, something in ~/Library folder is interactiving in a negative fashion. Easy way to test is to rename the (hidden) folder from a different (admin) account and log back in as the problem user. That blows away all kinds of things, but if it works you can try to do a comparison of the new and old ~/Library folders.

And of course you can log out, back in as an admin user, move the old ~/Library folder back into place to restore things.

If you are comfortable digging into things another option would be to browse the ~/Library folder structure for Daz/Carrara things, rename them and try again.

On the whole, I haven’t seen as many user profile issues on OS X as on Windows, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist (and I’ve dealt with far more Windows than OS X users so nothing should be read into the relative frequency)

Signature 

Swamp Living Never Felt So Good

Posted: 10 May 2013 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  0

Carrara 8 doesn’t work on my Mac running Lion or Mountain Lion. Never has. This has been an issue with Carrara since the beginning of time. They just can’t seem to make a Mac version that works, especially since 8.5.
No excuses.
Final Cut works. After Effects works. Excel and Word work. Premiere works.
This “Apple’s fault” is ridiculous.
DAZ has never given support to the Mac community. Probably never will.

Posted: 10 May 2013 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2005-08-31

ricmorton,

You should try the Carrara 8.5 beta (now at version 204). It works very well on my Macs running Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8.3).

Posted: 10 May 2013 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  409
Joined  2008-08-29
ricmorton - 10 May 2013 11:22 AM

Carrara 8 doesn’t work on my Mac running Lion or Mountain Lion. Never has. This has been an issue with Carrara since the beginning of time. They just can’t seem to make a Mac version that works, especially since 8.5.
No excuses.
Final Cut works. After Effects works. Excel and Word work. Premiere works.
This “Apple’s fault” is ridiculous.
DAZ has never given support to the Mac community. Probably never will.

Have you filed a bug report? I prefer 8.5 to 8 and it works just fine for me on Mountain Lion. Well, other than a few bugs, but I’ve reported issues I’ve encountered.

Signature 

Swamp Living Never Felt So Good

Posted: 10 May 2013 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2010-09-22

SO RELEASE THE NEXT DAMN VERSION!

2 of 3