Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
What’s the story with Carrara on Mac?
Posted: 27 January 2013 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-01-27

Greetings Carrara community!

I apologize if this question has been asked before; I feel it must have, but a forum search didn’t turn anything up aside from a potentially similar topic about Bryce.

I’m a hobbyist who started out with Ray Dream Studio in the 90’s, took a break, returned with Carrara in the early 2000’s (back when it was under development by Eovia), took a break and switched to Mac OS X, and now would like to return.  I’m delighted to see that Carrara has been taken in by DAZ 3D and received active development.  Since it’s what I was most familiar with, it’s my default choice to return to 3D rendering with.

My concern is the Mac compatibility issue.  Carrara 8 had major issues with OS X 10.7, and my understanding is OS X 10.8 is the same.  Carrara 8.5, still in beta, seems like it will restore compatibility with OS X 10.7 and 10.8.  I’d be fine with waiting for Carrara 8.5, but it’s concerning to me that the compatibility issue took so long to address.  It’s been a year and a half since OS X 10.7 was released, after all; I’d hate to buy Carrara 8.5, only to upgrade to OS X 10.9 (supposedly due this summer) and then potentially get hit with another compatibility bug that would take another 1-2 years to fix.  Virtualizing Windows or earlier versions of OS X are possibilities (although they come with a significant performance hit), as is delaying a major OS upgrade for a few months.  Holding off on operating system upgrades for that long isn’t doable for me, though.

Has anyone in the community heard anything about what’s going on with Mac support?  Has DAZ 3D taken steps to ensure that a fix to such a major compatibility issue would be quicker in the future?  I’m just looking for some reassurance that I wouldn’t find myself stranded for more than a few months if a major incompatibility occurred.

Thanks!

Posted: 27 January 2013 11:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Unless APPLE decides to pull another ‘let’s kill all backwards compatibility’ with 10.9 then it shouldn’t be an issue.  Most of this is Apple’s fault…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 28 January 2013 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
mjc1016 - 27 January 2013 11:12 PM

Unless APPLE decides to pull another ‘let’s kill all backwards compatibility’ with 10.9 then it shouldn’t be an issue.  Most of this is Apple’s fault…

Agree, this is Apple’s “fault”. The major compatability issues involved moving the fonts folder in osX.6, and then moving a lot of internal assets in X.7… I guess it had something to do with making the os more effecient, but it’s not like it was some dramatic coding thing, they just reorganized the OS folders from what I can tell, and that’s what broke most things….

C8.5 is running very smooth for me on osX.7

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 28 January 2013 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2005-08-31

With the risk of starting an argument I’m going to stick up for Apple on this one. Sure they changed things. They do it all the time. So does Microsoft. Unfortunately, it broke Carrara. However, all developers get advance copies of the OS to test their software and make it ready for upgrades. In this case Daz had at least 4 months to prepare for the changes before Lion was released. Here we are a year and a half later and Daz has yet to fix OSX compatibility. Sure, the beta runs about 95% in Lion and Mountain Lion, but it’s still a beta. There really should have been an 8.2 release that made it compatible with Lion.

I love Carrara. I’ve been using it since version 1.0 and Infini-D before that. I try to stay away from all the Daz bashing in the forums because it’s really not very productive. But enough is enough! It’s time to release 8.5. And it better work this time. I don’t want to wait for 8.6 for a stable version.

My two cents.

Posted: 29 January 2013 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
BrianP21361 - 28 January 2013 05:42 PM

Sure, the beta runs about 95% in Lion and Mountain Lion, but it’s still a beta. There really should have been an 8.2 release that made it compatible with Lion.

I love Carrara. I’ve been using it since version 1.0 and Infini-D before that. I try to stay away from all the Daz bashing in the forums because it’s really not very productive. But enough is enough! It’s time to release 8.5. And it better work this time.

95%...? What is the 5% that is not working under osX for you?

Signature 

Posted: 29 January 2013 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-08-31

Holly,

Three things come to mind right away. The spot render is completely broken for me. With big scenes I get errors saving about 50% of the time. An occasional hang up and crash when quitting a render.  Lot’s of Genesis errors, but I don’t count those because its still in beta.

Posted: 29 January 2013 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
BrianP21361 - 29 January 2013 09:54 AM

Holly,

Three things come to mind right away. The spot render is completely broken for me. With big scenes I get errors saving about 50% of the time. An occasional hang up and crash when quitting a render.  Lot’s of Genesis errors, but I don’t count those because its still in beta.

My spot render is also broken, on at least 1 computer. I was told it’s my computer’s fault even though it worked in the previous beta… blank stare

I don’t get the crashes on saving unless it is a specific weird figure like CyberV4… I was able to save the figure by using the browser instead of Save As…

I don’t use Genesis.

Signature 

Posted: 29 January 2013 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-08-31

I’ve seen the problem with the spot render on three different computers all with different video cards and processors. Like you it worked fine with a prior beta. I don’t believe it’s a computer problem. It’s Carrara. Fortunately the save issue only happens the first time I save, every time I save. . If I click cancel and then save as, it does work. The scene is kind of large with Stonemason’s Urban Sprawl 2, Two M4’s, an M3 and a Genesis figure. It’s annoying but not a deal breaker.

Posted: 29 January 2013 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

Losing the spot render tool has definitely slowed everything down for me. Here is my bug report still listed as “new” since October:
https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=48182

Please add to it if you have more info.

Signature 

Posted: 29 January 2013 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-08-31

Holly,

I added the information for the three computers that show the same issue.

Posted: 30 January 2013 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

Thank you… Once I saw I’d lost it on one computer I didn’t upgrade my other Mac… stayed with .132 (or whatever the number of that beta was…)

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2013 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2013-01-27

I appreciate the replies.  I’m not looking to assign blame to a company; it’s quite possible that Apple doesn’t make things easy for software developers.  I’m not a software developer, so I wouldn’t know.  Daz certainly wouldn’t be unique in the issues that they had, either.  I believe the Maya community recorded a number of complaints about support for OS X 10.7 and/or OS X 10.8, as well.  But as far as I’ve seen, there aren’t any actively developed 3D render suites with Mac versions that are still incompatible with OS X 10.8, aside from Carrara.

I just want to avoid a scenario where I buy software and then find myself unable to use it for any time longer than a few months as major bugs are ironed out.  If it’s true that they had a single Mac developer who subsequently left the company and that resulted in the massive compatibility delays with Bryce and Carrara, I’d understand.  I just want to know what the company is doing to ensure that a scenario like that wouldn’t happen again.  And if the Mac isn’t a priority platform for Daz, that’s perfectly OK and I won’t hold it against them.  It would simply mean that I would unfortunately have to look around for a render suite with more commitment to the Mac platform.  There’s nothing personal about it.

If I have it right, what I’ve gleaned from the community is that version 8.5 is due to come out of beta some time in February (which may just be a rumor?).  Compatibility with OS X 10.7 and 10.8 should be fixed with that release.  However, there’s no indication that Daz has done anything to strengthen support for Mac development.  Does that sound about right?

Posted: 02 February 2013 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

HI dzkalir smile

No, ...very little of that sounds right,.
it sounds like you’re reading forum rumours,. from people who don’t work for Daz3D.

The “Main” reasons for the Beta development of Carrar8.5 is to add support for Mac OS, and to integrate the latest Daz3D figure (genesis) and all of it’s new technology, into Carrara.

One reason that this has taken longer than anyone anticipated is that there have been some new file formats developed for Daz Studio and Carrara, which are still being tweaked.

I have no idea how many “Mac” developers Daz3D employ,. but it would seem to be an insane business strategy to have only one developer for any platform, working on several applications at the same time.

What if they were ill,  or dropped dead, or got a better job offer… 
Then you’re out of business, or looking for a replacement and spending development time to bring them up to speed with the applications.

As for Bryce,. As far as I’m aware,. It’s development cycle came to an end at the wrong time,  and Mac OS support will be added to the next version.

Also,...Many programmers are Multi platform.

As far as I’m aware, there’s supposed to be some information from Daz3D this month,.
what that information is,.. we’ll know when it’s announced.

Until then,.. the rumours will continue.

hope that makes sense smile

Posted: 02 February 2013 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

3DAGE is correct.

Carrara’s beta was interrupted while Genesis and the interchange formats were being finalized. The beta works very well on Mac except for a few issues we expect will get sorted once the development resumes. In fact the beta has fixed a huge amount of issues that were in 8.1 on Mac (like a deadly memory leak). 64bit rocks! It’s very stable.

We were told there will be “an announcement in Feb. we dont know what…

Signature 

Posted: 03 February 2013 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2013-01-27
3DAGE - 02 February 2013 08:25 PM

The “Main” reasons for the Beta development of Carrar8.5 is to add support for Mac OS, and to integrate the latest Daz3D figure (genesis) and all of it’s new technology, into Carrara.

One reason that this has taken longer than anyone anticipated is that there have been some new file formats developed for Daz Studio and Carrara, which are still being tweaked.

Thank you very much, this is exactly the sort of information that I figured the community could provide! smile I’ll be holding out for the February announcement, then.

Posted: 03 February 2013 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-05-03

Hi all. I just purchased Cararra 8 but I cannot even install any of it. None of the installers will open. They quit instantly. Now I’m feeling sheepish for not having read the forums before purchasing. I’m on a Mac Pro with 10.8.2. I was on the beta team back when it was under Eovia’s wing.

Should I be calling and asking for a refund?

1 of 3