Greetings Carrara community!
I apologize if this question has been asked before; I feel it must have, but a forum search didn’t turn anything up aside from a potentially similar topic about Bryce.
I’m a hobbyist who started out with Ray Dream Studio in the 90’s, took a break, returned with Carrara in the early 2000’s (back when it was under development by Eovia), took a break and switched to Mac OS X, and now would like to return. I’m delighted to see that Carrara has been taken in by DAZ 3D and received active development. Since it’s what I was most familiar with, it’s my default choice to return to 3D rendering with.
My concern is the Mac compatibility issue. Carrara 8 had major issues with OS X 10.7, and my understanding is OS X 10.8 is the same. Carrara 8.5, still in beta, seems like it will restore compatibility with OS X 10.7 and 10.8. I’d be fine with waiting for Carrara 8.5, but it’s concerning to me that the compatibility issue took so long to address. It’s been a year and a half since OS X 10.7 was released, after all; I’d hate to buy Carrara 8.5, only to upgrade to OS X 10.9 (supposedly due this summer) and then potentially get hit with another compatibility bug that would take another 1-2 years to fix. Virtualizing Windows or earlier versions of OS X are possibilities (although they come with a significant performance hit), as is delaying a major OS upgrade for a few months. Holding off on operating system upgrades for that long isn’t doable for me, though.
Has anyone in the community heard anything about what’s going on with Mac support? Has DAZ 3D taken steps to ensure that a fix to such a major compatibility issue would be quicker in the future? I’m just looking for some reassurance that I wouldn’t find myself stranded for more than a few months if a major incompatibility occurred.